Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Bah. Poppycock.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Does CREED pay people to write positive things about CREED products?

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    According to a 2010 Nielsen industry report, luxury goods industry spends >800m EUR per year annually on viral marketing of which ~90% is internet-based viral marketing spend ("personal web 2.0 product recommendations").
    Link? I'm been trying to find the report or something referencing it & have been unable to find anything. I suspect "personal web 2.0 product recommendations" may refer to ad campaigns such as Google AdSense, Facebook Ads, Amazon's recommendation system & others that target advertisements & product recommendations to people based on their internet browsing, purchasing &/or search history as opposed to paying people to flood the web with positive reviews

ACID TEST

CREED ? Green Irish Tweed = GIT?

You guys are really talking it up on most Creed posts. Wearing GIT now for the second day. First day minimum projection/silage. Today the second day, right now writing this post same result.

I wanted it so much to work after all the fantastic reviews you professionals have given on this forum.

Keeping an open mind I am going to go to Creed shop in Paris, rue Francoise 1st Serbie, and show them my example (maybe its a poor batch sample) and ask them if this is typical GIT scent before finally ditching GIT as a potential wardrobe addition and before labeling all other CREEDS as over hyped on this forum.

Possibly sending a message too Edwin Creed that maybe they should consider going back to the CREED family roots - tailoring.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    I wanted it so much to work after all the fantastic reviews you professionals have given on this forum.

Keeping an open mind I am going to go to Creed shop in Paris, rue Francoise 1st Serbie, and show them my example (maybe its a poor batch sample) and ask them if this is typical GIT scent before finally ditching GIT as a potential wardrobe addition and before labeling all other CREEDS as over hyped on this forum.
    Sounds more like buyer's remorse than an actual critique of Creed's fragrances. Like most houses I love some, hate others, feel indifferent regarding the rest. Half the fun of fragrances is sniffing new compositions & stumbling upon something enchanting or intriguing. If you're not prepared to be disappointed in a spendy fragrance you should either sample it first or blind buy blue-light specials.

Possibly sending a message too Edwin Creed that maybe they should consider going back to the CREED family roots - tailoring.
    You are perfectly allowed to have your own opinion, but you would be in the HEAVY minority. This isn't just a BN phenomenon. The stuff is probably the most lucrative niche company in the world, and I doubt even 10% of those clients even know BN exists.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Just recently got back into fragrance, and Basenotes, and it is interesting to observe that the Creed talk is just as abundant and lively as ever...haha.

Creeds were some of the earliest "niche" fragrances I ever sampled. Really liked them. I mean, they really seemed a cut above most of the regular department store fare out there, and still do. However, they've become slightly less special to me as I've become more exposed to niche fragrances over the years. Anyway, had been years since I'd smelled anything from Creed other than GIT, so recently got some MI, Himalaya, and SMW from Perfumed Court, and a decant of Erolfa from a fellow basenoter. Must admit that Himalaya, MI, and SMW did not live up to my "scent memory". Pleasant, all, but turd longevity, and nothing overly special. Erolfa, on the other hand (which I'd also sampled years ago), is still pretty awesome to my nose. Yes, Erolfa and GIT, you guys should all go out and buy a ton of it!

And with that being said, I really hope the blizzard outside doesn't affect the shipment of my monthly allotment of GIT and Erolfa from my handlers at the Creed Boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by seccho View Post
    And with that being said, I really hope the blizzard outside doesn't affect the shipment of my monthly allotment of GIT and Erolfa from my handlers at the Creed Boutique.
    You need a new allotment every month? Thank God for Kansas being so far. . . (-:

Very likely that Creed does this. =]

And so does this house:

AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

ACID TEST

CREED ? Green Irish Tweed = GIT?

You guys are really talking it up on most Creed posts. Wearing GIT now for the second day. First day minimum projection/silage. Today the second day, right now writing this post same result.

room-clearing projection & sillage = high quality??? How quaint! Try Bogart pour Homme, buddy.

First of all, I think that ANY other company has the same means and opportunity to have people write good reviews for their products, so this discussion should be on the general fragrance industry, and not on Creed. I doubt companies pay people to hang out on Basenotes, but maybe they do. You're forgetting about all of the other places where people go to read reviews (i.e. perfume.com, fragrancenet, perfume emporium, etc.).

The worst perpetrator is Pherlure, where it is obvious that they pay actors to do Youtube reviews praising their product.

I think the Aventus raving here on BN was instrumental in the massive sales - supposedly selling better than all the other Creeds combined (can't recall source).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Castrensis View Post
    I think the responsible thing for any discerning shopper to do is to read as many reviews of a product as they are able from as many sources as possible.
    No. The responsible thing for any discerning shopper to do is to try fragrances before deciding whether or not to buy. Let the reviewers be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I think the Aventus raving here on BN was instrumental in the massive sales - supposedly selling better than all the other Creeds combined (can't recall source).
    Only among basenoters maybe with modest word of mouth spillover. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the forum populace here at BN is more like the fly on the fragrance sales elephant. I'd attribute the brisk sales to the: 1) appeal and novel qualities of Aventus itself, 2) timing and promotion of the release (including the clever Napoleonic poppycock and attractive packaging), 3) word of mouth, and 4) agressive in store promotion by Creed SA's. The stores that I visit in my area that sell Creed have a friendly, active and very visible Creed presence while some other brands are relegated to the background. I'd think it pays reasonably well to promote and sell Creed fragrance too.

Martin

Creed are the best fragrance house in the world and the idea that anyone would think that this brilliant, illustrious and exemplary house would do anything untoward with regards it's internet marketing tactics is just utterly absurd!!!

Last edited by Erwin Creed; 9th February 2011 at 07:56 PM.

No one representing Creed has ever influenced or even tried to influence any of the comments I have made on this website or anywhere else.
    Nor has any other fragrance house, for that matter.

The notion that posters here can be bought and sold by the fragrance makers goes to the very integrity of basenotes. I hope that this is not the case.

I'm not a Creed apologist by any means, but I happily acknowledge that I enjoy and esteem many of their fragrances. For the record, neither Creed nor any other perfume house, nor any representatives or agents of same, have ever tried to influence my comments on this website or anywhere else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    No one representing Creed has ever influenced or even tried to influence any of the comments I have made on this website or anywhere else.
    Me neither!

Just stumbled upon a pretty interesting read about something that could be described as an automated way to create opinions. For the record: No, I don't accuse anyone of using this on BN (neither do I believe it is really used yet) but rather to show the nay-sayers what is the state of the 'art'.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...Concern-Us-All

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape over the OP.

I work in fashion. Part of a business plan includes a budget for PR -- whether you are small upstart one man design company or a giant house. The PR strategy for even the tiniest of upstart companies is to pay people to slip reviews into blogs and forums... the cost for this is $200 - $1000 per month. Any company concerned with staying in business needs to develop a brand, and part of brand development includes this low cost PR strategy.

In the not so distant past, designers made their money mainly from wholesale orders from department stores or boutiques. After the economy collapsed the business model shifted to 60% internet orders.

You betcha, there are people working the internet in forums and in blogs as a way to promote new product whether that product is fragrance, ... or shoes. Are they here, who knows? Maybe they don't need to pay people here because this place is an absolute gift of free PR for every fragrance company. But then again, maybe they do pay people... in samples. Bloggers get paid in samples.