Code of Conduct

Exclamation Kouros Reformulation - Blueish-Grey font vs Grey Matte font bottles..

Yes another Kouros reformulation thread.. Kouros fan/collector, was NOT a flanker..

Recently on holiday in Australia (and at a few dept stores in Hong Kong) I noticed bottles of Kouros with a font that's a slight lean towards a blueish-gray instead of the typical straight gray look. Its very noticeable as it caught my eye as being different from my old bottle back home.

Upon trying the juice it IS still Kouros but more flat and softer. Yes the uriney-urinal cake vibe is there but just toned down a couple steps.

I had a decant of the old bottle I have in my collection; compared the two on my left and right hand. The spray from the blueish font bottle faded to a whisper after about 6 hours while my old decant was still quite noticeable after that time.

My bottle has Oakmoss, Tressmoss and that 2YFO2-2 ingredient talked about on here; unfortunately I didn't know at the time the scientific names of Oak and Tree moss so I didn't notice if they where listed on the new box..

(Listed on my old box by their scientific names only)

I will try to pick up a new bottle if I can find one locally (no luck yet in Seattle) or when I fly to Tokyo in March so I can post pictures and a better review. I've seen it only in duty free stores as they probably go threw stock much faster? A few of the duty free stores and the dept stores in Hong Kong with the bottle had official YSL counters; def. not fakes.
    Last edited by valkriz; 12th February 2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Mistakes! EVERYWHERE

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Kouros Reformulation - Blueish-Grey font vs Grey Matte font bottles..

Quote Originally Posted by valkriz View Post
    Yes another Kouros reformulation thread.. Kouros fan/collector, was NOT a flanker..

Recently on holiday in Australia and at a few dept stores in Hong Kong I noticed bottles of Kouros with a font that's a slight lean towards a blueish-gray instead of the typical straight gray look. Its very noticeable as it caught my eye in a few of the duty-free stores as being different from my old bottle back home.

Upon trying the juice it IS still Kouros but more flat and softer. Yes the uriney-urinal cake vibe is there but just toned down a couple steps.

I had a decant of the old bottle I have in my collection; compared the two on my left and right hand. The spray from the blueish font bottle faded to a whisper after about 6 hours while my old decant was still quite noticeable after that time.

My bottle has Oakmoss and Tressmoss and that 2YFO2-2 ingredient but unfortunately I didn't know the scientific names of Oak and Tree moss at time time so I didn't notice them listed on the new box.

(Listed on my old box by their scientific names only)

I will try to pick up a new bottle if I can find one locally (no luck yet in Seattle) or when I fly to Tokyo in March to post pictures and a better review. I've seen it only in duty free stores as they probably go threw stock much faster. A few of the duty free stores and the dept stores in Hong Kong with the bottle had official YSL counters; def. not fakes.

You r so right ! The good Kouros is dead, the latest reformulation is just a shadow from the original...sadly, the same with Anteus / Chanel... bought the 2 last year and very disappointed :-(

Default Re: Kouros Reformulation - Blueish-Grey font vs Grey Matte font bottles..

i purchased my first bottle of kouros just before christmas its the bottle with the blue grey font.
    it still seems pretty strong stuff probly up with a*men projection and longevity wise
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

Default Re: Kouros Reformulation - Blueish-Grey font vs Grey Matte font bottles..

I managed to get a bottle of the old stuff recently. I've also got a sample from TPC of what I assume is the new stuff, since it's definitely different, with less civet and more citrus in the top notes, and overall, as the OP says, flatter and with less character; it's still good, but not what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this information and bad news. Sadly, I think this will lessen the intensity of future discussions here between Kouros likers and Kouros detesters. All those memorable discussions of the past will be rendered superfluous.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. One of my biggest gripes in those discussions was the supposed urine-urinal cake smell.
    It cannot be. The two smells are exact opposites of each other. It can be one or the other, but not both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    P.S. One of my biggest gripes in those discussions was the supposed urine-urinal cake smell.
    It cannot be. The two smells are exact opposites of each other. It can be one or the other, but not both.
    If one were to use a urinal and not flush after, you would get the smell of both. That's not to say that this is what I think Kouros smells like, but you can get smells of urine and urinal cakes at the same time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad I've got a bottle of the old stuff. I got 24 hours out of it - the dry down lasts absolutely forever on me.

Kouros is dead. Long live Kouros!

Seems to be another wink from YSL they reformulated by doing a slight repackaging.. Very similar to what has happened to M7..

I suspect they've tweaked it to appeal to my generation more while also getting rid of costly ingredients? Yes this softer Kouros defiently could lessen the hate/love gap.

Kouros is what my Dad wore when I was growing up; maybe considered child abuse to some now. Still it has nostalgia for me; ordered a very old screw top splash bottle to have around.

Sorry to interrupt the pity party before it really gets rolling, but this seems like rather specious evidence of a repackaging, if the only difference is the shade of grey in the font on the bottle. Hell, under the right lighting the Kouros bottle could look purple. Any difference in box style, ingredients list, placement of the text? I think we need more concrete proof here.

My bottle, for the record, has grey text. If I look at it under fluorescent light, the text is a little bluish. Under sunlight, though, it's a warmer slate grey. The juice is strong as an ox and a dazzling cornucopia of notes, nothing flat or subdued about it. See what I mean? It could be all a matter of perception.

subhuman85; I feel no pity for a fragrance or my self. This was not just one location I noticed the font change; multiple stores had them. Other duty free stores in the Perth airport had older style bottles with the original juice while some had the blueish font. Noticed this as well in Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong duty free stores.

Okay so maybe they all use the same type of lighting? And some appear blue at certain stores in the same complex.. That still does not dismiss that the juice in every single bottle with the more blue leaning font was more flat and not as rich of a scent.

I sprayed on my skin for a comparison and had tester strips from these bottles; same results. As I said I was carrying a decant of my bottle of Kouros from home on me, as its one of my favorite scents, to compare with. Also sprayed tester strips from older style bottles found at other stores in the SAME complex; same results it had more depth while the newer style font was more flat.

I am not saying its weak or not worthy of being Kouros. Its still a good fragrance reformulation version or not. I believe its possibly IFRA regulations catching up with Kouros or a tweak by YSL. Happens all the time with perfume; why is Kouros exempt..?

As I stated I intend on buying a bottle of the new stuff when I am able to find it next to provide a picture comparison. At the time I was not as informed and did not know the proper names of Oak and Tree moss specifically.

I see what your saying though I'm not able to prove any firm evidence besides a hear-say story no matter what I say. Rest assured Kouros is still a good fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Sorry to interrupt the pity party before it really gets rolling, but this seems like rather specious evidence of a repackaging, if the only difference is the shade of grey in the font on the bottle. Hell, under the right lighting the Kouros bottle could look purple. Any difference in box style, ingredients list, placement of the text? I think we need more concrete proof here.

My bottle, for the record, has grey text. If I look at it under fluorescent light, the text is a little bluish. Under sunlight, though, it's a warmer slate grey. The juice is strong as an ox and a dazzling cornucopia of notes, nothing flat or subdued about it. See what I mean? It could be all a matter of perception.
    There's some more detailed information on the differences in packaging, particularly the ingredients list, as well as the differences in the juice itself, in a post by tott in the following thread (his information enabled me to track down my vintage bottle):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249978-Vintage-Kouros