Code of Conduct

Default Roses if roses don't like me?

I like the smell of actual roses, so let's get that out of the way first. I don't like rosewater in deserts, though. So don't like the taste at all.

But perfumes with roses in them, without exception, seem to go "off" on me and smell bad. By bad I mean kinda sour and unpleasant, still perceivable as rose but like if the rose had vomited or something.

With other sorts of perfumes, they seem to either sink in and smell good (woods, spices, musks) or sit on top of my skin and not really develop (some florals), or simply disappear, it's only roses that really seem to be bad. I mean there's plenty of stuff I don't like because of preference, but only roses I like but cannot wear.

Two questions:

Does this happen to anyone else?

Are there any perfumes that smell like rose but that you think might work if my skin usually rejects the roses?

Default Re: Roses if roses don't like me?

Maybe Parfum Sacre by Caron would work. It's spicy rose. Also Czech and Speake's # 88 might work. It's a darker rose with patchoulie among the notes.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-in-FL View Post
    But perfumes with roses in them, without exception, seem to go "off" on me and smell bad.
    Are there any perfumes that smell like rose but that you think might work if my skin usually rejects the roses?
    Which ones have you tried? I looked at your wardrobe "tried" list but there is not a lot on it yet.

Rose usually go sour on my skin too, but I've found two that I like

Costes by Hotel Costes: here the rose is blended well with spices, mainly pepper, it smells warm, sweet and peppery.

Cabaret by Gres: a woody rose, with incense, feels very comfy.

Hi 30Roses, so glad you looked at this.

I don't remember what I tried in the way-back that made me recognize the stinkyness, but I have been tentatively trying some lately...
    So far in recent days I have tried

Lyric Woman
    L'Inspiratrice
    Bollywood or Bust perfume oil
    Korres Rose Wood Blackcurrent Cyclamen

I think that's it - there are likely some more rose-ish samples in my box, I've not put all of those in the wardrobe yet. But also I am looking to get some more samples, in general, in early March so would like to try a few more as I'd like to end up with at least one that was rose-ey but wearable for me.

And thank you Ineespenes and FurryPine too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Maybe we should add you onto our 30 rose perfumes sampling group; there are 2 boxes going around and we have one backup member for one box-- if you like you can be the backup for the second box. Here is the thread; see if you have already tried most of these:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...0-Roses-amp-co.

Perhaps experimenting with different types of rose perfumes, to see if one type works.

woody roses: +1 Cabaret. Since they have woods in the base, they may not turn bad. Another woody rose is 1876 by Histoires de Parfums.

candied roses: Nahema by Guerlain
    big roses: Rive Gauche (woman).

And if you have access to a store that sells Parfums de Rosine, you can try the whole range, from light citrusy, to heavy. A favorite is Rose Twill (animalic base).

cacio

Thank you, I put the Costes in the sample order I'm making from Luckyscent and put a note in the 30 Roses from 30 Roses thread too, would be happy to be the backup for the second box, that would let me try some different roses.

And if none work at least I'll know...

Rose 31 by Le Labo is one that I've seen mentioned favorably by several people who say they have trouble with (or don't like) rose fragrances. It's a great fragrance. Lots of reviews online check 'em out!

I'm having the same experience like you with roses. The only types of roses that work for me are those from ouds like those in Montale line and those from Andy Tauer's creations: Incense Rose, Une Rose Chypree and Une Rose Vermeille

Lumiere Noire Pour Femme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    Also...try Lumiere Noire Pour Homme you might like it...

+ 1 for Nahema - according to (I think) Luca Turin it doesn't actually contain any real rose, so for that reason it might behave differently on your skin.

I would have to recommend a scent that doesn't have a Big rose smell and balances it out with other notes like Rosine's UNE ROSE AU BORD DE LA MER which is very summery, very fresh with a cirtucy opening and very oceanic(i don't want to use that other word) even a bit salty . Even though it has roses, it also has immortelle and jasmin for a balance.

cheers

LOL at you, castorpollux, aquatic is a NoNo, we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    LOL at you, castorpollux, aquatic is a NoNo, we know.
    hahaha! as long as you're laughing with me and not at me it's fine!

what did you think of the rec?

cheers

I am picky about roses, too. In fact, very much like you, I didn't think I liked roses at all until I came across some that converted me into a rose lover almost two years ago.

Here are some that I like and that are pretty versatile and easy to wear:

Hermessence Rose Ikebana: This is very fresh and uplifting. It's good for hot and humid weather, too. (I noticed you are in Florida). I am wearing it today

Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses: This is a calm and gentle, but deeper rose scent than the frivolous Rose Ikebana. It could be worn on different occasions. It's not going to offend anyone at least. There is a slight hint of soapiness in it, but it's very pleasant.

If you are looking for a "darker" rose, check out Jayne Ormonde Ta'if. It's fruity and spicy--a nice combination.

Check out By Kilian Rose Oud although this is pricey. Don't let the "oud" in it scare you. It is a lush, velvety rose with the oud note added to create some interesting dimension. (This is pretty rosy, though).

There are so many other options! I'd like to know what you chose eventually.

Don't worry about it, it's chemistry. You might want to try a sample of a natural rose scent and see what happens. I can't wear sweet, floral perfumes. They disappear on my skin or just smell like sugar water. My skin makes everything smell sweeter. I love the smell of White Flowers by Yosh. It's a big bouquet of flowers. On my skin, sugar soap. Also, the more synthetics used, the worse it will smell on my skin.