Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If you could have one super-popular male frag in your wardrobe, what would it be?

Ground rules:
    1) If you have one or several super-populars already in your wardrobe, operate under the assumption that you could only keep one.
    2) If you have no super-populars, operate under the assumption that you could add any one to your wardrobe that you wanted.
    3) Super-popular is distinguished from merely popular: Super-popular includes AdG, Cool Water, Gaultier Le Male, Azzaro Chrome, I.Miyaki, 1 Million, Armani Code, Fuel For Life, etc. It does not include merely "popular" frags like M7, He Wood, etc etc etc etc etc.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Default Re: If you could have one super-popular male frag in your wardrobe, what would it be?

I'm guessing Body Kouros does not fall within the 'super popular' category so my vote goes to 1 Million. I'd have chosen Le Male if it weren't for the substitutes that are on the market right now (Cuba, Perry Ellis....)

Default Re: If you could have one super-popular male frag in your wardrobe, what would it be?

Its funny, I was actually thinking about this the other day.

Where are all these people wearing these popular fragrances?

I BARELY smell fragrance on ANYONE. I dont know if its because we live in an era where Axe is more popular then EDT's, ect but during school ive smelt fragrance on a guy twice. Once was Platinum Egoiste and once was Chrome. Ive smelled Acqua Di Gio on a guy ONCE in the last like 2-3 years, and it was some creepy fat kid at a party that used like 15 sprays

To my delight, ive smelled Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male on ONE other person in my entire life. ONCE. and that was the first time i smelled it and the moment i fell in love with it with i smelled it on my friend.

The only other time ive smelled fragrance on someone is my two friends who i gifted with La Nuit and D&G The One.

Green Irish Tweed

If GIT is not deemed "super" popular, then L'eau de Issey Pour Homme.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th February 2011 at 07:18 PM.

None. I don't really like any of them (although I have a bottle of Code that I never wear). Maybe I'm just to old too appreciate these fragrances.

Creed BDP- insofar as this one is popular

Might be Chrome for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Creed BDP- insofar as this one is popular
    I think most of the "normal" crowd around the world hasn`t even heard of a company named Creed.. ;-)

-In eny case, I do not have some ultra popular fragrances in my collection, but if I should pick one, I think it would be CHANEL Allure homme.

If I HAD to, probably Armani Code.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male

Thierry Mugler's - Pure Malt

For me it has to be Creed Windsor but if it has to be super popular then it would be Chrome.
    Want to run with the big dogs stop pooping like a puppy!

lol at people who name creeds.

Terre d'Hermès is still popular, right? I'll go with that. One of my first loves, and still at or near the top for me.

Le Male

The Financial Times Weekend edition list the current super populars as: Bang, The One Gentleman, Bleu de Chanel (which has now given Chanel 10% of the total market), Polo Pony, Colonia Assenza, Terre d'Hermez, and Bulgari Man. The article was by Jim Shi. AdG and Le Male were nowhere on the list.

I'd have to have Bang. Everyone understands pepper and if some biddy yells at you for wearing too much cologne, one can offer the excuse you simply spilled pepper while applying it to your french fries. I kinda like it. T d'H is mighty good for the price too.

Neither is on my to-buy list, however.

Edit: The article also makes it plain there has been a tremendous surge in male fragrance sales since 2007/8 with no sign of abatement. Kudos to YouTube and Basenotes for their roles in doling out the enthusiasm!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    None. I don't really like any of them (although I have a bottle of Code that I never wear). Maybe I'm just to old too appreciate these fragrances.
    Same here, of all the perfumes in your list I wear only Code and very seldom at that, but you would have to catch me dead to wear in public any of the others your mention (although I have most of them in my collection).

My choice would be Silver Mountain Water.

Gotta go with Issey.

No question... Le male

C W without a doubt.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    The Financial Times Weekend edition list the current super populars as: Bang, The One Gentleman, Bleu de Chanel (which has now given Chanel 10% of the total market), Polo Pony, Colonia Assenza, Terre d'Hermez, and Bulgari Man. The article was by Jim Shi. AdG and Le Male were nowhere on the list.

I'd have to have Bang. Everyone understands pepper and if some biddy yells at you for wearing too much cologne, one can offer the excuse you simply spilled pepper while applying it to your french fries. I kinda like it. T d'H is mighty good for the price too.

Neither is on my to-buy list, however.

Edit: The article also makes it plain there has been a tremendous surge in male fragrance sales since 2007/8 with no sign of abatement. Kudos to YouTube and Basenotes for their roles in doling out the enthusiasm!!!!
    my heart just smiled

I would go with Chrome, Le Male as a back-up choice. If you considered any in my wardrobe as super-popular (I didn't think any qualified) they would trump those first two.

Terre d Hermes

*opens santa sock*

I've been a good boy...

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    Its funny, I was actually thinking about this the other day.

Where are all these people wearing these popular fragrances?

I BARELY smell fragrance on ANYONE. I dont know if its because we live in an era where Axe is more popular then EDT's, ect but during school ive smelt fragrance on a guy twice. Once was Platinum Egoiste and once was Chrome. Ive smelled Acqua Di Gio on a guy ONCE in the last like 2-3 years, and it was some creepy fat kid at a party that used like 15 sprays

To my delight, ive smelled Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male on ONE other person in my entire life. ONCE. and that was the first time i smelled it and the moment i fell in love with it with i smelled it on my friend.

The only other time ive smelled fragrance on someone is my two friends who i gifted with La Nuit and D&G The One.
    True, I dont smell fragrances on men very often at all. Being on this forum you kind of get the impression that everyone wears this or that scent and if you wear a "common" scent everyone is going to know and possibly look at you as a follower (and therefore u gotta find a scent that either no one else has or an acquired scent that an "untrained" nose would not understand). i think the general public rarely has a clue what you are wearing, just whether or not they find it to be pleasant.

with that said however i can understand wanting to avoid the extremely popular scents that a lot of the general public may have been exposed to (ie to avoid smelling like someones ex, etc)

And yet, I'd be surprised if Old Spice doesn't outsell all of the above, in terms of bottles or total volume sold. So, I'll go with that.

From the FT list I'd pick Bleu, but I'd never actually buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    with that said however i can understand wanting to avoid the extremely popular scents that a lot of the general public may have been exposed to (ie to avoid smelling like someones ex, etc)
    I would agree - "overly popular" is generally a bit exagerated. That said, the only couple scents I've ever ran into multiple people wearing in a fairly short period of time: Cool Water, AdG, Le Male

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    True, I dont smell fragrances on men very often at all. Being on this forum you kind of get the impression that everyone wears this or that scent and if you wear a "common" scent everyone is going to know and possibly look at you as a follower (and therefore u gotta find a scent that either no one else has or an acquired scent that an "untrained" nose would not understand). i think the general public rarely has a clue what you are wearing, just whether or not they find it to be pleasant.
    Air conditioned places tend to kill sillage. No matter what i wear i end up sillage less in the office for this reason.

Also sometimes we may have olfactory fatigue from the musk and calone saturated air that only non musky or aqua scents stand out.

in my country, there are also people who prefer reconstructed designer scents sold for a fraction of the price (which, stink over time into a very disgusting BO/musk combo) and it does make things worse.

Though I prefer GIT, given the intention of the OP, I'll go Cool Water.

I too rarely smell fragrances on men. But hey, I live in South Central Kansas. Guys around here pretty much think they've gone above and beyond if they spray themselves with some Axe, Tag, or Adidas. Designer is, for all intents and purposes, niche, in these parts. Which, to be quite honest, is fine by me.

The only 2 ''popular'' fragrances that i own are Le Male and 1 Million.Le Male makes my stomach sick and i keep it only because it was a gift from a special person.1 Million for me.

Do you think Fahrenheit falls in your category?

terre d'hermes
    1 million
    bang

who makes colonia assenza? acqua di parma?

L'eau de Issey Pour Homme.

I don't know, something boring like Code or IM, I suppose then I'd cry every day because I'd want something else

If i had to choose, it would be Cool Water. My first ever fragrance, still love it.

Armani Code. I just love it.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Égoïste ... if that is not popular enough,
    then I'd choose Fleur du Male.
    I don't like any of the über popular frags.

I don't know if this is super popular, but I'd go with Bulgari Man.

If not that, then Versace PH. If not that, then Givenchy Play, which is fairly popular.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Terre D'Hermes (Parfum) I assume the EDT might be more popular!?
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Versace ... Givenchy
    Speaking of; I'd like to switch
    my choise of Fleur de Male to
    either The Dreamer or PI.

Dior Homme would be my obvious choice for super-popular PH.

If it has to be super popular....then I will choose not to wear the cologne proudly....don't like to follow the crowd.....

Keeping strictly to the rules, it would have to be Cool Water. Which I do enjoy, but don't own because people have actually asked me not to wear it. It's instantly recognisable, and as such suffers from the scent-of-the-ex associations more than most.

If I had to wear only one super-popular scent and I lived on a desert island by myself, I'd enjoy my Cool Water very much.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Dior Homme would be my obvious choice for super-popular PH.
    Me too.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have two...

YSL L'homme
    YSL La Nuit de L'homme

I'm only going to have La Nuit de L'homme until this 30 ml runs out. Then I'm going niche.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

The Financial Times Weekend edition list the current super populars as: Bang, The One Gentleman, Bleu de Chanel (which has now given Chanel 10% of the total market), Polo Pony, Colonia Assenza, Terre d'Hermez, and Bulgari Man. The article was by Jim Shi.
    You mean this article:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5621228a-2...#axzz1DHy82zXA

I didn't think that list could be the current bestsellers, apart from TdH, all of them were launched in the second half of 2010. There is no way word of mouth has spread enough in that short time for these to outsell AdG and Le Male.

The article says these were the biggest launches of 2010, not the biggest sellers. In other words, they sold larger amounts in their first few weeks compared to the first few weeks sales of fragrances in the past. Not the same thing as biggest sellers at all.

The article does come across as a summary of recent high profile launches, to make the point that the rate of launches has accelerated.

Dependent

with General Public:

Cool Water for Men

On Bn:

Lyric Man (I don't see much of this talked about lately, but I believe the fans are still fans)
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th February 2011 at 06:01 PM.

I would have said Creed's Green Irish Tweed but I don't know if that's "super" popular outside of Basenotes. What I consider super popular are the fragrances I see on my friends' dressers consistently, like Chrome, AdG, Cool Water, Polo Blue, Armani Code, Hugo by HB, Le Male, etc. Of these, I would most likely buy Armani Code since I genuinely think it smells really good (Le Male would be a close 2nd due to its monstrous projection).

Davidoff Cool Water. Easily wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Davidoff Cool Water. Easily wearable.
    Well, in all fairness, they're all easily wearable...that's what makes 'em super-popular
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Armani Code.

Only because I don't think Dior Homme or TdH fall under OP's "super popular" category.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

A Men. If that's not super popular enough then Farenheit. I like to be smelled lol. I think that's the reason most people don't smell these super popular frags on anyone because they are designed to be non intrusive and when is the last time you as a guy smelled some strange dudes neck? Referring to AdG, Coolwater, Code, etc. and even Le Male sprayed on lightly you wont smell them in a room full of people.

YSL L'Homme for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Would Abercrombie and Fitch Fierce work?? That's my choice.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport EDT

Fahrenheit. If not popular enough then Terre D'Hermes

Blog Entries

Terre d'Hermes or 1 Million (Yeah, yeah, shaddap. I actually like it)
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Green Irish Tweed

Boss Bottled

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. To me, it's one of the most versatile scents I've come across. The warmness is great for fall & winter, and the freshness from the initial blast is good for spring & summer. It also smells really good without being too loud or obnoxious like 1 Million or Le Male. Definitely a compliment getter/crowd pleasing scent.

I would own it, but the goal of my wardrobe is to smell great and get lots of compliments while still being unique. Unfortunately, I've smelled this on too many people to consider it unique.

It's great stuff though.

Eternity
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?