Code of Conduct

Default On the shirt or on the chest?

I feel like when I spray my chest, my shirt blocks the scent from projecting. It also seems like when I spray my shirt it holds on to the scent longer. What do you guys think?

Default Re: On the shirt or on the chest?

It depends on the scent. Some scents just smell better on fabric, or preserve special notes longer.

The only way is to test.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

I personally spray the chest, never the shirt.

Do whatever you feel works best for you.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I spray both on my skin and clothes. Although on clothes, I spray farther away to avoid perfume stain when it dries.

If it's a light fragrance and doesn't last long on my skin, I always spray on my clothing.

I spray to the chest, then spray a mist into the air about a foot in front of me, walk through it.

If u like the Top Notes, then u can spray on shirt. Because spray on fabric will maintain the top notes for long time.

i havent sprayed fragrance on my clothing since ive been on basenotes except for ones when this girl asked me to spray the fragrance i was wearing on a shirt and give it to her

If it's a longevity and sillage monster, I will spray on my skin. But if it's the opposite, like Creed's MI, I will apply the fragrance to my shirt.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

don't forget a light 'dusting' of the boys

Chest because i've heard that it is bad for the clothes to put cologne on them.Never checked if this really happens to be honest.

How about both. I spray on my chest, drop my shirt, and let the juice soak into my shirt. That way the juice is absorbed into the fabric, and yet it stays fairly close to your body heat. If you spray onto the outside of your shirt or other fabric, sometimes the scent does not progress normally (at least that's what I have found).

I spray to the chest with my fragrances except for Burberry London which seems to last longer if sprayed on a clothing.

BINGO

What JonB said. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Remember, sensory adaption. Others may smell your SOTD just fine but you've become accustomed to it quickly.

I'd say spraying perfume on clothes biases its scent development, i.e. particular notes may be highlighted and certain stages (e.g. top notes) more prominent. I used to apply my fragrance when I already had my clothes on thereby spraying my clothes, too. What I have experienced from that is that in this way the fragrance tends to smell rather monotonously throughout its lifetime.

It wasn't only recently that I've stopped doing that and started applying the fragrance before putting on my clothes. From what I can say now I believe that applying it on skin only gives the fragrance a more "natural" smell as it can develop itself on/from your skin. Furthermore, you may experience an additional burst of perfume if your body warms up (e.g. if you start sweating or enter a warm room) instead of a constant baseline as you would get it from your clothes, which I find enjoyable.
    "He who ruled scent ruled the hearts of men." — Patrick Süskind (Perfume: The Story of a Murderer)

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    It depends on the scent. Some scents just smell better on fabric, or preserve special notes longer.

The only way is to test.
    Agreed. With the fresh "weak" scent from Creed I use to do both. 3 sprays on the shirt, and 3 to the chest.

never to my shirt , I dont want to mark my clothes.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Never on shirt either.
    Daniel + Jonny + Neurosis = The 3 BFF Amigos <3

Always on the skin. Although, once you put your shirt on, the fragrance will inevitably get on your shirt, too.
    My Top Fragrances:
    Hermes: Terre d"Hermes
    Dior: Homme
    Yves Saint Laurent: La Nuit de L'homme
    Burberry: London
    Gucci: Pour Homme
    Rochas: Man
    Azzaro: Pour Homme

Wanted:
    L'Artisan: Fou d'Absinthe; Cristiano Fissore: Cashmere for Men; Parfums d'Nicolai: New York; Divine: L'homme Sage; Montale: Black Aoud; Tauer: L'air du desert Marocain.

I never spray on the shirt.

under the shirt, like jonb said. but i mostly apply to the wrists, same thing, inside the sleeve onto the wrist. staining isn't much of an issue although i would be careful with dark colored perfume on light fabric.

fountain

i spray frags on my temples.