Code of Conduct

Default Next Vintages to Become "UBER" RARE?

Anybody care to speculate which vintage fragrance(s) will soon go from being difficult and costly to find to being next to impossible and unattainable for all intents and purposes?

Default Re: Next Vintages to Become "UBER" RARE?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Anybody care to speculate which vintage fragrance(s) will soon go from being difficult and costly to find to being next to impossible and unattainable for all intents and purposes?
    Creed "Vintage" Private Collection Tabarome
    Guerlain Vintage Derby EDT
    Guerlain Vintage Heritage EDP

I can't see any of these becoming easier to source as we move forward in time.

Martin

JULES!

Got mine last year for 50 €, the year before it was peaking at 35, last week one went for 81 and buy me now is already at 200 (i think) .

I believe it truly has PatouPH potential.
    Smellin good

After 2012, all of 'em
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    JULES!
    +1

Égoïste Cologne Concentrée - still relatively easy to get a hold on,
    but, not for long, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Égoïste Cologne Concentrée - still relatively easy to get a hold on,
    but, not for long, I think.
    Where? I haven't seen the Cologne Concentrée version of this anywhere.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

JULES!
    I'm not sure what is going on with Jules. I know that it is very difficult to come by in the U.S., and commands high prices there. Your comments make it sound like it is becoming scarce on the European market as well.

Here in Saudi Arabia it is available almost everywhere Dior products are sold. These bottles may be old stock and the shops may not be getting new ones, but there are plenty of them around, at least for now. I have several bottles stockpiled and may get a few more if it does indeed look like Jules is becoming more rare.

It is a really good fragrance, and pretty much fits the profile for discontinuation.

Are you looking for a good investment opportunity? Any of the above could become unattainable in the near future, some of them are already very hard to find (vintage n88, Blend 30, Dukes of Pall Mall..) but none of these will become as costly as Patou PH, IMO. The current ebay price of PPH has a lot to do with all the hype created on BN by reviewers of PPH - if someone reads these reviews they might get the impression it'll cure cancer or make a deaf man hear the sound of rain against the window...

Many vintage femme perfumes however, have become even costlier - vintage Tabac Blond, Bois des Iles, some Guerlains...esp. the extraits.

A good investment would be a quality east Indian sandalwood oil - if you can find any.
    Last edited by phibess; 22nd February 2011 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on with Jules. I know that it is very difficult to come by in the U.S., and commands high prices there. Your comments make it sound like it is becoming scarce on the European market as well.

Here in Saudi Arabia it is available almost everywhere Dior products are sold. These bottles may be old stock and the shops may not be getting new ones, but there are plenty of them around, at least for now. I have several bottles stockpiled and may get a few more if it does indeed look like Jules is becoming more rare.

It is a really good fragrance, and pretty much fits the profile for discontinuation.
    I´m not sure what´s going on either. Here in the south of france most perfumeries stock it. I´m not sure if it´s the old version or the new one. However, I started a thread recently to ask opinions on the differences between the old Jules and the new one and everybody replied that they were exactly the same, unchanged fragrance.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    Where? I haven't seen the Cologne Concentrée version of this anywhere.
    It pops up in the sale/trade forum here on BN regularly,
    and on the Bay, of course.

JULES!

Got mine last year for 50 €, the year before it was peaking at 35, last week one went for 81 and buy me now is already at 200 (i think) .

I believe it truly has PatouPH potential.
    The last time I checked, Jules was still widely available in France. Even Sephora, in Paris, stocks it.

Kouros Fraicheur seems to be getting year by year more rare. I feel sad for this, for me it`s the best kouros fragrance so far.
    And considering 10,15 years ahead, i wouldn`t be surprised if Dior Homme gets discontinued and rare to find.

From the feminine aisle, Kingdom, Nu Edp and Black Cashmere are fragrances that will also become very rare as the years pass us by

Nahéma (extrait) Guerlain. A beautiful underrated "dusty" rose fragrance. I have been assured that the extrait has been discontinued. I can really see this becoming the next Djedi - (depending on how much stock was produced and is still floating around out there).

Also, although most people are not aware of it, YSL Paris (extrait) has not been produced in over 15 years. Although it´s not the most popular of perfumes, once word gets around I think it could go way up. It is already extremely hard to find.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Creed Vetiver 48
    Windsor
    Pure Coffee

Banned

Seems that many of the perfumes mentioned are already rare vintages (Derby), and Jules is already rare in the US [side note: once can still pick it up easily in Paris and whenever a friend goes I have them bring me back a bottle]. If you look at most desirable vintages they are often limited-edition flankers (i.e. Antaeus Sport) or fragrances that were ahead of their time and were discontinued (D&G By Man). Something like Fahrenheit Absolute, if it were d/c'd, in a few years could be such a fragrance. Any of the Mugler LE scents, from the Pures to Angel Liqueur and the LE extraits are candidates. Tough to say.

Guerlain's Plus Que Jamais is already selling for nearly triple it's retail cost in 2009, and Attrape Couer was d/c'd in 2010 and it can sell for nearly double it's retail cost. I'd guess that almost any of the Les Parisienes, plus the d/c'd Sous le Vent and Vega, will be collectors items quickly.

Blog Entries

DK Fuel, the original.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Some seem to come and go. For example, I've seen Vetiver de Puig prices high, then low, now high again. Nobody can say for sure, it seems. I'd grab something special yet still occasionally selling very reasonably, like Acteur. If you have to "grow into it," so be it, but you can always swap it or sell it off a year or two from now and at least get your money back. I don't think BN is going anywhere! It's likely to just get bigger and bigger.

M7
    Havana
    Havana Reserva

I agree about Paris parfum: I've never seen a photo of the bottle. I thought perhaps it was only ever made as EdP! I'd classify that one as simply impossible to find, along with Apres l'ondee parfum. Even the EdT is hard to find.

I think the following are also getting difficult:

Attrape-Coeur
    Philtra d'Amour
    Plus que Jamais
    Shalimar Light
    Donna Karan signature (even the reissue)
    Feminité du bois

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Nahéma (extrait) Guerlain. A beautiful underrated "dusty" rose fragrance. I have been assured that the extrait has been discontinued. I can really see this becoming the next Djedi - (depending on how much stock was produced and is still floating around out there).

Also, although most people are not aware of it, YSL Paris (extrait) has not been produced in over 15 years. Although it´s not the most popular of perfumes, once word gets around I think it could go way up. It is already extremely hard to find.