Code of Conduct

Default Sweat Stains!?!??!!?

Hey guys, So I've recently started wearing a suit and tie to work and everyday, without fail I'll have -GIANT- sweat stains in my armpits . I've ruined a few nice shirts already due to it and am curious to any suggestions to help avoid this problem. I use the Mitchum unscented gel and wear a undershirt already.

Default Re: Sweat Stains!?!??!!?

As someone who has been wearing a suit and tie to work every day for a a very long time ....

I'd need answers to several questions - like, is the sweating a new thing, or have you always perspired a lot ? Sweating that is more profuse than you are used to, might be a sign of something else. Are you particularly anxious at work?

Also what kind of shirts are you wearing? Natural fabrics - ie, cotton are best - although a cotton-rich polyester blend is very good too.

Assuming nothing untoward, it seems to me your Mitchum unscented gel isn't working for you. I'm a big fan of Clinique Skin Supplies for Men antiperspirant-deodorant stick.

If you can't find an effective antiperspirant-deodorant, consult your pharmacist or doctor. Stronger treatments are available over the counter. Alternatively, your doctor may recommend a cream or gel containing aluminium chloride that is applied to the skin to reduce the activity of the sweat glands.

I've never really had problems before. I suppose it's just having to wear so many layers. I wear cotton undershirts and I don't feel nervous or anxious at all so I'll try a few different deodorants next.

Jabel:

your problem is not that you sweat, it's that you get yellowish stains on the shirt, right?

Antiperspirants produce yellow stains. I'm not sure deodorants, but probably they do too. I've read somewhere that there are products that one can put on the fabric to prevent that, but I've never inquired. Anyway, it's for this reason that I do not use antiperspirants or deodorants. I get the occasional sweaty armpit, but oh well, with the suit people don't see it. Also, I wear perfume under the armpits, and that is quite effective in preventing odors.

To minimize sweating, I suspect not having an undershirt may help. But the most important thing is the fabric of the suit. While it may not appear to be so, suits can go from producing the same insulation and warmth as wintercoats, to light, fresh things you can wear up to the 80s. In Italy, we call summer fabrics "fresco di lana" (fresh wool), a particularly thin wool fabric. Linen is especially fresh also, though it wrinkles too easily. The lining of the suit matters too. If the lining is thick or synthetic, it'll insulate and generate sweat.

And I am also assuming that you wear thin, pure cotton shirts, not blends.

cacio

The undershirts all say they are 100% cotton but who knows in these days. I'm never hot or uncomfortable in the suits so I don't think it's really a heat issue, I think it might just be the undershirt being to close to my pits. Nothing is actually stained yellow but they are very wet from sweat. I'm gonna give the lab or clinique deodarants a try starting next week and see if that solves any problems.

I worked with a guy who told me he used "antiperspirant pads" to keep his sweat rings at bay. I don't have any experience with them, but maybe someone's heard of these before? Maybe something to investigate.

Try a product called "Certain Dri" it's sold by the deodorants and such. I had the exact same problem, my clothes fit very tightly sometimes (button down shirts) and I can be freezing cold, but because my arms are so close to my sides, I get massive pit stains (fun times when you try so hard to stay nice looking...) But I digress. This product is awesome, its like 4 dollars, you put it on before you go to bed everynight and then in the morning you can apply your regular deodorant or whatever you use, and pretty much guaranteed you will be fine. I wore a button down shirt for the first time today without getting super sweaty under my arms. Anyway I hope this helps you!
    I'm not your toy.

Shave your armpits.

Why are you wearing cotton undershirts?
    They have to add to your insulation and the amount of heat generated under your arms. I've got thermal underwear made of cotton.

I perspire a lot and I've got thick suits and jackets for winter, and thinner ones for summer, and I just wear a thin shirt under them.

If it got really hot, I'd take the jacket off.
    Regards,
    Renato

Try one day without the undershirt and see what happens!

Last edited by Descartes; 28th May 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Try Drysol, you apply it at night. Extremely effective and only needs to be used occasionally.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    No deodorant can avoid sweat stains in your shirts, the only way to prevent an embarrassing situation is using panty liners under your armpits.This is Hollywood’s must well kept secret.

It must be, since I live here and never heard of it. Perhaps so? Hollywood never ceases to amaze me.

Meanwhile:

Certain-Dri- was a waste of money. Let me know when some cool sounding (pun intended) pharmaceutical company REALLY comes up with--with --Well damn! I'm old enough to remember pre-sunblockers! I mean there was the usual crap like Coppertone which didn't do crap but was sold by the millions as if it did. No one had yet discovered--OK,Ok you get my drift, so I'll stop this long winded rant already--

So far the better alternatives here in Southern Cal:

1. Winter
    2. A non-stress job (and good luck with that one!) as already mentioned.
    3. Keep a fan on your desk, assuming you don't have enough clout to change the thermostat in your own office.
    4. Cotton T-shirts, also mentioned which do provide some level of protection.
    5. Keeping aerobically fit--yes EVERYONE sweats under certain conditions, it helps if you're a marathon runner (I'm not)

Haven't tried starch based baby powder though some sweaters swear by it.

Pax,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 1st January 2012 at 01:40 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Try Deo-go on your shirts : http://www.getdeogo.com/

Banned

I wore a cotton T-shirt and my regular dress shirt under my suit jacket, and just used a deodorant ... I think you are doing fine dressing the way you are, but try Michum solid rather than the gel ...

*Shave armpits

*Avoid roll on's, use speed sticks instead.

*Try combining with baby powder

*Try a female targeted product if any men's range isn't doing the job...

http://www.colgate.com/app/LadySpeed.../HomePage.cvsp

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Jabel:

your problem is not that you sweat, it's that you get yellowish stains on the shirt, right?

Antiperspirants produce yellow stains. I'm not sure deodorants, but probably they do too. I've read somewhere that there are products that one can put on the fabric to prevent that, but I've never inquired. Anyway, it's for this reason that I do not use antiperspirants or deodorants. I get the occasional sweaty armpit, but oh well, with the suit people don't see it. Also, I wear perfume under the armpits, and that is quite effective in preventing odors.

To minimize sweating, I suspect not having an undershirt may help. But the most important thing is the fabric of the suit. While it may not appear to be so, suits can go from producing the same insulation and warmth as wintercoats, to light, fresh things you can wear up to the 80s. In Italy, we call summer fabrics "fresco di lana" (fresh wool), a particularly thin wool fabric. Linen is especially fresh also, though it wrinkles too easily. The lining of the suit matters too. If the lining is thick or synthetic, it'll insulate and generate sweat.

And I am also assuming that you wear thin, pure cotton shirts, not blends.

cacio
    This. Its Antiperspirants. I would ruin shirt after shirt with using Antiperspirants. I switched to Deodorants only and the yellow stains stopped. Furthermore, i realized that I actually would sweat more with Antiperspirants, partly because they suffocate the pours if that makes sense. I notice that i tend to sweat with anything that kind of suffocates the under arms, this accounts for shirts that press up and into the under arm.

Recommended solution: Shave and use deodorant only. A quality deodorant should be enough to keep you fresh through a day at work, unless you just have some issues with anxiety or perspiration in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Try one day without the undershirt and see what happens!
    I was thinking this at first, but if it's not a heat issue, it might not do anything.

Since it's not a yellow stain problem (or atleast thats what I gathered from your comments), my number one piece of advice: try a different antiperspirant.

Off Topic: Do a lot of people really shave their arm pits? I would think that it would be incredibly obvious to anyone that saw, but of course, thats not a problem if it's common where you are. Where I am, I have yet to see or hear of any shaved arm pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    Shave your armpits.
    agreed !

I used to have this problem. I like to wear black t-shirts (thank you Simon Cowell) and ended up with white "pit stains" on them. Ick. Ruined.

Then I heard Howard Stern talking about Crystal Deodorant and decided to give it a shot. I have not used a regular deodorant or antiperspirant since (and that was like 6 years ago). I started off using the solid one that you have to put water on the tip to use. That ended up getting old (and oddly IT started to smell like B.O.) so I switched to the spray one. I now use a big bottle that I get from Sprouts (their own brand) and the bottle lasts a year.

Cheaper and it works. (For me) done!

Quote Originally Posted by atrac View Post
    I used to have this problem. I like to wear black t-shirts (thank you Simon Cowell) and ended up with white "pit stains" on them. Ick. Ruined.

Then I heard Howard Stern talking about Crystal Deodorant and decided to give it a shot. I have not used a regular deodorant or antiperspirant since (and that was like 6 years ago). I started off using the solid one that you have to put water on the tip to use. That ended up getting old (and oddly IT started to smell like B.O.) so I switched to the spray one. I now use a big bottle that I get from Sprouts (their own brand) and the bottle lasts a year.

Cheaper and it works. (For me) done!
    This intrigues me. Have to give it a try.

Certain Dry roll on antiperspirant will keep your pits dry and prevent sweat stains. Crystals don't help me at all.

Crystal works well for me. It is a deodorant and not an antiperspirant so you'll still sweat but you won't leave residues behind in your tshirts.

+1 on the natural Crystal. I've used it for several years now with no ill effects. It's the chemicals in the deodorants, etc. which cause stains, not your perspiration. Trick is to keep it wet when using it, and spread it all around. As a double edge blade shaver, I also use a form of it, alum, as an aftershave astringent as well.

I'll put my hand in as another who's converted to using an alum deodorant. I thought I'd knocked it on the head a few years ago when I found Mitchum but, as with the OP, my work shirts are effectively ruined under the arms.

If you're in the UK, most supermarkets'll do a version - whether a roll-on or spray derivative or the block itself (literally a block of mineral salt) - or otherwise Holland & Barrett are worth a shot.

I had the same problem! Yellow stains on my t-shirts, specially on white ones.
    Now, I use MILK OF MAGNESIA instead of deodorant. Believe me, it works very well! (And I live in Brazil, hot days all year round!)

I'm using it for some years already.

Of course, it won't last like 12h...but it lasts good 10 hours
    When you get home from work, clean your armpits and apply it again!
    Also, try to keep your armpits' hair short, or even shave them.

No more yellow stains, guaranteed! lol

Nivea for Men Power, Invisible 48 hour - states boldly on the can that it is made for white stain protection and yellow stain protection.

It works well on me, but I can't comment about the stain protection properties, as I haven't had either problem.
    Regards,
    Renato

I tried this Nivea too, but it didn't work for me...still got yellow stains ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I tried this Nivea too, but it didn't work for me...still got yellow stains ;/
    That's informative. Did you write to Nivea?

Alternatively, start a new thread here about how it didn't work for you - and ask if it has actually worked for anyone else who has bought it.

Could be interesting.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Jabel View Post
    Nothing is actually stained yellow but they are very wet from sweat. I'm gonna give the lab or clinique deodarants a try starting next week and see if that solves any problems.
    You, sir, suffer from hyper hydrosis. I used to have it. Everyone's skin and skin chemistry is different. That's why you'll see 800 different remedies for it: Shaving, using x brand of antiperspirant, use the crystal, and on and on.

The truth is that everyone's skin is different and reacts differently to various products, so the only way you will know how to solve the issue is to try all 800 suggestions until one works for you.

FWIW, the lab series and clinique unscented sticks worked for me and I've never looked back. I had to try quite a few things before finding something that worked.

- - - Updated - - -

For the others in this thread with the yellow stain issue: The yellowing is caused by aluminum present in most antiperspirants.

Solution: Use a product with no aluminum (these don't work for me, but they might for you), or keep rolling with what works for you, and buy new undershirts every few months.

I usually use a dry deodorant and a white undershirt (with sleeves)

I was a mormon Missionary back in 2001 and wore a white shirt everyday in crazy hot and humid Minnesota summer weather and my shirts would get yellow stains and ruined until I stopped using products with aluminum "blah blah blah" in them.

IF I had know about it 11+ years ago I would have used the natural deodorant from LUSH called "Aromoco". (no aluminum, just patchouli and other natural easy on the skin stuff.)