Code of Conduct
    a place where you can find sweet lovely rain on a scorching desert

Exclamation Calling all the owners of Nu YSL

Good day all Basenoters!

I really need your advice and comment on this. Ok, I was asked by someone if I would like to have Nu from YSL (she knows that Im a perfume junkie). So I was given 2 options to choose

Nu EDP

Nu EDT.

The price for them would be USD 110 for EDP and USD 82 for EDT version. Both are 100ml.

My questions here:

1) Can anyone tell me which fragrance very similar to NU? I read somewhere it's kind of similar to Black Orchid. Is it true?
    2) Should I choose EDP or EDT version?
    3) Based on the price Ive mentioned before, do you think it's really worth it? Or too expensive? Im worried if she will get me grade A imitation of Nu. How can I tell if it's original version?

Really appreciate your reply. Merci beaucoupe to you

Default Re: Calling all the owners of Nu YSL

In my opinion Nu edp does remind me of Kingdom by Alexander Mc Queen. It doesn't smell LIKE Kingdom, but it has the same feel to it.

First of all, purchase the EDP and NOT the EDT. I was told the EDT was an aquatic and nothing like the EDP. I agree with ineespenes that it has a similar oriental feel of Kingdom but smells nothing like it. If you have smelt Lyric Woman, then NU has a very similar feel in smell and composition, but the latter is more transparent and ethereal. It's a very odd fragrance to describe but the reviews here at BN do it justice so I'll leave it at that Just to note, NU wears very, very close to the skin but lasts a significantly long time.

Hillaire

Get the edp. The edt is not a special thing to my thinking, and as scent points out it was not the same fragrance.

The edp reminds me (from Amouage) not of Lyric Woman but of Memoir Woman. It also reminds me of somewhat of Malles Noir Epices. I do not see a similarity to Kingdom in any way except maybe bottle metallicness.

+ 1 for the very lovely EDP - As far as I know Nu has been discontinued, so for that reason I don't think you need worry about getting a fake.

Edit to add, I don't find it similar to Black Orchid tho !

Basenotes Plus

EDP !!!! The photos shows the classic packaging.
    IMO- it's more comparable to Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, not original BO...also a little like Organza Indecence (Original formulation).
    Nu is getting harder to find, because it is discontinued, but 110 for 100 ml is about the going rate.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Get the edp. The edt is not a special thing to my thinking, and as scent points out it was not the same fragrance.

The edp reminds me (from Amouage) not of Lyric Woman but of Memoir Woman. It also reminds me of somewhat of Malles Noir Epices. I do not see a similarity to Kingdom in any way except maybe bottle metallicness.
    I totally see the Memoir Woman now that you mention it! However I can never wear Memoir because, this is gonna sound weird, my forty-three year old cousin smells exactly like it. It's not the fragrances he wears or anything, he just has a very specific human smell. I would feel so uncomfortable smelling like another human being.

EDP and I too get a similarity to Memoir Woman from it.

Blog Entries

I would recommend only the EDP as the EDT is virtually a different fragrance.

Blog Entries

I have the edp. It is a fairly dry, peppery incense fragrance skewed to feminine with a dash of floral (though it could easily be unisex). I'm not familiar enough with orchid as a note, but I am familiar with Black Orchid (syrupy black currant, chocolate, patchouli, and some incense on an uninspired oriental base, and totally not my thing) and BO Voile de Fleur (heavy-handed white floral on an uninspired woody base, and totally not my thing too ) and I don't see much similarity to either.

It looks like 110 is about the right price for this these days, which bums me out a little. I've been handing out samples from my 30 ml bottle chromed hockey puck for years (and I'm still happy to have done so, of course!) and can't tell how much I have left. The bottle is impregnable to light, which is a good thing if you love it and want it to stay fresh for several decades.

I also think it would be impossible to fake. I believe there's no way to get the container open without breaking the whole thing apart.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

You’re being overcharged. I occasionally see these at discounters. In addition, our beloved Henry (Xmen) has it for sale with free shipping to boot. I highly suggest you check out his sales thread:

YSL>> Nu edp 100ml sealed- $74 (7 sold, few left)
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    You’re being overcharged. I occasionally see these at discounters. In addition, our beloved Henry (Xmen) has it for sale with free shipping to boot. I highly suggest you check out his sales thread:

YSL>> Nu edp 100ml sealed- $74 (7 sold, few left)

Mr. Stinky is right, I fear. With a little patience, a large bottle of Nu edp can be procured for around 75 USD. And a 30ml can be found for around thirty USD, which is also something to consider, as you do not yet know you love the scent.

Thank you all for your replies.

Im so sorry, I've never tried Kingdom or see it anywhere. But I will make sure that I'll search for it, just wanna figure out how Nu smells like.

Yes, you're absolutely right guys. I had this feeling the seller overcharged the price for me. Coz I don't think that Nu EDP price can reached that high (she said she will order from another country). Still, I know she will need to cut some amount from that price for shipping fees and her commission though.

And last but not least. Hillaire was right. I afraid if I'm not gonna like it :-(

Hillaire

Phoenix, I wanted to also mention another scent that is IDENTICAL to Nu, in the event you knew it. It is the wonderful Cantata by Yves Rocher. Also discontinued, sadly.

Nu EdP was an amazing fragrance that was done in by its gimmicky and unappealing packaging. Tom Ford should add it to his Private Collection range, if possible.

I had the candle which was fabulous, patchouli and pepper. The actual fragrance edt and edp just would not work on my skin.
    DONNA

If I should try to describe notes the most dominant notes on me are Bergamot, pepper and incence.

Cool Re: Calling all the owners of Nu YSL

@Hillaire
    Other than Cantata, what else have close resemblance to Nu?

@Kevin
    Ive always have this huge admiration to Tom Ford's creation. He's such a genius. So far I have only Black Orchid and Youth Dew Amber Nude in my collection. And I love them so much!

@donna255
    How does it behaved on your skin Donna? It turned to be more spicier or etc?

@ineespenes
    I love bergamot and pepper! But does the incense note is strong?
    Some fragrance can give me veeeeeeeeeeeery long lasting incense smell on my skin which Im really not fond of.

The incence note is there, but not the most dominating note compared to the pepper and bergamot on my skin. I also get quite a bit of a woody note too on my skin.

Basenotes Plus

Back to mention that personally, I think even the deeply discounted retail price is a lot for a blind buy- but everyone is different. The search I did for my earlier post showed $110 as average, with some higher and some lower. I bought Nu on eBay in the Used section in the past year. I paid 20 USD for 30 ml (including shipping) and 16.50 (including shipping) for a 75% full 50 ml EDP. But that's just me, who never worries about fakes.
    let us know how you make out Phoenix69!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I have the Nu edp and LOVE it. Wouldn't get the edt based on the comments I've read. Also, I recently tried the TF Black Orchid and the first thing I thought was that it smelled like Nu edp. But I think Nu is a bit smoother and has a better drydown. Good Luck.

Basenotes Plus

Certified Nu addict here! I will echo exactly what others have said; the EDP is deeper, darker and more beautiful than the EDP. Also, do contact XMen if you're looking for a good deal on Nu. Do let us know what you think when you have tried it.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Thank you ladies for your replies.

And guess what, I've been told that Organza Indecence (which I asked before together with Nu) will cost me USD 218!

Unbelievable!

Well I know it's a discontinued product but USD 218 for 100ml?? Whew! Im speechless.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Nu EdP was an amazing fragrance that was done in by its gimmicky and unappealing packaging. Tom Ford should add it to his Private Collection range, if possible.
    Kevin, thanks for your new avatar. It's the best thing I have seen in a while!

I agree with ...everyone?...go for the EDP.

The EDT is more of a more prominent white floral. Jasmine and something else--neroli?-- jump at me. However, they are dirty, indolic (I do not get aquatic notes). The two formulations share a nice incense base.

I like both but the EDP is something special.There is indeed something "bare" about it--as if the edt removed its clothing (the white flowers), and is just wearing its base notes with some pepper and bergomot for accessories. Bare but not light: the base is substantial. More wood notes than in the edt. Vetiver, maybe a touch of cedar.

And you have to have at least one perfume in a hockey puck.

I'm sorry to hear the price is creeping up.

I also agree that it does *not* smell like Kingdom, There is more incense and less spice in Nu.

I don't smell a connection to Black Orchid or to Black Orchid Voile de Fleur, either.

I don't know Memoir, but Nu edp does have an Amouage vibe.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st February 2011 at 02:15 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Get the EDP, stay away from the EDT! They are not even remotely similar, the EDT is a bland aquatic-floral, not even worth a test.

The EDP is a wonderful warm incense scent with a tiny spiceyness. It has nothing in common with Black Orchid IMO. I am close to hating Black O. while I love Nu EDP.

Re price: it is too expensive IMO. I bought my 1 oz Nu from fragrancex for 36 USD. I have just bought a backup 1 oz bottle for 22 EUR. You can get a better deal on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Re price: it is too expensive IMO. I bought my 1 oz Nu from fragrancex for 36 USD. I have just bought a backup 1 oz bottle for 22 EUR. You can get a better deal on it.
    I'm sorry, but I don't really agree. One oz is 30 ml, so bonsai paid $36 for for 30 ml, while the OP is asked to pay $110 for 100 ml. So it's bonsai's $1.20/ml versus the OP's $1.10/ml. True, larger bottles are usually significantly less per ounce, but good luck finding it elsewhere for a better price. Most of the etailers (Fragrancenet, etc.) are out of stock. Those that still carry it are asking just over $100. Definitely pick one up from Xmen here on BN if you've decided to buy. Unless I get his last one first!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous