Code of Conduct

Question Why so many more men than women?

I was just wondering if anyone knows/understands why there are so many more men here at BN than women, and can explain it? I thought maybe men feel less free to discuss fragrance in person or in public, so maybe that makes them more likely to go online instead, but that's just a theory.

Default Re: Why so many more men than women?

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannon_chiana View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone knows/understands why there are so many more men here at BN than women, and can explain it? I thought maybe men feel less free to discuss fragrance in person or in public, so maybe that makes them more likely to go online instead, but that's just a theory.
    It's more like - there are already several online forums for women and fragrances. BN is the scent haven for guys.

Blog Entries

BN was started as a forum for men. Ladies joined later.

Yes, men seem to outnumber women here at Basenotes roughly 5:1, if you judge by the thread quantities and number of people viewing in the male/female fora (though this might not be accurate). But there are other sites like Makeup Alley where those figures are reversed.

Women also seem to like online fragrance communities--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Well, MUA is for makeup too, not just fragrance. Until Fragrantica became successful recently, Basenotes was the only major online forum for fragrances that I had been aware of, so I didn't know there were a bunch with more women. What are they, please? Maybe I overlooked them because my primary focus was reading descriptions, notes, and reviews, and swapping, rather than forum discussion. As for why specifically BN has more men, 30 Roses' answer I think explains it, it was a specialized site for men before. I didn't know that.

Some interesting explanations here. In that thread Tigrushka posted a link to a post with an explanation of the board's history here.

Blog Entries

There is also Perfume of Life, which is mostly women.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    BN was started as a forum for men. Ladies joined later.
    +1 to what Roses said.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I haven't been around here very long but I've noticed it also.

One of the reasons I believe is most guys aren't very big on fragrance. None of my guy friends are. Half of them don't even own one bottle of fragrance. Thus, I come here to gather information and converse with like minded people.

Another reason that I'd guess, but I have no idea as I'm not a woman, so I guess I'll ask instead. Do women ever talk about fragrances with each other? Like what they are wearing? I know I've been around women before and they like use a lotion and someone else asks what it is because it smells amazing but I've never witnessed like a perfume conversation go down before. Do you ladies ever discuss it?

Also another question, I'd assume their are probably 2-3x the amount of women's perfumes vs the amount of men's colognes? Not sure, but, I guess I'm wondering if they make more fragrances for women than men?
    Expect the unexpected.

Firemave- I do think women are sometimes reluctant to discuss fragrance in person, because many other women have been hesitant to tell me what they are wearing when asked, they see it as their secret and someone will steal their identity by copying it, but I don't know whether that holds women back in the same way online, or not.

Thanks everyone for the great info and links!

Blog Entries

Firemave~ The main reason is that Basenotes began its life as a site for men to discuss men's fragrances. The women's board was added years later, after other primarily female fragrance sites, like Perfumes of Life and MakeUp Alley, were already in existence.

I do discuss fragrance with my girlfriends. They aren't so much into it that they've become regular posters on BN, but we have sample sniffing dates and I make samples for them from my collection at their request. Honestly, I think that although many women find their way here to discuss fragrance, they end up staying due to the friendships and sense of community to be found here. If you read the ladies' SotD threads for about a week, you'll see what I mean.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I always thought it was because OCD is more common in men.

Not kidding.

Kidding or not, still made me laugh! I actually am OCD, is there a connection between washing my hands a zillion times a day and being obsessed with fragrance?

Perfume of Life appears to not exist anymore, I think? I tried to check it out and the site is down.

We're men. We smell.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    We're men. We smell.
    LOL! But Basenoters all smell gooooood.

welcome to Basenotes rhiannon_chiana. Other sites and blogs are Fragrantica, Now Smell This, Perfume Intelligence.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Banned

same reason guys out number girls in a lot of things related to the internet. Guys spend more time on computers than girls do. While guys willshop for frags online, girls will go in to the store and buy it, and while guys are shopping for frags, they might look at some reviews on youtube, which then leads them to the discovery of basenotes. Women are very impulsive shoppers, and would like to do their research about a fragrance AFTER they buy it, while guys will find out everything they need to know about it online, through reviews on BN and youtube, and subsequently buy them online. Women just dont want to wait a week to get what they pay for.

Sunsetspawn wrote:

"I always thought it was because OCD is more common in men.
    Not kidding."

I definitely think he's on to something. I have psychiatrists in my close family and I always heard that men are much more prone to obsessive behaviors, that is why most collectors seem to be men as well.

From my personal experience, I can say some of my other interests that have the same connoisseurship and collecting characteristics -- rare high quality tea and classical music records, for example -- are totally dominated by men on the internet and out of it. Hard-core enthusiasts and collectors seem to always be at least 80-90% men. Not to say some women don't interest themselves a lot and know a lot about such subjects, but they tend to do it in another way.

I think men like perfumes too.

I have several theories about why men outnumber women 4-5 times on Basenotes. #1: I didn't know BN originated with men, so that offers one explanation. #2: I think men are more conscious about scent (theirs and those around them) than they reveal publicly. I've NEVER heard 2 men discussing fragrance with each other; it's too personal. This website is a safe venue for men to express their ideas and feelings about fragrance, and to see what other guys are wearing. #3: Lastly, I believe from a biological standpoint men are more affected by smells, odors, and fragrance in general. I think they are more acutely aware (even on a subconscious level) with what a fragrance may "say" to them. What do you think?

I find the manly discussion of perfumes here enjoyable, I have to say. I too noticed that here it seems to be more of a haven for men, whilst e.g. Fragrantica seems to be mainly frequented by females, which gives both sites a little bit of a different vibe, which is good.