Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Help with longevity and projection

I have been having difficulty with projection and longevity. I have used boss #6, AdG, La nuit de l'homme, and even le male, and i cant smell them on my arm even 3 hours later. I am only 20 and my skin is not dry, it is actually quite oily. I dont know what to do, i am not getting any compliments because no one can smell it, even when girls hug me and have their faces in my neck, like an hour or so after application. I dont know if frags are just not for me, or if it is because its winter and theres absolutely no humidity.

Default Re: Help with longevity and projection

Might be you'll have to start wearing Joop! Homme, Mambac.

There's not much one can do to increase projection, but, and there'll be threads you can find about this, sometimes you can seem to extend longevity by using a body lotion/skin moisturizer/other oil after a shower and before you spray on your scent. A neutral smelling lotion/moisturizer/oil that is; I think I got one from the shelves of the local grocery store when I tried this out. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes I don't know.

There might be olfactory fatigue coming into play for you as well, and those who get close to smell you might not realize you've got a scent on because it's unfamilar to them. You might, and I say might, as this might help other new members who are reading this post, find that scents last longer on you the more days you wear them in a row, thus making yourself more familiar with them. Then again such wearing for some might bring on olfactory fatigue as well.

There's nothing to do but try your best and take your chances. There's always the mighty power hitters out there, and Joop! Homme might be waiting for you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Might be you'll have to start wearing Joop! Homme, Mambac.

There's not much one can do to increase projection, but, and there'll be threads you can find about this, sometimes you can seem to extend longevity by using a body lotion/skin moisturizer/other oil after a shower and before you spray on your scent. A neutral smelling lotion/moisturizer/oil that is; I think I got one from the shelves of the local grocery store when I tried this out. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes I don't know.

There might be olfactory fatigue coming into play for you as well, and those who get close to smell you might not realize you've got a scent on because it's unfamilar to them. You might, and I say might, as this might help other new members who are reading this post, find that scents last longer on you the more days you wear them in a row, thus making yourself more familiar with them. Then again such wearing for some might bring on olfactory fatigue as well.

There's nothing to do but try your best and take your chances. There's always the mighty power hitters out there, and Joop! Homme might be waiting for you.
    Thanks, ive seen joop at a couple places but i have never smelled or sampled it, ill have to try it.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by mambac View Post
    Thanks, ive seen joop at a couple places but i have never smelled or sampled it, ill have to try it.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may last a long time, but that doesn't mean you should wear it!

Most of the stuff you've been wearing has mediocre longevity, and the one with good longevity just flat out stinks.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Hunt down a sample of Avant-Garde by M. Micallef if you want a good example of awesome longevity with a oriental.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Try applying unscented lotion (I use Vaseline Total Moisture Conditioning) on your skin first. Then, wait 30 to 60 mins. and let it dry and stick to your skin. Then, spray your fragrance on it.

It's olfactory fatigue. Yes, it has been mentioned before. But that is what it is. Spray less and spray away from your nose.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Try applying unscented lotion.
    This.

It is almost certainly olfactory fatigue. Do not go searching for even more powerful fragrances; you will turn yourself into the "Cologne Guy".

It's definitely not olfactory fatigue, and forget the unscented lotion too. Obviously the ones giving you this ridiculus advice don't share your problem and think you're nose is fatigued, or your skin is dry. Complete hogwash. I have the answer because I have the same problem. You need to sample and be very selective on juices with good sillage and longevity.

Here's a short list of frags that last and have sillage. If these don't work, your problem is larger than mine.

Black Aoud by Montale
    Aromatic Lime by Montale
    Sables by Annick Goutal
    Richwood by Xerjoff
    Leather Oud by Dior
    Eau Noire by Dior
    L' homme Sage by Divine
    Fougere Bengale by Parfums d'Empire
    Wazamba by Parfums d'Empire
    New Haarlem by Bond #9
    Yatagan by Caron
    Duro by Nasomatto and any other Nasomatto scent
    Absolue pour le soir by Maison Francais Kurkdjian
    Musc Ravageur by Frederick Malle

There's many more than this short list, but I would start sampling a couple of these to see if they cure your problem.
    Last edited by thebeck; 9th February 2011 at 07:20 PM.

fountain

apply on your temples. it works.

I was going to say olfactory fatigue until you said OTHERS couldn't smell it - or rather you say they didn't compliment you on it... I trust that you asked them if they could smell your fragrance rather than just inferring that the lack of compliments was as a result of no discernible scent. Maybe they just don't like Le Male and others.

Denver's at quite a high altitude isn't it - I wonder if the thinner, drier air just completely destroys your frags, I guess it depends how long you spend outside.

Well I use Curel unscented lotion after shower and it works pretty darn good, really boosts the longevity. Projection maybe it does that as well but it sure stays around forever after lotion. You could also just soak the brim of this hat and use this to pump up the sillage !

Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.

Try other fragrances, like Rochas man, GIT , Gucci Envy, Terres Hermes, Linstant Guerlain Extreme. You'll just need to keep sampling till you find ones that are perfect for you.

1 Million projects like CRAZY, Try D & G The One. There very sweet scents and girls like them.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Hey mambac maybe you could just try a process of elimination? Ask others if they can smell the frags on you after a few hours (not sure from your post if you actually asked). If others can smell the frags try not wearing or smelling any frags for a week to give your nose a break. If others can't smell the frags get your skin checked, maybe it's not oily everywhere, some people have patchy skin. If not oily try moisturising at night. Otherwise I'm sure others have given you sound frag suggestions. For me Opium for men has always been a monster so maybe throw that in for a test.

I used to have problems with longevity, but I think it was caused by how I was applying the fragrance. I used to do something like this... 2 sprays on the chest, 1 on the shirt, 1 on the back of the neck, and 1 on each forearm (6 sprays total). I switched to spraying 4 on the chest and 2 on the back of the neck, still 6 sprays, but it seems to last longer. I guess it may be due to the concentration of the liquid, idk. Of course the number of sprays has to be adjusted according to what fragrance you're wearing, but give it a shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anť View Post
    I was going to say olfactory fatigue until you said OTHERS couldn't smell it - or rather you say they didn't compliment you on it... I trust that you asked them if they could smell your fragrance rather than just inferring that the lack of compliments was as a result of no discernible scent. Maybe they just don't like Le Male and others.

Denver's at quite a high altitude isn't it - I wonder if the thinner, drier air just completely destroys your frags, I guess it depends how long you spend outside.
    Yes i have asked my family if they could smell my frags even after i applied liberally, as i susspected no one else could smell them, and yes denver being at higher altitude means less humidity so perhaps thats the cause

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JMUHOBO View Post
    Try other fragrances, like Rochas man, GIT , Gucci Envy, Terres Hermes, Linstant Guerlain Extreme. You'll just need to keep sampling till you find ones that are perfect for you.

1 Million projects like CRAZY, Try D & G The One. There very sweet scents and girls like them.
    I have both of these

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    Well I use Curel unscented lotion after shower and it works pretty darn good, really boosts the longevity. Projection maybe it does that as well but it sure stays around forever after lotion. You could also just soak the brim of this hat and use this to pump up the sillage !

when u guys apply unscented lotion to neck right after shower, how longer after that do you apply fragrance?

this may seem obvious but I had to ask, are you spraying directly on your pulse points?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    this may seem obvious but I had to ask, are you spraying directly on your pulse points?
    yes, i have sprayed my neck like 5-6 times at close range, to the point where the frag runs down my neck. Even with Le Male, i have asked family if they can smell it, and they can only smell it at point blank range after 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mambac View Post
    yes, i have sprayed my neck like 5-6 times at close range, to the point where the frag runs down my neck. Even with Le Male, i have asked family if they can smell it, and they can only smell it at point blank range after 2 hours.
    Wow...Two suggestions: Apply 2-3 sprays of fragrance to your clothes (yes, this actually improves the sillage of most fragrances even though they will smell a little different) and use unscented lotion 5-10mins before applying fragrance. I'm talking neck and chest coverage with a healthy application of lotion. Then apply cologne normally.

How is it going?

Yes would be nice to hear how is it performing?

Just received AG last week. Nice! Reminds me of Ted Lapidus Altamir.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    Hunt down a sample of Avant-Garde by M. Micallef if you want a good example of awesome longevity with a oriental.
    - - - Updated - - -

After showering, Rub baby oil on your skin. Spray on top of that. It should help you.