Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: What was the first fragrance that you bought?

Lauren by Ralph Lauren was my first purchase with my own money. Then I moved on to CKOne.

212 Carolina Herrera...

Why So Serious?

Polo Sport I bought in grade 9, it was a panty dropper.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    With my own money (allowance and allied funds saved over few months) Paco Rabanne pour Homme - 1977

Absolutely Identical...
    Summer 1977
    Do you remember the feeling of holding that beautiful bottle and splashing liberally that powerful juice...My memory is so vivid I can smell it even if I don't own it anymore...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Claiborne sport!!

Basenotes Member

Polo Crest back in 1993. And oh how I miss it! The citrus in the top notes was sublime.

A knock-off of Poison, lol, I enjoyed untill I got the Real poison, but gave it to my girlfriend. Then I think I got me a big Halston's Z-14 at the mall.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

cK One in 7th grade. Then I went for Tommy in high school and Eau d'Issey in college. ('90s kids represent.)

Axe body spray. Forgot which one

Would it count if I list all six of my firsts?

First one that I got as a gift: Hermés Equipage.
    This bottle of Equipage was part of an amenity kit from now-defunct Varig Brazilian Airlines that one of my globe-trotting friends brought from a First Class flight to Brazil. I never wore it - I was in elementary school and no one wore cologne. And chances are that my classmates that were laughing at me would have really laughed at me if I wore Equipage - it had that old man smell to me, and was unsuitable for third grade. However, my story with Hermés doesn't end there: I did own a bottle of Terre d'Hermés from the same house many years later. It was my unsolicited compliment king until Straight to Heaven came into my collection.

First scent that I actually wore with some regularity: Gap Dream. Naturally, this was worn in middle school, when I was wearing Gap jeans almost exclusively and had a lot of other Gap clothes, as Gap was the American Eagle or Hollister of its day among our class. For those of you that remember the days around the same time of electronic dance music that wasn't by Nero, David Guetta, or Skrillex, this was one of the now-discontinued and much-lamented Gap unisex scents from the "GapScents" collection along with Grass and Om. For those of you yearning for something similar to Dream, John Varvatos Artisan (one of my current favorites) has some similarities to Dream (orange blossom?), which must be why I like Artisan so much.

First designer scent that I wore regularly: Acqua di Gio. By high school, I smelled an impressive cologne on a substitute teacher of mine. I asked, and he said that it was Acqua di Gio. So I tried AdG for myself, and my parents bought it for me at the Southlake Mall Carson's in advance of a spring break trip to London in March 2001. I then wore it to London, and I occasionally wore it at school as well. Although I continue to admire this best-seller, I don't wear Acqua di Gio anymore, but I need to give Acqua di Gio Essenza another test (the first round didn't go so good)

First fragrance that I bought with my own money: Mugler Cologne. I bought the EdT, deodorant, and (sadly discontinued) pebble-shaped soap at once at what is now the Southlake Macy's in preparation for college in the fall of 2004 so I could smell good. Good thing I bought it: that campus was full of Cool Water, Tommy, Drakkar Noir, and assorted varieties of Axe, so I smelled different from my classmates. I left that college after a year (for academic, not olfactory reasons). I did start going to another, far more affordable, and (dare I say) better college a few months later... and graduated from that one. Good scents withstand the test of time, and Mugler Cologne is a scent that's still in my collection nine years later.

First niche fragrance: Creed Silver Mountain Water.
    A Christmas gift from family in 2004, bought because of a mixture of the glowing reviews on Basenotes and the Creed hype across the board. I also remember my father having to get a Neiman Marcus credit card for it because Neiman's didn't accept Visa or MasterCard at the time (which is no longer the case, thankfully). Little did we know that the bank we used (and still use, even after moving) had an ATM that we could have used at the 24-hour Walgreens next door to the Michigan Avenue Neiman's. I did have bad memories of wearing it, so I later traded my SMW with another Basenoter who gave me a bunch of Thierry Mugler frags to split between both me and friends. (I kept the Mugler Cologne and A*Men, and sent the giant economy size Angel to a longtime friend and Angel addict.)

First niche fragrance that I bought with my own money: PdN New York.
    Bought in 2009 at Nicolai's Avenue Victor Hugo boutique in Paris which was close to the hotel that I was staying at, and an extremely impressive deal for niche at 20 euros ($30 USD at 2009 exchange rates) for a 1 oz bottle. It one of the highlights of my trip... along with the Guerlain headquarters, the world's biggest Sephora, my first sniffs of 1 Million before it crossed the pond, and the Louvre. Oh, and not getting cell and data service even though Verizon promised my "global-ready" BlackBerry would work. Needless to say, I now use AT&T, and not just because Ma Bell has a better smartphone selection and better local coverage - my friend on the trip had AT&T for her BlackBerry with zero problems in Paris.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 26th April 2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

The first i brought ( not gifted ) was the orignal formulation
    of M7 by YSL.

I think it was either Chanel Pour Monsieur, Eau Savage Extreme or one by Pierre Cardin.

Polo Sporttttt

Probably Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

The first real fragrance I purchased (mid '70's) was Lacoste by Jean Patou. Yes, Patou made a Lacoste fragrance way back when.
    It was a glorious dry aromatic scent in a beautiful frosted glass flacon.

Insense, oh the memories...

CologneFan85

Curve in 10th grade. I am now almost 30

Probably Brut . It was the only thing I could afford
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2-Guerlain Heritage
    3- Chez Bond
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Clive Christian X

Acqua di gio when i was 19

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Antaeus as a 14 year old 100 years ago in the 80's.
    Man, that is attitude. A 14yo buying and wearing antaeus as its first cologne. Only from 80's.