Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and I'm sure they are aware of the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying and using deceptive marketing tactics.

Just seeing the many CREED threads, and the amount of positive reviews for rather mediocre fragrances, makes me wonder if there are people getting some sort of incentive to write positively about CREED products.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Quote Originally Posted by spidersmooth View Post
    CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying, and using deceptive marketing tactics.

Just seeing the many CREED threads, and the amount of positive reviews for rather mediocre fragrances, makes me wonder if there are people getting some sort of incentive to write positively about CREED products.

What are your thoughts?
    What definitive proof do you have of this? I'd be curious myself to know this,

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    What definitive proof do you have of this? I'd be curious myself to know this,
    Look no further than the_good_life.

Creed, on the other hand, has always felt a need to both obscure and rewrite its history from the desire of wishing to appear as a 250-year old fragrance house, rather than as a respected tailor’s who happened to dabble in fragrance and only became a perfume house proper in the late 1960s or beyond (there is little evidence even for this late period).

source: http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

With all the Creed posts you got to wonder.lol I have never received payment from them maybe I should give them a call so I can get on their payroll. Though no amount of money they pay will make me praise REL.lol

I do believe that Creed as well as other industry players have people on boards like this as well as on Amazon and the likes.

how do you think i got my ferrari... im now taking money from Amouage. looted Lutens by and large..
    Last edited by jenson; 7th February 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Could it be that people write positive things about Creed on here because they enjoy their products?

Apparently creed is inconsistent with their batches. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say those who write positive things about them probably got those super magical smelling batches which also happen to have a drop of unicorn tears in each bottle. But only if you believe in creed, you can detect the smell of the unicorn tears and enter the magical olfactory wonderland of creed.

I am on record saying I am not on the Creed payroll.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Could it be that people write positive things about Creed on here because they enjoy their products?
    you have a point there!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Apparently creed is inconsistent with their batches. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say those who write positive things about them probably got those super magical smelling batches which also happen to have a drop of unicorn tears in each bottle. But only if you believe in creed, you can detect the smell of the unicorn tears and enter the magical olfactory wonderland of creed.
    This.

What's this Blasphemous talk I'm seeing around here? Are you suggesting someone here actually buys a fragrance because he himself enjoys?

Does CREED pay people to capitalize its name, so that people who read about CREED think the word CREED with a stronger emphasis than other nearby words?

I mean I know they capitalize it on their website, but come on, it's silly!

PS...CREED!!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

If they do... I want my cut.

Hey, im working for free for about a year!!!!

I'm not on their payroll, but you won't see positive comments about Creed from me, the ones i've tested so far have dissapointed me like no others.

CREED is well aware of basenotes (CREED is a sponsor at the moment), and I'm sure they are aware of the influence that this community has on making a fragrance a success (look no further than the success of Pure Malt). CREED also has a history of lying and using deceptive marketing tactics.

What are your thoughts?
    It is strongly encouraged, but who knows if anyone has been paid in any way.

Marketing has always been their strongest point.

They offered me a free bottle of GIT to write a positive review on it. But, I told them, "No, thanks. I already have Chez Bond."

Legitimate positive reviews from happy customers and payed posters are not mutually exclusive. It is a fact that agencies exist which offer such services to whoever pays them exist and it's also well known that some Amazon-reviews have been made in exchange for money. I don't think the fragrance industry is any different then other industries, so I'd be surprised if they didn't utilize such tactics as well. In fact, I think the whole fashion/fragrance-industry is one of the most image-reliant industries around - so image-boosting sure has top-priority.

http://www.consumersearch.com/blog/h...e-user-reviews
    http://www.bizreport.com/2009/01/fak...st_say_no.html

The following links to the homepage of an agency in Switzerland that (legally) offers such services. Check out their references (Jean Paul Gaultier is one of them):
    http://www.trigami.com/references/
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 7th February 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: the horror... the horror

Like other posters said, I am absolutely certain that many positive Creed reviews and posts are 100% genuine, not based on "incentives" of any kind.

On the other hand, I increasingly find it incredible that they all are so.

There is something about the waves of new, thoughtlessly gushing Creed threads started over and over by freshly registered IDs which has one wonder...

The pity here is that the credibility of posters who, like me, like certain Creeds very much without worshiping the brand nor being "stimulated" by them is therefore thinned down.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    The pity here is that the credibility of posters who, like me, like certain Creeds very much without worshiping the brand nor being "stimulated" by them is therefore thinned down.
    Indeed!

The Creeds I like are superb fragrances--nothing mediocre about them in the least. I also like many other fragrances and there are some Creeds that I wouldn't wear if given to me for free. Creed happens to be a leader in niche perfumery, especially with men. Hence, it only follows that Creed fragrances would get their fair share of discussion here. In all of my BN readings I've never once sensed that someone was being paid to rave about all things Creed here. BN is the place where we can share our opinions and and enthusiasm for any fragrances. It's more or less a civil democracy here at BN. I greatly respect that the site is monitored and hateful/ rude individuals will get timed out or bounced off the forum. I simply pass on viewing threads that disinterest me and that would be the majority of them.

Martin

What are your thoughts?

Creed doesn't have the budget to do this largescale.

However mega companies such as Chanel, and LVMH-owned entities such as Gucci, Armani, Guerlain etc certainly do. They also have some of the slimiest marketing types on their payroll.

Look around and you will see instances of "paid for" reviews and product placement from all the companies you love (and hate).
    -

I wish. I have been using Creed scents for years and I just find them to be much more unique than the other offerings in the industry. My fave house, I cannot lie, and I have never been paid...QUITE the opposite! I have paid Creed dearly!

Creed's a great house, the best IMHO, and I will keep going back to them for as long as they keep making superior products.

I will not say that they have bad perfumes, but I am also not saying that they have extra-ordinary perfumes.

I have seen from time to time people toss the name of the creed for nothing or open up some time wasting threads about creed.

No-one is gonna confess here about the truth.

Moderators, I am sorry about this but this is the general impression I am getting from many of the threads/posts.If you think this is offensive to the basenotes community, please edit it accordingly.

I cant speak for Creed but do know of at least 1 niche firm who's staff frequent forums to big up products or the house

I like 5 Creed fragrances, but the rest I can take or leave.

What sort of paycheck am I in line for?

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I like 5 Creed fragrances, but the rest I can take or leave.

What sort of paycheck am I in line for?
    A 0.01 ml special sample of Aventus, the smoked salmon edition, with Erwin Creed's autograph reproduced on the bottom by Chinese miniature masters.

BaseNoters is a large community of passionate individuals.
    If certain individuals are receiving incentives for being pro CREED it wont be a long lasting relationship because of the sheer numbers of BaseNoters / Passionate, Individuals who are here for the PRODUCT.
    We should end this subject right now and let the Products speak for itself and not the Company behind the product.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Creed doesn't have the budget to do this largescale.

However mega companies such as Chanel, and LVMH-owned entities such as Gucci, Armani, Guerlain etc certainly do. They also have some of the slimiest marketing types on their payroll.

Look around and you will see instances of "paid for" reviews and product placement from all the companies you love (and hate).
    I was waiting for someone to say this. Creed is a smaller private firm with limited resources for marketing strategies, and I seriously doubt they would have the budget to mess around contractually with independent reviewers.

But to the OP: You mention positive reviews for "mediocre fragrances" . . . keep in mind that your opinion puts Creed's fragrances into the category of mediocre. Meanwhile there are those who find their fragrances to be anything from total crap to pure genius. Just like with any house, Creed is subject to a wide range of varying positions.

Is it really so hard to believe that Creed might actually be a very good perfume company? Just as it seems to mystify basenoters that people praise their fragrances, I'm equally puzzled as to why the house gets such a collective groan on here. The only fragrance I've ever worn that got gushing compliments (out of dozens of designer fragrances) was a Creed. Creed haters may want to step back and re-examine previously-dismissed offerings to see if there's a chance they could be underestimating the quality there. Then again, they may not.

It's a pretty low and disrespectful suggestion to make of the forum.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I got a free sample of BdP and Aventus from the Creed counter at Neiman's. I got to shake hands with Erwin Creed once. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I got a free sample of BdP and Aventus from the Creed counter at Neiman's. I got to shake hands with Erwin Creed once. That's it.
    Indeed, I think self-brainwashing is more the cause than financial incentive.

(I joke! I joke!)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Is it really so hard to believe that Creed might actually be a very good perfume company?

It is apparently easier than to believe that Creed is a very good perfume company but, at the same time, some of their marketing tactics could be more than a little shady.

I guess Creed also goes around paying women to compliment me in very lustful terms on Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Himalaya, etc. Maybe that time I was waiting tables wearing Original Vetiver, the guy who pulled me aside and asked me if I came from "old money" and was secretly rich, just slumming it as a waiter was on the Creed payroll too. My female boss who smelled Silver Mountain Water on me two weeks ago, and can't stop talking about it and begs me to wear it again, maybe she's getting slipped some cash too.

Granted, I'm curious how much Rive Gauche Pour Homme I've sold for Yves Saint Laurent. Probably more money than I've made in my life, lol. I've practically been a crusader, but can I take credit for it? No-- it's a product of impeccable quality and it gets enthusiastic compliments. We're here to talk about the things we like and share our experience with others.

Sure, I think Creed's marketing is kind of annoying, but I buy their products DESPITE some of my quibbles. The products speak for themselves. I do find many of their scents to be a cut above. They're not magic-- they won't transform the wearer into a tanned yacht-owning man of leisure with a crisp charming Mid-Atlantic accent, but they do smell incredibly classy to my nose. Even the loud scents like Original Santal, which to some, border on Joop-mall-dreck-- are still higher quality-- I once tested Original Santal, thinking was a Joop ripoff, but was stunned at how mysterious and magnetic it felt on my skin. As I walked around the bookstore, I caught a few different women casually following me around, sniffing my trail.

I wish Creed would pay me or give me free stuff, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. Well in today's society there is, but that's whole other can of worms.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I guess Creed also goes around paying women to compliment me in very lustful terms on Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, Himalaya, etc. Maybe that time I was waiting tables wearing Original Vetiver, the guy who pulled me aside and asked me if I came from "old money" and was secretly rich, just slumming it as a waiter was on the Creed payroll too. My female boss who smelled Silver Mountain Water on me two weeks ago, and can't stop talking about it and begs me to wear it again, maybe she's getting slipped some cash too.

Granted, I'm curious how much Rive Gauche Pour Homme I've sold for Yves Saint Laurent. Probably more money than I've made in my life, lol. I've practically been a crusader, but can I take credit for it? No-- it's a product of impeccable quality and it gets enthusiastic compliments. We're here to talk about the things we like and share our experience with others.

Sure, I think Creed's marketing is kind of annoying, but I buy their products DESPITE some of my quibbles. The products speak for themselves. I do find many of their scents to be a cut above. They're not magic-- they won't transform the wearer into a tanned yacht-owning man of leisure with a crisp charming Mid-Atlantic accent, but they do smell incredibly classy to my nose. Even the loud scents like Original Santal, which to some, border on Joop-mall-dreck-- are still higher quality-- I once tested Original Santal, thinking was a Joop ripoff, but was stunned at how mysterious and magnetic it felt on my skin. As I walked around the bookstore, I caught a few different women casually following me around, sniffing my trail.

I wish Creed would pay me or give me free stuff, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. Well in today's society there is, but that's whole other can of worms.
    Indie_Guy, assuming your claims are honest (and I do believe they are), I can only add that I've had women actually freak out about Original Vetiver. I work in a school and a woman in the classroom next door happened to pass by and stopped me dead in my tracks, asked me what in god's name I was wearing, and then waved another woman over to have a sniff.

It occurs to me that basenoters are big on trendy oud-based scents, rich-smelling classics from Guerlain, dense orientals from Lutens and Amouage. Montale is very popular. These houses are challenging to wear and smell. Not saying they smell bad - I think what I've smelled of them is great stuff. But I could see how they would lack popular appeal. Those around the wearer of a Lutens may think "geez, he smells an awful lot like a christmas cookie." Which is a whole lot different from "he smells good." Creed takes a different tack by making a large portion of their fragrances light and breezy, with synthetic ambergris bases. It seems this gives them a universal appeal. They're compliment-getters. And better yet, the compliments come from the opposite sex. Sorry, but that's what makes Creed worth talking about.

Thank you.

Basenotes Plus

This isn't about Creed per se, it's about knowing your reviewer and trusting their motivation.

I've written Creed reviews but Creed never paid me for it. I've written Bond No 9 reviews but Bond never paid me for it. I've written reviews for Natori, you can read about where I bought my bottle. Natori never paid me. I've reviewed Dawn Spencer Hurwitz fragrances, she didn't pay me. (I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on perfume on her website.)

I have Creed samples because I've bought Creed fragrances. I have Bond samples because I've bought Bond fragrances. I've got samples because I bought them. I've gotten even more samples because I paid to attend fragrance events and received "goodie bags" as an attendee.

I know other reviewers who literally harrass perfumers & perfume companies for free product. They promise reviews. Whether they deliver the reviews or not, I don't know. I do know that these reviewers are getting a "reputation", one I don't want myself.

I personally, never wanted to be in that group of people. I don't want to be beholdin' to anybody. All my reviews are positive because reviews take a lot of time and energy. I'm not reviewing something I don't like. Why put that negativity out there? I frankly don't give a damn if it's niche or dime store, if I love it I'll write about it. If it's crap, I'm not wasting my money, why would I waste my time?
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Dunno Creed but Avon does , actually they write it themselfs
    Any Snusers on basenotes?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270424-Snusers!

This theory would explain the inexplicable love of Aventus. I had thought I was in the minority but I now realize that it's only because I'm not on the payroll (although I should have been since my original moniker was "CreedFan" back when I thought that Creed was the beginning and end of quality fragrance).
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumire Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

It does seems that Creed lovers hate Bond9, but me personally I think Bond make the better fragrance. Are they paid to say that because of the alleged conflict between the two companies. Who knows :@)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I like Creed's products. No big deal. I don't get all the whining on here.

I doubt that Creed has much of a social media campaign, but even if they do, so what? That's considered normal, modern marketing practice. Get used to it. That kind of thing isn't going away anytime soon.

They gave me a Lexus. Creed is fantastic.
    - Expect the unexpected

They may - so what.
    What I REALLY wanna know is why they fill the testers with the good batch of Aventus & fill the retail bottles with the $hit. I don't truly mean to offend but dammit, I swear it's true.

What are your thoughts?
    Perhaps a competitor paid you to come here and say some stupid shyt like this. Ever consider that?

You really don't want any more of my "thoughts" after a newb "expert on scent" has dismissed my appreciation for some of Creeds "rather mediocre frangrances."

Look no further than the_good_life.

Creed, on the other hand, has always felt a need to both obscure and rewrite its history from the desire of wishing to appear as a 250-year old fragrance house, rather than as a respected tailor’s who happened to dabble in fragrance and only became a perfume house proper in the late 1960s or beyond (there is little evidence even for this late period).

source: http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html
    I'd sooner guess they were paying YOU to drum up controversy, than suspect ANYONE on these boards of being paid to speak highly of Creed. They don't need to pay off anyone to speak highly of their fragrances, their fragrances speak loud enough themselves. Seriously, what did they ever do to you?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I know that Creed and Bond No.9 should set me up with a job for sure.....I'm more of a Bond No.9 fan but I do have my Creed faves!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Plus

Well, well, well....spidersmooth. Let me summarize: new member, 6 posts. You started 4 threads (3 on the same day) that could well be viewed as market research. All (6) of your posts are either fishing for information or criticisms of two manufacturers, a retailer and a member.

Makes me suspicious.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

'Chip on the shoulder' type threads? If not, it's smelling somewhat like it.

Not impressed one bit. Not one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Well, well, well....spidersmooth. Let me summarize: new member, 6 posts. You started 4 threads (3 on the same day) that could well be viewed as market research. All (6) of your posts are either fishing for information or criticisms of two manufacturers, a retailer and a member.

Makes me suspicious.
    This fits well with my new theory that for every shill, an anti-shill is also created.

Look, as much as I want to rub Oliver's nose in Creed's "history" and yell, "NO!" there are some great smells that come out of that house. It is what it is.

I think the responsible thing for any discerning shopper to do is to read as many reviews of a product as they are able from as many sources as possible. The pure bulk of reviews from thousands of reviewers tend to dilute out the balderdash. Paid endorsements existed long before the internet so this isn't a ground shaking revelation of corporate collusion with reviewers.

I'm also certain that should definitive evidence ever surface of wide-spread manipulation of reviews by any house then while current customers who are attached to a few of their fragrances would probably still keep purchasing old favorites the real powerhouse of earnings, new customers, repeat business & the hysteria that surrounds new releases would dwindle & those who once rose to preeminence will find themselves dressed in rags begging for scraps. What is more effective & exceedingly subtle is the folderal & swagger a house can build up around their products. It induces a placebo effect, a case of The Emperor's New Clothes: If you don't think it smells good then clearly you aren't cultured enough to appreciate its royal bouquet.

Take a breath, trust your nose (not your expectations), practice your google-fu & caveat emptor.

What are your thoughts?

I think you need to put more effort into being a convincing troll.
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Creed bankrolling shills for posting positive threads on Basenotes? I certainly doubt it. On the other hand, a free bottle coming my way every month for keeping their name present on the Male Fragrance Discussion board, hmmm......

What are your thoughts?
    I'll list the first 4 thoughts that crossed my (simple) mind:

1. 6 posts all up, and he comes up with this?
    2. The O.P sounds very angry, might be having a bad day.
    3. I bet he believes in other conspiracies too, "we didn't really land on the moon"...
    4. Another Creed thread

Does it really matter if Creed was paying people to write positive reviews? Can you not form your own opinion of the frags? Decide if the price justifies the scent on your own... A lot of people seem to be reluctant of enjoying / trying something that may not be well received here... That is the true tragedy.
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

According to a 2010 Nielsen industry report, luxury goods industry spends >800m EUR per year annually on viral marketing of which ~90% is internet-based viral marketing spend ("personal web 2.0 product recommendations"). If you believe, that basenotes does not have its share of bought reviews, you are naive - as simple as that.

The question of this thread however was about Creed engaging in these tactics. And yes, there are many hints suggesting that they do, including:
    - There is a completely disproportional number of Creed threads in the forum as compared to other fragrance houses as Dior or Chanel
    - Many of these threads only seem to have the sole purpose to emphasize the existance and or "quality" of certain Creed products, some of these threads even seem scripted with the same posters more or less discussing the great joys of Creed almost among themselves in dialogue.
    - there are basenoters that give rave reviews to Creed fragrances, while at the same time dissing extremely similar fragrances for smelling horrid
    - there are experienced basenoters who write about the amazing longetivity and sillage of Creed products such as SMW, while everyone can find out by spraying on a piece of paper or cotton, that these fragrances objectively do not last anywhere close to industry standards
    - In real life, Creed products don't sell well - in fact, they are sold at off-price retailers as TJ Maxx right next to the latest offering of Kylie Minogue (which actually has a better longetivity , while it appears on basenotes, that 30% of all basenoters own Creed fragrances
    - Creed is per definition not a high quality house - there sprayers are ironed on the bottle in a cheap way, their company info has translation errors, their history as a fragrance company is at it seems partially invented, the juice usually does not last - still the image of Creed being a luxury perfumer is consistently emphasized in many posts.

Don't get me wrong, there surely are many people who enjoy Creed fragrances very much for what they are. The fakes come from a small number of people hiding behind different profiles. And be sure that as others have mentioned, there are other fragrance houses engaging in these tactics as well. So it wouldn't be fair to fingerpoint to any particular company, especially if they are smaller fragrance houses, that can simply afford nothing else than viral marketing.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Creed > Amouage

yeah I said it!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Creed bankrolling shills for posting positive threads on Basenotes? I certainly doubt it. On the other hand, a free bottle coming my way every month for keeping their name present on the Male Fragrance Discussion board, hmmm......
    LOL

Yeah. It ain't exactly an X-File.

And then there's me. I'm the grandaddy CREED shill. The CREED black ops boys have paid me about negative 2000 bucks at this point. Now I have to admit that I spread some of those negative bucks around to other Basenotes CREED shills, but we gotta stick together on those new releases, so we do this shifty financial thing called a "tilps", where I send them negative bucks and they send me negative CREED. Which I suppose is redundant to some, but at least it's not an oxymoron like positive CREED.

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    According to a 2010 Nielsen industry report, luxury goods industry spends >800m EUR per year annually on viral marketing of which ~90% is internet-based viral marketing spend ("personal web 2.0 product recommendations"). If you believe, that basenotes does not have its share of bought reviews, you are naive - as simple as that.
    I agree with that and find it disturbing how many people are quick to make fun of the OP for asking such questions. The question is legit so his posting history shouldn't matter.