Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Lauren

YSl easy, chanel is over priced for their crap juice

Default Re: Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Lauren

In my opinion, these three houses have a fairly equal amount of quality male fragrances and I would also add another classic French house: Guerlain, as in spite of various ups and downs, has put forward a pretty constant ratio of quality male frags

I'd say Chanel or Dior because I find YSL too mature for my likings.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

chanel first
    ysl after

My vote goes to YSL!!!
    Gary

Ysl.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Imo the Aramis line should have been included.
    +1.
    Of the houses listed, I choose YSL.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Think Hermes deserves to be in consideration, too, even if it doesn't top YSL. I'd rank them YSL, Dior/Hermes tied, then Chanel, then Cartier a few notches down.

Also, Caron and Guerlain rival anything...but I suppose they aren't technically designers (not sure if you intended to focus on fashion designers here). I tend to lump them in with designers, since many of their scents are at the same price point.
    Yeah, Hermes has quite an impressive line. My favorite non-niche house. Of the listed ones, I'd say all are clearly more competent/qualitatively better than designer houses, with Cartier like you said still being above the mob, but still behind Dior, Chanel, and YSL. Shouts to Gaultier and Mugler for doing Daring stuff, but qualitatively they're still part of the fray.

If I had to choose one of those listed by the OP, on the basis of strictly their masculines, it'd be YSL.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Well me personally - i cant answer this question the way you want it to be answered, because i am a very firm believer in the notion that fragrances do not have genders. That being said Guerlain has the most male FRIENDLY scents followed very closely by Chanel. Unles you count the exclusive line of both these houses, in which case reverse the order.

YSL is the king.

Ysl

I appreciate that YSL's offerings become reasonably priced after a period of time. Its great that you can get a quality fragrance for $25, Its very close, but I would give my personal preference to Dior - more fragrances by them that I enjoy.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel! Edit: 2015... I've given up and given in
    Want to buy or swap: A*men Ultra Zest, Bentley Intense, Mont Blanc Legend Intense, Paco Rabanne Invictus,

Chanel

YSL
    Chanel
    Dior

Banned
    Blog Entries

yves saint laurent for creativity
    chanel for wearability
    dior for... well umm.... i dunno

If you include the Dior Privee line then I guess you have to pick Dior just because of the sheer number.

But Chanel has Egoiste and you cant beat that.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

YSL followed by Dior
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Dior by far

I'm going to take the underdog here and put my vote in for Chanel. It's a tough choice, though!
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

What about Fragonard?

Zizania, Desert, Concerto, Vetyver, Sieste, Papa cherie, Mesonge and many more, they kick ass and leave Dior, Chanel and YSL in the dust.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

YSL
    Dior
    Chanel

Ysl because it has 2 of my favorite fragrance of all time.. kouros and m7
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

YSL, but they seem on destroying their image with cookie cutter flankers.

YSL

I find YSL to be the masculine to Chanel's feminity, proceed to tell me now how there are unisex and blah blah blah, I still find the majority of Chanels to be aimed at females and YSLs at males.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

YSL - la nuit de L'homme, M7, L'homme, libre
    Dior - homme/intense/sport, Fahrenheit
    Chanel - bleu, allure homme/sport/edition Blanche

These are the fragrances I use frequently. As for best, for me, these rotate from top 1 - 3 depending on the day/season

Blog Entries

YSL, followed by Chanel.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

YSL no doubt. It's sad to see the direction they're heading, though.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar

Of the three listed, YSL. I'm a huge fan of Kouros, Opium pH, Live Jazz and La Nuit, all of which I own. I'm also keen to pick up Rive Gauche and M7.
    I don't have a signature fragrance. My signature changes a little bit every day, why shouldn't my fragrance?
    Currently wearing: H.M. by Hanae Mori

Let's see, the ones I like (from their mass-market releases, including recently discontinued frags) are ...

YSL: M7, Rive Gauche, Opium EdP
    Dior: Homme, Homme Intense, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Fahrenheit
    Chanel: Egoiste, Pour Monsieur

If you like Kouros and Jazz, etc. then YSL is probably the best bet. For me it works out to Dior by the numbers. If I had to pick a favorite of those sets above, though, it would be a tough call between the YSLs and the Chanels. Probably the YSLs, since Pour Monsieur is so wimpy these days.

Put Guerlain in the competition and its no contest for me - Habit Rouge, Heritage, Imperiale, du Coq, Eau de Guerlain, L'Instant Extreme, and Jicky, and Mitsouko if I can count those ...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -