• failed fragrance

10 27.78%
  • could be my "holy grail"

4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Spiritueuse Double Vanille

How would you describe this perfume?

Default Re: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I think is excellent and I have no problem wearing it as a man.

Its Vanilla Extract + Vicks Vapor Rub but smells nice at the same time but IMO overhyped.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

sailim, I love that you are passionate enough to start threads, but you may want to participate in some threads that have already been started as well. There are a lot of good conversations going already. Often times when you start a thread there has already been a similar conversation only 2 or 3 pages away that you could join in on, rather than starting a new thread. Use your search function. Things get very cluttered and tough to follow if there are too many new threads started. I'm not being rude here, just observant, and it's just my opinion.

From your list: better on a woman

I voted "good, but too expensive/there are replacements" but I would more accurately put it between that and "failed fragrance". I don't think it's REMOTELY worth that high price tag.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille smells like baking Vanilla extract and Halls Menthol Cough Drops. Failure.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    sailim, I love that you are passionate enough to start threads, but you may want to participate in some threads that have already been started as well. There are a lot of good conversations going already. Often times when you start a thread there has already been a similar conversation only 2 or 3 pages away that you could join in on, rather than starting a new thread. Use your search function. Things get very cluttered and tough to follow if there are too many new threads started. I'm not being rude here, just observant, and it's just my opinion.
    +1 and thanks with a cherry on top.

The reviews which are there to be read, are a great source of info. Use them

I don't get any menthol at all from SDV personally.

I think it's very very good. Almost perfectly unisex, but just barely tilting femme in my book. Qualitatively it's top shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    Spiritueuse Double Vanille smells like baking Vanilla extract and Halls Menthol Cough Drops. Failure.
    To say that Spiritueuse Double Vanille smells like baking Vanilla extract and Halls Menthol Cough Drops is an erroneous and pedestrian simplification of a very well rounded fragrance.

I don't get any menthol at all from SDV personally.
    As there isn't any!
    Last edited by neal; 16th February 2011 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    To say that Spiritueuse Double Vanille smells like baking Vanilla extract and Halls Menthol Cough Drops is an erroneous and pedestrian simplification of a very well rounded fragrance.
    We are in accord. I adore SDV.

Cheap (for Guerlain) and loud with slightly better sillage.

But it definitely satisfies if you like it. Better on a woman.

It has a strange harsh cheap-cedar quality about it...there's some strange wood note being used in its composition. It smells ok at best, but has no quality vanilla orchid flower/bourbon extract that I can detect. As I state in my review, Guerlain tried to recreate the smell of freshly cut open vanilla pods rather than the extract, but the end result doesn't smell good to my nose.

Try Diptyque's Eau Duelle for a better take on the recreation of the raw vanilla pod smell.
    -

It's not only one of the best vanilla fragrances, it's one of the finest renditions of pipe tobacco around. Close to perfection.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

From what I've read, and from the name of the scent itself, the concept is more of a vanilla liqueur than anything. I don't agree that its better on a woman at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Try Diptyque's Eau Duelle for a better take on the recreation of the raw vanilla pod smell.
    Starting are two different fragrances, but turning off they are very similar..

I was in the skies when I fist sniffed it back in 2007, but it's true that when the cedarwood oil meets vanilla and incense, it produces during the first hour a discordant sourness somewhat reminiscent of burned balsamic vinegar.

It has a strange harsh cheap-cedar quality about it...there's some strange wood note being used in its composition. It smells ok at best, but has no quality vanilla orchid flower/bourbon extract that I can detect. As I state in my review, Guerlain tried to recreate the smell of freshly cut open vanilla pods rather than the extract, but the end result doesn't smell good to my nose.

Excellent poet.

This is all true. I would like to add Luca Turins review since it mirrors yours and mine.

"Anyone who has bought vanilla in pods knows they do not smell very good up close, with a dissonant fruity, rum-like notes that make you feel like skipping lunch. Guerlain obligingly magnifies all the negative traits of vanilla in this pointless, loud, and misconceived confection. LT"

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    This is all true. I would like to add Luca Turins review since it mirrors yours and mine.

"Anyone who has bought vanilla in pods knows they do not smell very good up close, with a dissonant fruity, rum-like notes that make you feel like skipping lunch. Guerlain obligingly magnifies all the negative traits of vanilla in this pointless, loud, and misconceived confection. LT"
    This isn't the only time where Turin and I are in disagreement.

This isn't the only time where Turin and I are in disagreement.
    I didn't know of Turins review, but its one of the few times where he and I are in agreement
    -

I think I'll wear it as my SOTD. It's also really good layered with so many different scents my favorite being Arsene Lupin Dandy.

Other: Very good, perhaps the best vanilla, but far too expensive for such a one-dimensional, non-versatile scent. A decant is more than enough for me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense