Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question Nocturnal Fragrance Benefits?

Nocturnal use of fragrance has been an interest of mine for some time now. To define my term: the use of fragrance just prior to and during the night. Question: Does fragrance enhance sleep. In my personal experimentation devised to answer this question for myself I have found the answer to be, yes. Our olfactory sense does not shut off during sleep so, if the scent one is wearing during the day makes your life better, why not a scent for night? Since our subconscious works during the sleep cycle it seems logical to me that a sleep environment enhanced with fragrance should help make those times of our psyche's work more pleasant, especially scents that have good memories associated with them. Give this a try and let me know how it works for you. Is your sleep sounder? Do you wake more refreshed? What works for me may not do so for others. What better place for us to try nocturnal fragrance use with an eye toward possible benefit than right here on Basenotes with people intimately involved in fragrance use?

Default Re: Nocturnal Fragrance Benefits?

I'm quite sure that if you applied a certain fragrance before sleeping every night you could classically condition yourself to associate the fragrance with falling asleep. For what it's worth, I could see it possibly helping people who have trouble falling asleep. The "subconscious working" during sleep is probably a myth. There is practically no data on sleep that conclusively supports anything even remotely Freudian.

Moreover, anyone who actively tries to find out "if their sleep is sounder", "if they feel more refreshed" and so on are liable to experience the effects of their own expectations--period. The placebo effect. And the fact that it's self-reported doesn't help either.

Finally, let's not forget: the plural of anecdote isn't data.

I seem to be one of the few fragrance fanatics, here and elsewhere, that doesn't wear scent to bed. I find it distracting. The farthest I'll go is to light a scented candle (usually vanilla, a note that I don't enjoy wearing but love smelling in the air) to help put me in a "comforted" state of mind, ready for sleep. But spraying an actual perfume on my wrist or neck? Forget it. I'd be awake for hours, consciously and subconsciously noting all the nuances of the fragrance and its stages of development. I can't have any ambient noise when I sleep, either, for what it's worth - no waterfall sound machines for me! Pitch black, dead silent, odorless. I sleep like a vampire.

YES!!! One of the biggest reasons i started exploring fragrance was because of the following experience:

Years ago I had absolutely no interest in the hokey notion of Aromatherapy. However, one night I had used spike lavender oil in an oil painting of mine. I later went to sleep not far from the canvas as the powerful fragrance emitted all night.

There were no solvents or chemicals used in this painting, just the vegetable oil in the paint, and the lavender that i added. That night I had the most amazing, vivid, empowering and adventurous dreams while i slept like a drunk baby.

A few days later, i was reading some holistic health type of magazine and flipped to the article on "How to have a good night's sleep" They're recommendation: Using lavendar oil near your bed.

True story. Ever since then, i've been a firm believer in the mystical powers of EOs.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post

Nor is it it's antonym.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post

Nor is it its antonym.

^ i have no idea what either of you just said, so i'll take it as disrespect

srsly though, i've worn some samples at night to test longevity, never to enhance sleep. if anything, they've disturbed my sleep, so i had to shelve that idea.
    Last edited by shadidahs; 6th February 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Don't wear anything prior to sleeping other than what was applied at the start of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by shadidahs View Post
    ^ i have no idea what either of you just said, so i'll take it as disrespect

srsly though, i've worn some samples at night to test longevity, never to enhance sleep. if anything, they've disturbed my sleep, so i had to shelve that idea.
    No disrespect from me!!!! My favorite sleep (anecdotally speaking) comes when I wear lavender dominated scents, or pure lavender eo.

(internet sacrasm fail)

On second thought, Creed Original Vetiver has a calming effect on me, as such it's the only one I can wear and notice enhance sleep. Will have to try lavender. Any specific product recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by shadidahs View Post
    (internet sacrasm fail)
    I actually got your sarcasm... I just am a bit gun shy. It's all about my paranoia.

Lavender EO on your pillow works great... also Caron pour un Homme, Haute Provence and a Taste of Heaven are great at night (IMO)

I am too parsimonious to do this with any of my favourite fragrances.