Code of Conduct

Default Encre noir: In praise of cashmere woods

Have you ever noticed that wearing a certain fragrance will give you a better appreciation of another fragrance because you 'grasp' a certain key note better?

For me, ST Dupont Noir helped me appreciate Encre Noir better thanks to the shared note of cashmere woods. I bought a decant of Noir in the summer and wore it a few times, I liked it but it didn't really wow me like Guerlains Vetiver, and seemed too heavy for the heat.

I forgot I had the decant.

A month or so ago I got a bottle of Dupont Noir as a gift, and I loved it. You see I haven't smelled many fragrance (that I know of) with cashemere woods as I note. The blend of amber, cedar, vanilla, and musk smells very sensual to me, without being cloying. Others like it well on my skin.

Fast forward to today. I spray on some Encre Noir on a whim, and lo and behold , I love it! For some reason I can detect the cashmere woods now, softer than in Dupont Noir but the blend of it with the vetiver is brilliant and produces a very rich almost roasted nutty smell on me. The vetiver is much deeper/darker than Guerlains, making this a superb cold weather vetiver and a stunning blend that will be my next bottle. I also, love, love LOVE the ink note!

Two questions:

1: What other fragrances have an 'ink' note? I heard a CDG one did, but is is wearable?

2: What other fragrances prominently feature cashmere woods?

Default Re: Encre noir: In praise of cashmere woods

i just got encre noire today and you are right it really is an incredible smell.....i am not sure i like it as much as i appreciate it. it really is an incredible piece of smell.

1: What other fragrances have an 'ink' note? I heard a CDG one did, but is is wearable?
    creed smw has an ink note

Sur la Plage

Ink note - Comme des Garçons 2
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i was kinda affraid to admit this, but before i got this i had no idea what encre noire meant......so i put this stuff on today and was like wow this smells just like black ink.....little did i know thats what it meant lol. i am not sure to feel stupid about it or what....all i know is they really really named this frag perfectly....it really does smell like black ink.

Hmmm how does Black ink smell i cannot remember. Is there a great difference between blue and black ink :--)

Encre noir is at the top of my test list and it could be that i will not have the opportunity to try it so it could be another blind buy.

Is Encre noir a winter frag ?
    Last edited by sanatik; 8th January 2009 at 10:59 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Someone please stop me - at the rate I'm going I'll need a new house to store all my new frags..!

Bought 100ml encre noir EDT today - just love these earthy, woody perfumes. My expectations were high, having read many a positive review on BN, and I wasn't let down - absolutely love this frag! Highly recommended - a lot like my sycomore much has more personality.

Cashmere woods probably describes many cedar/amber aromachemicals, which are used in a great many fragrances these days.

This stuff has LONGEVITY! Crikey, 2 sprays (1 to chest, 1 to forearm) and 8 hours later it is still very, very active - go easy on this chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Cashmere woods probably describes many cedar/amber aromachemicals, which are used in a great many fragrances these days.
    There's specifically a big dose of this stuff in Encre Noir. It's a great frag, and I know there's Iso E Super in it, lots, and other cedar/amber aromachemicals, but the one that helps create the lingering, lush diffusiveness of this scent is Cashmeran, interacting of course with the big vetiver accord and the cedar.

Vetiver Extraordinaire in this respect is similar. Cashmeran is pretty common stuff, but what is uncommon is how well-blended it is in this scent, how perfectly is accentuates nutty and floral components of the vetiver, and how carefully it dances on the edge of being overdone, as it often is, in which case it comes off as more generically musky wood.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 16th February 2011 at 05:51 PM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man