Code of Conduct

Cool What are you thinking about?

I've wanted a small, compact wardrobe comprised of fumes I really love and have a hope of actually using (and replacing) within my lifetime, but I feel like my wardrobe is in a state of flux, at least in my mind. I've leaned heavily towards classics and reissues, but I feel increasingly drawn towards more conceptual scents and niche. I guess I've reached another stage in the journey, which is cool. There are fumes I own that I'm not feeling so much right now (I wore Fracas the other day and it kind of bugged me), and my minimalist side says find those another home so I have a place for something new and exciting. But another side says to keep what I have, and I'll come around again eventually. I'll probably do this. I'm trying to justify the possibility of having a larger wardrobe, but the larger it gets, the more overwhelming it feels..

I'm going up to Portland this Saturday to buy my first backup and to test a few. I've got Serge, L'Artisan, and Amouage on the brain. I'm steely in my resolve to buy my backup. It took me a while to get there, though, as I was contemplating a Perfumed Court leather spree and possibly a fb of whatever I fell most in love with. I still want to do that at some point, but right now I'm most excited about finally trying Arabie, Cuir Mauresque, and Bas de Soie.

And that's about it, for now. Thanks for reading. What's on your mind?
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 17th February 2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: sp

Default Re: What are you thinking about?

Slight feeling of guilt after a very extravagant couple of months, and I am simultaneously worried and faintly pleased that I gravitate towards back-ups and multiple concentrations at the moment. I should slow down and spend far more time with my samples. I don't think I will be able to, at least not as well as I think I should, but I will probably only buy one or possibly two inexpensive, easily available and therefore easily overlooked fragrances that I really want - hello, Aramis! - and maybe a set of commonly used aromachemicals. I am increasingly curious to smell the raw materials.

What's the back-up of? That makes me curious, what other people - and I - are the most afraid of having to do without.

Here's what I am thinking at the moment:

I went crazy about 1 1/2 years ago, found perfume, love it.....and went WAY too fast. At one point, I bought a bottle unsniffed, and later found that I had a sample of it in my untouched sample box! Way too fast.

So now, I would say that about 20 - 30% of my wardrobe is not really appealing to me. I tuck them into another cabinet, but I do go fetch one every now and again, to resmell as I get more experienced. I'm not sure I want to get rid of all of them, but I may get rid of a few bottles along the way.

And I am really getting into sampling, finally. I have a hugh bunch of random samples I have accumulated, and also quite a bit that I purchased along the way. I'm trying to make myself sample much more frequently, and it has served to quiet the need to buy. It has also pointed me in some new directions.

I was looking at my posts in the sample of the day thread, and over the last 3 months, I have sampled about 25 frags (I always try to post my thoughts and use it as my notes to look back on if necessary). Of those 25 samples, about 3-4 warrent further testing (most spring type frags), and about 5-6 bottle blind buys were stopped in their tracks. I know a year ago I would have probably purchased some of those just by description and reviews and chatter.

Anyway, it is still very fun and I love a few portions of my collections. I also love random crazy scents that surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    What's the back-up of? That makes me curious, what other people - and I - are the most afraid of having to do without.
    Tabac Blond edp. It's the only one I'm remotely close to running out of. My bottle's still over half full, but, irrationally, I don't wear it as much as I'd like because I've used so much already. I'm buying the 100ml bottle this time, if my place carries it.

I'm still at the stage where i'm deciding if I should plunge fully into this hobby or test a bunch of things, buy my bottles and move on with life.

I'm also trying to figure out the appropriate size bottles to buy. do I get 10ml decants to avoid FB's? Do I buy 50ml's for personal use and when they're gone i just get replacements? do I get 100ml bottles and use freely, swap juice away, etc.

I'm also worried about redundencies and finding the perfect version of X concept. so I want to keep moving forward with the collection but I'm concerned that once I buy a 'leather' i'll end up sampling another better one a week later and feel bad for buying the one that's not as good. So do I speed through samples and get through everything asap, or take it slow and replace/upgrade as I find better stuff?

and of course there's the money issue. not that it's that tight but this is seriously a very discretionary hobby. I mean anything more then 1-5 bottles is pure hobby territory and unnecessary so is it worth not going out for dinner or to a bar with friends or whatever because that same $50-100 could buy me a bottle of smelly stuff...

those are just some of my current concerns from where I'm at with this hobby.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I bought a lot last year, and I feel like now I have a wardrobe with something for every mood and season -- so I don't need to buy anything new unless I absolutely love it obsessively. This year I plan to be all about the samples, for fun and curiosity (and, of course, for things that are out of my price range in a full bottle!), and about enjoying the scents I already have and love. I have vowed not to buy ANYTHING unless I've used up a full sample of it first and feel bereaved at its loss ...
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Blog Entries

Money is tight for me at the moment after going a bit crazy buying 'fumes during the last quarter of 2010. So l'm trying to hold back from my planned order of decants from TPC (bearing in mind the shipping costs to the UK as well as possible customs fees!) & samples from Les Senteurs, as well as some of the FBs on my wishlist. l tell myself that l must take the time to enjoy what l have for now, & look forward to the time when l can afford to take the plunge again. lt's hard though, because l love the thrill of receiving a new box of samples, & l worry that certain fragrances might be reformulated before l'm able to acquire a full bottle. l may have to sell off some of my least favoured bottles, but it's difficult to let go; what if l regret it? Decisions, decisions! This hobby has it's pain sometimes as well as it's pleasures!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I'm retrenching overall to use what I have, and avoiding spending.

Not just perfumes-- I just overhauled my downstairs pantry (where I store non-perishable foodstuffs), and found lots of items that have been cluttering the area and not being used in a timely way. And the downstairs freezer has meat and fish that needs to be used before it gets freezer-burned.

I just cleared out the excess from my bathroom cabinets and linen closets, threw away outdated meds etc.

I've come to the conclusion that I've been living as though I were still in rural Africa-- always stocking up in advance. Over there, I needed to do that-- there was no place to shop locally -- but not so here. And it clogs our small living space. So, no more stocking up.

I'm all for downsizing, minimizing, rediscovering and repurposing, and if you don't use it lose it to someone who can give it some love. Or sell it, if that's an option. This has been on my mind about perfume and other things, too, lately. Money is a concern, too. Like 30 Roses, I need to go through my house and clear clutter. I am a clutter bug, saving things for sentimental reasons. It gives me a good clear feeling to shed unwanted, unused possessions. Yes, yes, there may come a time when I need the very thing I got rid of, but how often does that really happen?

Blog Entries

I know this should go in the 'Clinic' area but this has been on my mind of late under;
    Holy crap, how did I get into this mess? And now what do I do?
    P.S. This is only one of several boxes of stuff.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Kumquat: “Holy crap, how did I get into this mess?”

Just pursuing fun, of course.

I'm thinking like 30Roses: Use it up!
    I should just apply my favorites more heavily.
    I shouldn't need a bottle of anything new.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Well currently I'm having trouble getting the most pleasure out my fragrances. For example, I'm experimenting with application methods to smell my sotD all day long without olfactory fatigue! This is just frustrating as heck! Oh and no backups for me! I have enough juice to last millenia!

I am sticking to my guns. I will only buy what I absolutely love and cannot live without. I sample, sample, sample and then sample again instead of diving into the blind buy pool of uncertainty. I reach for something to wear for the day and only have great things to wear that I love. This is a happy way to collect.
    - Expect the unexpected

I felt a little frustrated with the size of my wardrobe too. I do love my scents but there are so many there that I don't get to wear them often enough. So:

-Last year, I decided to stop buying (due to limited space, confusion/clutter, and economics). I only bought a few back ups (discontinued items that were absolutely important to me) and only one new bottle (Rochas Lui). I'm very desciplined, you know.

-I also started using up many in large doses (very satisfying body spray technique...ahhh). I decided I'll be replacing one or two out of each category (e.g., summer EDC's, vanilla orientals, etc.) as necessary in season.

-I'm going through my samples and I'm using them up (I'll save very, very few).

-A few partials that I "like less" (not!) and "I'm tired of" (not!), I'll be giving away; along with many samples. I can't say I don't like them but I can live without them.

-I will catch up on sampling this year. I will, however, use them up and I may buy very few bottles based on those.

All this being said, the truth is if I had the finances and the space, I would keep all and I would continue to buy like there's no tomorrow even if those bottle sat there as part of the decor. I just get immense pleasure from even looking at fragrances or their pictures (like the above)!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Well currently I'm having trouble getting the most pleasure out my fragrances. For example, I'm experimenting with application methods to smell my sotD all day long without olfactory fatigue! This is just frustrating as heck! Oh and no backups for me! I have enough juice to last millenia!
    I was having problems with olfactory fatigue from wearing fragrances too close to my face (on my neck), especially heavier fragrances. Now, I spritz once between my wrists (always because I like to sniff my wrists all day), on my stomach, sometimes on my chest as well, but not if it's a very strong fragrance because that would still be too close to my face, and a spritz between my shoulder blades on my back. That is quite a few spritzes, and most of it is under my clothes. As it's winter time, and I'm wearing more clothes, it keeps the sillage under wraps yet I can smell it wafting up to my nose in a very pleasant way all day and into the evening (since it's also on my shirt it's longer lasting). I've been using more of the bottle, which I want to do because I never use up a bottle, and they sit there long after I've tiref of them. Anyway...it depends on the strength of the fragrance. I suppose you could use a splash the same way. Like Renaissance Man, I've been enjoying this body spray application now for a few weeks, and avoiding the neck and face area. What a revelation! Who knew!

OK, I know I own more fb's than I can finish in a lifetime. And yes, I have bought some of them without sampling. But even so, I am enjoying almost all of them and am not holding back on using any of them. (The two I really can't love are Climat and Norell). Even if I'm not using a couple during a season, I hold on to them because I fall in love with them all over again when I rediscover them hidden in the back.
    Everybody says sample, sample, sample. But buying a lot of samples can be quite expensive, and I find I get more pleasure from one fb than a bunch of samples. Now I'm not claiming to have 200 bottles, and I only began collecting a bunch within the past couple of years. Haven't gotten into the niche perfumes yet (at those prices I certainly would sample first!). And as to backups--the only thing I really want a backup of right now is Nu edp.
    Kumquat, I wish I could reach into my screen and go through that box. Fascinating!

OK, I know I own more fb's than I can finish in a lifetime. And yes, I have bought some of them without sampling. But even so, I am enjoying almost all of them and am not holding back on using any of them. (The two I really can't love are Climat and Norell). Even if I'm not using a couple during a season, I hold on to them because I fall in love with them all over again when I rediscover them hidden in the back.
    Everybody says sample, sample, sample. But buying a lot of samples can be quite expensive, and I find I get more pleasure from one fb than a bunch of samples. Now I'm not claiming to have 200 bottles, and I only began collecting a bunch within the past couple of years. Haven't gotten into the niche perfumes yet (at those prices I certainly would sample first!). And as to backups--the only thing I really want a backup of right now is Nu edp.
    Kumquat, I wish I could reach into my screen and go through that box. Fascinating!

Oops, sorry for the double post. Don't know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina girl View Post
    ...Everybody says sample, sample, sample. But buying a lot of samples can be quite expensive, and I find I get more pleasure from one fb than a bunch of samples.
    And when you sample, sample, sample you don't use or appreciate your full bottles. Maybe I'll give up sampling for Lent!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I was having problems with olfactory fatigue from wearing fragrances too close to my face (on my neck), especially heavier fragrances. Now, I spritz once between my wrists (always because I like to sniff my wrists all day), on my stomach, sometimes on my chest as well, but not if it's a very strong fragrance because that would still be too close to my face, and a spritz between my shoulder blades on my back.
    Very enlightening. What a pleasure to continue to encounter discovery along this journey.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

I am thinking about how the heck am I going to move all of my collection to St Louis.

We are downsizing, big time, around here. So I have been making up goodie bags to gift to people around town: teachers, the ladies at the library, my banks, the post office, my heating oil company (they have been looking out for me this winter). Stuff like that.
    Last edited by RHM; 17th February 2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: TMI
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

I was having problems with olfactory fatigue from wearing fragrances too close to my face (on my neck), especially heavier fragrances. Now, I spritz once between my wrists (always because I like to sniff my wrists all day), on my stomach, sometimes on my chest as well, but not if it's a very strong fragrance because that would still be too close to my face, and a spritz between my shoulder blades on my back. That is quite a few spritzes, and most of it is under my clothes. As it's winter time, and I'm wearing more clothes, it keeps the sillage under wraps yet I can smell it wafting up to my nose in a very pleasant way all day and into the evening (since it's also on my shirt it's longer lasting). I've been using more of the bottle, which I want to do because I never use up a bottle, and they sit there long after I've tiref of them. Anyway...it depends on the strength of the fragrance. I suppose you could use a splash the same way. Like Renaissance Man, I've been enjoying this body spray application now for a few weeks, and avoiding the neck and face area. What a revelation! Who knew!
    Thanks for the tip Lilybelle! I keep on second guessing myself on where to spray because I've been spraying on clothes my entire life, but that application method only surrounds you with the scent and you don't smell the progression. I've also come to the conclusion that if you spray the upper chest/neck/back of neck you do get olfactory fatigue but only for the first hour or two, then you can basically smell the scent all day long. Also when applying on the lower chest/abdomen arms, the scent does waft up but in very low doses and not up to my intoxication needs I've come to realize that skin really is where fragrance belongs because it heats up and lets you bask in all its glory! But winter doesn't help because you're always cold!
    Last year in London, I spritzed my neck generously with a tester of Jicky parfum and lo and behold, olfactory fatigue kicked in. 13 hours later on the brisk walk back home, I was suddenly hit the face with the civety loveliness of Jicky!

I have so many bottles, I've slowed down my purchases considerably the last few years. I have held onto everything except for a handfull. I do find that I come back to things every now and again as I rarely wear the same thing more then 2-3x a month. I tend to add unsniffed items that sound really interesting and can be had at a good price and luckily they nearly always work out for me. I still like to sniff niche and high priced things as well, but rarely find anything amazing to buy. Perhaps because I read so much hype on the fragrance boards, I have high expectations and they often fall flat or remind me too much of something else I already own. I guess for me buying means buying something different, unique among what's already sitting in my closet.

Blog Entries

Hey, Sunnyfunny, what a great topic! Gimme more opportunity to reflect and hear y'all's reflections.
    I am thinking right now that I am sampling full speed, perhaps way too much. I am finding some nice fragrances by sampling and some not so nice ones, but it is rare now to find love. My current loves are my newest FBs and I wear them when I need the comfort of them. I hope next year I will sample less, wear FBs more and sample still, but with more focus (i.e. not "the entire line or close enough of Penhaligons" but "that new Penhaligon which notes sounded interesting" -- there's a huge difference!).

What else?

Most my loves are colder season fragrances. I do have Ma Griffe which will work in Spring and my Miel and Citron worked great for me in the Summer, but I am looking forward for some new Spring loves, mainly mimosa and linden.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Very enlightening. What a pleasure to continue to encounter discovery along this journey.
    I thought I might be heading toward fragrance abstention - horrors! But where there's a will there's a way.

...Also when applying on the lower chest/abdomen arms, the scent does waft up but in very low doses and not up to my intoxication needs
    Then you may have to resort to a technique we discussed on a recent SotD thread...

I've come to realize that skin really is where fragrance belongs because it heats up and lets you bask in all its glory! But winter doesn't help because you're always cold!
    Last year in London, I spritzed my neck generously with a tester of Jicky parfum and lo and behold, olfactory fatigue kicked in. 13 hours later on the brisk walk back home, I was suddenly hit the face with the civety loveliness of Jicky!
    I love when that happens, when a fragrance re-blooms on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Hey, Sunnyfunny, what a great topic! Gimme more opportunity to reflect and hear y'all's reflections.
    I am thinking right now that I am sampling full speed, perhaps way too much. I am finding some nice fragrances by sampling and some not so nice ones, but it is rare now to find love. My current loves are my newest FBs and I wear them when I need the comfort of them. I hope next year I will sample less, wear FBs more and sample still, but with more focus (i.e. not "the entire line or close enough of Penhaligons" but "that new Penhaligon which notes sounded interesting" -- there's a huge difference!).
    That's an interesting thought regarding sampling. I've never quite figured out the best way to sample - note focused, line focused....inevitably I just tend to stray all over the place. Maybe a more focused attempt would be more productive.

Blog Entries

Master-Classter, we seem to be so much on the same page! I've been thinking about the same stuff.
    Bottle sizes: I am currently thinking that every time you're getting a bottle, it can be the last time you can possibly get this concentration, this formulation, etc. So I decided I'll buy what's available in large sizes and have it for life... or swap or freely share juice if my tastes should change (which has happened).

Sampling VS wearing: I have the same concerns, and I do not know what is appropriate. I am leaning toward heavy sampling right now and less FB purchases because I can afford it, working mostly from home.

I know I am in this hobby for a long haul, though. I would like to learn my likes and dislikes and have me sample the new releases of the stuff that interests me and, hopefully, building a wardrobe slowly.

Blog Entries

Cello, I really "dug it" when I read about a Mandy Aftel's fragrance on NST blog and felt like "this set of notes sounds JUST LIKE ME, time to sample some Mandy Aftel for me!" so I went ahead and bought 4 samples of hers, including the one that interested me originally. The result? I sampled all, and only liked (borderline FBW) one, the one I wanted to try in the first place. And I thought: wouldn't it be nice to just sample like that when I get some initial knowledge of the lines?..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    That's an interesting thought regarding sampling. I've never quite figured out the best way to sample - note focused, line focused....inevitably I just tend to stray all over the place. Maybe a more focused attempt would be more productive.
    l've always been note-focussed in my sampling. lt wouldn't occur to me that l needed to sample an entire line. Just because you like one from a line, surely doesn't mean you'll like them all??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm so new I will surely eat my own words a bajillion times, but...

I am trying to sample only that which really calls to me. Sometimes that means notes that sound "up my alley". Other times, it's a classic that everyone "must try" (and more than likely I concur). Other samples get put on my list because Everyone loves them (mostly niche scents all of the bloggers and folks here rave about).

I'm somewhat lucky because my budget is SMALL. I'm a stay-at-home Mom who every now and again picks up some freelance hours. This really keeps me in-check. Household money does not go to 'fumes unless Hubby treats me to something while antiquing.

I'm trying to stick to a strict set of rules: sample first, always finish a sample before buying a larger decant. Finish the decant -or mostly- before considering it Full Bottle Love.

There are the occasional exceptions: thrift vintage cheapies I've already tested and loved, for example. And I've asked for DSH's Mata Hari for my 40th birthday, unsniffed. Due to the rave reviews all around, a notes list that sounds amazing, and a limited edition status, it's a safe one (I think).

xoxo,
    *jen
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Blog Entries

And when you sample, sample, sample you don't use or appreciate your full bottles. Maybe I'll give up sampling for Lent!
    Wow, now that is an idea!!
    I'm afraid I can't though since I have some boxes that need to be moved to other people... but otherwise, I would do it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l've always been note-focussed in my sampling. lt wouldn't occur to me that l needed to sample an entire line. Just because you like one from a line, surely doesn't mean you'll like them all??
    No, not really, and I don't expect that. And I don't test the entire line, but when I get interested in something from the line I want to see what else that line has to offer. I am new to perfume and there's so many fragrances that I just don't know.

it sounds like everyone is slowing down on this thread :-) Me too. I now have a healthy stash of perfumes that, pardon my conceit, is top notch. Every day I get to wear a scent that makes me swoon.

Vintage Narcisse Noir, vintage Nuit de Noel, and vintage Fidji: Not even a professional can say 'Oh YES' as well when I can when I wear these.

Pour une femme parfum, Bois D'Armenie, Vintage Parfum Sacre: these make Barry White sound harsh in comparison.

Isvaraya, Alpona, Elle 25: quirky, one off gems that beat Lady Gaga at her own game

And I haven't even gotten to Mitsouko, Apres L'ondee, and L'heure bleue. In the world of perfumery, you don't stay on the shelf this long unless it's well deserved. Oh, and then there is my 'little black box', containing 5 Caron extraits. Hehe.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Blog Entries

Another thing that has been bothering me for a while is what to do with frags that have gone off. I am getting ready to chuck some of these in the hazardous waste dump we have every so often. Even though I could probably resell them, I just can't do it in good conscience. Does anyone else have some duds they have had to dispose of?

I have never had a fragrance go off (that I can detect!), and I have some that date back to the early '80s. I suppose you could dump the juice and donate the bottles to a thrift store, for collectors ...
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

Kumqat, yes, Ebay buys that weren't good at all, too damages. One bottle exploded as soon as I sprayed it.
    like you, Iput them in the trash
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org