Code of Conduct

Default Help with choosing a cologne (high school)

Hey, I'm kind of new to this fragrance thing. I'm looking for a fragrance for cool weather and one for the summer. I don't really like spicy or leathery smells. I'm a guy and in high school. Just as background, this is what I have:

Aeropostale - A87 (smells like cleaning liquids)
    Burberry - Brit (smells too spicy and strong)
    Kenneth Cole - Black (smells good on paper, but like burnt rubber on my skin)
    Giorgio Armani - Acqua Di Gio (smelled a lot better in the summer, now smells like sour lemon cookies, so maybe it'll smell better in the summer)

I have samples of:

Armani Code (smells like playdoh on my skin)
    Versace Pour Homme (Smells sour, then sweet out of nowhere after like 6 hours)
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche (Smells girly / bubblegum?)
    YSL L'Homme (To me, it smells like old women or spicy ginger?)
    Givenchy Play (Smells like Hollister, but a little better, but I don't like that smell too much)
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Smells like really strong lemon spray, I'm guessing the guy gave me the yellow bottle version because the silver bottle one smelled nice on paper)

Um, my friend has the Bleu de Chanel but that smells ok. I liked the smell of Givenchy Pi Neo on paper, and Diesel Fuel for Life smelled good on a friend. Yeah, so I don't know a lot about fragrances, but I'm looking for something fresh that gets compliments, one that would work in cool weather and one for summer weather. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with choosing a cologne (high school)

Welcome, Avangarde.

For colder weather/all seasons, I'd suggest Gucci Pour Homme II or Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. Both can be found at TJ Maxx/Marshall's on discount.

For summer I highly recommend Eau de Rochas Homme and Eau Maximum by Nickel. Again, both can be had for good prices - the Rochas is cheap at parfum1.com, and Eau Maximum can be found for $7 at TJ Maxx/Marshall's.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Bleu De Chanel

You seem to have developed already a very good nose! you're getting right to the problem with the fragrances you mention. (I don't care too much for them either).

For the summer, try Breath of God (available at Lush stores, also in stick form). It is an avant garde vetiver, so that fits your name quite well. I would otherwise direct you to less avant garde vetivers, but other good ones are quite expensive (eg Chanel Sycomore).

For the winter, in addition to some already mentioned, I would try Eau Sauvage (it works for the summer too) or Dior Homme. And Caron Troisieme Homme if you can find it (but it's hard to find).

cacio

Ice*Men
    -- fresh scent that works well in the cold weather.

Bvlgari Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bleu De Chanel
    I agree. I love this scent. Versatile, all-season, and my wife loves it, too.

My son likes Boss Pure. You might find it sour, but I think you'll like it, too.

You might also try 1 Million - might be your style if you like Fuel for Life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Bvlgari Man
    YES. Great new scent.

Try Mugler Cologne for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    Welcome, Avangarde.

For colder weather/all seasons, I'd suggest Gucci Pour Homme II or Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin. Both can be found at TJ Maxx/Marshall's on discount.

For summer I highly recommend Eau de Rochas Homme and Eau Maximum by Nickel. Again, both can be had for good prices - the Rochas is cheap at parfum1.com, and Eau Maximum can be found for $7 at TJ Maxx/Marshall's.
    If I don't like licorice at all, would lolita be a turnoff? Also, I looked up Eau de Rochas Homme and it says it was made in 1993, so would that affect how a high schooler now would enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    You seem to have developed already a very good nose! you're getting right to the problem with the fragrances you mention. (I don't care too much for them either).

For the summer, try Breath of God (available at Lush stores, also in stick form). It is an avant garde vetiver, so that fits your name quite well. I would otherwise direct you to less avant garde vetivers, but other good ones are quite expensive (eg Chanel Sycomore).

For the winter, in addition to some already mentioned, I would try Eau Sauvage (it works for the summer too) or Dior Homme. And Caron Troisieme Homme if you can find it (but it's hard to find).

cacio
    Haha thanks. Is breath of god for women...?

Vetivers, including Breath of God, are usually thought of as (very) masculine. Nothing prevents women from using them, of course.

If you hang around this forum long enough, you'll see that most people disregard male/female classifications of perfumes - it's only about I like it/I don't like it.

cacio

Some great suggestions here (though I despise BOG). I would add Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo to your "to try" list. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I agree. I love this scent. Versatile, all-season, and my wife loves it, too.

My son likes Boss Pure. You might find it sour, but I think you'll like it, too.

You might also try 1 Million - might be your style if you like Fuel for Life.
    My friend has bleu de chanel and it smells pretty nice, but there's something in it that I don't like when I spray it on my skin...I have no idea what it is. Also, I sprayed 1 million on a test strip and I really did not like that, so I'm not sure how it'll smell on my skin.

Vetivers, including Breath of God, are usually thought of as (very) masculine. Nothing prevents women from using them, of course.

If you hang around this forum long enough, you'll see that most people disregard male/female classifications of perfumes - it's only about I like it/I don't like it.

cacio
    Oh I see. Ok then I'll definitely give that a try. Ok this might be a dumb question, but what does vetiver smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by Avangarde View Post
    If I don't like licorice at all, would lolita be a turnoff? Also, I looked up Eau de Rochas Homme and it says it was made in 1993, so would that affect how a high schooler now would enjoy it?

Haha thanks. Is breath of god for women...?
    Make sure you look up Rochas Homme - it's different from the "eau de" that you found. Rochas Homme is a great scent with some similarities to Bond New Haarlem, but can be found for about $25 at mall discounters.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

For High School... Diesel Only The Brave, Go Ed Hardy Love & Luck Men, Chrome, Polo Double Black or Bvlgari AQVA pour Homme Marine. The thing about High School, you want a light fresh scent that attracts young women but does not offend your classmates with an overpowering scent that projects. The worse thing you want is an overpowering scent causing people to sneeze in class.. Grab a light and fresh scent. From looking at your list above it looks like you dislikes dark spice/leather scents and real sweet scents... Sample the above scents, and also test out Prada Amber Pour Homme (soapy light scent), you may like it. Can all be found at Sephora.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 17th February 2011 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Make sure you look up Rochas Homme - it's different from the "eau de" that you found. Rochas Homme is a great scent with some similarities to Bond New Haarlem, but can be found for about $25 at mall discounters.
    Umm is that the white cone shaped one? The cloest that I could find was Rochas Man? If that's the one

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    For High School... Diesel Only The Brave, Go Ed Hardy Love & Luck Men, Chrome, Polo Double Black or Bvlgari AQVA pour Homme Marine. The thing about High School, you want a light fresh scent that attracts young women but does not offend your classmates with an overpowering scent that projects. The worse thing you want is an overpowering scent causing people to sneeze in class.. Grab a light and fresh scent. From looking at your list above it looks like you dislikes dark spice/leather scents and real sweet scents... Sample the above scents, and also test out Prada Amber Pour Homme (soapy light scent), you may like it. Can all be found at Sephora.
    Thanks for the suggestions! It says that Only The Brave has a leather note...and I'm not really a fan of leather, so I don't know if I'll like that. Chrome smells really fresh, but I know a few people with that already, so do you know of anything that smells similar to chrome?

Abercrombie Fierce, uncomplicated fresh

Dolce&Gabbana pour homme, or any of their newer ones (all are relatively uncomlicated with that masculine factor

Diesel Fuel for life

and also check out Gucci Guilty pour homme (it's their new one, smells fresh citrusy and light)
    Last edited by perfectscent; 18th February 2011 at 02:27 AM.

A great choice particularly for summer would be Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta...it's not cheap, but you didn't say what your price range was...if you can afford it, I think you'll be pleased with it. It is class in a bottle, and you will likely be the only guy in school wearing it.

You might try some of the Joop! fragrances. Basenotes has a love-hate relationship with them but most of them are inexpensive, nice smelling, and they will get you through an entire day of classes without quitting. Chanel Allure, Egoiste, Egoiste Platinum (if you can't find regular Egoiste) and Pour Monsieur would also be safe bets. You might really enjoy Egoiste Platinum if you like lighter, fresher scents. It has an intriguing root-beer quality to it.

It looks like no one addressed your question about vetiver - vetiver has an extremely distinctive scent that's difficult to compare to anything else. It's an oily, grassy smell. I suspect that it would not be too much of a hit with high school students - it's not instantly "nice" smelling.

To add to what gilgamesh was saying about vetiver, vetiver is used for fresh, durable perfumes, often for hot, humid weather. It is very fresh, slightly bitter, and a little green/grassy. Some vetivers tend toward sharper, cleaner, almost artificial-smelling profiles (and are in fact used in some "sport" stuff), other vetivers tend towards a more vegetal, almost rooty quality.

The most widely available vetiver is Guerlain vetiver, which you can probably find at most Sephoras or mid to up market department stores. Mentally subtract the citrus from it and you can have an idea of vetiver. (Breath of God, as said, is a different thing because the vetiver is overlaid with other notes that both potentiate it and make it weird and futuristic).

I disagree with gilgamesh's statement about vetiver's reception in high school. Vetivers can be quite fresh and immediately pleasing. But then, I've been out of high school for more than 20 years, and it was on the other side of the ocean. I'm not au courant with the high school crowd.

More importantly, you seem to have good taste in perfumes, so you should set the fashion, not merely follow it. Find what you like and wear it with confidence.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    Abercrombie Fierce, uncomplicated fresh

Dolce&Gabbana pour homme, or any of their newer ones (all are relatively uncomlicated with that masculine factor

Diesel Fuel for life

and also check out Gucci Guilty pour homme (it's their new one, smells fresh citrusy and light)
    Yeah, I don't really dig the whole Fierce thing. I never liked the smell or the popularity. I'm gonna check out Fuel for life. And I don't think the Gucci Guilty came out for men yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    A great choice particularly for summer would be Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta...it's not cheap, but you didn't say what your price range was...if you can afford it, I think you'll be pleased with it. It is class in a bottle, and you will likely be the only guy in school wearing it.
    Can I find that at a Macy's/Sephora? Cuz then I'll definitely check it out. And I don't really have a lot of cash, max I'd spend on one fragrance would be like $45, if I get it online.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003 View Post
    You might try some of the Joop! fragrances. Basenotes has a love-hate relationship with them but most of them are inexpensive, nice smelling, and they will get you through an entire day of classes without quitting. Chanel Allure, Egoiste, Egoiste Platinum (if you can't find regular Egoiste) and Pour Monsieur would also be safe bets. You might really enjoy Egoiste Platinum if you like lighter, fresher scents. It has an intriguing root-beer quality to it.

It looks like no one addressed your question about vetiver - vetiver has an extremely distinctive scent that's difficult to compare to anything else. It's an oily, grassy smell. I suspect that it would not be too much of a hit with high school students - it's not instantly "nice" smelling.
    Alright, thanks for the info

To add to what gilgamesh was saying about vetiver, vetiver is used for fresh, durable perfumes, often for hot, humid weather. It is very fresh, slightly bitter, and a little green/grassy. Some vetivers tend toward sharper, cleaner, almost artificial-smelling profiles (and are in fact used in some "sport" stuff), other vetivers tend towards a more vegetal, almost rooty quality.

The most widely available vetiver is Guerlain vetiver, which you can probably find at most Sephoras or mid to up market department stores. Mentally subtract the citrus from it and you can have an idea of vetiver. (Breath of God, as said, is a different thing because the vetiver is overlaid with other notes that both potentiate it and make it weird and futuristic).

I disagree with gilgamesh's statement about vetiver's reception in high school. Vetivers can be quite fresh and immediately pleasing. But then, I've been out of high school for more than 20 years, and it was on the other side of the ocean. I'm not au courant with the high school crowd.

More importantly, you seem to have good taste in perfumes, so you should set the fashion, not merely follow it. Find what you like and wear it with confidence.

cacio
    Thanks for your opinion I'll go check out Guerlain vetiver

Welcome, Avangarde.

My word of advice is to avoid anything sold in any young people's boutique. You will be wearing the same scent worn by literally tens of thousands of young men. I also advise against anything heavily marketed at department stores.

Try something like Guerlain Vetiver or Habit Rouge. Both are eau de toilettes and bound not to be worn by young men your age. They can also be bought at discounters.

These are both fresh and pleasant, with Vetiver having a note of tobacco and Habit Rouge has a touch of vanilla and leather.

Leave the likes of those "fresh" citruses alone--they are a dime a dozen.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Welcome Avangarde,

Check out Bvlgari Aqva. Its great year round.

Banned

Go to a local frag shop like sephora and smell a lot of different ones. Only YOU can pick frags that you like, but for high school, i can suggest:
    polo's big pony collection
    vintage by varvatos
    A&F Fierce (girls go crazy for this stuff)
    la nuit de l'homme
    le male
    D&G The One
    Diesel fuel for life
    Versace pour homme
    Euphoria intense

You can find it at Sephora, but it's about $80-85...keep it in mind for future purchasing or request it as a birthday/Christmas gift...in the meantime, check out a sample...Neiman Marcus carries it, but I'm not sure about Macy's.

Can I find that at a Macy's/Sephora? Cuz then I'll definitely check it out. And I don't really have a lot of cash, max I'd spend on one fragrance would be like $45, if I get it online.

Alright, thanks for the info

Thanks for your opinion I'll go check out Guerlain vetiver[/QUOTE]

Vetiver to me is a bracing scent...it has a grassy sharpness and some remind me of grapefruit...if you were to find a comparable varietal in wine, it would be sauvignon blanc. It's definitely not a scent for everyone, but for me it works best in the summer months.

Yeah, I don't really dig the whole Fierce thing. I never liked the smell or the popularity. I'm gonna check out Fuel for life. And I don't think the Gucci Guilty came out for men yet, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Gucci Guilty PH is out here in Europe, I had a chance to sample it, it smells fresh citrussy light with some fruit note to it like apples and a note of cedar. Like I said it is light and inoffensive but different and masculine at the same time. I like the flask bottle.

I suggest you give Only the Brave by Diesel a try also it smells like lemonade, really, leather is not that prominent.

If you feel like trying some of the classics I would suggest you stick to the lighter ones like
    Creed Original Vetiver (soapy take on lemon/lime/vetiver and musks) and
    YSL Live Jazz (lemon/mint/celery)

Blog Entries

Eau de Rochas Homme is timeless - around 1993 is really when fragrances started smelling "modern", anyway, considering Acqua di Gio and Issey came out within 2 years.

If you don't like licorice, then Lolita Lempicka would be a turn off, most likely. The Lolita is more anise-based than anything, though, so I'd still sample it.

Dune for Men by Christian Dior is also an excellent fragrance for a high-schooler.

Also try Terre d'Hermes and Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermés (if you can find samples).
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Umm is that the white cone shaped one? The cloest that I could find was Rochas Man? If that's the one
    Sorry, yep - that's the one! It's the cone shaped one. I used to have it and really enjoyed it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thanks for the suggestions guys! So I'm adding Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Fuel For Life, Dune, Only The Brave, Eau De Rochas Homme, and Rochas Man to my list to try.

Also, my sister got me a random sample from Sephora...Hanae Mori pour homme? It smells like the perfumes (lady stuff) you find in magazines...and old ladies haha, sorry if that offends anyone. HM was the only thing I could find online, and I'm not smelling any chocolate or vanilla...