• a lot of money for nothing

25 17.61%
  • pure coconut

6 4.23%
  • good, but there are better kind

19 13.38%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Virgin Island Water

What title would you give to this perfume?

Default Re: Virgin Island Water

Wonderful scent. Strong and has excellent longevity, but really only suitable for hot summer days. I can't even begin to imagine wearing it at any other time.

Really want to try this - though would imagine the scent would have to worn in times which align to the notes..warm, lazy days.

Not really a big fan of Virgin Island. Smells like Lemon Pledge furniture polish to me

This fragrance reminds me of suntan lotion and the drink Malibu mixed together and because of that I have never been able to enjoy it.

I wear VIW everyday when it's over 85f ....so that's like July and august.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

I own this and enjoy it somewhat, but for me it could be better. I would much prefer if it were better balanced. I find that the coconut completely dominates the lime. Just too coconutty and one dimensional.

Sur la Plage

I use it year-round.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Really great fragrance but poor longevity!

I think "Spring Break".

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Really great fragrance but poor longevity!
    I'm glad you wrote this, as I was scratching my head at other comments of good longevity.

I sprayed some on my wrist in a shop and walked back to my office. When I got there 50 minutes later, I could no longer detect the Virgin Island Water any more. This made it the weakest Creed I've ever tested.
    Regards,
    Renato

I get 6-8 hours longevity with VIW, but only in summer!!!!!!

The longevity of a scent depends upon the ambient temperature and dryness of the skin

Definitely reminds me of summer but I use it anytime.

Got a more recent batch that had noticably more Lime, slightly less "sugar cane", and I really really like it. The fact that this one and SMW, in newer batches, seem slightly less femme to me making me enjoy both much more.

And I think the entire concept, name, and composition for this one is the most successful of the modern Creed Millesimes

I think of this song:

It does smell pretty good.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Having now almost finished a bottle, my analysis is that this is the best light/citrus fragrance from Creed since Neroli Sauvage.

The quality of ingredients is excellent, amongst the best in any 'tropical' inspired fragrance. The lime is super clear, the hint of ginger and ylang ylang is excellent, and the coconut and sugar cane notes are tastefully used and effortlessly integrated.

ViW is light, beautifully balanced and with that unique kick. Its currently my goto 'citrus' Creed so much so that I have hardly worn any SMW, Bois de Cedrat, Neroli Sauvage, etc (all mighty fine fragrances) in the last couple of months.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The quality of ingredients is excellent, amongst the best in any 'tropical' inspired fragrance. The lime is super clear, the hint of ginger and ylang ylang is excellent, and the coconut and sugar cane notes are tastefully used and effortlessly integrated.
    Agreed. I'm usually not a foody-fragrance fan but this manages to be fruity without being overly sweet. However, & maybe it's just that my skin eats it, this last about an hour before disappearing completely. If it didn't have longevity issues I'd own a FB.

My vote: "Reminds me of summer". It does definitely remind me of the summer - the coconut lime thing, for sure. It also reminds me of the tropical heat and a luxurious vacation in an exotic part of the world. And VIW is a nice gourmand... I don't think it's just perfect, though, but it's fun.

Bottled Pina Colada at 1€/ml.
    no thanks.
    Smellin good

Nah nah nah... take in the salty notes, the rich lactonic coconut, the bright natural lime... the rum that is perfectly sweetened. This fragrance is very nicely balanced and blended - I want to find the right batch and buy a flacon soon. Anyone who wants to get rid of their VIW can PM me for a trade or throw me an offer. See!! I guess it's a bit better than just good.. it's a great one... but not a "necessary fragrance" for a beginner's collection.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Bottled Pina Colada at 1€/ml.
    no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    ...I guess it's a bit better than just good.. it's a great one...
    just got one

Banned

It's just perfect and the only creed I own.

It's good, lasts a reasonable amount of time, but it's not the perfect coconut note in a fragrance.

Smells very similar to Tommy Bahama Set Sail SB, which is much less expensive.

+"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I love it, even though there are longevity issues. I wear it wear round as well. People love smelling something like this when it's so cold outside. They tell me I give them hope that summer will someday return! VIW is a fun, frivolous fragrance by a house that takes itself far too seriously. Well done!

I can not understand the comments made about the poor longevity of this fragrance .. It's my new acquisition, I wore it yesterday for the first time in my ride out and after 12-14 hours today I can smell it on me!

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    I can not understand the comments made about the poor longevity of this fragrance .. It's my new acquisition, I wore it yesterday for the first time in my ride out and after 12-14 hours today I can smell it on me!
    Don't get it either. For some reason my bottle seems really strong. Not only that, but I got 24+ hours out of it.
    Very happy with it.

Wearing it, I find it very unique, distinctive and special scent!

I don't own a bottle.....yet. Been sampling and loving - on my very short to buy list as spring / summer is fast approaching (crosses fingers with a foot of snow still on the ground).

Reading that reminds sunblock lotion, I do not agree. The lime in combination with white rum made it special!

I just wish it had some sort of unexpected twist to it like a subtle mango note, or hazlenut, or flinty/mineral/rocks, or marine/calone, etc...

Taking price out the picture it's good stuff, considering price it's probably overpriced, but I haven't found much else that's like it.
    and call me shallow but if someone asks me what I'm wearing I'd rather say Creed then Coconut scented self tanner... or body shop XYZ.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

It's on my very short list. I like the smell alot, although it is admittedly expensive for a summer only beach scent.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    It's on my very short list. I like the smell alot, although it is admittedly expensive for a summer only beach scent.
    I do not think that is an entirely summer beach scent..

For a lover of citrus scents, is one of the few flavors tha lime remains until the finish, although it is one of the top notes. For the accuracy of, what I feel is like the peel of lime, a combination of natural coconut wood..

Eau de Pia Colada

Reminiscent of feminine coconut scented hand lotion. One of my least favourite Creeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    Not really a big fan of Virgin Island. Smells like Lemon Pledge furniture polish to me
    Kind of agree with the opening notes -- but it does get MUCH better as it dries down. I just wish it had more longevity. Although I do think this is perfect for HOT summer days.

I voted for "reminds me of summer".

As for what title/name would i give it i'd go for Coconut Lime Vervena by B&BW look-a-like.

Sampling This but waiting for the weather to get warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post

I own both and I wish TB smelled/lasted/ or anything close to VIW. IMHO
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Quote Originally Posted by The King Of Kings View Post
    Sampling This but waiting for the weather to get warmer.
    And on cold days also I think .. reigns!

Just received a 30ml decant of Virgin Island Water. Bought it blind but so glad I did. Gorgeous scent, absolutely stunning. As far as the Set Sail St Barts comparison goes....I feel they are worlds apart. The TB is much sharper, has much less coconut and just smells synthetic. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Set Sail but it's nothing compared to VIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Just received a 30ml decant of Virgin Island Water. Bought it blind but so glad I did. Gorgeous scent, absolutely stunning. As far as the Set Sail St Barts comparison goes....I feel they are worlds apart. The TB is much sharper, has much less coconut and just smells synthetic. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Set Sail but it's nothing compared to VIW.
    Totally agree with your assessment of SSSB vs VIW. I used to see these kinds of fragrances more as novelties until I wore VIW a few times. Yes it's fun to wear and it does smell like a coconut drink with malibu rum in it, but it shines in the heat. Perfect sillage and projection and never cloying. A perfect refreshing and delicious summer gourmand.

Does Bath and Body Works Coconut Verbena even hold a candle to VIW?
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Does Bath and Body Works Coconut Verbena even hold a candle to VIW?
    It's a lot more feminine and flowery than VIW. Much more chemical and it's not going to hold up in the heat like VIW. It's a nice fragrance for the price, but VIW is superior in every way.

Wore it day, I love it....official scent of the summer, its perfect for the season..makes me feel good.

Yummy Coconut and Lime.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's a lot more feminine and flowery than VIW. Much more chemical and it's not going to hold up in the heat like VIW. It's a nice fragrance for the price, but VIW is superior in every way.
    I was afraid you'd say that.
    I hate this hobby
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Its 97 here tomorrow and it is gonna be my scent of the day.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I love this scent

I think Virgin Island Water is Creeds best fragrance along with Aventus. It is probably the best summer cologne on the market imo.

I love the simplicity of Creed but not the price, they captured the smell of tanning/sunscreen products but why wear a few hundred dollar bottle when I can slather on Banana Boat and smell the same.

Over simplifying it, but I love it either way....I like how they captured the essence of a day at the beach(possibly on some island) and the relaxation that goes along.

I like the scent development, its tropical fresh...and then the dry down tones down a little more like after taking a shower and throwing some more sunscreen but now there is that clean aspect which is more apparent and you're ready for a evening in Cancun.

Note some people use fresh and clean interchangeable, so do I at time but I'm sure those who've worn it will get what I'm saying.

I really like the smell of it, just not sure if i would want to wear it a lot. Almost too tropical. I'd love to use it for a candle or like an air freshener. I need to get a sample and try it around a couple times though to see how it wears

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    I love it, even though there are longevity issues. I wear it wear round as well. People love smelling something like this when it's so cold outside. They tell me I give them hope that summer will someday return! VIW is a fun, frivolous fragrance by a house that takes itself far too seriously. Well done!
    Yep, spot on. I've worn this plenty of times in the cold, I don't see what the problem with that is. For me, this scent makes me long for the summer months, a tiny bit of hope in the harsh winter months. A sweet reminder of what's to come. This honestly could not be a better fragrance in terms of replicating a relaxing day in the Virgin Islands, the coconut, lime and rum combo smells so real.

Very feminine. Wish it had more coconut. I don't get hardly any coconut. Mostly lime. Disappointing.

I don't think its feminine at all, I think its a very neutral smell that falls perfectly on the line of unisex...thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post

Are you sure? According to basenotes, it doesnt have a coconut note:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128385.html

Banned
    Blog Entries

Reminds me of summer-great frag