Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Question What else has the Platinum Egoiste/Curve/Fierce vibe?

Let me start this out by saying I suck at describing scents, so I apologize for that. I'll try to relate the best I can.

A few years ago I started wearing cologne consistently when I discovered how much I enjoyed Fierce. (Those of you who hate Fierce, don't bother telling me. I've read it plenty lol.)

That is the first cologne that really appealed to me... I had tried some in the past and never liked them. I'm not a fan of anything very sweet, musky or piney.

I recently discovered Chanel's Platinum Egoiste, which is my current main scent. I LOVE it. Even when I first spray it and it's a bit sour, I enjoy it... and I enjoy the drydown immensely as well.

I also bought Liz Claiborne's Curve. To me, it is in the same vein... it seems a bit sweeter, but at the same time almost sharper than the Chanel, if that makes sense. Almost more of a synthetic kind of scent? I do enjoy it though.

I found a thread on here that recommended Maitre's Garrigue, in relation to these types of scents. I bought it, however that doesn't seem to appeal to me as much. It seems quite a bit sweeter than any of the others, and I got a very classic aftershave kind of scent from it. I will try it some more, but there's a good chance I'll be selling it soon.

Based upon my thoughts on these colognes, what would you guys recommend I try out? It's pretty exciting to find a small genre of scents that really appeal to me. I love the sharp, clean, almost soapy kind of scents... and the Platinum Egoiste is my favorite so far.

Thanks for any help!!
    Last edited by Mark Strube; 6th February 2011 at 05:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks to a friend, I got to try Acqua di Parma Blue Mediteraneo Ciprese di Tuscana today. While its not the same, it does have a similar vibe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What else has the Platinum Egoiste/Curve/Fierce vibe?

Xs Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Post Thanks / Like

Similar to Platinum Egoiste (in terms of scent, projection, and longevity) would be John Varvatos Artisan Black and Carolina Herrera CH Men.

Fresh, clean, and soapy scents would be Prada Amber Pour Homme and Theirry Mugler's Mugler Cologne and Ice*Men.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Fresh, clean, and soapy scents would be Prada Amber Pour Homme and Theirry Mugler's Mugler Cologne and Ice*Men.
    Agreed. Never tried Ice Men but I'm gonna have to. Anyway. I love Mugler. I used to own Prada Amber PH but it was too powdery. Mugler is wonderful and I happily own a bottle.

I also enjoy Fierce and Platinum Egoiste. Your description was good! A warm woodsy citrus for Fierce and I agree Curve is much more synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Kenzo Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also a fan of PE. L'eau Mixte by Parfums de Nicholai has a similar vibe to the opening of PE: great fresh herbal accord. I don't get many compliments on my fragrances, but this is one that I got a few on while sampling...

Sharp, clean, and soapy- doesn't that sound like Azzaro Chrome?

Also, you may enjoy Calvin Klein Eternity or Eternity Summer Editions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I get a similar vibe with Very Sexy for Him by Victoria Secret as I do with Platinum Egoiste. My only complaint about Very Sexy is the longevity SUCKS! Yes, those capital letters are justified. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar with Curve or Fierce but I do find YSL L'Homme has a similar vibe to PE

Eau Mixte

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations! I got a bunch of samples in today so I thought I'd post my reactions, to kind of help build my scent profile.

First, what I didn't like.

Eau de Rochas Homme: Started out kind of clean and nice, but dried down far too bright and lemony for me.

Azzaro Chrome: I can see how this would be considered in this vein, and I almost liked it. But even after the drydown it stayed too synthetic smelling for me. It borders on room freshener, to my nose.

Thierry Mugler Ice Men: A bit too musky and "aqua" smelling for me. It seems almost like a more tamed Rochas.

Paco Rabanne XS: Again musky to me, but this goes in another direction... very earthy but without the sweet notes to make up for it. Not my jam.

Prada Amber Pour Homme: I really wanted to like this one since I wasn't able to buy a sample size. Too powdery, like someone above mentioned.

Finally to the ones I liked!

Cartier Declaration: A very understated "clean" smell that's not too musky, sweet, or citrusy. Very "Irish Tweed" but smells more natural, to my nose. Very nice.

Creed Green Irish Tweed: This literally smells like soap. Very strong, piercing, but enjoyable. Sweeter than most of the others I've tried, but not overpowering.

Chanel Allure: This doesn't really fit into the profile I've been talking about in this thread, but I thought I'd try it since I loved Platinum Egoiste so much. Definitely a different, sweeter vibe... almost makes me think of sweet pipe smoke without the smoke. Very enjoyable.

Any thoughts on my tastes? Further recommendations based on what I wrote above? I am still trying to figure out where I "fit in" in the world of scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Davidoff Champion
    Mont Blanc Legend. My favourite, you just have to try this and let me know.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely CK Eternity. I'm comparing the two now and I'm surprised the similarities don't get mentioned more often. To me Curve smells more like CK Eternity than Platinum Egoiste. They all have the same vibe.