Code of Conduct

Default Bulgari Black Alternatives?

Hey guys. I recently got a bottle of Bulgari Black, and I really enjoy the leathery, rubbery notes and the smoky, burntness of it. Although I like the scent, I still find it a bit too powdery and sweet for my tastes. I wish it had more rubber, less powder.

Are there any frags that are similar, but are less sweet and powdery?

Default Re: Bulgari Black Alternatives?

I'm not really aware of any other frags that combine a vanilla accord and rubber. I think some people like to lump Bulgari Black and Fahrenheit together, since Fahrenheit is reminesent of an auto garage and Bulgari Black is the smoke and tires. However, I don't think the two frags are that similar, so it's hard to say if you'd like Fahrenheit if you haven't tried it yet.

In the niche market, Gomma by Etro goes in the direction, it's definitely more leathery.

cacio

Check out Patchouli 24 by Le Labo, a much stronger, more daring version of Bvlgari Black.

Interesting you should ask that as I realized the other day that Kenzo Peace smells quite similar to Bulgari Black. Although, I'm not sure of the availability...

I've heard comparisons between Midnight in Paris and BB but personally never smelt the former.

+ 2 for the Labo patch
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ete View Post
    I've heard comparisons between Midnight in Paris and BB but personally never smelt the former.
    MiP has got the same rubbery vibe. However it is much smoother than BB. Wore it to work today and got one of my female colleagues asked me what I was smelling it, cause she liked it so much .

Midnight in Paris has a lot of similarities. Where I find BB rougher and edgier, I find MiP smoother and more refined. I could classify MiP as BB's more sophisticated older brother.

Sur la Plage

Midnight in Paris EDP
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Another for the Van Cleef.

I haven't tried the very popular Bvlgari Black, but I can think of 2 other frags that incorporate a rubber note/accord.. One is sweet and one isn't.

Zirh Ikon has a big rubber note, along with cloves and incense, it's pretty spicy, but not as typical. It's got a very unique quality to it from the rubber smell. My biggest problem though, is that it isn't something I can wear very often, or I'll start to hate it. Kind of how I feel about The Dreamer, and if ya know The Dreamer, ya know what I'm talking about.

Anyways.. the other one is Diesel Zero Plus. Like its rubbery bottle, it has a big rubber accord combined with vanilla, and cinnamon. The cinnamon adds some spice, so it isn't a completely sweet fragrance. Though looking back now, it can smell powdery, which is something you're not looking for.

If you're looking for just spice and rubber, I'd go with Zirh Ikon.. but there's not a drop of sweetness in this one.

Check out Kenzo Pour Homme for a rather unique rubber aquatic LOL.

Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella will give you some of the gasoline/engine oil and leather seats of a car... no vanilla there but similar vibe.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Consider Body Kouros. It was created by the same perfumier Annick Menardo.
    Although not identical you can detect her signature in both of these.
    In Body Kouros I get a softer rubber smell off the top of it. More like an inner tube as opposed to a rubber tire

I think Ikon is a good suggestion. Funny I never thought of it that way before.
    while I haven't sampled it yet, I think tauer's lonestar memories might be similar to what you want.

I'm starting to dislike a powdery smell a bit. when I take a whiff of the powdery scent really close, It brings back memories of my sweaty, overweight classmates in elementary school.

I think bvlgari black smells like le male when it drys down.

Diesel Zero Plus. Sadly discontinued although many shops in the UK still stock it and it's cheap - about £10.

Body Kouros
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

a place where you can find sweet lovely rain on a scorching desert

Cool Re: Bulgari Black Alternatives?

Hi ppk!

Yep, I dun think there's similarities between Fahrenheit and BB. Fahrenheit smell something like gasoline liquid in a glance and BB smells something like a burn tire when it screeched on hard surface road (it reminds to those people in car-drift game).

Yea, I agree sometimes BB can bee too sweet and powdery on me it makes me nauseating. But I still like it.

Blas was right. Body Kouros have similarities to BB in my opinion. Not exactly but still close. I have them both in my collection and always rotating its usage. Sometimes I can get confused during middle of the day coz they made me think "Did I wear Black or BK this morning?"
    But most of the time I can tell coz I get that leather note when I sniff my wrist deeply.

BK have eucalyptus and incense (minus the vanilla and leather which u can find in BB). But even Body Kouros can make me nauseous at times coz it will turn to 'sweet smell' on my skin. Or probably the incense? Don't worry, maybe it's just my skin giving different reaction.

Other than that, Le male might be the closest.

That's what my nose said
    Last edited by Phoenix.69; 20th February 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Having smelled it for the first time this week it immediately reminded me of a weaker version of Tauer's Lonestar Memories

Emporio Armani He (Vintage).

+3 on Patch 24....but sample first: this one is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by espinado View Post
    Emporio Armani He (Vintage).
    Armani He is nowhere near on target. I've been using it since it first came out.

MiP has only the weird rubber note on it's top notes which may be found similar to Bulgari Black.

+ 4 on Patchouli 24.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I haven't tried the very popular Bvlgari Black, but I can think of 2 other frags that incorporate a rubber note/accord.. One is sweet and one isn't.

Zirh Ikon has a big rubber note, along with cloves and incense, it's pretty spicy, but not as typical. It's got a very unique quality to it from the rubber smell. My biggest problem though, is that it isn't something I can wear very often, or I'll start to hate it. Kind of how I feel about The Dreamer, and if ya know The Dreamer, ya know what I'm talking about.

Anyways.. the other one is Diesel Zero Plus. Like its rubbery bottle, it has a big rubber accord combined with vanilla, and cinnamon. The cinnamon adds some spice, so it isn't a completely sweet fragrance. Though looking back now, it can smell powdery, which is something you're not looking for.

If you're looking for just spice and rubber, I'd go with Zirh Ikon.. but there's not a drop of sweetness in this one.
    Thats the first time ever I've seen someone associating rubber with Zero Plus. I certainly don't get that accord!