Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help finding that elusive "sexy" scent.

Obviously this is a topic which has been done to the death and then some, but I'm still trying to hone in on that elusive "sexy" go to scent (read: Holy Grail!). I've searched BN very extensively (including the "Which scent gets the most compliments" thread) and slowly but surely I've been sampling/buying a lot of scents, yet not quite finding what I want.

I'll go through my wardrobe/samples and then perhaps somebody could point out what I'm yet to try and what I could be looking for:

Dolce and Gabbana PH: This one is by far the most consistent "go to" fragrance in my collection. Fortunately only Light Blue is available where I live, so nobody wears it. This is my favorite as far as masculine "sexy" goes. I love the dark/yet bright complex nature, as well as the tobacco base. It ticks all the right boxes, but I'd be open to trying something which is "better", although in the same ball park.

Musc Ravaguer: Gorgeous scent, ticks a lot of boxes as to what I'm looking for, but it's more sweet and sensual, than outright sexy IMO once it dries down, which is a shame. Something a bit more carnal and slightly manly, built on this would be a winner.

MKK: This was my first and only from Serge Lutens and it's a very attractive scent once it dries down. Although I find this is more of a skin scent on me, which should be reserved for intimate moments, since it doesn't really project that well on myself and dries down to something quite light. I do enjoy layering it though.

Green Irish Tweed: This is not something I would normally buy for myself, since I'm not a fan of "green" fragrances. After receiving this as a gift though, I fell in love, sexy in its own right. I love the rich spicy cream opening/dry down. One for the arsenal for sure, very regal and sophisticated, but more of a first dater, rather than a closer

YSL M7: I bought this one duty free on a whim, more in part to it's rarity. I love the medicinal cherry opening and find it very sensual and appealing. In many ways it's close to what I'm looking for, but for some reason this one ends up very powdery on me. I've had multiple friends and women tell me that it smells like a women's perfume on me. Almost! But not quite! Damn!

Chanel Allure: This was my signature scent for years, I find it rather sexy and sophisticated. Yet a little safe in a "jack of all trades" manner.

Le Male: I wore this a lot in my younger years, it was great at the time, but it's not quite my cup of tea anymore. I still appreciate it and wear it on occasion (day time only), but I still find it overly sweet and overdone.

Black Orchid:I blind bought this one years ago when it first came out. I love the dark complex opening and the colors it evokes. But I've been told by women who I was cozying up to, to "wash it off" since it was way too feminine and not attractive.

C&S No.88: I really wanted this one to be "it". I love the dark regal mysterious aura of it all. Very complex and unique, but it does end up smelling rather musty and teetering on feminine after awhile. I've never had a compliment on it and always end up being told I smell like a "Church" or "Temple".

A-men: Again I love the dark complex unique opening (I keep saying dark and complex!) but no matter how many times I try to wear and like this, there is something not quite right. I believe it's the potent middle tar note.

Pure Malt: I sampled this one at an airport. Quite pleasant, but smelt like a tamer A-men dry down with a cherry note. Nice scent, but not ground breaking or unique enough to buy.

So in closing what should I be looking at? I'm very interested to sample:

Santal Noble
    SR Chergui and Ambre Sultan
    Andy Tauer LM

Since based on the descriptions and reviews these could be the elusive scents which I'm craving. Any other suggestions?

I think the superlatives which describe what I'm after are: Dark, Spicy, Complex, strong projection, unusual, classy and sophisticated, sexy and sensual. Not overly masculine, yet not quite unisex. Mild sweetness, preferably with leather and mild tobacco accords. Almost like a cross between the sexiness of D&G PH with the dangerous/animalic/sensualness of MKK and MR and finally the regal sophistication of GIT
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 14th February 2011 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: Help finding that elusive "sexy" scent.

Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Black Aoud by Montale

Sur la Plage

Le Labo Rose 31
    MFK Absolue pour le Soir
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Black Aoud by Montale
    I didn't care for Black Oud. I obtained a sample from Lucky Scent, it's a much too overwhelming smell for my taste.

Not what I was expecting from the title of the post.
    Pleasantly surprised because you have obviously started doing your home work (bloody good read).
    You might like to keep going with S.Lutens towards animalistic / civet style scent Turc Fumer etc..and revisit Frederic Malle with Carnal Flower, Epice Noir etc.. other offerings or try kilians "Heavens"'s (Straight Too or a Taste Of) but going by the comments it might be seen on the femmine side for your companions taste. I am sure Joe and the other veterans here will come up with some suggestions that could help you more then I can. Going to follow this thread with interest - thank you.

Divine L`homme Sage is what you`r looking for!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Rose 31 is quality stuff... but I think you should seek Mark Birley Charles Street.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Opium pour homme - ideally in the EDP, but the EDT is very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Opium pour homme - ideally in the EDP, but the EDT is very, very good.
    I tried that one at the time of buying M7. It was unusual and interesting, but had a certain "zing" which was a little too much for me. Good stuff indeed though.

Blog Entries

Yeah, very good specification of what you are after and I think the Rose 31 is spot on.
    Ambre Sultan would have been my general rec, seeing you already have it on your list I can skip over that.
    Last that comes to mind immediately is Jubilation XXV by Amouage : Slightly sweet, resinous, frutiy, incense, certainly sophisticated and alluring (to my nose )
    Smellin good

Black Aoud

Perhaps Body Kouros deserves a try?

Inexpensive and very sexy: Ungaro III
    It is dark, sensual and very sophisticated. Don't be fooled by its price.

I think MFK Absolue pour le Soir and Le Labo Rose 31 are on the to try list, based on the descriptions!

MFK Absolue pour le Soir
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

My suggestion to you would be Fahrenheit Absolute.

I think CK euphoria intense and body Kouros fit the bill perfectly.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

It really depends on what notes women find sexy on a man.
    I'd pick MFK Lumiere Noire pour Homme over Le Labo's Rose 31 but today I got a compliment by a pretty young lady for wearing Roadster by Cartier.

Rose 31 is great, perfect for all seasons and times of day, although I've never gotten a compliment when wearing it. Doesn't smell much like rose - the name is misleading.

Aventus and Rive Gauche have gotten me more compliments than anything else I wear.

L'Hombre Fauve is also really sexy.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=34520
    Last edited by adonis; 14th February 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I got a compliment by a pretty young lady for wearing Roadster by Cartier.
    It wasn't from a pretty young lady, but I got one too today from wearing Roadster. Funny, because I dismissed it when I first tried it and almost swaped it off. Total 180 with this one for me. Now it is one of my favs.

tobacco vanille is sexy in my opinion

For exclusive Sexy scents check out a Saks 5th avenue store and sample the Kilian scents. Kilian Cruel Intentions is quite nice and high class, and you will probably never run across any guy wearing it. Check out Saks, they will throw you samples of each Kilian scent. I have been wow'd by some of their scents, and you can only find it at Sak's and online I believe. They have some extremely interesting scents that you will not find from a Chanel, YSL, Bond, Creed etc. line. Nothing will resemble it.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 15th February 2011 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I think MFK Absolue pour le Soir and Le Labo Rose 31 are on the to try list, based on the descriptions!
    I'm thinking they might be worth a shot for you - Personally I'm waiting on a sample of the MFK and a decant of Rose 31. I'm thinking the Rose 31 will be what I use when the weather gets a bit warmer, and I put musc Ravaguer away. I also really like the Divine l'homme Sage recomendation, although for me that is more of a skin scent, so more for someone you are already romantic with vs. attracing sex.

If I could throw one into the mix that might be a risk - Mazzolari Lui. Might be to overtly masculine, but I find it much more refined that say MKK. The kind of scent that while it might not be for every woman, would REALLY work with the right ones.

Kouros

MFK Cologne Poir Le Soir
    CDG Guerilla 1
    Kilian Incense Oud
    MFK Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
    Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    A*Men
    Voyage d'Hermes
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Polo #2 Sensual
    Bond No 9 Signature Perfume Oud

I used to have Musc Ravaguer and Back to Black on my sexy/sensual list, but as interesting/unique as they are, they just don't seem to wear that well on me past the first half hour or so.

Also to get the 'bad' note out of A*MEN, apply it first to a piece of tissue or blotter paper (like Boscia makes) and then rub THAT on your skin. The fragrance wears better and not so cloying/annoying applying it this way.

PG L'Ombre Fauve should be on your must try. It has an "animal fur" note that makes it very unique.

I hear Nasomatto Duro is quite sexy.

Any more suggestions?

Ungaro II-this one might cover your expectations
    Currently wearing: Versus Uomo by Versace

Quote Originally Posted by pirop View Post
    Ungaro II-this one might cover your expectations
    It's discontinued correct? I like the sound of it, may have to track down a bottle.