Code of Conduct

Default Costume National Homme - everyone seems to have a different perception!

I'm "researching" opinion on this one, because if I buy it, it would have to be blind.

Its been described as being reminiscent of:

Egoiste
    Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Gucci PH
    CDG 2 Man
    CDG EDP
    Chergui
    Rocabar

No one can seem to decide which notes are most prominent. Of the spices, some say its mainly Cardamom, some say Cinnamon, and some say Clove. Some mention that the fragrance is sweet, other say it is not and in particular, the spices are very dry like the spice mix put into Masala Chai tea.

Some people get a fruity note, but then cannot agree if its Fig, Plum or Peach. Some people get a Tobacco note too.

And the woody note in the base, again, disagreement. Is it smooth Sandalwood, pungent Patchouli or sharp Cedar (there are comments about sawdust, pencil shavings and rodent cages).

I am getting the feeling that this shapeshifter is a bad idea as a blind buy.

Let me flat out say it, I don't like Gucci PH or CDG 2 Man at all, and if this turns out to be like them, its getting traded away immediately. On the other hand, I love Egoiste and Chergui. I also like Tobacco and all the fruit notes mentioned. So do you think I'm going to like this one or not?

Default Re: Costume National Homme - everyone seems to have a different perception!

One of my favourites; in some ways reminds me of Tom Ford Extreme.

Default Re: Costume National Homme - everyone seems to have a different perception!

I just bought a bottle. For me, it's a light cinnamon fragrance - the acceptable face of cinnamon!

Sound Scents

For me it is actually most similar to Clive Christian's X for Men. I think it is an outstanding composition (which is par for the course for Dominique Ropion, IMO).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    So do you think I'm going to like this one or not?
    Not.

I never smelled it before. But, you may want to get a decant first (5 ml to see if you like it or not).

It is sweet (not vanilla sweet but more like Tom Ford black orchid sweet) with a spicy note, it is good.

I got a sweet lemony citrus blast with woods and what smells like plum with cinnamon that was to sugary sweet for me though I can see why it's liked. I also found it to be too loud and brash and a bit in your face for my taste, best to obtain a sample if you can to make up your own mind.

I quite like it but I found the sprayer on the bottle absolutely rubbish. To say it to be worse than that of A-Men would be an understatement.
    Last edited by bgoc; 26th April 2013 at 07:53 PM.

interesting that this one is so hard to pin down... for me the fruit is unambiguously apricot, and then patchouli and spices (think autumn, cardamom and cinnamon)... but the apricot is unmistakable. it's great.

I think it is difficult to love this one.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I quite like it but I found the sprayer on the bottle absolutely rubbish. To say it to be worse than that of A-Men would be an understatement.
    Ditto. Good stuff.
    But that atomizer is a freaking joke in a half!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Ditto. Good stuff.
    But that atomizer is a freaking joke in a half!
    I love Costume National Homme and I also agree the sprayer is just awful. I decant it into another container and spray it that way.

The juice itself starts pretty sweet and boozy, but settles into a terrific smooth, dry, woody spice comprised of clove, cinnamon, sandalwood, and patchouli. Silage is average, while the longevity is excellent. It has garnered some really nice compliments too.

As much as I enjoy the fragrance I do not feel like it is a safe blind buy. If you do decide to buy please let us know your opinion of it. Good luck!
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Very similar (not identical) to Clive Christian X for men. It's a damned good fragrance and extremely potent and unrelenting.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I'm "researching" opinion on this one, because if I buy it, it would have to be blind.

Its been described as being reminiscent of:

Egoiste
    Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Gucci PH
    CDG 2 Man
    CDG EDP
    Chergui
    Rocabar
    I don't think it is like any of those listed. My guess is you would like it, based on your wardrobe, but don't shoot me if you don't!