Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Unhappy My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    I've had CF for over two years and have worn it probably over a couple of dozen times. I've had issues with it, so hear me out. The opening spritz is sooo damn heady and it instantly causes olfactory fatigue, even when sprayed on the lower chest. But then the strangest thing happens...it dies down into a skin scent in about half an hour...a barely perceptible one I've tested this on my arm just to make sure I'm not experiencing olfactory fatigue and I'm not...it's there but it's so shy.The worst thing is, it doesn't last more than two hours or three tops (on some days, it disappears in an hour!!!!) I am not imagining things, I swear! Usually fragrances come back to life in the shower or with sweat, but once four hours after wearing a healthy amount of CF, I took a shower and could not smell one freakin trace of the damn thing! And this is really strange, given my skin holds onto even the lightest scents. If I spray with abandon, I would cause instant olfactory fatigue for hours, and finally when I can smell it, it dies. I tried to fix this by spraying on fabric, but on fabric, CF becomes very synthetic and loud, and stays in its topnotes for its entire duration. The other downside is that it's really oily and will cause damage to fabric, and that's it'll stay on that item of clothing for weeks or even months! I'll try wearing it a few more times, but each with a different approach and hopefully with some success. Do you think if I email Frederic Malle and explain my disappointment, they would maybe offer me a new bottle? That's it...thanks for hearing my rant

  2. #2

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    CF is my all-time favorite. I used to think the same thing, but when I would ask people if they could still smell me they were like Totally! Generally, the stronger a fragrance is the more rapidly you will become anosmic to it. The same thing still happens to me with CF. My suggestion is that you get a second or third opinion, and good luck!

  3. #3

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Oh blondex199667 believe me I have gotten numerous second, third and fourth opinions Before I started this thread I applied two full sprays to my wrist, and concentrated sprays not arm length. I just asked my brother to smell my wrist and see if he could detect anything. He said he smelt a very, very faint perfume. And as I'm writing this now, it has disappeared altogether. To put thing in contrast further, I applied a spray of Kiki EDP on my arm about nine hours ago, and even though it's not a nuclear-strength perfume by any means, it completely overpowered CF. I'll use up my bottle, but once it's empty, I don't think the love can be rekindled.

  4. #4
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,651
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    What a shame, scent, it seems you are just unlucky with this one. CF lasts all day on me & projects beautifully. On the other hand, most Lutens fragrances last barely 2 hours on me. Who can explain these strange idiosyncrasies? Certainly not me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Scent - Carnal Flower and I had the same problem . I didn't buy a full bottle for over a year because I really could not see how this was as strong as everyone said it was. However, I think it was partly olfactory fatigue for me and partly dry weather in California. CF is a bit odd to me because some days it really projects and lasts forever and other times , I feel I need more sprays. I found it lasts the long time on clothes and hair. 3-5 sprays seem to work well most days and when I think it's all disappeared someone will say they love the smell of my scent- so I guess it's still there!

    I'm sorry CF didn't work out for you. I understand the frustration with expensive scent that doesn't stick on skin.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  6. #6

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    What a shame, scent, it seems you are just unlucky with this one. CF lasts all day on me & projects beautifully. On the other hand, most Lutens fragrances last barely 2 hours on me. Who can explain these strange idiosyncrasies? Certainly not me.
    Skin chemistry really is odd, isn't it?! And a shame too My skin holds on to most Lutens for over 24 hours! Wanna trade skin LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Scent - Carnal Flower and I had the same problem . I didn't buy a full bottle for over a year because I really could not see how this was as strong as everyone said it was. However, I think it was partly olfactory fatigue for me and partly dry weather in California. CF is a bit odd to me because some days it really projects and lasts forever and other times , I feel I need more sprays. I found it lasts the long time on clothes and hair. 3-5 sprays seem to work well most days and when I think it's all disappeared someone will say they love the smell of my scent- so I guess it's still there!

    I'm sorry CF didn't work out for you. I understand the frustration with expensive scent that doesn't stick on skin.
    I remember you starting a thread about CF a while back and you having the same frustrations! Didn't you wear CF to the gym and it didn't project or something LOL? Talk about disappointment! I have to test CF on a very, very humid, suffocating day; just to see if it really is there and would perhaps bloom back to life!

    I have the same problem with Goutal's Tubereuse, but with not as bad longevity as CF. I'm beginning to think the high percentage of absolutes is what attributes to poor longevity. Goutal's Tubereuse is supposedly just tuberose absolute from Grasse diluted.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Scent- yes I started a thread about it all- good memory!
    I guess you're right re. High percentages of absolutes. As CF has 25% tuberose absolute in it - technically it's extrait , I suppose, so I assume it'll have softer sillage . It's longevity remains a mystery to me still.
    I still love CF so much though.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  8. #8

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    I wonder if you didn't get a bad batch - you should ask them to send you a few samples to compare and contrast with, or call one of the Barneys NY locations that carries Malle. CF's longevity is out of this world... I don't think it has been reformulated since it was created. It has a huge amount of Tuberose Absolute (Oil) in it. I'd never think it was synthetic - perhaps that's one of the other floral accords happening in CF.

    CF was the fragrance that helped me figure out what I don't like in fragrances, and as harsh as that sounds, it really did help!

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I've had CF for over two years and have worn it probably over a couple of dozen times. I've had issues with it, so hear me out. The opening spritz is sooo damn heady and it instantly causes olfactory fatigue, even when sprayed on the lower chest. But then the strangest thing happens...it dies down into a skin scent in about half an hour...a barely perceptible one I've tested this on my arm just to make sure I'm not experiencing olfactory fatigue and I'm not...it's there but it's so shy.The worst thing is, it doesn't last more than two hours or three tops (on some days, it disappears in an hour!!!!) I am not imagining things, I swear! Usually fragrances come back to life in the shower or with sweat, but once four hours after wearing a healthy amount of CF, I took a shower and could not smell one freakin trace of the damn thing! And this is really strange, given my skin holds onto even the lightest scents. If I spray with abandon, I would cause instant olfactory fatigue for hours, and finally when I can smell it, it dies. I tried to fix this by spraying on fabric, but on fabric, CF becomes very synthetic and loud, and stays in its topnotes for its entire duration. The other downside is that it's really oily and will cause damage to fabric, and that's it'll stay on that item of clothing for weeks or even months! I'll try wearing it a few more times, but each with a different approach and hopefully with some success. Do you think if I email Frederic Malle and explain my disappointment, they would maybe offer me a new bottle? That's it...thanks for hearing my rant

  9. #9

    Thumbs up Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Give a break to CF. It's the same with me, but people around can sniff the scent and i do not.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

  10. #10

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    @AnthonyDG: I wonder too if I got a bad batch. When I spray CF, a very funny, rubber (not rubbery) note appears after ten minutes but disappears a few minutes after that. I'm left wondering, hmmm...where did that come from? (Although tuberose absolute is supposed to be reminiscent of blood, rubber and flesh ) My brother is in London now and I think I'm gonna have to tell him to bring me a sample of CF to compare. Thanks! I did not think of that! Oh, might as well tell him to bring me a sample of PoAL as well

    @Roberto: I have been commented on how wonderful I smelt when wearing CF, but that was during the first couple of hours! I'll wear it again in the next week as it's getting warmer, so I'll see how that plays out.

  11. #11

    Thumbs up Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    @AnthonyDG: I wonder too if I got a bad batch. When I spray CF, a very funny, rubber (not rubbery) note appears after ten minutes but disappears a few minutes after that. I'm left wondering, hmmm...where did that come from? (Although tuberose absolute is supposed to be reminiscent of blood, rubber and flesh ) My brother is in London now and I think I'm gonna have to tell him to bring me a sample of CF to compare. Thanks! I did not think of that! Oh, might as well tell him to bring me a sample of PoAL as well

    @Roberto: I have been commented on how wonderful I smelt when wearing CF, but that was during the first couple of hours! I'll wear it again in the next week as it's getting warmer, so I'll see how that plays out.
    Try to spray the inside of your blouse.Remember that the hot weather can ruin the fragrance. CF stays on me more than 12 hours..
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

  12. #12

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    PoAL is quite gorgeous - might be in my Top 3 Malle's! Hopefully you find it's just a batch thing - I'm shocked such a potent fragrance like CF could be somehow subtle on anybody

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    @AnthonyDG: I wonder too if I got a bad batch. When I spray CF, a very funny, rubber (not rubbery) note appears after ten minutes but disappears a few minutes after that. I'm left wondering, hmmm...where did that come from? (Although tuberose absolute is supposed to be reminiscent of blood, rubber and flesh ) My brother is in London now and I think I'm gonna have to tell him to bring me a sample of CF to compare. Thanks! I did not think of that! Oh, might as well tell him to bring me a sample of PoAL as well

    @Roberto: I have been commented on how wonderful I smelt when wearing CF, but that was during the first couple of hours! I'll wear it again in the next week as it's getting warmer, so I'll see how that plays out.

  13. #13

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Scent- yes I started a thread about it all- good memory!
    I guess you're right re. High percentages of absolutes. As CF has 25% tuberose absolute in it - technically it's extrait , I suppose, so I assume it'll have softer sillage . It's longevity remains a mystery to me still.
    I still love CF so much though.
    Actually, the 25% tuberose absolute only means that 25% of the concentrate is tuberose. The concentrate could though, just as an example, be at a 5%, 10%, 15% or 20% dilution (or some other number).
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  14. #14
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,343

    Default

    Thanks for that Sculpture! Interesting info.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  15. #15
    Olfacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    a large city in the Southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    286

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    I remember reading Octavian Coifan's post a couple of months ago about fakes. For some time now, we've only really been concerned about Chanel, but he was writing that niche perfumes can and will be duplicated, especially in Asia, and that the more popular "niche" scents might be the first. Isn't CF one of those? Maybe I'm just paranoid this morning, but what you are describing sounds more like a facsimile of CF than the real thing, which is a longevity monster on most people. Do you remember where you bought it?
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

  16. #16

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I've had CF for over two years and have worn it probably over a couple of dozen times. I've had issues with it, so hear me out. The opening spritz is sooo damn heady and it instantly causes olfactory fatigue, even when sprayed on the lower chest. But then the strangest thing happens...it dies down into a skin scent in about half an hour...a barely perceptible one I've tested this on my arm just to make sure I'm not experiencing olfactory fatigue and I'm not...it's there but it's so shy.The worst thing is, it doesn't last more than two hours or three tops (on some days, it disappears in an hour!!!!) I am not imagining things, I swear! Usually fragrances come back to life in the shower or with sweat, but once four hours after wearing a healthy amount of CF, I took a shower and could not smell one freakin trace of the damn thing! And this is really strange, given my skin holds onto even the lightest scents. If I spray with abandon, I would cause instant olfactory fatigue for hours, and finally when I can smell it, it dies. I tried to fix this by spraying on fabric, but on fabric, CF becomes very synthetic and loud, and stays in its topnotes for its entire duration. The other downside is that it's really oily and will cause damage to fabric, and that's it'll stay on that item of clothing for weeks or even months! I'll try wearing it a few more times, but each with a different approach and hopefully with some success. Do you think if I email Frederic Malle and explain my disappointment, they would maybe offer me a new bottle? That's it...thanks for hearing my rant
    What a shame CF does not hold on your skin! Email Frederic Malle. What do you have to lose? If they say no, you are no worse off (and can still call Barney's to see if they can help). If they say yes, then you will get a new bottle from a different batch.

  17. #17

    Default Re: My dilemma with Carnal Flower

    @Olfacta: I bought CF from Liberty in London, from their official FM boutique. I also purchased Musc Ravageur and Une Fleur de Cassie along with CF on that same day, and I've had no problems with their sillage or longevity. I think CF might just be a dud on my skin...I'll spray two sprays on someone and see how it develops and I'll report back This sure is a head scratcher, ain't it?!

    @ScultpureofSoul: You're correct about the 25% of the tuberose absolute that's is used in the concentrate, whereas also the concentrate makes up 25% of the fragrance. The rest is alcohol, water and whatever synthetics used these days. I guess that's where 25% confusion comes from.

    @OldSchoolCharm: I will email Malle as soon as I'm sure that my batch of CF is a bad one. My brother is going to bring me samples next week and I plan to do intensive testing! If I did in fact receive a bad batch, then all hell is gonna break loose at the Malle headquarters LOL!
    Last edited by scent; 22nd February 2011 at 01:53 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Carnal Flower: Do you Like The Dry-down?
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28th January 2009, 04:44 PM
  2. Carnal Flower...Should I? Shouldn't I?
    By serene111 in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 9th February 2007, 02:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •