Code of Conduct

Question Atkinson's lavender / Royal Scottish Lavender Creed

Simple question about these two lavender fragrances: do they belong in the "lavender" family (if so, fresh or spicy?), or are they fougères (if so, fresh, floral, woody, sweet?)? I'm a long time user of both, and I still find it difficult to tell some lavenders and fougères apart.

Thanks.

Default Re: Atkinson's lavender / Royal Scottish Lavender Creed

They aren't really fougeres, they belong in the lavender category. It's more about how a scent is blended (formulated) than what the constituents are in finding the differences between fougere and lavender scents really. Even with a bit of coumarin in the base, the fougere accord is not present in either one of them... If you smell, for instance, English Fern, Azzaro or even Rive Gauch, even though each of these scents is very different from one another, you can still smell a definite accord they all share. It's a balance between lavender and coumarin. Neither Atkinson's or Royal Scottish Lavender use this accord. It's lavender, and then a bit of coumarin in the dry down, but not an actual accord of both at the outset. Another Lavender scent with a huge coumarin note in the dry down is Puig Agua Lavanda. It's got both lavender and coumarin, but it's not formulated to have the fougere accord.

For me, Royal Scottish Lavender is a pretty right on lavender.

Ok, thanks a lot to both for the explanations. I guess I'm not good at telling when coumarin is present in a sufficiently large amount to be part of the main accord, and when it is just a very minor note. I'll go now try and see if I can notice the difference, knowing what I have to look for.