Code of Conduct

Thread: Job Interview

Default Job Interview

So tomorrow I have a job interview and just for the heck of it I would like to ask you what from my wardrobe you would wear in such a situation.

Yes, I do know it's not gonna get me the job (I hope my personality/skills will cover for that) and I also know it's silly but I'd still like to play

Wish me luck!
    Smellin good

Default Re: Job Interview

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!

And good luck!

Rive Gauche

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Rive Gauche
    That's another nice choice.

Also, Prada Infusion d'Homme would be perfect also.

Cool Water Hire Me or Cool Water Cool Job (2011)

I would wear no fragrance...depending on the person interviewing you, they might not like what you have on...so i would just go with deodorant and soap...imo

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver!

And good luck!
    A divine frag - but I don't see it in his wardrobe.
    Last edited by Anť; 8th February 2011 at 08:28 PM.

a light couple spritzes of Eau d'Orange Verte. That's my go-to interview scent since it's pretty low key and simple and unlikely to offend if it's even noticed.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I must say YSL Rive Gauche.

And Good luck, Timaru!

+1 on wearing no fragrance at all.
    I know this might be a problem for you but there is always a chance that you might offend some sensitive nose with your fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Rive Gauche
    Perfect selection

Good Luck

I think Rive Gauche and Allure Homme are safe choices...you got some beasts on there!

While I can see the argument of wearing nothing, I think "you got to be you" - within common sense of course. I wouldn't go trigger happy with something like M7 b/c that can really intrude on others noses. But there is just as much chance the person interviewing you doesn't like your face and you won't get the job, so I would say "the hell with it" and be yourself. But a reserved, professional version of yourself.

I've always believed you have to go into situations like that (dating too) with confidence and think in terms of equal footing. Obvious one can be respectful and open-minded without being a doormat.

I wouldn't wear anything.

I've had cologne backfire on me before when I went to a meeting only to give someone an allergic reaction. Turns out she worked as a chemist on various compounds that bear a structural resemblance to musk and had developed an allergy.

If you must wear something, go very light. It's an interview, not a club.

Habit Rouge > Boss Bottled > Allure Homme

very lightly applied. I'd do 2 to the chest and that's it.

My goal would be to smell pleasant, not flamboyant. Vetiver works but IMO can be off-putting and smell like your suit is overdue for a dry cleaning. Bvlgari's lineup is great for professional office setting. I used PH Soir on my last interview.

If you don't mind, what position are you interviewing for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
    +1 on wearing no fragrance at all.
    I know this might be a problem for you but there is always a chance that you might offend some sensitive nose with your fragrance.
    I interview people quite a bit and no fragrance is the way to go, it's not a date!
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I was also thinking Rive Gauche because it is not sweet like many of the scents you have and it is not a kick in the face like many fresh scents. With the fake heat being pumped through offices and buildings I don't think those type would work, which is why i settled on Rive Gauche.

I would spray very conservatively because you don't want to force people to smell you by having a huge invisible forcefield of fragrance. Just my opinion.

Good Luck!!

I also go with don't wear a fragrance. Just make sure you look clean, sharp, and personable. THere not going to care if you smell like a million bucks
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Hm. I had considered a lot but none at all?
    It's just for a part time job at an mid-to-upper-class clothing store to pay for everyday expenses while I'm at university, so not that a big deal.

@ EnvYus: Thanks, great tip
    Smellin good

I'm with some of the others - Don't wear a fragrance and good luck.

I personally would not wear a fragrance at a job interview for the reasons mentioned above. When you get that job, then go on a long Yatagan bender to celebrate. Best of luck!

Whatever makes you feel relaxed, lightly applied.

Good luck!

Just one shot of Allure Homme on the chest.

I want to say whatever fragrance makes you feel most confident, but I tend to side more with the "none" crowd. I just think we Basenoters are very scent based and our scents are truly a part of us. When people get to know us, that becomes understood.

But in an interview, there's so much stuff being judged that has nothing to do with your talents and abilities. It can't be helped. MrFragranceReview above is "one of us" and he's against it. If someone comes in all "fragged up," a tiny little negative tick mark is likely checked off in his head.

All that said, perhaps the slightest bit of Infusion Pour Homme. It smells very soapy, so instead of smelling "perfumey" maybe you just smell clean. (But that's stuff more potent than you think.)

Banned

+1 for not wearing anything.

I am assuming an important interview (suit and tie) for a career position. From his wardrobe, those were my recs but there are better ones out there.

Volume is of utmost importance. I think a frag choice is necessary for an important interview. You WILL emit some scent, whether its your BO, your aniperspirant/deodorant, and/or the lightly applied frag. 2 sprays to the chest max, stay away from the pulsepoints, youre not going to be hugging anyone.

I like more neutrally scented antiperspirants and the scents from the Chanel or Bvlagri house do better in these situations. There's something to be said about a classic, well made, but subdued scent and the Chanel house konw what they're doing.

Chanel Platinum Egoiste is my scent of choice in interviews. And truthfully, the more I smell Bleu de Chanel, the more I think it would be appropriate for a job interivew. Bvlagri PH is a nice alternative. I used to like vetiver-heavy frags but no more, it gives a musty drydown and can smell weird over drycleaned clothes... maybe its just me but there u have it.

Here's what BN says (just scroll down to Job Interview)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/214...portunity-here
    Last edited by shadidahs; 9th February 2011 at 08:11 AM.