Code of Conduct

Thread: Guerlain Soap

Default Guerlain Soap

I've just bought some old Mitsouko soap -I figured I needed yet another way to buy Mitsouko

Do Guerlain soaps in general tend to be any good? I remember using Heritage shower gel a few years ago and it didn't really smell like Heritage at all to me. OTOH Coriolan shower gel was great, but other than that I don't have much experience of Guerlain scented accessories.

I'd love to track down some Apres l'Ondee or Jicky soap if such a thing ever existed...

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Guerlain Soap

I have a Chamade soap but I've never seen any other.
    Congratulations on your Mitsouko find.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I remember the soaps in green soap dishes. Mitsouko and Shalimar are the ones I remember but I believe they did make all the fragrances, well the feminines ones.
    DONNA

Shalimar Lite comes in a shower gel that is quite nice. I was just discussing Guerlain soaps with Mike Perez over lunch today, what a coincidence reading this thread is.

I am sending you a link to some Shalimar soap :

http://www.escentual.com/guerlain/sh...edium=shopping

Cheers

Basenotes Institution

I think I have seen Jicky soap once on Ebay last year- very tempting but I was concerned about the aroma having dissipated after so many years even though it was still in it's wrapper.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I also have some vintage Mitsouko soap, but I left it in my apartment in Stockholm. I guess I could ask my brother to mail a bar, or bring it if he comes to visit...

Blog Entries

I had some old soap once & it was crumbly & unpleasant. It's hard to know what shape it will be in if it's very old.

Not all fragrances translate well into bath products, unfortunately. Shower gels can have a slightly plasticky odor that will expand, imo, if the fragrance in it is at all aquatic or, god forbid, the dreaded aquatic-melon.

For a classic such as a Guerlain icon (Mitsouko, as you mention), I would prefer the soap if at all possible. The physical qualities of hard-milled soap make it a better bet for aging well. If it's exposed to humidity while still in the wrapper and then dries out again, the crumbling mentioned above can happen.

The best Guerlain soap I ever used was their Vetiver. The fragrance still lives but the soap went out of production in the 1990's, I believe. The wrapper on the soap was so beautiful that I hated to throw it away - dark green with a gold sunburst pattern. Those were the days, huh?

I'm an amateur soapmaker, and I've made soaps of my fave perfumes. I've just finished my own homemade Mitsouko soap (by using real Mitsouko in it). No surprises - it smells just like Mitsouko. So far I've done soaps of 10 different perfumes I have, have tested them on myself and a few female friends, and gotten positive feedbacks.

Have pondered about whether I could run this service commercially on a small scale - a "You can have any perfume in my Wardrobe turned into a soap" service. Price is a consideration, eg would people here pay say a real-Mitsouko-infused soap for US$12?

(And to the chemist nerds - no need to tell me that soaps, bath gels etc usually uses a slightly different formulation of the perfume. I knew all that. Still, one cannot argue with one's nose when it comes to the final results eh?).
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    I'm an amateur soapmaker, and I've made soaps of my fave perfumes. I've just finished my own homemade Mitsouko soap (by using real Mitsouko in it). No surprises - it smells just like Mitsouko. So far I've done soaps of 10 different perfumes I have, have tested them on myself and a few female friends, and gotten positive feedbacks.

Have pondered about whether I could run this service commercially on a small scale - a "You can have any perfume in my Wardrobe turned into a soap" service. Price is a consideration, eg would people here pay say a real-Mitsouko-infused soap for US$12?

(And to the chemist nerds - no need to tell me that soaps, bath gels etc usually uses a slightly different formulation of the perfume. I knew all that. Still, one cannot argue with one's nose when it comes to the final results eh?).
    That's fascinating Gourmand! I'd love Attrape Couer in a soap! Mmmmm

There are currently vintage Vol de Nuit soaps available on ebay too.

I love perfumed soaps and shower gels. I find that perfumed soaps, like scented candles actually can have short shelf lives if not stored properly. I've purchased scented candles and soaps from discounters and discovered that they have often lost their fragrance. I think that the oils in the candle and soaps dry out because they're not sealed in airtight packaging like a perfume is. Also, scented soaps often seem to have their fragrance layered on them, I often get the scent alternating, while washing, with a generic soap scent, and then after some more lathering/melting of the soap, the scent comes back again. Does anyone know if soaps are scented in layers?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th March 2010 at 01:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I would kill to have Mitsouko soap!

My soap has arrived and it's in perfect condition. Even though it's in the old black and white box, it looks brand new, so I imagine it was stored very well. It still smells great

i have some guerlain soaps, two pieces: one large habit rouge and a small one simply called iris.
    the habit rouge is really nice, but smells more like, well.. great smelling soap, than that its truly similar to habit rouge. i think this is from the eighties, maybe early nineties, and came in a plastic soap container in a carton box.
    the iris is much older.. i would say, sixties. it was wrapped in paper and foil, and sealed. it still smells very strong and its main note is orris root indeed. i wonder if they ever had a perfume with this name?

and i would love to make my own guerlain soap. this might a good way to spend some of that reformulated bottle of vetiver, since i have got some of the old stuff left. or perhaps i can make a shower gel. (i like it's scent and handfeel, but i don't like to have dry skin from using soap!)

Basenotes Institution

I just got a Mitsouko bar soap today, from a Basenotes angel. I can't wait to shower with it!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th June 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Guerlain soaps are excellent. Mitsouko soap is one of the best, enjoy!

The Guerlain body creams are wonderful. I have Mitsouko lotion, but I would LOVE to own the body cream. The Shalimar body cream smells more like the old Shalimar and I don't know why. Love the stuff...now I need to fight with you all on Ebay for soap!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just got a Mitsouko bar soap today, from a Basenotes angel. I can't wait to shower with it!
    So, tell us: did you try it yet?

Of the Guerlain soaps I've tried, I have to say that I like Shalimar the most; it smells wonderful.

I have a bottle of Shalimar Legere shower gel, and it is fantastic, very true to the scent itself. I am hoarding what I have left of it, though I know a gel probably degrades much faster than a bottle of perfume, so I should just use it and enjoy it.

I saw on Escentual that Shalimar Inital now comes as a showel gel.

I would love a reissue of the Mitsouko soap, and the world definitely needs a L'Heure Bleue soap. There is a L'Heure Bleue body lotion, has anyone tried that and can report on it?

I have several boxes of Mitsouko soaps - love them. I find it takes a few washes before they start releasing their scent properly though.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I have several boxes of Mitsouko soaps - love them. I find it takes a few washes before they start releasing their scent properly though.
    It is true that some soaps, especially if they are not very new, take some time to release their scent. There's sometimes a layer on top of the core of the soap that needs to wash off gradually. Sort of like a candy with a center filling to it. Some of my older Roger & Gallet soaps (such as the vintage-edition Bois de Santal) do this.

I used my very, very last bar of Guerlain Vetiver soap recently. It was poignant but so worth it - good to the last little bubble.

queen of the universe

Jicky soap—or—How to be Clean and Dirty at the Same Time
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    So, tell us: did you try it yet?

Of the Guerlain soaps I've tried, I have to say that I like Shalimar the most; it smells wonderful.
    Not yet.

I will soon.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle