Code of Conduct

Default Have Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme been repackaged?

I haven't posted on here in a while, but I just noticed these for sale on a website and I'd never seen them before and I'm curious:

http://www.parfum1.com/vetiver-guerl...p?itm=VETGTS33
    Guerlain Vetiver

http://www.parfum1.com/vetiver-extre...?itm=VETGXTS34
    Guerlain Vetiver Extreme

The bottles look like the older style bottles but the packaging looks like the newer style boxes. Does anyone know if they have been repackaged or is there something fishy going on?

Default Re: Have Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme been repackaged?

Wow. That's kind of a shocker. I wasn't a big fan of these bottles before, but then I came to really love them when I associated them with Habit Rouge. They're awesome bottles. However, the Vetiver bottles with the horizonal alternating bands are among my favorite bottles of all time. I'm kind of torn on this. I can't believe they'd go back to these bottles. The other ones were so beautiful; though on some level, I like these too.

Basenotes Institution

I have NEVER see those. I am surprised, like Indie, they'd revert back to those tall bottles.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Wow they went back to the original bottle both Vertiver and Habit Rouge can in the same bottle design - until 2000 when the created a diffrent bottle for Vetiver. I guess with cost cutting it makes sense to use on generic bottle .... men don't care about such things...

Blog Entries

If they really did change the bottles back to the old style, then I wonder if they changed the formula at all.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

God knows what reformulation happened this time...I hope they don't mess it up more and more.

Yes, it's reformulated. I did a side by side comparison yesterday with the penultimate version (there were so many reformulations it gets hard to keep track!) This latest reformulation smells 'wetter' and has a vegetal smell to it. It has taken away much of the citrus sparkle that used to make GV such an invigorating fragrance. The dry hay-like texture quality of the original has also disappeared. After sitting for an hour, the distinction becomes very evident. The original retains its bracing citrusy freshness while revealing its warmer woodsy undertones, the effect of which, is a lively contrast between freshness and warmth, harmony and disorder - this is what makes the modern GV intriguing to me. The vintage GV was beautiful for its sweet scent of earthy decay - peaceful and tranquil. I could appreciate the update, which, I thought, was a poetic in its own ways for oscillating between chaos and harmony, as our modern times often were. However, I cannot (at least for now) appreciate this latest update. It has evidently been stripped of most of the characterful notes in GV and had these gaps filled in with generic green notes (I suspect poor quality vetiver). Everytime I buy a Guerlain, I can tell they have changed their bergamot stock, and I get slightly disappointed. This time round, it hasn't only changed considerably (in terms of smell), but has also been added in much lesser quantities.
    However, the purported 'petrochemical' note in the GVs all these years has been removed in this version. It also loses its discordant nature (which might have pleased some and put some off). For these reasons, I think the latest GV might appeal to some people but leave many more displeased.

I'm going to check this immediately !!!!
    there are so many new things at Guerlain

Now, THAT was unexpected! Thanks for pointing this out. I just called the C-E boutique and got it confirmed that yes, Vetiver will from now on be sold in Robert Granais old oblong "Habit Rouge bottle" like it was 10 years ago. Not a bad idea. I guess that makes the ribbed bottle collectible then. I had come to love the ribbed bottle a lot.

Xen,
    Thank you for that report.
    By "penultimate version" do you mean before the box started having the vertical line at the top (but still with the ribbed bottle)? My current version is the latest (ribbed bottle and new box design with the vertical line going up from the G logo) and I remember the one before that ("penultimate" 1996?)was great, less bright at the top but the juice was oily; it was so rich.
    This is sad, I wonder what I'll have to deal with after I get to use the newest version...I'm tired of getting back up bottles for everything.

Basenotes Institution

Oh boy I need to smell this 'new' one.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Time to get back up bottles for the ribbed one....

I prefer the "new" bottle: it's more suitable for a fragrance like this.
    It's the same bottle as Habit Rouge, the other classic of the maison. Right choice from Guerlain!

I prefer the old bottles
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that I'm torn... The ribbed bottle is a fantastic example of beautiful packaging. I especially love that when you look at the bottle side-on, the ribbing is not symmetric from left to right. However, the classiness of the oblong bottles is undeniable. I really like older oblong bottles like older Givenchy Gentleman came in.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Upon inspection, it appears that the large size of the new bottles are 100 ml, not 125 as with the ribbed bottles. The retail price will be the same, but you get 80% of the juice. That is lame if you ask me.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Upon inspection, it appears that the large size of the new bottles are 100 ml, not 125 as with the ribbed bottles. The retail price will be the same, but you get 80% of the juice. That is lame if you ask me.
    i was thinking the same thing
    the prices are increasing...let's hope the quality also !

i'm also wondering if the all male's fragrances were going to be repackaged ?
    i saw that Spiritueuse now comes with the bottle of L'Art et la Matière line ...

Seems weird that Parfum1 would have these before anyone else - Guerlain's official website still shows the ribbed bottles.
    I, for one, am delighted by the "new" bottles. I thought the ribbed bottles looked too dated in the 90's.
    Has anyone else smelled the stuff inside yet?

Has anyone else compared these new versions yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Yes, it's reformulated. I did a side by side comparison yesterday with the penultimate version (there were so many reformulations it gets hard to keep track!) This latest reformulation smells 'wetter' and has a vegetal smell to it. It has taken away much of the citrus sparkle that used to make GV such an invigorating fragrance. The dry hay-like texture quality of the original has also disappeared. After sitting for an hour, the distinction becomes very evident. The original retains its bracing citrusy freshness while revealing its warmer woodsy undertones, the effect of which, is a lively contrast between freshness and warmth, harmony and disorder - this is what makes the modern GV intriguing to me. The vintage GV was beautiful for its sweet scent of earthy decay - peaceful and tranquil. I could appreciate the update, which, I thought, was a poetic in its own ways for oscillating between chaos and harmony, as our modern times often were. However, I cannot (at least for now) appreciate this latest update. It has evidently been stripped of most of the characterful notes in GV and had these gaps filled in with generic green notes (I suspect poor quality vetiver). Everytime I buy a Guerlain, I can tell they have changed their bergamot stock, and I get slightly disappointed. This time round, it hasn't only changed considerably (in terms of smell), but has also been added in much lesser quantities.
    However, the purported 'petrochemical' note in the GVs all these years has been removed in this version. It also loses its discordant nature (which might have pleased some and put some off). For these reasons, I think the latest GV might appeal to some people but leave many more displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Has anyone else compared these new versions yet?
    I tried. From the list of ingredients, if before "perfume" was after alchol, now it is also surpassed by water. In fact, it has somehow watered down. The overall effect in my opinion is not bad. Fresh touch stressed. But in fact I complained to their customer service because now I expect myself an EdP version as for Habit Rouge and Heritage. In my opinion, the citrus blast at the beginning of the precedent version was harsh and has been replaced, as also the nutmeg. all the "love or hate" aspects have been meliorated, but still They need to explain me:
    -the water added
    - the prices relatively higher.....

LVMH sucks.....
    Corrado Finardi

I`m feeling so lucky now after i bought the older package and older bottle version of vetiver guerlain. Last year it was very cheap here. I`m curious to try this new one and see if i`ll like it or not.
    About the Extreme version, has anyone tried it? It seems it wasn`t a loved version, and in this case a reformulation would improve it (although i`m not so sure that this would happen)

I was also wondering now if we`ll not see in the next months a repackaged and reformulated l'nstant pour homme too...

I checked fragrancenet to see if they still had the older extreme bottle, but now they only carry this new bottle.

dear all,
    after a contact with Guerlain, they told me
    "I inform you that the formula of VETIVER has not been modified. Formula loyalty is an essential principle of the Guerlain brand. It is the witness of the respect of quality, our clients and the deference due to the perfume-creator.

I find useful to give you information that can explain the fragrance evolution.
    The stock period of the products may vary, however the one of the maceration remains unchanged. Great fragrances, like great wine, are made of natural substances. They evaluate with the time.
    The product you recently bought has probably not the maturity you are used to have as it has been recently made".

this is a nice explication. If so, welcome new bottle!
    Corrado Finardi

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    And probably watered down and/or cheapened. I am not surprised at all by this latest turn of events...

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    i saw that Spiritueuse now comes with the bottle of L'Art et la Matière line ...
    Now, that's a very unpleasant surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado Finardi View Post
    dear all,
    after a contact with Guerlain, they told me
    "I inform you that the formula of VETIVER has not been modified. Formula loyalty is an essential principle of the Guerlain brand. It is the witness of the respect of quality, our clients and the deference due to the perfume-creator.

I find useful to give you information that can explain the fragrance evolution.
    The stock period of the products may vary, however the one of the maceration remains unchanged. Great fragrances, like great wine, are made of natural substances. They evaluate with the time.
    The product you recently bought has probably not the maturity you are used to have as it has been recently made".
    Yeah, right! And last night I went on a 'let's share everything' binge with Charlie Sheen, before sobering up and having an interesting discussion with Elvis Presley and Sigmund Freud...

With Guerlain, whenever there's a packaging change (bottle or box) there's almost always a reformulation.

Habit Rouge has also been reformulated. The font for 'Guerlain' on the bottle sticker is now cursive like the repackaged Vetiver. The new Habit Rouge smells thinner and sharper to me. (I own the previous 2 reformulations for both Habit Rouge and Vetiver)

<<I have the pleasure to inform you that VETIVER and VETIVER EXTREME have been recently repacked.
    Moreover, I confirm yout that ingredients have to be placed in order of quantity. >>

this the official statement from Guerlain Customer service. It means that if the recipe stay unchanged, the concentration has been watered down without any doubt.
    Corrado Finardi

Sneaky!
    Does it still say EdT - or is this now an EdC?

It means that if the recipe stay unchanged, the concentration has been watered down without any doubt.

I am looking for a new Vetiver. I was a fan of the very first version of Guerlain's but hated the subsequent reformulations.
    The new versions might appeal to me again (though I doubt it).

My question is: Is the new version/bottle out yet? If so, has anyone smelled it? If not, does anyone know when it will be out?

I like the older ribbed bottle.

As for Habit Rouge, the newer EDT with the silver cap has less citrus and more leather, to my nose.

The EDT in the gold cap seemed to have more citrus in the top notes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I like the older ribbed bottle.

As for Habit Rouge, the newer EDT with the silver cap has less citrus and more leather, to my nose.

The EDT in the gold cap seemed to have more citrus in the top notes.
    Primrose, can you post a pic of the Habit Rouge that you're talking about? An Habit Rouge with more leather and less citrus seems something that i'd love

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, Guerlain Vetiver has been repackaged. They decided to do away with the famous "ribbed" bottle. I wonder if I'd like the reformulation in the "new" old bottles better than the version in the ribbed. I wasn't crazy about that vetiver. Too much citrus, too much tobacco, the grass got a little washed out in the mix. Maybe this one is better.

Actually,

Habit Rouge has also had a facelift. The sides of the label on the bottle is now silver and the 200 ml square is no longer available. It now follows the same design as the 100 and 50 ml bottles in a splash. I hope this doesn't mean the formula has been watered down yet again!!!

Based on a side to side comparison with the boddle I just purchased I can assure you that IMHO the formula has not been changed. Slight differences some users may have noticed may be due to batch quality variations. Which is a pity. I had hopes that along with the old boddle they would reintroduce the old formula (pre 2000).
    Last edited by Ender; 29th March 2011 at 06:06 PM.

[Update]

The new one is super charged with a lot more vetiver. I compared them both side by side and the tobacco on the ribbed bottle version is a lot stronger.

The new one smells kinda like Tom Ford Grey Vetiver now. I think i like this one better :P
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Anyone have any idea how the 'new' version compares with Givenchy Mythique ?

As a new guy take this with a grain of salt. This is the only frag I've bought blind that I not only detest, I despise it. I got it mainly because of the hype and after all 'Hey Kennedy wore it'. The store only had one bottle left on the shelf and it was a sealed quart sized version. So she raked me over the coals on it. I got this stuff home opened the box and it was the ribbed bottle. So expecting it to be even better than Thierry Mugler I gave each wrist a good shot on each and let it evaporate before giving it a sniff. I can only tell you it really brought tears to my eyes and NOT in a good way either. I should have stopped reading at the Creed story that it was their version of vetiver that Kennedy wore. I figured that since summer was coming I could always use this to fool the mrs. pay the kid down the street to cut the lawn, spray some of this on while I listened to the ball game and drank beers. Nothing doin, this stuff won't even come off with gojo orange and everyone knows that stuff takes the hair off superman. So my only option now is to hold on to it in case we get invaded and use the stuff in chemical WARFARE. Perhaps the poster above is correct in that the people mixing the formulation varied the quantities I know that some of the Chinese have a problem with their Engrich... perhaps they have the same problem with their French conversions too.

Quote Originally Posted by hey.its.me View Post
    nothing doin, this stuff won't even come off with gojo orange and everyone knows that stuff takes the hair off superman.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    As a new guy take this with a grain of salt. This is the only frag I've bought blind that I not only detest, I despise it. I got it mainly because of the hype and after all 'Hey Kennedy wore it'. The store only had one bottle left on the shelf and it was a sealed quart sized version. So she raked me over the coals on it. I got this stuff home opened the box and it was the ribbed bottle. So expecting it to be even better than Thierry Mugler I gave each wrist a good shot on each and let it evaporate before giving it a sniff. I can only tell you it really brought tears to my eyes and NOT in a good way either. I should have stopped reading at the Creed story that it was their version of vetiver that Kennedy wore. I figured that since summer was coming I could always use this to fool the mrs. pay the kid down the street to cut the lawn, spray some of this on while I listened to the ball game and drank beers. Nothing doin, this stuff won't even come off with gojo orange and everyone knows that stuff takes the hair off superman. So my only option now is to hold on to it in case we get invaded and use the stuff in chemical WARFARE. Perhaps the poster above is correct in that the people mixing the formulation varied the quantities I know that some of the Chinese have a problem with their Engrich... perhaps they have the same problem with their French conversions too.
    1. Proper English please. Chemical "WARFARE" because of a perfectly safe and not too loud perfume ? Psstt. Go back to school, big lowclass boy.

2. Im not Chinese, but the "Engrich" part is uncalled for, stupid trash.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Relax, take a deep breath you'll be fine tomorrow trust me. ;o)

The scent is definately different to the vintage but I attribute that to age.
    BTW Hey.its.me, being a mature retired man, I think you should go take some english classes at night school in your spare time as your grammer is absolutely atrocious. Run your future posts through your computer's spellcheck next time! This is coming from someone whose 1st language isn't even english!

Hey.it's.me, you might take another shot at the Guerlain Vetiver. I know it took a while to grow on me, and I've also noticed that the first few sprays out of a new bottle don't always represent how the fragrance really smells. The ribbed bottle Guerlain Vetiver is a classic scent, and I bet if you give it another chance you'll end up enjoying it.

I tried the 2 "new" Vetivers yesterday but couldn't really tell the difference. The "normal" Vetiver seemed a bit smoother to me whereas the "Vetiver Extreme" seemed more straightforward and drier.

Can anyone corroborate OR contradict these impressions of mine and elucidate me?

I think the deodorant stick was also changed

http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/v...0206304/162624

I think they no longer make 4.2 size. I was about to buy this 3.4 size but changed my mind at the last minute. Will have to go for it. I like this bottle more than the 2000 version.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

This is a huge shame, I loved the ribbed bottle! classy and unique. The "new old" bottle looks cheap, generic and uninspired

does it smell so different from old package? i found vetiver in a good price here but its that new bottle.

I prefer the new bottle. I always though the ribbed on looked kind of ugly. But then I usually prefer simple bottles, no frills.

Quote Originally Posted by denondj View Post
    does it smell so different from old package? i found vetiver in a good price here but its that new bottle.

aFTER THE "TEST OF TIME":
    I have to admit I WAS TOTALLY WRONG. guerlain has by far IMPROVED ITS VETIVER.
    The new version is far better than the old one. I have 3 bottles (1 new, and 2 old-ribbed bottle). After many and many TESTING-times, I can assure that the new version has an higher overall quality and concentration.
    Explication?
    In fact, it is common at Guerlain to have EDP versions with more water than the EDT versions (consider also Heritage). This means they list water as third element in EDT BUT second in EDP.
    new Vetiver is more long lasting than the previous, which was probably the "missing link" btween the traditional , old EDC and the new one, which in fact is more an EDP version (I have also Habit Rouge EDP, and believe me, vetiver edt lasts far longer).
    HENCE, I bluntly admit that Terry Wasser is RIGHT when complaining about stupid blogger as me that sometime mover useless criticisms. However, the web allow for corrections. Here I am.
    More transparency by producers however should be desirable, explaining better the new releases and the rationale and choices behind. Often the lack of such a transparency allow us to think bad things. Sometime they are right sometime wrong. In case of Guerlain, nice discover.
    ps as a side note, I tested recently the new Eau pour Homme of Armani. Being skeptical at the beginning, for the "reformulation fear", I was pleased to learn that this new version is..... the same, minor a invisible part of clove which is presently out of time. The bergamot accord is apparently also brighter. I have to say,a after a side by side comparison that the winner is... the new one.
    Corrado Finardi

aFTER THE "TEST OF TIME":
    I have to admit I WAS TOTALLY WRONG. guerlain has by far IMPROVED ITS VETIVER.
    The new version is far better than the old one. I have 3 bottles (1 new, and 2 old-ribbed bottle). After many and many TESTING-times, I can assure that the new version has an higher overall quality and concentration.
    Explication?
    In fact, it is common at Guerlain to have EDP versions with more water than the EDT versions (consider also Heritage). This means they list water as third element in EDT BUT second in EDP.
    new Vetiver is more long lasting than the previous, which was probably the "missing link" btween the traditional , old EDC and the new one, which in fact is more an EDP version (I have also Habit Rouge EDP, and believe me, vetiver edt lasts far longer).
    HENCE, I bluntly admit that Terry Wasser is RIGHT when complaining about stupid blogger as me that sometime mover useless criticisms. However, the web allow for corrections. Here I am.
    More transparency by producers however should be desirable, explaining better the new releases and the rationale and choices behind. Often the lack of such a transparency allow us to think bad things. Sometime they are right sometime wrong. In case of Guerlain, nice discover.
    ps as a side note, I tested recently the new Eau pour Homme of Armani. Being skeptical at the beginning, for the "reformulation fear", I was pleased to learn that this new version is..... the same, minor a invisible part of clove which is presently out of time. The bergamot accord is apparently also brighter. I have to say,a after a side by side comparison that the winner is... the new one.
    Interesting...

A fellow BN recently commented that Guerlain EDTs are being sold at a higher price point than their EDPs, at the odd London department store. WTF?!!!

Vetiver has been re bottled for at least 2 years (pic above). IMO it is a softer juice than what was in the Vetiver 2000 bottle. I prefer the original but 2000 wasn't bad. The juice in the new bottle is so far from the original vetiver that I know and loved.

I want to invest in a Guerlain Vetiver, but dont know which one? How does the 125 ml Vetiver extreme compare with the new 100 ml vetiver extreme? Should I just stick to the new 100 ml Guerlain Vetiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    God knows what reformulation happened this time...I hope they don't mess it up more and more.
    This.

anyone has both ?