Code of Conduct

Thread: Vetiver

Default Vetiver

I've read a lot of things recently about vetiver. Some bad, but mainly good. New to vetiver, having my first knowing encounter with a test of creed vetiver recently. Though it didn't wow me, it did intrigue me and caused interest. I'm a big fan of Chanel pour monsieur and see vetiver is in the base notes of this. No stores near me sell the vetiver scents I've been looking into and so would be buying blind. From reviews and this forum, I am really being drawn to getting something vetiver, if only to see what the fuss is! Chanel sycomore and creed are too pricy to blind buy. What should I try? Think I've got my list down to guerlain vetiver, encre noire or grey vetiver...

Default Re: Vetiver

The three you mentioned are all good.

Guerlain Vetiver remains one of my all time favorite fragrances and is a classic. Definitely try that one. It has a good bit of citrus in the opening and noticeable tobacco later on.

Encre Noir is more of a straight vetiver smell, rather dull textured, less lively and effusive than the Guerlain.

Grey Vetiver lies somewhere between the two in overall style. It has some citrus and is brighter than Encre Noir, but lacks that tobacco and strength of the Guerlain.

None of these are the soapy vetiver you get in Creed Original Vetiver. Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver and Thierry Mugler Cologne are similar, soapy vetivers.

Fragrances where vetiver is well mixed into a blend include Lanvin Vetyver and L'Occitane Vetiver. In these fragrances the vetiver doesn't dominate, but is more subtle and part of the overall mixture.

Hey, thanks. About the three I mentioned, you've confirmed what I was thinking... Thanks for the advice on the others too. I'll look into these, as I quite like soapiness, but I do think I'll go for Guerlain Vetiver, and maybe a sample of Encre Noir, as these keep getting mentioned as great places to start with Vetiver. Guerlain being said as the classic

thanks

CdG Vettiveru is another good one to try...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Eau Sauvage has a pronounced vetiver base. Though I must admit, I find it hard to distinguish this note from wormwood. Bitter - but pleasant.

I'd go for Grey Vetiver. It's an easy introduction into the world of Vetivers and the soapy cleanliness makes for a safe office scent. Guerlain's offering, as classic as it might be requires an appreciation for the tobacco accord. Consequently, the combination of Vetiver and Tobacco smells like dental cement to my nose. I bought it blind and was disappointed. You'll either love it or hate it.

If you liked Creed's Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne shares a very similar vibe.
    Last edited by adonis; 18th January 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Blanco-Out of curiosity did you try Creed's Original Vetiver or the Vetiver 1948?

The Guerlain should be easily available so you can start from that. It has some additional citrus, but the vetiver is pretty much evident (more so than in the Tom Ford, to my nose). Sycomore is on a planet of its own, but it's expensive (though smaller bottle should be available soon). But if you are in London, do try to stop by the boutique and smell.

Are there Lush stores around? If so, you should try Breath of God as well. It's a very weird vetiver, and inexpensive too. However, the note is mixed with so many things that you probably want to smell it after you've smelled some more straightforward vetivers.

There are many other worthy niche vetivers (Lubin, Maitre Gantier et Parfumeur, Givenchy), but they are expensive and hard to find.

cacio

I blind bought a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver last year. I really don't wear it often, but I do see it as the gold standard of citrus vetivers today. If you can get a sample or mini of Hermes Terre D' Hermes, that should also be a staple in your collection if vetiver is something that you crave.Encre Noir is something for the diehard vetiver fan, and may be a bit much, especially if Creed Original Vetiver is your point of reference, which is not the rooty vetiver that is usually used in fragrances. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka may be the cream of the crop for vetivers, but is quite expensive. However, you'd do good to sample this one if at all possible.

Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver and Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford are extremely similar - basic grassy masculine vetivers, while the Guerlain is boosted by tobacco and the Tom Ford is boosted by woods.

If Chanel Sycomore is too pricey for you, Encre Noire by Lalique is a great option. It's an excellent smoked vetiver, that smells kind of like a campfire with vetiver thrown right in. Just be aware that it's very raw and in-your-face. Plus, you don't have to pay $100 for Encre Noire - you can find it for under $40 at parfum1.com: http://www.parfum1.com/lalique-brand.asp?brd=Lalique
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Thanks folks, great help for a newby to vetiver and getting serious about my scent!
    Will be sure to try sycomore as i'm a sucker for Chanel.
    I've found a reasonably priced guerlain vetiver, and encre noire, so gonna try those for starters. The creed I tested was in a gift shop and I was in a rush so didn't catch what is was other than vetiver. There was loads of creed and it was all a bit overwhelming!!!

I recently smelled the vetiver line up: Hermessence Vetiver Tonka , Chanel Sycomore, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Lalique Encre Noir, CdG Vetiveru and Wonderwood, Guerlain Vetiver.
    I have yet to smell Malle's vetiver extraordinaire and Creed's Vetiver and Serge Lutens' Vetiver Oriental.

fresh, citrusy vetivers:
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver

smokey/dark vetivers:
    Encre Noir
    wonderwood

smooth vetivers:
    vetiver tonka
    vetiveru

And IMO, Chanel Sycomore is on a planet's of its own as rightly said by Cacio!

This doesnt mean that Sycomore is better than Guerlain's vetiver or that vetiver tonka is not on par with Sycomore. Each is a different take on vetiver. The citrus blend being my least favorite.

Sur la Plage

Givenchy Vetyver
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dior Vetiver outshines those already mentioned, although the Malle, Guelain, and Encre Noire are also great.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I'd go for Grey Vetiver. It's an easy introduction into the world of Vetivers and the soapy cleanliness makes for a safe office scent. Guerlain's offering, as classic as it might be requires an appreciation for the tobacco accord. Consequently, the combination of Vetiver and Tobacco smells like dental cement to my nose. I bought it blind and was disappointed. You'll either love it or hate it.
    Both great recommendations adonis, I would suggest the same.
    - Expect the unexpected

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Eau Sauvage has a pronounced vetiver base. Though I must admit, I find it hard to distinguish this note from wormwood. Bitter - but pleasant.
    Wormwood has a pungent anise note that vetiver doesn't have. Conversely, vetiver has a smoky quality that I don't get out of wormwood. Vetiver's the more user-friendly of the two, wormwood overpowers very very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    If you liked Creed's Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne shares a very similar vibe.
    Big fan of Mugler Cologne, but I can't stand OV. Don't see the connection myself.

I read that you picked up Guerlain Vetiver, you may want to look into Mugler Cologne if you find GV too stuffy/dated, I love Mugler Cologne as a modern take on the note. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka honestly features more of the latter than the former, it's not a very accurate vetiver but still a lovely fragrance, one of my all-time favorites.

Also, the new Escentric 03 is a fascinating niche take on vetiver, I've been wearing it for two nights now and I don't feel I'm any closer to understanding it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

After all I'd read about Encre Noire, and finding a very reasonably priced 100ml at ú35 online, I blind bought some and was seriously glad I did. It's great, and lives up to what I'd read (almost knew what it'd smell like from the descriptions such as campfire with vetiver thrown in!). Thanks folks for the help. I also got some Eau Sauvage a couple of weeks ago. I love this too, although it doesn't last for long on my skin (may need to go for the extreme or leather fresh?). I'm now getting hooked on scents!

I tried Noble Vetiver by Chopard last week and is quite good, not strong , very pleasent.