Code of Conduct

Question Do You Need Distilled Water With Perfumers Alcohol?

I am not well educated on making fragrances, but I have put an order through for 1L of perfumers alcohol, 500ml of distilled water and 20/30 10ml bottles of various essential oils and fragrances. I will make a post in a few days before I begin but I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) If I use perfumers alcohol instead of vodka, do I need to add distilled water after the oil/alcohol has matured?

2) What is the ratio/percentage of perfumers alcohol to distilled water? (If question 1 is a yes)

Thanks
    Last edited by gohan2091; 13th February 2011 at 03:00 AM.

Default Re: Do You Need Distilled Water With Perfumers Alcohol?

please can anyone help? I cannot start my experiment until I know the answer to this question.

why dont you just experiment with it? I would try the same as the vodka method first.

This may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Castrensis View Post
    This may help you.
    Thanks. It says I use 0-5% distilled water? I guess I will use a bit after waiting for the oils to settle for a week. I am really confused over the ratios and measurements. I just filled half a 10ml bottle with perfumers alcohol and added 20 or so drops of various oils (adding more top notes than middle and base). Not sure if this is too strong or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
    Thanks. It says I use 0-5% distilled water? I guess I will use a bit after waiting for the oils to settle for a week. I am really confused over the ratios and measurements. I just filled half a 10ml bottle with perfumers alcohol and added 20 or so drops of various oils (adding more top notes than middle and base). Not sure if this is too strong or not.
    I'm not a perfumer, mind you, & this will probably get more & better qualified answers in the DIY forum (maybe a mod can move?) but I'm happy to speculate.

For low-viscosity solutions you can generally consider 20gtts/mL. Assuming your oils aren't very viscous the final ratio is 5mL alcohol to 1mL oil. Dividing the volume of oil by the total volume (1/6) results in ~16% concentration of oil.

What I'd really like to know is what's accomplished by adding water. Any perfumers care to chime in?

Additionally, if you've purchased Snowdrift Farm's perfumer's alcohol the page states:

No water should be added because the isopropyl myristate will separate out. Essential oils should be added slowly and mixed well.
    Last edited by Castrensis; 14th February 2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Apparently I have both poor reading comprehension & mathematical skill. Edited for idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by Castrensis View Post
    I'm not a perfumer, mind you, & this will probably get more & better qualified answers in the DIY forum (maybe a mod can move?) but I'm happy to speculate.

For low-viscosity solutions you can generally consider 20gtts/mL. Assuming your oils aren't very viscous the final ratio is 5mL alcohol to 1mL oil. Dividing the volume of oil by the total volume (1/6) results in ~16% concentration of oil.

What I'd really like to know is what's accomplished by adding water. Any perfumers care to chime in?

Additionally, if you've purchased Snowdrift Farm's perfumer's alcohol the page states:
    Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it. If a mod could move this to the DIY forum, I would be grateful.

I filled two 10ml glass bottles by adding 5ml alcohol followed by 20 or so drops of various essential oils. I then filled another two 10ml glass bottles by adding 7.5ml alcohol and adding 20 or so drops of various essential oils and a few fragrance oil. After adding each oil, I mixed slowly but sometimes, adding another oil flattens the smell (like when I added 2 drops of Lime, my wonderful smell vanished (but I got this back by re-adding a few earlier oils). All this is written down on paper encase I want to recreate in the future.

The oils smell better one day after mixing them which is interesting. I shall leave them to mature at least for another 4 days. As for distilled water, if my perfumers alcohol contains isopropyl myristate, I won't add the water.

When creating some of my fragrances, I tried to duplicate some well known brands by grabbing the notes on the bassnotes fragrance directory. Unfortunately, it only lists the oils I need and doesn't tell me if I should be adding more of one oil than another. For example:

Davidoff Cool Water

I have all the oils above apart from Peppermint (I used Spearmint instead) and Orange Blossom (I used Orange) I am not sure if I should add more Lavender than say Rosemary or if there should be more Coriander than Orange.... this really is a guessing game!
    Last edited by gohan2091; 15th February 2011 at 03:15 AM.