Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Question Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and I'm sure they are aware of the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying and using deceptive marketing tactics.

Just seeing the many CREED threads, and the amount of positive reviews for rather mediocre fragrances, makes me wonder if there are people getting some sort of incentive to write positively about CREED products.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Quote Originally Posted by spidersmooth View Post
    CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying, and using deceptive marketing tactics.

Just seeing the many CREED threads, and the amount of positive reviews for rather mediocre fragrances, makes me wonder if there are people getting some sort of incentive to write positively about CREED products.

What are your thoughts?
    What definitive proof do you have of this? I'd be curious myself to know this,

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    What definitive proof do you have of this? I'd be curious myself to know this,
    Look no further than the_good_life.

Creed, on the other hand, has always felt a need to both obscure and rewrite its history from the desire of wishing to appear as a 250-year old fragrance house, rather than as a respected tailor’s who happened to dabble in fragrance and only became a perfume house proper in the late 1960s or beyond (there is little evidence even for this late period).

source: http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

With all the Creed posts you got to wonder.lol I have never received payment from them maybe I should give them a call so I can get on their payroll. Though no amount of money they pay will make me praise REL.lol

I do believe that Creed as well as other industry players have people on boards like this as well as on Amazon and the likes.

how do you think i got my ferrari... im now taking money from Amouage. looted Lutens by and large..
    Last edited by jenson; 7th February 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Could it be that people write positive things about Creed on here because they enjoy their products?

Apparently creed is inconsistent with their batches. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say those who write positive things about them probably got those super magical smelling batches which also happen to have a drop of unicorn tears in each bottle. But only if you believe in creed, you can detect the smell of the unicorn tears and enter the magical olfactory wonderland of creed.

I am on record saying I am not on the Creed payroll.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Could it be that people write positive things about Creed on here because they enjoy their products?
    you have a point there!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Apparently creed is inconsistent with their batches. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say those who write positive things about them probably got those super magical smelling batches which also happen to have a drop of unicorn tears in each bottle. But only if you believe in creed, you can detect the smell of the unicorn tears and enter the magical olfactory wonderland of creed.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    What's this Blasphemous talk I'm seeing around here? Are you suggesting someone here actually buys a fragrance because he himself enjoys?

Does CREED pay people to capitalize its name, so that people who read about CREED think the word CREED with a stronger emphasis than other nearby words?

I mean I know they capitalize it on their website, but come on, it's silly!

PS...CREED!!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

If they do... I want my cut.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Hey, im working for free for about a year!!!!

I'm not on their payroll, but you won't see positive comments about Creed from me, the ones i've tested so far have dissapointed me like no others.

CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and I'm sure they are aware of the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying and using deceptive marketing tactics.

What are your thoughts?
    It is strongly encouraged, but who knows if anyone has been paid in any way.

Marketing has always been their strongest point.

They offered me a free bottle of GIT to write a positive review on it. But, I told them, "No, thanks. I already have Chez Bond."

Legitimate positive reviews from happy customers and payed posters are not mutually exclusive. It is a fact that agencies exist which offer such services to whoever pays them exist and it's also well known that some Amazon-reviews have been made in exchange for money. I don't think the fragrance industry is any different then other industries, so I'd be surprised if they didn't utilize such tactics as well. In fact, I think the whole fashion/fragrance-industry is one of the most image-reliant industries around - so image-boosting sure has top-priority.

http://www.consumersearch.com/blog/h...e-user-reviews
    http://www.bizreport.com/2009/01/fak...st_say_no.html

The following links to the homepage of an agency in Switzerland that (legally) offers such services. Check out their references (Jean Paul Gaultier is one of them):
    http://www.trigami.com/references/
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 7th February 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: the horror... the horror

Like other posters said, I am absolutely certain that many positive Creed reviews and posts are 100% genuine, not based on "incentives" of any kind.

On the other hand, I increasingly find it incredible that they all are so.

There is something about the waves of new, thoughtlessly gushing Creed threads started over and over by freshly registered IDs which has one wonder...

The pity here is that the credibility of posters who, like me, like certain Creeds very much without worshiping the brand nor being "stimulated" by them is therefore thinned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    The pity here is that the credibility of posters who, like me, like certain Creeds very much without worshiping the brand nor being "stimulated" by them is therefore thinned down.
    Indeed!

The Creeds I like are superb fragrances--nothing mediocre about them in the least. I also like many other fragrances and there are some Creeds that I wouldn't wear if given to me for free. Creed happens to be a leader in niche perfumery, especially with men. Hence, it only follows that Creed fragrances would get their fair share of discussion here. In all of my BN readings I've never once sensed that someone was being paid to rave about all things Creed here. BN is the place where we can share our opinions and and enthusiasm for any fragrances. It's more or less a civil democracy here at BN. I greatly respect that the site is monitored and hateful/ rude individuals will get timed out or bounced off the forum. I simply pass on viewing threads that disinterest me and that would be the majority of them.

Martin

What are your thoughts?

Creed doesn't have the budget to do this largescale.

However mega companies such as Chanel, and LVMH-owned entities such as Gucci, Armani, Guerlain etc certainly do. They also have some of the slimiest marketing types on their payroll.

Look around and you will see instances of "paid for" reviews and product placement from all the companies you love (and hate).
    -

I wish. I have been using Creed scents for years and I just find them to be much more unique than the other offerings in the industry. My fave house, I cannot lie, and I have never been paid...QUITE the opposite! I have paid Creed dearly!

Creed's a great house, the best IMHO, and I will keep going back to them for as long as they keep making superior products.

I will not say that they have bad perfumes, but I am also not saying that they have extra-ordinary perfumes.

I have seen from time to time people toss the name of the creed for nothing or open up some time wasting threads about creed.

No-one is gonna confess here about the truth.

Moderators, I am sorry about this but this is the general impression I am getting from many of the threads/posts.If you think this is offensive to the basenotes community, please edit it accordingly.

I cant speak for Creed but do know of at least 1 niche firm who's staff frequent forums to big up products or the house

I like 5 Creed fragrances, but the rest I can take or leave.

What sort of paycheck am I in line for?

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I like 5 Creed fragrances, but the rest I can take or leave.

What sort of paycheck am I in line for?
    A 0.01 ml special sample of Aventus, the smoked salmon edition, with Erwin Creed's autograph reproduced on the bottom by Chinese miniature masters.

BaseNoters is a large community of passionate individuals.
    If certain individuals are receiving incentives for being pro CREED it wont be a long lasting relationship because of the sheer numbers of BaseNoters / Passionate, Individuals who are here for the PRODUCT.
    We should end this subject right now and let the Products speak for itself and not the Company behind the product.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Creed doesn't have the budget to do this largescale.

However mega companies such as Chanel, and LVMH-owned entities such as Gucci, Armani, Guerlain etc certainly do. They also have some of the slimiest marketing types on their payroll.

Look around and you will see instances of "paid for" reviews and product placement from all the companies you love (and hate).
    I was waiting for someone to say this. Creed is a smaller private firm with limited resources for marketing strategies, and I seriously doubt they would have the budget to mess around contractually with independent reviewers.

But to the OP: You mention positive reviews for "mediocre fragrances" . . . keep in mind that your opinion puts Creed's fragrances into the category of mediocre. Meanwhile there are those who find their fragrances to be anything from total crap to pure genius. Just like with any house, Creed is subject to a wide range of varying positions.

Is it really so hard to believe that Creed might actually be a very good perfume company? Just as it seems to mystify basenoters that people praise their fragrances, I'm equally puzzled as to why the house gets such a collective groan on here. The only fragrance I've ever worn that got gushing compliments (out of dozens of designer fragrances) was a Creed. Creed haters may want to step back and re-examine previously-dismissed offerings to see if there's a chance they could be underestimating the quality there. Then again, they may not.