Code of Conduct

Default Age and scent categories

Ok, I'm 32 and I've recently "gotten into" colognes. I like lots of different scent categories, including the sweets. You know, the ones with the ambery-vanilla dry downs, and/or sugary citrus notes. My question is, am I getting to mature too wear sweet scents like Boss Bottled, Le Male etc?

I know some will say "wear what you want", but I can I still be perceived by others as mature when wearing something sweet, or should I gravitate towards the spicier and more "serious" earthy-woody scents?

FYI, I consider myself more traditional in style (i.e. not trendy/hipster, not burly tough guy), just average.

Default Re: Age and scent categories

Its about you. I smelled Le Male on older guy and it was amazing and it suited him much better than to many adolescents that use it too. So its up to you what are you comfortable to wear.. and what suits you best.

I dont think that sweet frags are not suitable for older men. Some of them smell more youthfull (e.g. JOOP Jump, Rochas Man) and some older (e.g. Guerlain L'Instant, Pure Malt..) etc. but other people can perceive them different.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

There's not an easy, logical answer to your query. You have to sample and find your own way.

Over time, you find out what fits for you. Choosing scents is highly personal and only one opinion really counts. I find some scents wear way too young for me, but I won't make any sweeping pronouncements about them. There are guys in here of all ages that wear everything.

Some guys your age can get very skittish about smelling too mature. There are a lot of great scents that can trigger that concern.

With a lot scents, restraint is the key. You could wear scents like Le Male or A*Men, but just don't douse yourself in them like you're going to a rave. You're at a great age to be into scents.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th February 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

What you wear says a lot about how you see yourself. If you want people to know you for who you are (and not as some "constructed image"), then by all means, wearing what you like is the best policy. I always say, whatever you do, act like you have a perfect right to do it, and no one will dare contradict you. After all, even if you think you don't know yourself very well, who knows you better?

Be who you are, it's much cooler than being somebody you're not.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

If your heart tells you to wear it, then wear it.

Sur la Plage

The only "rules" are the ones you self impose.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

+1 for restraint. I wouldn't worry about scent categories as such. Seek quality and refinement, subtlety, elegance, beauty in any of the 'categories'. Cultivate your taste, avoid vulgarity, tackiness, poor quality. Invest more if necessary even if it meant less fragrances in your wardrobe. Choose quality over quantity.