Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default I was just charged $12 out of my Paypal account for a $12 upgrade fee!

Grant, don't get me wrong, I don't mind donating once in a while, so I'm not entirely too mad. I just wished there was a heads up about this charge, that's all. LOL. What the heck is an "upgrade pack" subscription? I thought I canceled my subscription years ago! Again, I was just more surprised than mad when I just checked my PayPal account today. If it's for my avatar size, then I can understand. I haven't changed it in years. I'm just keeping a close eye on my incoming and outgoing funds nowadays and noticed that.

- Holland

Edit: Nevermind. I only saw the "Basenotes Plus" account info, but immediately after I posted this thread, I just saw a related thread concerning the upgraded account. Disregard this message! I got my answer. LOL. Thank goodness for the "Similar Threads" widget below.

Default Re: I was just charged $12 out of my Paypal account for a $12 upgrade fee!

So did you activate your Basenotes Plus Membership, Rawk Lee? I'm seeing an ad for that right now, but I have not clicked on it. I just have a regular Basenotes subscription that charges $5/month. I have a pet peeve lately about unrequested subscription renewals (not here, for magazines that I let expire). They just charge your credit card for renewal without asking. That kind of thing really p's me off. I had to call customer service to request them to reverse the charge and cancel the subscription. They didn't tell me they would automatically renew when I subscribed in the first place. Grrr...

Blog Entries

Default Re: I was just charged $12 out of my Paypal account for a $12 upgrade fee!

lilybelle,

I thought BN Plus is just the new name for supporting members-- if you are paying $5/mo =$60/year, I would have thought you would be BN Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    lilybelle,

I thought BN Plus is just the new name for supporting members-- if you are paying $5/mo =$60/year, I would have thought you would be BN Plus.
    I guess you're right, 30 Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    So did you activate your Basenotes Plus Membership, Rawk Lee? I'm seeing an ad for that right now, but I have not clicked on it. I just have a regular Basenotes subscription that charges $5/month. I have a pet peeve lately about unrequested subscription renewals (not here, for magazines that I let expire). They just charge your credit card for renewal without asking. That kind of thing really p's me off. I had to call customer service to request them to reverse the charge and cancel the subscription. They didn't tell me they would automatically renew when I subscribed in the first place. Grrr...
    You should be in the BN Plus thing if you're paying $5 a month. Let me have a look and see if there is some sort of issue, and I'll refund you whats been missed.

Let me have a look and see if there is some sort of issue, and I'll refund you whats been missed.
    Grant, Basenotes and I are fine, as far as I know. I assume the above is meant for the original poster(?).

Blog Entries

I believe Grant was referring to you, lilybelle.

Ah, thank you! I see that I do not have access to that board, although I think I did at one time. Something happened. Thanks, Grant. I wasn't peeved about this however (I didn't even know). I was peeved about print magazine subs. I was aware that my Basenotes account auto-renewed.

I see what happened now. Paypal automatically added my NEW credit card, which starts next month, and I have not activated the new card yet, as it's still February. WHY the HELL don't these people stay OUT of my business? I prefer to make my own changes. I really feel this is invasive and very annoying because I have to go back and see what happened and make the correction. If they left me alone in the first place there would not have to be a correction made. Maybe I'll just cancel my paypal account. Maybe I'll just rip the internet out of my home entirely.

Blog Entries

You can start using your new credit card right away, though-- as soon as they send it to you.

I see what happened now. Paypal automatically added my NEW credit card, which starts next month, and I have not activated the new card yet, as it's still February. WHY the HELL don't these people stay OUT of my business? I prefer to make my own changes. I really feel this is invasive and very annoying because I have to go back and see what happened and make the correction. If they left me alone in the first place there would not have to be a correction made. Maybe I'll just cancel my paypal account. Maybe I'll just rip the internet out of my home entirely.
    Lillybelle-I had a similar experience with PayPal last year. They authorized a payment to an online merchant for a purchase I did not make(a magazine subscription I did NOT renew.) When I challenged this unauthorized transaction they quickly cancelled it and issued a refund to me. When I originally opened a PayPal account, my understanding was that they were required to notify me BEFORE issuing any payment, and receive permission from me FIRST. They did not do that, and didn't notify me of the payment until AFTER it had been made. I was really incensed(no pun intended, Basenotes.) Long story short, I no longer felt secure with PayPal feeling so free to make unauthorized payments without my consent, and I closed my account.

Lillybelle-I had a similar experience with PayPal last year. They authorized a payment to an online merchant for a purchase I did not make(a magazine subscription I did NOT renew.) When I challenged this unauthorized transaction they quickly cancelled it and issued a refund to me. When I originally opened a PayPal account, my understanding was that they were required to notify me BEFORE issuing any payment, and receive permission from me FIRST. They did not do that, and didn't notify me of the payment until AFTER it had been made. I was really incensed(no pun intended, Basenotes.) Long story short, I no longer felt secure with PayPal feeling so free to make unauthorized payments without my consent, and I closed my account.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    You can start using your new credit card right away, though-- as soon as they send it to you.
    Thanks, 30 Roses. I haven't activated my new card yet, though, so the charge didn't go through for my Basenotes subscription, which is why I no longer have access to Basenotes Plus. If Paypal had not automatically updated to my new card this wouldn't have happened. That's what I find so annoying. I know perfectly well that I haven't yet activated my new card. I know perfectly well that I need to do that, and update my paypal account, and I will. I don't want things done for me automatically unless I choose that option. Basenotes automatically charges my paypal account $5 per month. I'm fine with that because that is the option I chose. I just don't like things being done automatically without my knowledge and consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortina Mia View Post
    Yes, and you had to go through the trouble of canceling it first. And I'm sure they think many people will not be bothered to do that and that's why these magazines do these automatic renewals - it's a revenue generating tactic. I'm tempted to close my paypal account, but I do find it very convenient, and (knock wood) I have not had any serious problems with them. I'm just annoyed about this tiny little thing. It happened immediately after the un-requested automatic magazine subscription renewal fees hit my credit card account without my knowledge, so I'm a little cranky about it atm.