Code of Conduct

Default Which smells worse? -- Mambo by Liz Claiborne versus Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

A long time ago, another Basenotes member gave me a sample of Mambo by Liz Claiborne. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. But, due to limited time and skin space, I looked up reviews on Basenotes to see if it had anything that might interest me.

My God! The reviews! One compared it to changing a dirty diaper, and said he'd rather change a poopy diaper. As I've changed plenty of poopy diapers in the last few months, I know how abhorrent that can be. But seriously, you'd think it was on par with Etat Libre d'Orange's Sécrétions Magnifiques!

Have you smelled both?

Which is worse?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Default Re: Which smells worse? -- Mambo by Liz Claiborne versus Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Ora

I haven't tried SM but I doubt Mambo is similar to it. Ikon is a more refined and simplified Mambo, and doesn't have that weird "synthetic" thing that Mambo has, but I'd rather wear Mambo than any aquatic, loud gourmand, or generic citrus/woody frag, for example.

Default Re: Which smells worse? -- Mambo by Liz Claiborne versus Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Ora

Mambo by Liz Claiborne is not a pleasant scent IMO.

Mambo wouldn't be so bad if they could figure out how to get rid of the chemical odor. The peach and orange notes are actually not bad, but it's covered up in that mess of a fragrance.

I'm not fond of either one but I would say that Mambo is worse. The synthetics are over the top and the fragrance smells like a complex chemistry experiment. I find SM more boring than anything else.

I assume that it's Mambo for Men we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't tried SM but I doubt Mambo is similar to it. Ikon is a more refined and simplified Mambo, and doesn't have that weird "synthetic" thing that Mambo has, but I'd rather wear Mambo than any aquatic, loud gourmand, or generic citrus/woody frag, for example.
    I see no correlation between Ikon and Mambo. Mambo is a fruity/citrus, Ikon is a spicy/incense. Even if you "avoid top notes", I see no similarities in their hearts or bases..

Well, SM is one of those things that's so bad it's good for me..

I dislike both but Sécrétions Magnifiques is worse to me.

I've tried both. Sécrétions Magnifiques is worse, IMO. Mambo is quite different from SM, as it smells like an updated "old man" smell to me. Mambo is more inline with Curve (with out the "hair activator" note Curve has) than SM. Secretions Magnifiques is just bad beyond words, but like everything on this planet, there are proponents that relish such a thing. Why?... I have no idea.

Mambo stinks, but it doesn't top SM in character, which is disgusting, if not disturbing.

This is a surreal discussion, as are the reviews of Mambo. While I understand some people having an issue and expressing it with regards to say synthetics or composition, I've never understood the need of some people - when they don't like a scent - to utterly demonise and damn it, and equate it to the excretion of some bodily function or other. Such claims can at best be described as a gross over exaggeragation, at worst, as deliberate misinformation.

Mambo for Men is a very nice scent to the vast majority of the fragrance buying public, and to many Basenotes readers - despite all the negative comments - it was voted the winner one year of Basenotes' Best New Scent of the Year !!!

The notion that it smells remotely anything like SM is absurd.
    Regards,
    Renato

To follow up on what Renato said, I think it's quite interesting how someone thought to compare Mambo with SM, and then there was a claim that Mambo and Ikon smell nothing alike. Here are the notes for those two, from fragrantica.com:

Mambo: Top notes are lime, lavender, bergamot and lemon verbena; middle notes are rose, caraway, orange blossom, patchouli, cinnamon, lily-of-the-valley, cedar and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, musk and balsam fir.

Ikon: It is created as a spicy blend of cardamom, ginger, Davano flowers and lemon, the heart of black cinnamon, cloves, iris root and French labdanum and the base notes are incense, cedar, patchouli, vetiver and liquid amber.

I think foetidus, in his BN review, pointed out the incense-like quality to the base of Mambo, but the point is that there are more than enough notes to understand how some people would perceive the two as being similar (I've never said identical). Morever, though Ikon has amber listed, neither of these is especially sweet or ambery/syrupy (as in some niche frags called Amber, Ambre, or Ambra). It's also not necessarily the case that Mambo has no amber or amber type note (just because they didn't list it).

It's obvious we don't all perceive frags the same way, and in fact I have noticed that I don't perceive frags the same way I did a couple of years ago (which is something I find fascinating aboout this). Thus, I suggest we keep this in mind and offer positive commentary. If you don't agree with someone's assessment, all you need to do is to explain what you think frag X smells like, and then based upon your reviews and posts, a person might be able to get a sense of your olfactory perceptions, and decide if it is of use to him in a blind buy or whatever he's looking for.

As to Mambo's "synthetic" quality, I've perceived that in several frags with lily of the valley listed, and I think this may be a problem for some, either because it is indeed not rendered well (perhaps in less expensive frags), or because those who perceive it as "unnatural" don't know what it is supposed to smell like.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 19th February 2011 at 05:46 AM.

I don't read the original question as suggesting that the two scents smell alike. I took it that the question points out that both scents seem to cause some extreme negative reactions and it simply asks which one of the two fragrances is worse.

I said compare, not that they smelled alike (that is, SM and Mambo). I think it's clear that the OP meant that they both smelled really bad, but not necessarily in the same way. Hopefully, I'll remember to do a side-by-side with Ikon and Mambo (won't go near SM LOL), especially now that I can recognize lily of the valley.

Thanks for the responses, all. I would click on the "Thank" button for all of them, but I can't seem to do that today.

Yes, foetidus and Bigsly, both Mambo and Secretions Magnifiques seem to elicit such a strong, visceral (no pun intended) response from wearers/reviewers. I was going to dismiss Mambo as a scent I didn't care to try, but like a rubbernecker at an accident, the negative reviews piqued my curiosity so much that now I must try it to determine if I'm a hater or a lover. There seems to be so much polarity. And so strongly, too.

Also, I mis-remembered the review for Mambo. It wasn't a dirty diaper, it was a potty training accident. Either way, I kind of got the picture the reviewer was trying to conjure.

Alas, my wearing of Mambo shall have to wait for tomorrow because I smell of Champs Elysses today -- which is all flowers to me. (Some claim theirs smells like Champs Elysses, y'know.)
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Banned

The funny thing about comparing these two fragrances for their badness is that Etat Libre intended for SM to smell bad whereas Mambo just smells bad because the intent was create a perfume as cheaply as possible. I do have a friend Ronbo who loves Mambo, but he's a real character and that's not really relevant. It is most certainly not any "lily of the valley" note that creates the synthetic feel to Mambo, rather this feel is generated by every ingredient in the fragrance and it is evident upon application.

"this feel is generated by every ingredient"

Not sure what you mean. Are you arguing that every ingredient in it is of lower quality than just about all other designer frags selling for the same or more? Here's the thing; a lot of the ingredients in all these frags, including a lot of niche, are exactly the same. We're talking the same exact molecules! Just read the ingredients they have to list on the label these days. You'll see there are a bunch in common (an example is linalool). On the other hand, I've read people say this or that frag smells "synthetic" and several of them have lily of the valley listed. My guess is that if you add this note to a poor composition (and I would agree with anyone who said that Mambo's composition is rather strange and rather disconcerting at times) you get something like Mambo.

Banned

Lily of the Valley, as a note, is created by synthetic ingredients because there is no way to easily create an extract from the plant itself. Yet there are many LOTV fragrances that do not smell synthetic (i.e. original Diorissimo). Just because it's listed on some note list does not mean the fragrance contains those notes - everyone knows that. Having LOTV as one listed note does not explain why a fragrance smells the way it does. My overall point is that Mambo smells highly synthetic and cheap. I have nothing against synthetic ingredients, but whether a fragrance is designer or niche those fragrances that are obviously synthetic in aroma are a turn-off. I'm not anti-designer or pro-niche, I'm just pro-good perfume. IMHO those fragrances that mix synthetics and natural ingredients in a manner that creates accords that don't smell like obviously synthetic are the most successful. Even highly synthetic perfumes that create realistic aromas are fine, it's just those that smell like chemicals bother me. Sometimes you can sniff a fragrance and you know the point was to create a fragrance as cheaply per/kilo of oil as possible (and yes there are niche houses that do this too), and Mambo is such a fragrance, as are all those Curve fragrances.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Morever, though Ikon has amber listed, neither of these is especially sweet or ambery/syrupy (as in some niche frags called Amber, Ambre, or Ambra). It's also not necessarily the case that Mambo has no amber or amber type note (just because they didn't list it).
    Good point. The Leffingwell/H&R Chart classifies Mambo for Men as an ambery fougere - I think it would be quite remarkable to have an ambery fougere devoid of amber.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    ................ whereas Mambo just smells bad because the intent was create a perfume as cheaply as possible. I do have a friend Ronbo who loves Mambo, but he's a real character and that's not really relevant.
    Can you perhaps provide any reference to support the assertion that the intent was to create a perfume as cheaply as possible?

Also, I do not follow why the views of your friend are not relevant. The perfumer has created a scent that your friend loves - is that not what a good perfumer tries to achieve?
    Regards,
    Renato

So, I did wear Mambo today.

It is very distinctive. (Distinctive, not distinguished.) I gotta thank you, Renato, for posting what I do believe to be true -- that some people exaggerate in reviews (I am a sinner as well. All have sinned and come short of the glory. . . etc. etc.). I guess because it really does evoke such a strong feeling for some.

And after wearing Mambo, I understand why.

This smells like nothing I've ever tried since joining the Basenotes forums.

Granted, it smells like something I've smelled many times over, OUTSIDE of Basenotes recommendations. I smell it frequently on persons I encounter at work. It's got that weird ability to both repulse me and fascinate me. I can name two other scents that do that. Obsession for Men and Spirit for Men by Antonio Puig (under Antonio Banderas' name).

Not that they smell anything alike, though. But they all have this weird strange food, but inedible food quality, to me. And it's very distinctive. I would know it again if I smelled it blind.

The opening is citrusy, but like . . . way macho citrusy. I like to wear some scents marketed for men, but the opening notes of Mambo, I was extremely dubious (and still am) that I could see myself wearing this. It's totally not like me.

Why? Because I have scent associations with it. I *KNOW* who wears it. I see them when they come into my workplace. I am nothing like them. And just as I don't wear other people's clothes, I have a tendency to avoid wearing scents similar to those around me.

(I don't think others have that quandry. Do they? I know my cousins share perfume, and don't mind wearing the same thing as each other. I just can't do that. It's like using someone else's toothbrush, to me.)

Anyway, Mambo isn't as bad as I would have thought from the reviews. It's weird. I have clear associations with it. I understand my associations are purely a result of my experiences with who was wearing that scent. And because it's so distinctive, the memories of those people and the scent are strongly linked, and difficult to shake.

Citrusy opening. Spicy foody. . . like rotten foody heart. Then an ambery drydown (7 hours later).

I'm not a lover. I'm not a hater. Not sure how I feel about it. I came. I gawked. I drove away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post

Granted, it smells like something I've smelled many times over, OUTSIDE of Basenotes recommendations. I smell it frequently on persons I encounter at work. It's got that weird ability to both repulse me and fascinate me. I can name two other scents that do that. Obsession for Men and Spirit for Men by Antonio Puig (under Antonio Banderas' name).
    If you can find it, check out Perry Man. It doesn't have the same ingredients as Mambo, I don't think it's even in the same classification, but there is something fairly similar in their overall effect.

Also read my review of Secretions Magnifique and then check it out if you have not already done so. Upon reflection, I think I understated what I really felt about it.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th February 2011 at 01:52 AM.