Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Incense, vanilla, tobacco, spices or (I don't know!)... whatever that fits me!...

Now it's about a month since the begining of my smelling journey through a new world of "complex" scents accompanied, side by side with all of you at Basenotes.

My nose is still not trained to distinguish all the notes of a perfume. In fact I'm not sure if it will be some day

But I'm trying it. And after GIT for everyday purpose, now I'm after an oriental rich and so complex fragrance for evening/night & special times. Since I tried Chergui, I knew I need it or something similar. But which one???

- Chergui: I like it. I found it difficult at first, but I needed to try it again and again, and the style is seriously growing on me.
    I love the incense note I smell at times and the tobacco. The final sweetness is, by now, difficult for me.

- Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: I love the first hour. After I found too much vanille. And I miss something else. Too linear. Maybe that Chergui incense or something else? I also find it sweet. More than Chergui at the drydown (I know, it sounds strange).

Sooooo, I'm looking for something as much interesting as those two. As rich and as good. But I can't tell you my specific needs because I'm not sure about the notes I need to put together...

Maybe Musc Ravageur? Annick Goutal Sables? Bond No9 New Haarlem? Maybe other ones?

Please guide me...

Thank you!

PS: is ther any difference on the fixation and smell if you spray more or less closer of the skin?
    I ask it because I smell more incense from time to time at Chergui and I wonder if it's because of the way I applied it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Incense, vanilla, tobacco, spices or (I don't know!)... whatever that fits me!...

If you want to go more in the incense direction, I would try to smell Amouage Jubilation XXV (expensive, though), a rich oriental based on a clean, nonsmoky, powerful frankincense. Timbuktu (Artisan Parfumeur), by the same perfumer, is also a rich oriental, but with more woods and a slightly less prominent incense.

I too love the burnt sugar note of helichrysum in Sables. Another perfume based on the same material is 1740 (Histoires de Parfums), which has a touch of leather as well.

There are hundreds of posts on Muscs Ravageur here. Also, if you don't like vanillic drydowns, MR may not be for you. I personally prefer the animalic power of Muscs Koubilai Khan, which is not a standard evening perfume though, given its character.

Finally, for a straighforward old style oriental, there's always Vol de Nuit by Guerlain.

cacio

Default Re: Incense, vanilla, tobacco, spices or (I don't know!)... whatever that fits me!...

Go for complex, natural ones that are still reasonably-priced but won't be much longer, like Acteur.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Black by By Kilian?

Perhaps Montale Full Incense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 on By Kilian Back to Black - luxurious & indulgent - find a sample if you can.
    Annick Goutal Sable and Histoires de Parfums 1740 are both excellent & masculine to boot.

Also try
    Tom Ford Black Orchid - dark floral incense oriental
    Parfums de Nicolai Vanille-Tonka - airy vanilla-laced frankincense
    Huitieme Art Parfums FAREB - dry, spicy woods with hints of immortelle

Enjoy your journey!
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th February 2011 at 04:14 AM.

Also, grab a bottle of Witness at the current dirt cheap prices.

Tobacco Vanille is a poor man's Havana Vanille (L'Artisan). Track down a sample of the latter. The construction's much better and the tobacco molecule used is nicer.
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 15th February 2011 at 05:09 AM.

L'air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer is the only one you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Annick Goutal Sable and Histoires de Parfums 1740 are both excellent & masculine to boot.
    +1.