Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Cuir de Lancôme - STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL !!!

Sorry to rave, but I cannot get over how beautiful this creation is. Please, please, please try it. Don´t expect leather as in other perfumes. Expect the smoothest, finest blend of mandarine,safron, patchouly and leather you could ever imagine. A blend so intoxicating it will have your head spinning !
    Expect retro barber shop......of the most luxuriest sort on this planet. After your perfect cut and styling, this is what they would spray you with.
    I can´t stop smelling my arm. This perfume has brought me to tears.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Cuir de Lancôme - STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL !!!

It really is wonderful!
    Coincidentally I'm also wearing it on my arm right now.

I don't get a barbershop vibe from it (lack of peppy citrus and lavender), but yes it's smooth and luxurious.
    Dry fruits over a blond suede. Very nice stuff. Quite tenacious too.

It should be categorized as an "orgasmic leather"! Seriously breathtaking stuff!!!

It really is a gorgeous scent, isn't it? I don't get retro barbershop, though. Maybe because I'm a chica. It makes me think of a hardly used high-end leather bag found in a vintage store: expensive, well-crafted, but smooth and not too new-leather-smelling. Very comforting and lovely!
    xoxo,
    *jen

It's such an embracing leather. It compliments the glowing Cuir ottoman very well.

I agree. Usually, I find myself drawn more to edgier leathers (Knize Ten, Bandit, sometimes even Rien), or, in the smooth category, 1740. But sometimes you just want plush and suede, and Cuir is it.

cacio

Wife used to wear this but she got tired of it rather quickly.

Banned

It's very good - somewhat reminiscent of Chanel CdR before they reformulated it as Exclusif, but without the herbal notes. Good fragrance that's very reasonably priced....

Lancome is a very good house with many high quality fragrances. Cuir de Lancome is one of my favorite fragrances with a leather note. Fresh and seductive leather.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Blog Entries

I agree with all of the positive comments. Cuir de Lancome is a beautiful and well crafted fragrance.

This is my best leather of all. I love leather notes, including Arsene Lupin Le Dandy, Cuir Mauresque, Cuir Ottoman and even Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait or Guerlain Derby.

This is my go-to leather!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

This ranks highly on my need-to-sample list....

Cuir is brilliant to say the least. Plush and luxurious leather. Very underrated. Going for $30 on Parfum1 so it may be time to get some back ups
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Institution

I've never smelled this, I don't know why.

Turin 5-starred this one, right?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

4 stars. But a very glowing review (as with all 4 stars)

cacio

I like how this one manages to remain airy from start to finish. The leather is never overpowering, the florals never cloying. Really good stuff. To me it smells like a modern alternative to Lanvin's Scandal. In fact, I think I prefer Cuir. I'll have to go revisit my sample.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I acquired a bottle in a swap, and enjoyed the first wearing. The second wearing was a bit of a bore, and after the third I decided to move it out, which I did not long ago. By comparison, I wore FUBU Plush for men a few days ago and really enjoyed the powdery leather drydown. I wish I understood better why I like the one and not the other. My idea now is that CdL is too "horizontal"' whereas FPfM has both horizontal and vertical components, which means it doesn't bore me. CdL is well made and natural smelling, so there's got to be something about it that doesn't work for me. With Dior Homme, it was the first couple of hours (which I don't like much) that led me to initially dislike it, though now I have the patience to wait a while for the excellent drydown. With CdL, it smells really nice at first, and it continues, but it's just nice, like so many others that I hardly ever wear.

Funny, David mentions it's such a smooth blend... I have always found it "sharp" on me and yes, exactly as if it wasn't blending at all on my skin. Anyway, I don't like it. It is also no leather in my categories. I also can't see any relation with Lanvin Scandal, which is my holy grail of leathers that I own in several vintages.

How do you think this one would fair during the spring/summer months??

In general, I don't have problems with seasonality in fragrances. Cuir is a real leather, smooth but rich, so whether you like it in the Houston summer depends on whether you like wearing, say, orientals in the summer. This is not one of those fake leathers, like (the excellent) Tom of Finland, which is fresh and lemony.

cacio

Sur la Plage

Count me in as a big fan of this fragrance also.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Wife used to wear this but she got tired of it rather quickly.
    Me,too...Had this and i swapped ..i was bored of it ...i prefer Kelly Caleche's perfume for leather note over this one!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Is this still available , Ive not seen it anywhere snd never tried it

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    It was part of a series of older re-issued fragrances. I think the series is still available, (Sagamore was also one of the fragrances in this series). Unless they came out as limited editions - but I don´t think that was the case.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I got mine in TKMaxx rather cheap, under £30. Its available on ebay too.
    DONNA

Gotta find a bottle of this one.... =(

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Gotta find a bottle of this one.... =(
    You can buy this for under $40 USD on some e-tailer sites.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    You can buy this for under $40 USD on some e-tailer sites.
    Yes! Surprise! I will post it in another thread, if you know what I mean. So happy now. Can't wait....

I also love the smooth leather in CdL. I used to spray a bit to the linings of my mobile phone case.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Sorry to rave, but I cannot get over how beautiful this creation is. Please, please, please try it. Don´t expect leather as in other perfumes. Expect the smoothest, finest blend of mandarine,safron, patchouly and leather you could ever imagine. A blend so intoxicating it will have your head spinning !
    Expect retro barber shop......of the most luxuriest sort on this planet. After your perfect cut and styling, this is what they would spray you with.
    I can´t stop smelling my arm. This perfume has brought me to tears.
    Agreed, is lovely, but how about this 240 years old man ? Royal English Leather by Creed? I love it;-)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Agreed, is lovely, but how about this 240 years old man ? Royal English Leather by Creed? I love it;-)
    I don't know but I do know this 240 years old man belongs in another thread.

Here's another thumbs up for Cuir de Lancome!

I finally received my bottle of Cuir de Lancome yesterday and I absolutely love it. It's what I've been looking for- a soft blend of citrus and leather- so well blended and a real treat. Thanks to all the basenoters that got me on to this lovely scent.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally bought this about a month ago, and I am very pleased with it. This is one of those fragrances that is available now through discounters, but I can only bet that this gem will make it on the endangered species list sooner or later (get it now!). It is no Cuir de Russie (Chanel), but I certainly wouldn't get in an argument if someone wanted to speak of Cuir Lancome just as highly.

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    I finally bought this about a month ago, and I am very pleased with it. This is one of those fragrances that is available now through discounters, but I can only bet that this gem will make it on the endangered species list sooner or later (get it now!). It is no Cuir de Russie (Chanel), but I certainly wouldn't get in an argument if someone wanted to speak of Cuir Lancome just as highly.
    And it's still sold for under $40. I agree that this will one day be in short supply.

Received this in the post today - my first ever blind buy!

First impressions: I sprayed it on my wrist, waited 5 seconds and sniffed. As Marge Simpson said, Christmas in Aspen! That leathery, citrusy mandarin top note is absolutely fantastic and reminds me of strolling through Fortnum and Masons Foodhall in late December.

Seconds later I was getting truly excited as that "real" leather note started to emerge. Not the pleather/leatherette plastic of Bandit or Azuree (which I still like) but plush, real tanned leather a la Cuir de Russie.

The leather then quickly blended into the saffron, citrus and patchouli. Now, two hours in its more polite than I'd like. CdL eschews the barnyard accord of CdR extrait, preferring instead to showcase the iris and patch, with the leather a supporting player.

Its very nice, perhaps a little on the feminine side for my taste, but certainly wearable if lightly applied. I can see its a go-anywhere fragrance. No one is likely to wrinkle their nose and tell you you smell weird / perverted / of manure etc

So far I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 (or a cautious Thumbs up). I'm interested to see how it plays out over the course of the day and on future wearings.

Anyway, thanks BNer for introducing me to this - I'm pleased its in my collection.

Agreed. I find it very lovely also.

Hmm this sounds interesting, is it possible to buy a sample somewhere?

Lucky me as I have it on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by yukselserdar View Post
    Hmm this sounds interesting, is it possible to buy a sample somewhere?
    I'm not sure about samples, but its available, dirt cheap, on ebay and other online perfume retailers.

Yea i did see it on ebay, and yes its quite cheap, i just didnt want to make a blind buy. But perhaps i should make my last
    blind buy....for now

I just may stockpile this one, could use it as a trade-bait later.

Blind-bought this due to the rave reviews in this thread and, I must say, the accolades are well justified. This is a gorgeous fragrance. A big thanks to David (and all the other BN'ers) for turning me on to this one.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 3rd October 2011 at 06:43 PM.

I received mine a few days ago and I must say it's fantastic. The hype was justified. Not very strong or longlasting, but very classy and refined. For the price a must-buy.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been my only successful blind buy - I love layering a spray of Gucci Pour Homme I over it

Quote Originally Posted by eov8b View Post
    I love layering a spray of Gucci Pour Homme I over it
    That's interesting, think I'll give it a try - thanks

Lots of praise for this one.

Damn you people, I see the next blind buy coming.

At least I'l make sure not to wait to long as was the case with Dior Homme vintage and Pure Havane.
    Smellin good

I am bumping this thread to generate more interest in this fabulous scent. I wear this scent often and carry a small sprayer vial of it with me.

Order from Parfum1 and it will be $30 a bottle with the extra 10% discount!

By now I have it and while I do like it a lot I have to agree with Larimar to some degree. It does have synthetic, harsh aspects and is not as smooth as I expected it to be.

However, still very nice!
    Smellin good

don't generate more interest !

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I have to agree with Larimar to some degree. It does have synthetic, harsh aspects and is not as smooth as I expected it to be.
    I have to agree with both Timaru & Larimar that I do not smell any actual leather in Cuir de Lancome. It's very woody, but not actually leather-smelling IMO. My friend who generously gave me a large decant also could not smell leather in it. I think what people perceive in fragrances can be very subjective, so who am I to say if leather is present or not. But I don't smell it. At all. Unfortunately.

..delightful leather scent as much is delightful to wear it for incoming spring days...

Im quite bipolar for leather, some I love (Leather Oud) some i like (Tuscan Leather) and some I hate (Cuir Mauresque).

What kind of leather this one have? Those acid (tuscan leather and Leather Oud) or that raw and crude (Cuir Mauresque)?

No acid, no raw, no crude! Forget these 3 cuir and forget all strong leather scents.
    This is a gentle cuir, you will not find in it any dark /bad boy connotation .
    It's light like the spring and totally inoffensive like the delicate flowers in his bouquet. More than a classic leather scent, I consider CL a kind of "skin" scent when your skin e and it become the same perfume...so for my humble nose, of course! Imo a must try!

Its something like What we do is secret by A Lab on Fire?
    That is a second skin leather scent.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Im quite bipolar for leather, some I love (Leather Oud) some i like (Tuscan Leather) and some I hate (Cuir Mauresque).

What kind of leather this one have? Those acid (tuscan leather and Leather Oud) or that raw and crude (Cuir Mauresque)?
    Cuir de Lancome is a jasmine leather, whereas Cuir Ottoman is an iris/leather.

Broken record here: I don't think there is any "leather" in Cuir de Lancome. No birchtar, no isobutyl quinoline, no castoreum. It's just very sharply woody and it is clearly made with very cheap materials. I think of it as a bois scent, not an actual cuir scent.

If looking for a dirt cheap leather scent, a great one is "Leather" by Demeter. It smells realistically of actual leather, though it is clearly not made with high quality materials.
    Last edited by tourmaline; 25th February 2012 at 06:09 AM.

Its something like What we do is secret by A Lab on Fire?
    That is a second skin leather scent.
    Sorry, unfortunately I never tried LoF perfumes..

I received my bottle last week and Im wearing it today for the first time.
    I must say that the fragrance is incridible awesome indeed.

It resembles Cuir de Russie by Chanel, but with a dried fruity opening instead of the aldehydic of the Chanel.

My favorite leather still Cuir de Russie Les Exclusifs EDT until now, but we have some serious embracing fragrance here!

I received my bottle last week and Im wearing it today for the first time.
    I must say that the fragrance is incridible awesome indeed.

It resembles Cuir de Russie by Chanel, but with a dried fruity opening instead of the aldehydic of the Chanel.

My favorite leather still Cuir de Russie Les Exclusifs EDT until now, but we have some serious embracing fragrance here!
    Glad you got it Daniel! I think that it is great too. I think that we will see this line reintroduced in new packaging, and with new prices! Wear it in good health.