Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Extreme question

Hi BNers,

I am considering blind buying TF Extreme. It's impossible to find in Denmark, so I have to go the blind buy route.

I have owned TF For Men, Noir EdP and own Tobacco Vanille and Grey Vetiver.

I liked TF For Men, but found a bit too citrusey, I missed some depth. Noir EdP was very good but too powdery for my taste.

Basically I am looking for a deeper and darker TF For Men, and have set my sights on TF Extreme. Will it fit the bill? And what are the scentwise differences between TF For Men and Extreme? Do they share any common ground in terms of scent?

Thanks

Update: Bought a bottle. See post #17 for review.
    Last edited by santos89; 26th November 2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Bought a bottle

Default Re: Tom Ford Extreme question

You should be happy to note, it's deeper and darker without as much citrus - but there are definitely noticeable differences. I wasn't big on the original TF4M and had actually bought Black Orchid but found it not too my liking (I just felt uncomfortable wearing it). When I returned it, TF Extreme had come out and I happily exchanged it for that. TF Extreme is just more classier, deeper, darker, etc. than the original - and seemed to almost have that chocolate trufflish note that I actually liked in Orchid. There's wood, patchouli, leather, a fig note in there, plum as well and booze (I believe there's a rum note.) I think you'll enjoy it.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    You should be happy to note, it's deeper and darker without as much citrus - but there are definitely noticeable differences. I wasn't big on the original TF4M and had actually bought Black Orchid but found it not too my liking (I just felt uncomfortable wearing it). When I returned it, TF Extreme had come out and I happily exchanged it for that. TF Extreme is just more classier, deeper, darker, etc. than the original - and seemed to almost have that chocolate trufflish note that I actually liked in Orchid. There's wood, patchouli, leather, a fig note in there, plum as well and booze (I believe there's a rum note.) I think you'll enjoy it.
    Thanks for your input.

Sounds like it would be something I like, I quite favor heavier and boozier scents. Any other input?

I never recommend blind buying, but it does sound like you'd be happy with Tom Ford Extreme. I love the stuff. It smells like a halfway point between Tom Ford For Men and Black Orchid, but it's darker than either of those, and it's nowhere nowhere nowhere near as loud as Black Orchid. "Extreme" is really a bad name for this one, not that the name even matters. There's nothing Extreme about TFE. It's dark, but gentlemanly, and it wears in a way that is more cozy than loud. I get around 8 hours from 4 sprays. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. Whenever the weather drops below 60 F/15 C, TFE really hits the spot!
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 19th November 2014 at 09:36 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by santos89 View Post
    Hi BNers,

I am considering blind buying TF Extreme. It's impossible to find in Denmark, so I have to go the blind buy route.
    Is there not a possibility of gettig a sample for yourself outside of Denmark?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I agree with the above comments. Although it's hard to recommend a blind buy, I also consider TFE a more masculine version of Black Orchid. It's deep and not so loud, very complex and layered including the trademark TF patchouli note. I think you'd enjoy it.

Go for it! It's complex, masculine, leathery, smokey, earthy and has some dry fruit notes. An excellent fragrance, one of my favorites!

Thanks for all your comments, it sounds like it's something I will like. Just to get an idea, are there any other mainstream designer fragrances that are at all similar to this? Just to get an idea of the vibe.

Hednic -> It is possible to get samples, but Danish customs are really expensive, so .it isn't really feasible compared to buying a bottle. Unfortunately

I honestly can't think of anything else that smells like TFE. It does smell a bit like Tom Ford For Men, but I didn't even pick up on the similarity initially. It also smells a bit like Black Orchid, as I said above, but I wouldn't be surprised if some don't pick up on the association at all. TFE really is its own scent. It's very masculine, quite dark and almost brooding, but the sweetness makes it somehow cozy. I've been on a big TFE kick lately. Over the past month, it's easily my most worn scent. I think quite highly of it.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

It has qualities similar to the now-defunct-hard-to-find-and-I-wish-I-never-sold-it Slatkin & Co. Black Fig & Absinthe, which I got as an edp at Neiman Marcus a number of years ago ($60 for 3.4oz in a silver bottle). I don't suspect many here, judging by the reviews at least, tried this scent, but there was black fig, patchouli, kashmir woods and a black currant note that could substitute for plums. It was deep, dark and a little medicinal, but had the same type of aura.

I love TF extreme
    I'd snap up a bottle of this but it just doesn't last on me. after an hour or so it becomes a skin scent.

Default Tom Ford Extreme question

TFE's middle name is depth, it has that in spades. A very nice masculine option for cooler weather. Dresses up and down pretty well.

I have some minor performance issues for longevity, but I solve that by simply respraying midday. This one is good enough I don't mind much.

Personally I think it's a smoother fuller take on Tuscan Leather. IMO it's exactly what the Ford house should feel like. It's a rich full leather with fruits and spices. It smells like the Ford brand, ie purple velour, brown leather and high polished wood. It's powerfully masculine, sexual and dramatic.

I know this subject always gets people a little agitated but personally I think this scent is best for someone mature, maybe 30-35+. It's a man's smell, not a college kid.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It does sound like you'd be happy with Tom Ford Extreme. I love the stuff. It smells like a halfway point between Tom Ford For Men and Black Orchid, but it's darker than either of those, and it's nowhere nowhere nowhere near as loud as Black Orchid.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I think Tom Ford Extreme will fit what you're looking for.
    Another one of my favorite Tom Ford scent.

Thanks for all your input. I will see to ordering a bottle of this ASAP.

Master-Classter -> No worries about agitation - all opinion is subjective, and I just appreciate the input. Whilst my age (24) is hardly the college kid age, I still see your point. I do wear Cartier Santos and other powerhouse fragrances without incident, so I hope this one is equally as wearable. Other wise I will just dye my hair grey, then I will look like I am in the 40s and in the clear ;-)

Thanks for all your replies, I am sadly quite a noob about this hobby and this really helped me get tuned into what this scent is all about. Looking forward to trying this fragrance.

I found out that a place in Sweden, called Ĺhlens, apparently has the TF designer line in a select few of their shops, so I jumped on a train and went over to try them out. TF For Men is nice, albeit not bottle worthy at retail price, Noir was as I remember it. The two stand outs were Extreme and Noir EdT. Noir EdT was very nice, but Extreme was stunning. It was everything I was looking for in the original TFFM. I immediatly bought a bottle. But.... when I tried it on skin, the darkness took a backseat to a very intense fruity/floral note. I can only guess this was the tuber or fig making an entrance.

I feared that my skin and the fragrance didn't gel. I spent all monday being miserable about this, figuring I might as well sell the bottle, as I wanted the fig/tuber and the intense dark woods that I had smelled on the strip.

I tried it again tuesday, and lo and behold - it all made sense again. I used a different shower gel which can mess with fragrances, I guess? Or perhaps it was just the mood, and my expectations were quite high - this is the most expensive fragrance I have ever bought at 150$, so I was perhaps a bit imtimidated by having so much cash invested in a single bottle, that I began to have doubts. But nonetheless, this is a keeper.

TL;DR: I am very very happy with this scent. It is very very good, and you can smell how high quality the ingredients are. The only catch is longievity. It lasts for about 5-6 hours on my skin, but what a magnificent 5-6 hours.

Thanks for all your advice and input, it has been greatly appreciated.

Personally I think it's just due to the scent being dynamic - you're going to get different facets of it here and there during the same and subsequent wearings. That's the mark of a great scent, imo.