Code of Conduct

Default By Kilian Rose Oud alternatives?

So I've fallen for my by Kilian Rose Oud sample but it's just so pricey... I love it, but I don't want $350 of it. Any alternatives? (aside from a perfumedcourt decant)
    I could go prettier and politer, but no darker, woodier, or sluttier lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: By Kilian Rose Oud alternatives?

Perhaps Montale Black Aoud. In fact, Montale does a number of fragrances based on the rose/oud combination-- Aoud Damascus, White Aoud, Aoud Rose Petals, but Black Aoud is my favorite. I don't recall the rose nuance and supporting notes of the Kilian scent, unfortunately, so I can't really say, "X Montale is most like Kilian RO." Sorry, but hopefully I've pointed you in a good direction.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I like By Kilian Rose Oud very much. Unfortunately, I'll have to cite Turin & Sanchez's answer to a similar question and agree that I have not found anything "just like it."

People often give the Montale series as an alternative, but to me, the oud and the rose smell quite different in the series, even in Montale Aoud Rose Petals, which is possibly the softest oud of the series.

You can check out Micallef Rose Aoud, which is based on the same notes, but it is still very different from BK Rose Oud. The oud in Micallef is bolder. The rose in BK Rose Oud is more viscous, and the oud only adds a dimension of depth. It is almost impossible to pick out the oud note in isolation in BK Rose Oud. In Micallef RA, the rose and the oud seem to go their separate routes almost immediately.

Check out Keiko Mecheri Gourmandises. I know it doesn't contain oud, but it is probably the closest to BK Rose Oud that I've enountered. The roses in both are pretty thick, the touch of saffron is there, and both are sweet (Gourmandises is sweeter, of course).

Good luck! Spring is coming, and having gone through several decants of By Kilian Rose Oud this winter, I'll just wait and see if I want to splurge on a FB next fall. To me, it is more of a cold-weather scent.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your post, catnip too. I'm going to have to make a trip up to the city and try BK RO again. I wonder if Czech & Speake Dark Rose would be a good alternative? It has saffron and mild, woody oud; far less powerful than any Montale. It's very lovely, and I far prefer it to C&S No 88.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I am not sure I was much help...

I like Dark Rose. (I guess we are into the same type of fragrances--rose, saffron, what's not to like?) The oud in DK is sharper than in By Kilian. The rose in By Kilian is sweeter and, again, much thicker, more viscous than in Dark Rose. The rose in BK Rose Oud is colored pink and has velvety-smooth petals.

BTW, I wouldn't mind splitting a bottle of By Kilian Rose Oud with someone. Just an idea...

Hillaire

I have to disagree with catnip_too about the Micallef. I found it to be the most washed-out of the lot. The politest, but still lovely.

I find the C&S Dark Rose to be a tad syrupy in that vein; while rather goth and haunting, it lacks the blast of nature feeling I love from so many aoud scents.

My favorites are the Montales, and of the rosey aouds, my real winners are Aoud Queen Roses and Aoud Rose Petals.

You might look into JHAG's Midnight Oud, a good rose and aoud scent, which is affordable.

I simply love Rose Oud, and there is no alternative to the scent. There is an alternative to the price. Instead of buying 50ml for $395.00, split a 100ml refill that costs $350.00. Now you just saved $220.00 and have 50ml for $175.00. No fancy bottle, but you'll smell good.

I'd try to find Juliette has a Gun Midnight Oud. I have a decant of Rose Oud and Midnight Oud, and for me they are similar, the difference is that Rose Oud seems to have a velvet, silky aroma that Midnight Oud doesn't have...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say when I first tested Rose Oud the fragrance that popped into mind was....Egoiste!

Banned

I'd say Caron Oud but that isn't any cheaper. I like the JHaG people mentioned. Also try Micallef Rose Aoud.

I think you can get refills By Kilians Rose Oud for much cheaper per/ml then the retail, no?

Take into consideration from the newly launched SoOud Fam. It s a rose oud frangrance quit close to BK RO having the same rose sweetness like RO

Thank you all for the great feedback!

This is really the first oud that truly worked for me. And for that reason I've never tried any of the Montales. Will see if I can find a local stockist and try them out.
    catnip, I think you totally nailed why I think the BK works so well for me... that you can't really pick out the oud note in isolation.

So in between the time I started writing this post I stumbled a 15% discount at Min NY so I thought...okay, it's alot, but what the heck, it's really going to have a special place in my collection as the only oud amongst a bunch of light florals and rose or violet soliflores. You've all inspired me to check out more ouds, particularly the Montales. Curious about Czech & Speake as well, though do they really smell like funeral homes?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chouquette View Post
    Curious about Czech & Speake as well, though do they really smell like funeral homes?!
    Lol, I've never heard this about C&S! I like as well their damp tobacco scent, Cuba (I don't get the strong fecal note many complain about), and Neroli (not as sweet as many other orange blossom scents, except for a 20 minute phase in the beginning; then it gets more earthy).
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    Perhaps Montale Black Aoud. In fact, Montale does a number of fragrances based on the rose/oud combination-- Aoud Damascus, White Aoud, Aoud Rose Petals, but Black Aoud is my favorite. I don't recall the rose nuance and supporting notes of the Kilian scent, unfortunately, so I can't really say, "X Montale is most like Kilian RO." Sorry, but hopefully I've pointed you in a good direction.
    Maybe it's just my skin but the Montale fragrances -- all of them -- are synth-oud monsters on me, while some of the more pricey ouds (and let's face it, real oud is astronomically expensive and unlikely to be found in a reasonably-priced fragrance) are much smoother and softer. Juliette Has a Gun's ouds are pretty good. The by Kilian is very good and very expensive, but there might be some real, actual oud (diseased wood squeezin's) in there.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

I did my own sampling and sorting of the rose ouds a while back and JHAG's Midnight Oud was my favorite, and the only one I have (or need) a fb of. It's hands down the most beautiful and elegant rose/oud combination I've come across, so I'm going to fall in line behind everyone suggesting that one.

I would not recommend the Montales for anything prettier and politer than Rose Oud, except for the two Hillaire suggested - Aoud Queen Roses and Aoud Rose Petals. Imo, Black Aoud, while unmistakably rose and oud, is not only much darker than Rose Oud, it's also bombastic, overbearing and devoid of charm or anything pretty ...it does last a very long time however, so it's got all the others beat for longevity if that's a concern.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I tried myself. I went through samples of the Montales. It's not the same, although I now love Aoud Rose Petals. Kilian may be a synthetic oud, but if it is, it's the best smelling synthetic oud. I've now bought samples of arabic perfumes with oud and now I'm addicted. I've been using Perfumed Court and have been happy with my decants.

I also tried Midnight Oud, but I didn't like it and it fades quickly on my skin. I've also tried Byredo's ouds. Synthetic and not to my taste. Real oud has a bite that some people don't care for, but it evolves so nicely on my skin and the smell is so uplifting! See, I'm addicted. ;-)
    Last edited by Kalynne; 25th February 2011 at 10:48 PM.

Have you tried Bulgari Rose Essential? Obviously it is lacking in the oud department, but it has that same sweet rose scent that Rose Oud has, especially in the drydown.

I am a total oud newbie, so thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, everyone! It's definitely piqued my interest... maybe need to take the plunge and put in a TPC or poshpeasant order very soon.
    Midnight Oud sounds very lovely, I'll have to check that one out.

Now in terms of read vs synthetic oud... any good examples of a fragrance with the real stuff?

Oh and I have tried Rose essentielle! It disappeared so quickly on me, that all I remember was that it was quite pretty... it was probably because I was trying it on in Sephora. I do have a sample somewhere so I will to revisit it.

At the high prices that real oud fetches, I doubt there's any frag with significant amounts of the real stuff. Plus, oud itself varies a lot in quality, type, and style (eg aged verss non-aged etc).

Some online retailers sell oud oils. I purchased some aged varieties at zahras perfumes (from Arabian perfume houses), and they're different beasts still, more woody and less sweet. In some threads, some people have suggested a few other online websites (agaraura, oriscent).

cacio

The Perfumed Court is a good way to test oud scents. It's an acquired taste. 1rst sniff, you may not like it. Revisit, you may become addicted. I first smelled oud in insence form and loved the smell. I'd been looking for the scent without knowing the name, for years. If you want stronger, make sure it says Edp. A perfume oil is a diluted fragrance. It can still be nice and it will be lower cost. Cambodian ouds are more mellow and Indian ouds will be more animalistic. I've stuck with Cambodian samples. My opinion is if you want to keep it more fem, look for no musk or white musk blends. The presence of rose does not make it feminine and Arabic perfumes require a little research since they're unisex and often will not indicate sex. I have samples of Abraaj by Ajmal. It's a lighter perfume oil with oud, rose, honey. Marwah by Al Haramain which is a classic oud, rose, light musk. I haven't worn it yet, but I got a sample of Un Air de Damas Rose by Maison Dorin which does not have oud, but I think has a Middle Eastern/French sensibility. My fav Montales are Aoud Rose Petals which isn't too sweet and White Oud which is less floral and more herbal on my skin. But, none are a substitute for the Kilian. It's a different thing.

Basenotes Institution

Kalynne- I love Dorin's Un Air de Damas Rose- called just' Ta'if ' I believe. There is that darker element to the notes that makes it more than just rose. It is one of my favorites. Availability in the US is nearly 100 % zilch though- a shame. Dorin perfume is underrated.
    Second after the Dorin is Ormonde Jayne's Ta'if though they are dissimilar. I guess I am coming from a 'darker rose' aspect here.

I adore Rose Oud by Kilian. It simply melts on your skin after an intense rosy /lightish oud opening . The tenacity is amazing . It has smelt subtly different on everyone who has sprayed it on - in stores - from different SAs , my sister ,myself .
    I must try out the Montale Aoud Rose Petals.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Montale Attar is worth trying, so far my favorite of the Montale rose fragrances, and I smell oud in it.
    Join us in discussing Penhaligon's newest feminine, Ostara, a daffodil soliflore by Bertrand Duchafour
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...74#post3474074

We also still have room in our Penhaligon's Trade Routes Sample Pass--sign up now!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/400...antium-Lothair

Basenotes Institution

Thanks 30 Roses- I must try Attar too - it is one I have noted for rose/oud samplings !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I also love Rose Oud, and I remember reading about the oud they use in an online article, it is real high end filtered oud oil. The less expensive Cruel Intentions has a fake oud "accord"... but I love CI too.

I thought Amouage Lyric Woman was also very nice but I don't think it's much cheaper than Rose Oud refills.

I just got a sample of Incense Oud in the mail and it is also amazing. I'm glad BK offers the refills...

The new Malle Portrait of a Lady goes in the same area like Rose Oud

OMG!!!!!! This is incredible... just had the chance to spray this on me today (and got two generous samples ). I agree with the Lyric Woman association, the extrait even more so... now, don't speak about any price differences. Portrait of a Lady is that cold ashy vibe that puts me off and has nothing to do with this lascivious and beguiling smell. Montale's Black Aoud is more plasticy and the rose note is different. Dark Rose would be a slightly closer match I think. I really think the thick, sweet, winey rose from Lyric Woman is quite close. This is really breathtakingly beautiful... hey, at last a By Kilian I like I will have to do a side by side comparison with Lyric Woman.

chouquette, I know it's been a while since you posted this query, but Rose Oud is one of my favorite perfumes, and I've often pondered on what might be considered similar. Other than going for thebeck's fine suggestion of buying the travel or refill versions, I do have another suggestion you could try: Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses. It possesses some of Rose Oud's thick creaminess and character, but it goes in a slightly sweeter direction, reminiscent of Micallef Rose Aoud (though Rose Aoud isn't as dense as either Attar de Roses or Rose Oud). But nothing really hits the spot Rose Oud does, with its saffron and ultra blended quality.

I remember this topic! Back then, I was of the opinion that nothing was really like Rose Oud, but if the OP is still reading, I would like to suggest Trish McEvoy Black Rose Oud now. I smelled it just a few days ago, and the resemblance is certainly there. Black Rose Oud is the more restrained of the two (not in the bad way), not so thick. It feels softly luxirious. They are not exaggerating when they advertise the "sensual woods" in it.

I agree that Attar de Roses is a wonderful and easy to wear scent.

(Katie Puckrik, I enjoy your reviews!)
    Last edited by catnip_too; 11th August 2011 at 10:50 PM.

I'd like to revise my opinion too. Back then I thought that JHAG's Midnight Oud was the cats meow, but the I got Rose Oud and it didn't take long for it to leave Midnight Oud in the dust ....mixed metaphors aside. I'm sorry to say that everything else I've tried falls rather short of Rose Oud's particular beauty, as gorgeous as everything else may be.

But now I'm eager to sniff Black Rose Oud - thanks for mentioning that one, catnip too, and thanks for bumping this thread, Katie! I love a good oudy rose.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan