Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Ho Hang by Balenciaga.

Wow. Someone reminded of Ho Hang the other day and I found my secret stash, spayed and voila!, the spicy oriental I once knew is back, at least for me. A happy walk down memory lane. I really feel bad for all the new Basenoters that have not tried and/or own this marvelous fragrance. Ho Hang first hit the market in 1971, but alas, to the best of my knowledge no longer in production. About two years ago I saw the handwriting on the wall and purchased four bottles, which reside in one of my fragrance refrigerators. I am very happy to still have it around. Are there any other Ho Hang lovers out there?

Default Re: Ho Hang by Balenciaga.

I love Ho Hang. It was (along with Bijan Men) the first fragrance I ever bought for myself, back in the early 90s. I've gone through about 4 bottles since that time, and I still have two half-full bottles left. I guess they're going to just be for posterity now. It's a shame that it's now been dc'ed. A great old-school classic.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I love it too. I also love Ho Hang Club, which is quite different, but equally good.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Have both Ho Hang & Ho Hang Club but the original Ho Hang in a class by itself. Great stuff.

Great scent all around. I really enjoy it quite a lot. It's a bit "old school" but unique enough to avoid smelling dated.

I like Ho Hang very much, haven't tried Ho Hang Club. I'm not too worried about the discontinued aspect, it is easily available in most mall discount stores (that's where I bought mine).
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what Ho Hang translates as?

I've saved my half bottle for special private moments. I wore this a hundred years ago in high school (oops!) and it has a special place in my heart. I get a soapy feel from it with a carnation note as well as some civet. I like this in the summer.

N_Tesla, I vaguely remember a thread discussing the meaning of the name in Chinese. Something to do with "fragrant" something or other. Apparently a bastardization of Hong, which for example in Hong Kong means the same (Fragrant Harbor).

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I really feel bad for all the new Basenoters that have not tried and/or own this marvelous fragrance.
    Oy, thanks for making us feel bad N Tesla >_< just kidding.

I've read quite a few good things about this frag, which I'm inclined to believe since a lot of older frags are floating my boat nowadays. It's pretty expensive on ebay, so I guess you were wise to stock up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    N_Tesla, I vaguely remember a thread discussing the meaning of the name in Chinese. Something to do with "fragrant" something or other. Apparently a bastardization of Hong, which for example in Hong Kong means the same (Fragrant Harbor).
    If you are right, then it means "very fragrant"

"Ho"=好 in Cantonese roughly translates as good, but in this context is an adverb that modifies "Hang", and would translate as very.
    "Hang"=香 in Cantonese translates to fragrant (as you said). But if you asked me, I'd spell it as "Heung", pronounced "Herng".

I own two bottles of Ho Hang; I like it quite a bit. It does smell like it's from another era though. It makes me think about my early years.

AromiErotici

I respect it more than I like it for wearings. I enjoy the fact that it's in my wardrobe and I can periodically sample wear it when the mood strikes, but aside from recognizing it's a well constructed classic, I rarely wear it.

*****I should note that, at one time, I did like this quite a bit more than I do now.****