Code of Conduct

Default Green Irish Tweed lovers, what do you think about Aventus?

I'm wondering what lovers of GIT think about Aventus. How would you compare the two? Which do you prefer in general and why?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed lovers, what do you think about Aventus?

They're not alike at all, other than being Creed frags. It's like comparing San Fransisco to LA - same state, completely different places. You can't use one for comparison purposes to the other. GIT is a deep green/violet dark experience, Aventus is a pineapple meets Scotch Tape thing that doesn't evolve much as the fragrance dries down.

I don't prefer one over the other, although I respect the "perfumanship" of GIT much more than Aventus. GIT was a groundbreaking fragrance when it was first released. GIT is far more complex and sophisticated and doesn't play hide and seek after you've had it on for a bit - Aventus is stealthy at times, you think it has disappeared and then it starts back up. Unlike GIT, Aventus is very unisex. I've been wearing Aventus more frequently because it's the new kid on the block.
    Last edited by adonis; 13th December 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I'm wondering what lovers of GIT think about Aventus. How would you compare the two? Which do you prefer in general and why?

thanks
    i've always loved GIT, and I'm a huge fan of Aventus.

two very different frags. GIT is constructed better and more natural smelling. Aventus is more fun to wear and a bit sexier.

both will get you lots of compliments. Aventus will get you a couple more.

GIT established a genre in the industry, and i think Aventus will as well.

both are marquee CREED frags and are worth owning.

Post Thanks / Like

I love them both. GIT is like that "We've known each other for years now"-type of love while Aventus is that "Still fresh and exciting"-type of love.

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm given the choice, I find myself reaching for Aventus over Green Irish Tweed. While I respect the significance of the creation of GIT, it is not one of my favorite Creed scents.
    - Expect the unexpected

Post Thanks / Like

Women love both. I prefer GIT, easily. GIT has a permanent place in my wardrobe, and is the closest thing to a life-long signature scent for me. Aventus is a nice diversion for me, not much more. I wonder if I'll even replace my 1 OZ of Aventus when it's gone. Probably, but it's not a slam-dunk.

I love both. No preference for either one.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

GIT is very good. Aventus is very mediocre.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love GIT, but adore Aventus - GIT I feel is a bit more multidimensional, but the actual notes of Aventus really do it for me more.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read where some find them similar, but I sure don't get that.

GIT is a classic to me. Aventus is the novel new kid on the block. It must be test worn, because for me and some others here, it seems to disappear after an hour or so, though others might still smell it. I deeply appreciate that women love it on me, but am baffled by a scent I've can't perceive.

I've seen some members question whether they're using some sort of aroma chemical that some people smell and others don't.

Post Thanks / Like

GIT is a green woody floral EDP in which every stage smells pleasant and predominantly natural. Aventus is a fruity smokey EDT in which the entire top two thirds smells very synthetic. GIT's florals are soft, fresh and green. Aventus' floral midnotes are very weak and rubbery, although the slight floral note in the base I like. The citric/green freshness in GIT is very classy, natural, and timeless. The fruity/tart freshness in Aventus is tacky, freindly, and has a stylistic expiration date. I do like both bases, but Aventus base is too weak. If the Ambergris/moss/patch notes in Aventus were as strong as the ambergris/woody/leafy notes in GIT, and the tart fruity/citrus top, and rubbery floral/smokey heart were seemingly more natural, I might rate it higher, as it has some very redeeming qualities about it.,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I've read where some find them similar, but I sure don't get that.
    I assumed that was due to an oversensitivity to Lyral (a fresh unisex floral basenote), which both have a decent amount of.

Post Thanks / Like

I use GIT now and then, but I personally think it is Creed's most over rated scent. As for Aventus, yuk. I really liked the top notes, which as with most top notes don't last long, but the drydown on my skin isn't something I can take to. I prefer Creed's Spice and Wood and Windsor out of the newer releases and those two only last about 3-4 hours on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I assumed that was due to an oversensitivity to Lyral (a fresh unisex floral basenote), which both have a decent amount of.
    Interesting. After a quick Googling

Lyral is is contained in many of the popular fragrances as White Musk (The Body Shop), Red Door and Green Tea (Elizabeth Arden), Opium (Yves Saint Laurent), Black (Kenneth Cole) and practically in every second deodorant on the market.

http://thegreenbeautyguide.com/?p=252

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    When I'm given the choice, I find myself reaching for Aventus over Green Irish Tweed. While I respect the significance of the creation of GIT, it is not one of my favorite Creed scents.
    This!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.T. View Post
    This!
    SSS - "This"?
    - Expect the unexpected

You can't really compare the two. GIT is a classic, Aventus is just a fad at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I can't say it much better than Adonis & gecko88 - except for that 'scotch tape' thing.
    They're nothing alike but perfectly good in their own right. A perfect examples of different ways different days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like both, but I prefer Aventus because of its modern aspects. I see a certain similarity, but it's a very peculiar thing. In my case it's not Lyral, of which I have a pure sample and can spot a mile away in a frag. For me, the similarity is more global - it's this certain "harmonic" character that GIT has (hard for me to describe - it's like fougere but not a normal one). I get a similar effect with Aventus. Whatever it is, it's an effect that I love, and the one in Aventus is more modern and novel, which always wins with me. I agree that GIT has fewer defects, or at least fewer of them for most people. I'm very lucky with Aventus - I get great longevity, good and balanced perception of all components, and I even perceive some components that others aren't getting. It's often the opposite for me - I will miss things that others love in a frag. So while I won't defend Aventus against the weaknesses that so many others detect, I will say that they aren't defects for me, and that I consider myself lucky, since several other Creeds were ruined for me by the peculiarities of my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Aventus is just a fad at the moment.
    I thought it was a fragrance.
    - Expect the unexpected

Post Thanks / Like

They're both very different and I bought them at about the same time. The less I'm starting to care about Green Irish Tweed the more I start loving Aventus. Aventus is a fragrance it takes a little bit to get used to, especially to the longevity. It does have some synthetic overtones but in my opinion the mix is very successful.
    Current top 5
    1. Creed Vintage Tabaróme
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir
    3. Comme des Garçons 8 88
    4. Montale Black Musk
    5. Profumum Antico Caruso

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forza View Post
    They're both very different and I bought them at about the same time. The less I'm starting to care about Green Irish Tweed the more I start loving Aventus. Aventus is a fragrance it takes a little bit to get used to, especially to the longevity. It does have some synthetic overtones but in my opinion the mix is very successful.
    Same here. Aventus grew on me and now became one of my top favorites. GIT is awesome though but it dropped to my 3rd or 4th favorite.

I tried out Aventus today and GIT. One on each wrist. Did not care for Aventus much. Smokey, fruity, almost nauseating I would predict if I actually went a full wearing. My g/f didn't care for it either. I was disappointed in 2 aspects right there. Neither I nor my g/f enjoyed it at all.

GIT on the other hand, still my favorite from Creed. More unique, evolving and keeps me wanting to sniff at it throughout the day. I also think it lasts longer on my skin at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I tried out Aventus today and GIT. One on each wrist. Did not care for Aventus much. Smokey, fruity, almost nauseating I would predict if I actually went a full wearing. My g/f didn't care for it either. I was disappointed in 2 aspects right there. Neither I nor my g/f enjoyed it at all.

GIT on the other hand, still my favorite from Creed. More unique, evolving and keeps me wanting to sniff at it throughout the day. I also think it lasts longer on my skin at least.
    Don't dismiss Aventus outright. I actually traded my first sample away with another generous BNer because I thought I'd never like it. It took me several wearings later before I "got it". Aventus is kind of like eating Sushi - the first time you try Sushi it can be a bit overwhelming (I ate the entire green Wasabi mound on my plate thinking it was some kind of Pistachio treat), but after a while you begin craving it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

GIT will always be a part of my wardrobe. I love it to death and don't care who knows. Aventus is pleasant enough and could be a grower given a chance. At the moment though - GIT all the way.

GIT is amazing and nuanced, which I don't think can be said for Aventus. It wouldn't surprise me if the general public does indeed prefer Aventus, but then.. look at the general public's taste. Their preference for it (and numerous compliments) does not mean it is a better frag. All it means is that it is more easily accessable - which generally means less nuanced. Aventus is the fragrance equivalent of a trendy pop song.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Don't dismiss Aventus outright. I actually traded my first sample away with another generous BNer because I thought I'd never like it. It took me several wearings later before I "got it". Aventus is kind of like eating Sushi - the first time you try Sushi it can be a bit overwhelming (I ate the entire green Wasabi mound on my plate thinking it was some kind of Pistachio treat), but after a while you begin craving it.
    Well said! I felt the same way. First time i sampled it, i was like "Ohhh that's it?" First week of sampling i just thought it was just okay.... Now It is one of my top favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    GIT is amazing and nuanced, which I don't think can be said for Aventus. It wouldn't surprise me if the general public does indeed prefer Aventus, but then.. look at the general public's taste. Their preference for it (and numerous compliments) does not mean it is a better frag. All it means is that it is more easily accessable - which generally means less nuanced. Aventus is the fragrance equivalent of a trendy pop song.
    But it is a better fragrance in all aspects. It's a classier and finer fragrance than Green Irish Tweed, if anything, it's GIT that is more appealing to the public, hence being the most popular Creed for men. Aventus is arguably the most unique modern Creed offering, it will go down as a classic.
    Current top 5
    1. Creed Vintage Tabaróme
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Absolue pour le Soir
    3. Comme des Garçons 8 88
    4. Montale Black Musk
    5. Profumum Antico Caruso

Post Thanks / Like

I might be a little shallow here, but can I please get answers of which one between GIT and Aventus do you personally think women like more on "first" impression of smelling it. I can train myself to like anything but not random strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    I might be a little shallow here, but can I please get answers of which one between GIT and Aventus do you personally think women like more on "first" impression of smelling it. I can train myself to like anything but not random strangers.
    Aventus. GIT smells like damp moss.
    Daniel + Jonny + Neurosis = The 3 BFF Amigos <3

Post Thanks / Like

It's probably about 50-50 Sniffa. I would lean and say Aventus might get a slight advantage by being the new kid on the block. I have my own issues with Aventus noted above.

There are those that believe much of the hype about Aventus and women is planted by Creed, but I've witnessed it first hand- on me- and I'm an old guy. GIT is the much older scent, but it is kind of timeless.

Post Thanks / Like

I do love Green Irish Tweed.

There is no comparison, in my humble opinion. Aventus is little more than an expensive joke, a failure taking advantage of the reputation of the name Creed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    There are those that believe much of the hype about Aventus and women is planted by Creed, but I've witnessed it first hand- on me- and I'm an old guy. GIT is the much older scent, but it is kind of timeless.
    I had a chance to try it yesterday, the SA swiftly sprayed Aventus on me 7 times in just under 3 seconds on my chest, left and right arms! I felt instantly violated lol. It was sort of like "is that it?", hopefully not because I took a full breath of Aventus when he sprayed it on me.

Didn't receive any compliments but I could still smell Aventus on my arms (close to skin) when I got home 6 hours on.

Post Thanks / Like

GIT is a true legend, and it smells very nice. But to tell the truth.. It`s probably one of the most overreated Creeds. I reach for it now and then sometimes during the spring and summer. I prefer Aventus. I think it`s more classy, and vesatile. GIT is more a summer scent. Aventus all year round. I get much better longevity out of Aventus than on GIT. I think Aventus just smells like heaven..

Post Thanks / Like

I love both.

Both are phenomenial, Aventus is a sillage bomb on me while GIT is NOT.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps that my sample has the wrong batch number but I find Aventus a really mediocre if not downright bad scent. Some drops of pineapple on a ton of synthetic smelling musk and amber... GIT on the other hand is one of my alltime favourites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Perhaps that my sample has the wrong batch number
    You said sample, is it in a cap or tester bottle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Green Irish Tweed - An integral part of my scent rotation

Aventus - Mediocre, with too much pineapple.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Post Thanks / Like

I have, and like, both.

Personally, I find Aventus to be a good fragrance and GIT to be a great fragrance. However, NOTHING in my wardrobe gets compliments like Aventus does. Therefore, because I admit to having an ego that appreciates being massaged now and then, Aventus forms as regular a part of my rotation as GIT does.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    You said sample, is it in a cap or tester bottle?
    Decant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Interesting, DULLAH. When I first tried Aventus it immediately smelled just like the GIT base to me. Wasn't too keen initially as I have GIT, but tried again after seeing all (well, mostly all) the love for it. I got a bottle and it is v nice and obviously different from GIT, but not in the same league.