Code of Conduct

Default Les Parfums Historiques L'Authentique Eau de Cologne de l'Empereur Napoleon Ier a Sainte-Helene

I saw this as a new arrival at The Perfumed Court. The description is interesting:

As certified authentic by the Chairman of the Osmotheque de Versailles International Conservatory of Perfume, this Eau de Cologne is a certified copy of the original formula elaborated at Saint-Helena by the Mameluke Ali, faithful servant of the Emperor Napoleon 1st. Saint Helena was important to the Emperor as the place he spent the longest period of time in any one location. Restrictions were stringent and sadly the Emperor had no EDC left. So he called upon the memory of his companions and referred to dictionaries to create an artisan EDC; its formula will later be found in the papers of ALI (Louis-Etienne Saint-Denis).

The current owner of the authentic document, the COSMALIA Labs, from Fouras-Ile d'Aix (the same last piece of land in France the Emperor departed), precisely recreated the Emperor's EDC at Saint Helena. This EDC is made up of essential oils from fruits and aromatic plants, is fresh and subtle and is a testimony of the Emperor's refined taste. This EDC consititutes a true testimony; it is an authentic collection item and the only personal olfactory reminiscence that we have from the Emperor.

I will have to try this sometime. I need to see if this house has other offerings. (It is the only one the TPC has and they just got it in).

Default Re: Les Parfums Historiques L'Authentique Eau de Cologne de l'Empereur Napoleon Ier a Sainte-Helene

That sounds very intriguing. Im going to give a try. Am currently trying 1740 Marquis de Sade from Histoires de Parfum, its great, maybe try that one too.

Cheers Rex
    What did Obi-Wan say to Luke at the dinnertable?
    Use the fork, Luke.

Default Re: Les Parfums Historiques L'Authentique Eau de Cologne de l'Empereur Napoleon Ier a Sainte-Helene

Here is the original website:

http://www.parfums-historiques.com/us/index.htm

100 mls for 40 euros.
    500 ml refill for 62 euros.

Hopefully someone stocks this in the United States (besides The Perfumed Court).

Scentsitivity, thank you for sharing this.

The history of many perfumes and perfume houses is aways murky--and outright made-up in some cases.

National Geographic did an article on the history of perfume, which included the scent of Napoleon. Evidently L'Osmotheque recreated the scent. It was featured on a rub-and-sniff in the magazine. Very hesperidic with a touch of spice.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...f-perfume.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It smells great...very lemony. But I swear, it only lasts like 3 mins. on the skin, then turns into a very light dry-down.

Thanks for the info and link. The history behind the scent sounds interesting, but for me has no bearing whatsoever as to whether I would consider adding this to my collection.

Thanks for the heads up. As expected, if you will. Eau de cologne back then were though as fresheners, not as perfume in the usual sense. I think they were used also for things like mouthwash and the like. And for real drydowns, unless one has natural musks and civet, one needs synthetics.

cacio