Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Laurent?

Firstly thanks to all those who posted to the other thread I started about peoples favourite Chanel for men - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/271...Chanel-for-men very interesting, I think a bottle of Pour Monsieur Concentree for me in the near future.

Regarding this thread, I have a few from each of the above houses and enjoy something from each but i'm curious about other people's favourites, and maybe a few lesser known gems.

Default Re: Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Lauren

If we only talk about "designer frags" (not the "exclusives" line) my vote goes for YSL. I think that quality, longevity and sillage in its fragrances is a constant. Dior has its highs and lows though they're very good.

Chanel went down after Egoiste and it's not coming back soon

Default Re: Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Lauren

YSL Rive Gauche and the older Pour Homme are both outstanding and affordable. For anyone starting out, I'd suggest they explore the classic YSLs - Body Kouros, M7, Rive, Live Jazz. They're all great and less expensive than most mainstream scents.

If we only talk about "designer frags" (not the "exclusives" line) my vote goes for YSL. I think that quality, longevity and sillage in its fragrances is a constant. Dior has its highs and lows though they're very good.

Chanel went down after Egoiste and it's not coming back soon

Think Hermes deserves to be in consideration, too, even if it doesn't top YSL. I'd rank them YSL, Dior/Hermes tied, then Chanel, then Cartier a few notches down.

Also, Caron and Guerlain rival anything...but I suppose they aren't technically designers (not sure if you intended to focus on fashion designers here). I tend to lump them in with designers, since many of their scents are at the same price point.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

YSL by far.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ysl

Ysl

I love YSL. I think Body Kouros is a good fragrance, i really enjoy Opium pour homme, ive smelled Rive gauche and really like it. I absolutely adore La Nuit de L'homme, just a bit more then L'Homme. I havent tried M7 but im sure thats a fantastic fragrance as well.

YSL by far. Just for Kouros alone they would be light years ahead of the other two.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Dior, of course ... no competition whatsoever!

Males by YSL, females by Dior.

Chanel would be, if they did not have just 3 male frags.

Thumbs up Re: Which House Has The Largest Number Of Quality Male Fragrances: Chanel, Dior or Yves Saint Lauren

I like the variety of classics YSL offers

YSL -- Kouros, PH, Jazz, Rive Gauch Ph....

Dior is probably my favorite mainly for the Dior Homme series & for Fahrenheit. Second would be YSL for Body Kouros & Live Jazz.

In terms of ratio, Ermenegildo Zegna doesn't have perfumes for ladies. All for men.

Edit: hahahaha got confused there for a while. My vote goes to Dior.
    Last edited by volley2; 15th February 2011 at 05:23 AM.

YSL for me too, which I suppose would be obvious from my wardrobe.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Imo the Aramis line should have been included.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    In terms of ratio, Ermenegildo Zegna doesn't have perfumes for ladies. All for men.
    True. Unfortunately the quality is not nearly as good as their suits.

Guerlain
    YSL
    in this order for me.

YSL,without doubt

fountain

as far as top quality is concerned, my vote goes for dior.

Not too familiar with some of these, but YSL has a large range of fragrance classed as 'male' whereas Dior and Chanel have relatively few. Each has their gems (Eau Sauvage, Chanel PM) but YSL has many more (Kouros, M7, RG etc) so they get my vote

YSL has the most worth owning fragrances in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Dior, of course ... no competition whatsoever!
    I'm shocked to hear you say this!

YSL seems to have the best track record to me, and that's not to say Dior or Chanel aren't great.

But I've seen that the YSL scents seem to strike a chord with a lot of people here and generally, a lot of them seem to rank pretty high in the longevity department. I don't have any stats to back it up, but there seems to be a lot more devotion by a wide variety of guys in all ages for some of the YSL scents.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post

Edit: hahahaha got confused there for a while. My vote goes to Dior.
    I would not expect it. Just as Richard James does not have scents for women. They are clothiers for men.

I would venture to add the house of Guerlain: Mouchoir de Monsieur, Habit Rouge (cologne, EDT, EDP and perfume), Heritage, Vetiver, Coriolan and Derby.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It depends what you like.

1. Chanel
    2. Dior
    3. YSL

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would not expect it. Just as Richard James does not have scents for women. They are clothiers for men.

I would venture to add the house of Guerlain: Mouchoir de Monsieur, Habit Rouge (cologne, EDT, EDP and perfume), Heritage, Vetiver, Coriolan and Derby.
    Yeah, Guerlain's offerings are better than the OP's choices

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    YSL by far.
    +1.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Banned

When one considers that the majority of Chanels are essentially unisex (Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles, Coromandel, 31 Rue Cambon, Sycomore, Eau de Cologne, 28 La Pausa, Cristalle EdT, etc.) I'd give the edge to Chanel. Plus when you consider that on top of the Dior Hommes, Eau Sauvages, and Fahrenheits that Dior's Couture perfume line is also overwhelmingly unisex or masculine (Bois d'Argent, Vetiver, Leather Oud, New Look, etc.) then Dior has more then YSL as well. Maybe if you counted out all the YSL Kouros flankers you might have a larger number by one or two, but in terms of well constructed perfumes one would want to own I'd put YSL at the bottom of the list. M7, Rive Gauche PH, Kouros, vintage Opium, vintage Champagne... beyond those it gets pretty thin.

Banned

YSl easy, chanel is over priced for their crap juice

In my opinion, these three houses have a fairly equal amount of quality male fragrances and I would also add another classic French house: Guerlain, as in spite of various ups and downs, has put forward a pretty constant ratio of quality male frags

I'd say Chanel or Dior because I find YSL too mature for my likings.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

chanel first
    ysl after

My vote goes to YSL!!!
    Gary

Ysl.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Imo the Aramis line should have been included.
    +1.
    Of the houses listed, I choose YSL.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Think Hermes deserves to be in consideration, too, even if it doesn't top YSL. I'd rank them YSL, Dior/Hermes tied, then Chanel, then Cartier a few notches down.

Also, Caron and Guerlain rival anything...but I suppose they aren't technically designers (not sure if you intended to focus on fashion designers here). I tend to lump them in with designers, since many of their scents are at the same price point.
    Yeah, Hermes has quite an impressive line. My favorite non-niche house. Of the listed ones, I'd say all are clearly more competent/qualitatively better than designer houses, with Cartier like you said still being above the mob, but still behind Dior, Chanel, and YSL. Shouts to Gaultier and Mugler for doing Daring stuff, but qualitatively they're still part of the fray.

If I had to choose one of those listed by the OP, on the basis of strictly their masculines, it'd be YSL.

Well me personally - i cant answer this question the way you want it to be answered, because i am a very firm believer in the notion that fragrances do not have genders. That being said Guerlain has the most male FRIENDLY scents followed very closely by Chanel. Unles you count the exclusive line of both these houses, in which case reverse the order.

YSL is the king.

Ysl

I appreciate that YSL's offerings become reasonably priced after a period of time. Its great that you can get a quality fragrance for $25, Its very close, but I would give my personal preference to Dior - more fragrances by them that I enjoy.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Chanel

YSL
    Chanel
    Dior
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Banned
    Blog Entries

yves saint laurent for creativity
    chanel for wearability
    dior for... well umm.... i dunno

If you include the Dior Privee line then I guess you have to pick Dior just because of the sheer number.

But Chanel has Egoiste and you cant beat that.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

YSL followed by Dior
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Dior by far

I'm going to take the underdog here and put my vote in for Chanel. It's a tough choice, though!

What about Fragonard?

Zizania, Desert, Concerto, Vetyver, Sieste, Papa cherie, Mesonge and many more, they kick ass and leave Dior, Chanel and YSL in the dust.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

YSL
    Dior
    Chanel

Ysl because it has 2 of my favorite fragrance of all time.. kouros and m7
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

YSL, but they seem on destroying their image with cookie cutter flankers.

YSL

I find YSL to be the masculine to Chanel's feminity, proceed to tell me now how there are unisex and blah blah blah, I still find the majority of Chanels to be aimed at females and YSLs at males.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

YSL - la nuit de L'homme, M7, L'homme, libre
    Dior - homme/intense/sport, Fahrenheit
    Chanel - bleu, allure homme/sport/edition Blanche

These are the fragrances I use frequently. As for best, for me, these rotate from top 1 - 3 depending on the day/season

Blog Entries

YSL, followed by Chanel.

YSL no doubt. It's sad to see the direction they're heading, though.

Of the three listed, YSL. I'm a huge fan of Kouros, Opium pH, Live Jazz and La Nuit, all of which I own. I'm also keen to pick up Rive Gauche and M7.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Guerlainista

Let's see, the ones I like (from their mass-market releases, including recently discontinued frags) are ...

YSL: M7, Rive Gauche, Opium EdP
    Dior: Homme, Homme Intense, Eau Sauvage Parfum, Fahrenheit
    Chanel: Egoiste, Pour Monsieur

If you like Kouros and Jazz, etc. then YSL is probably the best bet. For me it works out to Dior by the numbers. If I had to pick a favorite of those sets above, though, it would be a tough call between the YSLs and the Chanels. Probably the YSLs, since Pour Monsieur is so wimpy these days.

Put Guerlain in the competition and its no contest for me - Habit Rouge, Heritage, Imperiale, du Coq, Eau de Guerlain, L'Instant Extreme, and Jicky, and Mitsouko if I can count those ...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -