Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Article: Designer Round-Up: Flankers and more...

Hard to keep track of all these flankers and the celebrity models employed.

I always associate Clive Owen with Lancome Hypnose PH.

Great article on these new items.

When I see the word 'Flankers', Issey Miyake, Jean Paul Gaultier and CK come to mind...but no, this article is more than that!

Since Terre d'Hermes is not a bad fragrance and I do own a bottle, I think Bulgari Man maybe worth a try.

Thanks for keeping me updated nonetheless. Useful article!

Thanks for your article. I'm still a newb. Sniffing the original and the flankers allows newbies like me to pick out different accords. Its hard to keep track of the number of flankers. Thanks again.

Rex

I sprayed Bulgari Man on my hand and walked around the store. Within 30 minutes I was back to purchase a bottle. This is probably my favorite Bulgari since Black. It is clean and brisk up top but gets a bit darker and dirtier with the drydown. Yum. I'm not sure I would consider this a flanker. He is his own man.

Wow - I am behind on most of the women's flankers you mention, though I rather liked Sensuous Noir when I tried it. Will look out for the other Idylles and the Cartier. Thanks for this helpful route map through the flanker jungle!

I'm rather interested in the Boss orange, it sounds rather scrumptuous. On top of that, I love Terre d'Hermes so I'm looking forward to maybe trying Bulgari Man, even though I don't think the two will be that similar

Blog Entries

Nice round-up! Very much enjoyed that, and found a couple that I really want to sniff now.

Looks to me like the women's launches are much more interesting than the men's. Not terribly surprising. Guess which counter I'll be spending more time in front of once spring break starts?

Funnily I'm interested in Joop Splash --> at least with Joop I don't have preconceived expectations (and it's almost summer here!). Was excited by Bvlgari Man when it first came out, but the biggest impression was made by its packaging more than anything.

Everything didn't seem as appealing to me except Orange Man by Hugo Boss, Kenzo Pour Homme Boise, and Joop Splash! Orange Man seems like something I'd more than enjoy!!! Boss #6 is one of my all time favorite fragrances so Im super excited about sniffing this one out!
    Ive actually tried Bvlgari Man and I wasnt too sure how I felt about it. I need to revisit my sample. I've been on the hunt for Kenzo Boise since I heard about it but the stores around my area don't seem to carry it. I really enjoy this house and everything they have to offer so I'm sure it won't be disappointed. As for Joop, Ive never really liked anything from this house but this sounds like something interesting.

b10steeple

Last edited by b10steeple; 1st September 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks for the roundup, Nick.

Orlando Bloom being used as the face of Orange Man is a stroke of sly marketing genius...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the article...

Default Article: Designer Round-Up: Flankers and more...

My kind of article. Thanks. I'm one of those people that wants to try every similar scent when I've found one I like, just to make sure I've got the best one for me.

Excellent =, readable, article. Thank you !

I'd like to think that Orlando Bloom would care what "his" scent was like. If I ever get a perfume counter I will have to have a sniff.....thanks for the opportunity to be entered in a drawing !

Lets hope the scent brings me luck! "Are we to share the same destiny"
    Bring it on!

The pretty Orlando Bloom plus a chance to win an intriguing tester? I'm in! (oh, I see the contest doesn't include Orlando. <pouts> ...)

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I like the female version of Boss Orange, so I'm very interested in sniffing the male version!

I really love Boss Bottled to which this is meant to smell very similar! I haven;t got a chance to try it yet but I really hope its right up there alongside the brilliance that is Boss Bottled/No.6!

I laughed at the Flanker of a Flanker remark. I wonder which release has been "flankered" the highest number of times?

Good unbiased information and opinion on what's new. Certainly stimulates the desire to try something new(as if I need any encouragement.) The Jimmy Choo advertisement photo is beautiful, don't you think? Wait... no gorgeous stilettos featured here??? Makes me want to try the fragrance anyway.

Only Boss I ever owned was Boss #6 which I thought was fantastic

Nothing beats a good flanker. I'd love to try Boss Orange.

If it really does smell similar to Boss Bottled, it would do well without Orlando Bloom as its face.

Id like to try the new Kenzo. I love the packaging, they always have my favorite bottles.

Blog Entries

I'll have a bottle of Boss Orange Man thanks!
    Does Orlando Bloom come with it?

Orlando Bloom being used as the face of Orange Man is a stroke of sly marketing genius...

agreed

Thanks for this article, I would definitely like to try this

I'm intrigued, and I love frankincense.

This Orange Man sure sounds interesting. One thing I can't help wondering is whether orange is the new big thing (we've already seen a plethora of black, blue/bleu and red flankers for every frangrance branch...)

I have not tried the Jimmy Choo, but I am always willing to give a fruity chypre a chance, The Idylle Duet also sounds good. And Orlando Bloom could sell me anything at all.

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments!

The Kenzo is really good and worth checking out. Olivier Polge was the perfumer. I know he's had a few duds now, but that's more down to the brand launching the scent and sucking the life out of it like some kind of scented Succubus (hi Only The Brave) than it is his talent.

VM - I adore Sensuous Noir! It's wonderful. And I'm pleased that it's selling quite well too.

Freedom Factory - Boss Orange Label is a clothing range which is part of the Hugo Boss stable. I assume that they are launching these to tie in with that range. Lacoste are gonna launch a new collection as 3 different colours.

JDBIII - I meant that many of the scents I spoke about are flankers. Not all of them were, IE: Bulgari Man, Jimmy Choo. Hence the 'and more...'

Tortina Mia - That is Tamara Mellon in the ad, the CEO of the company! Good on her, right? I'm confused that there are no heels in the ad too. Gratuitous bottle + heels shot is required, IMO. Maybe for the flanker! Haha

Ant' - I think it might be the whole Poison series. There are 4 flankers to Poison: Hypnotic, Tendre, Midnight, and Pure. Of which there were an additional 4 flankers: Hypnotic, Midnight and Pure versions had an 'Elixir' version (stronger concentrations plus extra notes in), and now there is Hypnotic Eau Sensuelle. If not, I have a feeling that Lauder's Pleasures is flankered out by now too.

Is it bad that I'd only want Orlando Bloom to come with Boss Orange if he were dressed as Legolas? Don't answer that.

I don't think only men get confused by flankers (I know I cannot follow them any longer and get lost reading their names).
    Thank you for the list and similar recommendations, I need to try Sensuous Noir now.

I am looking forward to Boss Orange. I am a fan of Boss Bottled and the One.

Monica Bellucci is so Sensuelle. I like the Boss Orange for women ,curious about the men version.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I liked Bvlgari Man, and bought a bottle. The other day I encountered Kenzo Homme EdT Boisée, and found it nice, but evanescent; after about twenty minutes, it was hard to detect on my skin. It did float in and out a bit after, but was still too weak to fully satisfy...

Yes, flankers of flankers, and all is flankers. The marketing maze is so hard to navigate, one expects to meet the Minotaur!

fountain

apple, vanilla, frankincense . . . boss orange sounds like my kind of frag. i'd be happy to test it. greeting.

I want to sniff the Bulgari Man and Boss Orange Man. I agree that Orlando Bloom was a good choice; he even has the same initials!

I'm very interested to smell the new Cartier! I'm also interested in winning the Boss Orange tester! ;oP

Simply great! Nice round up, to choose in full acknowledgment.

Really like the bottle, wouldn't mind trying the fragrance.

So nice to see an article on Flankers that not only goes beyond, but doesn't at all mention a version of Le Male that comes in a martini shaker instead of a tin, or a tin with a heart on it instead of a tin. Joop! Splash seems like it could be an interesting venture for Joop!. I have never had any urge to associate "Aquatic" with that name.

Idylle Duet is interesting. I like the original.

Bulgari Man sounds interesting, I'd wear a scent inspired by a watch.

Haven't seen it in stores yet. Interested in the Frankincense note, & like Boss Bottled/6.

Keep those flankers coming, I say! There's definitely something to be said for trusting a tried & true brand over picking up a stranger

Sure, there'll be many I won't care for but I don't mind being "lead by the nose" to try something different.

Wonder what bubinga wood smells like, since it is used in the construction of some high end guitars.

Wonder what bubinga wood smells like, since it is used in the construction of some high end guitars.

Would love to add a new bottle of Boss to my other two.

Default Re: Article: Designer Round-Up: Flankers and more...

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Thanks for your article. I'm still a newb. Sniffing the original and the flankers allows newbies like me to pick out different accords. Its hard to keep track of the number of flankers. Thanks again.

Rex
    Yeah, I think smelling out originals and flankers can help with note awareness. Sometimes it's hard to pull every note out of perfumes that you are not used to, so this can help.
    Still, I concur that it seems like fragrance houses are trying to catch the unknowing men and sell them something they might not even want.

Oh, speaking of flankers, I think Dior's Hypnotic Poison Eu Sensuelle has got it all. Such a beauty! Would love to test the juice filled in it too.

Speaking of Boss Orange, I am all here to participate in the giveaway. The only Boss I have worn so far many moons ago is Boss Number One.

thanks for this article!

i especially like the way you included a "if you like xxx perfume, you will like this scent".

it has even made me want to sample joop! splash!

Traversing the flanker-verse is truly a challenge! I was attacked by a spritz-lady with the Jimmy Choo - it was really awfully sweet. The Poison isn't bad and I haven't tried any of the others. The Bvlgari sounds like it could be a new fav and I've never tried anything from Cartier before but that and the HB have me intrigued. Can't wait to snif!

Great article! I enjoy many flankers, however as much as I love some it is often very confussing!

I have tried Boss Orange and it has a good Frankincense accord in the heart notes that really make the fragrance worth owning.

So Bubinga wood , huh ??? ... Well, (and I quote) : "Bubinga is reported to have a rather unpleasant scent when the lumber/wood is still wet, which disappears somewhat after the wood is dry.

~ Well, I should certainly hope so ! ... (So not one to smell wet out of the bottle then ;o) LOL .

The Idylle Duet sound nice, so does the Bulgari Man.