Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    moreda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    803

    Default amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Most amouage attars doenst come with the naem on the bottle.
    and i own about 14 bottles.

    now i know that i bought badr al bedour and molook, but to my nose they are identical .
    has any body else tried them and can any body tel me some wise words please ?

  2. #2

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    I wish I could try all the attars, but so far only two which is Homage and Tribute that are accessible.

  3. #3

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Mo, you're right, the notes are very similar in both, but the BaB is more about oud and rose with the ambergris providing just a non-intrusive back vocal while Molook is mostly about ambergris and rose. If you smell them side by side you should be able to tell them apart - the one with a sharper, brighter, more penetrating ambergris is the Molook. The drydown is quite different too - BaB goes into the soft oud aroma and Molook stays a pretty intense ambergris scent with a touch of oud and what smells like saffron to me (I know it's not listed in the notes) to take off some of the roughness. Colour-wise, the Molook attar is slighly lighter than BaB.

  4. #4
    moreda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    thanx igor!!!

    now i should be able to notice the differences.
    it is jsut they bothe have same topnetes and mid nots.
    and takes hurs befor u notic they are startingto change.
    and i think one of them is immediately is stronger... but dont know if it the molook or the other

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,405

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    I bought Molook in Rome a week ago (for those in Italy, Campomarzio70 has the whole export collection of attars).

    Igor nailed it. Molook is mostly an ambergris with a woody, not too strong oud and a saffrony sandalwood note at the end. Badr al Badour is more oudhy.

    Perhaps it's not my very favorite in the Attar series, but it's excellent and I didn't have anything like it. The price was also better (below around eur 180, if I remember correctly). But for those who like a salty, marine ambergris, it's certainly a must have.

    My favorites were an intense animalic indian oudh which went for eur 1500 (was it al khaloud?), and a strong oud-musk mixture (was it al shmouk?) which went for eur 500 or so. Interestingly, Tribute and Homage had different prices (Tribute was cheaper, I believe) while here in the states they go (or at least went until recently) for the same price.

    cacio

  6. #6
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,177

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Just reviving this thread because I have a similar problem as Moreda has: I can't tell my attars apart when I open my fragrance closet. It's such a drag to sniff the bottle in order to know which one I am applying. Is it too much to ask for Amouage to actually label their attar bottles, especially considering they are not exactly cheap?
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,405

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    It must be an Arabian thing, hedonist can verify. The store decants into a standard bottle on the spot. I've bought from other houses and it's always like that. Standard Arabian oil bottles and no label. Obviously it doesn't make much sense when they already arrive prefilled. I don't care about the look and I slap on a label as soon as I purchase.

    cacio

  8. #8
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,177

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It must be an Arabian thing, hedonist can verify. The store decants into a standard bottle on the spot. I've bought from other houses and it's always like that. Standard Arabian oil bottles and no label. Obviously it doesn't make much sense when they already arrive prefilled. I don't care about the look and I slap on a label as soon as I purchase.

    cacio
    I should have done that too... Blast!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  9. #9

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Have you looked at the bottom of the bottle? All mine have a label on them. 16 different bottle's, 16 labels.
    Also I have taken a small piece of masking tape and put that on the bottom of the box so I don't have to open them.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    Dependent LloydLlewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    2,177

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Have you looked at the bottom of the bottle? All mine have a label on them. 16 different bottle's, 16 labels.
    Also I have taken a small piece of masking tape and put that on the bottom of the box so I don't have to open them.
    Yes, I looked there, as it would be the logical place to identify them and not spoil the clean image of the see-through bottle, but nothing there
    And about the boxes, I have all my bottles displayed unboxed in my fragrance cabinet. I'm especially glad to have them like that in the case of the Amouage attars, as the procedure of opening their pretty stuck-tight boxes was pretty risky of causing an accident. By accident, of course, I mean the bottle jumping in the air, crashing on the floor and scenting the room for ever and ever. Imagine that!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

  11. #11

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Yes, I looked there, as it would be the logical place to identify them and not spoil the clean image of the see-through bottle, but nothing there
    And about the boxes, I have all my bottles displayed unboxed in my fragrance cabinet. I'm especially glad to have them like that in the case of the Amouage attars, as the procedure of opening their pretty stuck-tight boxes was pretty risky of causing an accident. By accident, of course, I mean the bottle jumping in the air, crashing on the floor and scenting the room for ever and ever. Imagine that!
    Well DAMN!! most of mine except two were labled....
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Winston Churchill

  12. #12

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I bought Molook in Rome a week ago (for those in Italy, Campomarzio70 has the whole export collection of attars).

    Igor nailed it. Molook is mostly an ambergris with a woody, not too strong oud and a saffrony sandalwood note at the end. Badr al Badour is more oudhy.

    Perhaps it's not my very favorite in the Attar series, but it's excellent and I didn't have anything like it. The price was also better (below around eur 180, if I remember correctly). But for those who like a salty, marine ambergris, it's certainly a must have.

    My favorites were an intense animalic indian oudh which went for eur 1500 (was it al khaloud?), and a strong oud-musk mixture (was it al shmouk?) which went for eur 500 or so. Interestingly, Tribute and Homage had different prices (Tribute was cheaper, I believe) while here in the states they go (or at least went until recently) for the same price.

    cacio
    What would you recommend in Attar series? Also whats your pick between Molook and AL BADOUR?

  13. #13

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Anyone you guys can recommend to buy samples of Amouage Attars?

  14. #14

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Anyone you guys can recommend to buy samples of Amouage Attars?
    Very difficult to get hold of now. And most have been reformulated anyway.
    Life is too short to sample. Buy Blind | I am generally not interested in batch hunting or weak fragrances.

    Top 10 in no particular order:

    Amouage - Epic Man
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Boucheron - Jaipur pour homme edp
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes pure parfum
    Thierry Mugler - A Men Pure Malt
    Dior - Sauvage edt
    Rochas - Lui
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Mancera - Cedrat Boise

  15. #15

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    What would you recommend in Attar series? Also whats your pick between Molook and AL BADOUR?
    Molook is a taifi rose flanked by an interplay between Indian oud and ambergris. Badr al Badour depending on which batch you get is a warmer attar with bulgarian rose and cambodian oud, with sandalwood in the base. BAB red box 1st batch (identified with clear sticker on outside of cellophane) is more rose centric, 2nd batch (clear sticker inside cellophane wrap) has more oud with rose in the background. They're both wonderful.

    Edit: Badr al Badour is made with Bulgarian rose, Ayoon al Maha uses Turkish rose.
    Last edited by mixerscent; 1st September 2016 at 01:35 AM.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,405

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    As mixerscent said. Personally, I prefer Molook, which is more unusual.

    That said, Amouage has reformulated many of its things. The attars are not distributed anymore in the US, I don't know their status in the middle east, but make sure the quality is still good before you dump money in them.

    cacio

  17. #17

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    Molook is a taifi rose flanked by an interplay between Indian oud and ambergris. Badr al Badour depending on which batch you get is a warmer attar with turkish rose and cambodian oud, with sandalwood in the base. BAB red box 1st batch (identified with clear sticker on outside of cellophane) is more rose centric, 2nd batch (clear sticker inside cellophane wrap) has more oud with rose in the background. They're both wonderful.
    Hi

    Which batch do you reckon this is?

    Life is too short to sample. Buy Blind | I am generally not interested in batch hunting or weak fragrances.

    Top 10 in no particular order:

    Amouage - Epic Man
    Montale - Black Aoud
    Montale - Aoud Lime
    Boucheron - Jaipur pour homme edp
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes pure parfum
    Thierry Mugler - A Men Pure Malt
    Dior - Sauvage edt
    Rochas - Lui
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Mancera - Cedrat Boise

  18. #18

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Hi

    Which batch do you reckon this is?

    Red box 2nd batch.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Member rivieraduece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Biloxi,Mississippi
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Hi

    Which batch do you reckon this is?

    What you think about this,i have Molook and its 1 of if not my favorite frag for dates

  20. #20

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by rivieraduece View Post
    What you think about this,i have Molook and its 1 of if not my favorite frag for dates
    You'll like it. This is second batch red box and the balance is more towards oud than rose. If you prefer rose then get the first batch with the clear sticker outside the cellophane wrap, just ask the vendor. Hard to find but worth it. I made an error above, BaB is made with Bulgarian rose. Ayoon al Maha is made with Turkish rose and is sweeter, more luscious and feminine.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Member rivieraduece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Biloxi,Mississippi
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by mixerscent View Post
    You'll like it. This is second batch red box and the balance is more towards oud than rose. If you prefer rose then get the first batch with the clear sticker outside the cellophane wrap, just ask the vendor. Hard to find but worth it. I made an error above, BaB is made with Bulgarian rose. Ayoon al Maha is made with Turkish rose and is sweeter, more luscious and feminine.
    Thanks mixerscent,your are always helpful

  22. #22

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    My pleasure, ask Avinash or Mohammed if they have Ajwad or Al Shomoukh red box first batch (you'll need to specific the clear sticker outside the cellophane wrap). Al Shomoukh is an incredibly beautiful rose and oud, later versions became animalic oud and musk like ASQ Jewel blend.

  23. #23
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Downwind from Gettysburg
    Posts
    5,920
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    I own the Badr al Badour with the gold holographic sticker...It is INCREDIBLE. The sandalwood opening is sharp and mixes well with the medicinal oud. Dry-down is what I wait for- A beautiful Rose with light oud and sandalwood. The rose is different than Tribute which is the best rose I've ever smelled, but this is exquisite. When I found a great deal, I bought 2 bottles. I'm selling one b/c I realized that the 6ml bottle I opened will last me the rest of my life. One drop projects and has incredible Sillage all day.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

  24. #24

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Hello I been looking into this attar from Amouage and I need some help my wife don't like so much some ouds the only ones she like are a couple of Maison Francis Kurkdjian on me so is any of this attar in the range of any Maison Francis Kurkdjian Ouds Thanks and I looking for something not super strong but opulent elegant and wearable Thanks to all.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,405

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    I find Kurkdjian's oud reconstruction more sweetish and sour relative to muskier and woodier reconstructions. I'd say Molook could be a good choice, as it is mostly clean and bright, not heavy and musky.

    cacio

  26. #26
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Downwind from Gettysburg
    Posts
    5,920
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: amouage attar badr al bedour and Molook similarity .

    Quote Originally Posted by trucupey20 View Post
    Hello I been looking into this attar from Amouage and I need some help my wife don't like so much some ouds the only ones she like are a couple of Maison Francis Kurkdjian on me so is any of this attar in the range of any Maison Francis Kurkdjian Ouds Thanks and I looking for something not super strong but opulent elegant and wearable Thanks to all.

    Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    You need to try Tribute. Smokey rose oud isn't much noticeable.
    [SIZE=]See my Sale thread for partial bottles/samples Zoology, Penhaligon, Montale, marc de la morandiere, many others! [/SIZE]
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed




Similar Threads

  1. Amouage HOMAGE vs Amouage MOLOOK - comparisons anyone?
    By gupts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13th April 2015, 03:26 AM
  2. If you can only have one Amouage attar, what would it be?
    By swarnadwipa in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 7th November 2014, 11:15 AM
  3. Amouage Homage Attar vs Tribute Attar?
    By irrbloss in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 23rd November 2012, 09:33 PM
  4. Amouage Al Andalus Attar vs. Homage Attar
    By Addict in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th July 2010, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000