Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: 'I only use 1 or 2 sprays.....' Huh??

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    less is more, as the popular saying goes.
    So, if 1 or 2 sprays is "more" than 6 sprays, then -
    1/3 to half a spray would be way-over-the-top more?

And putting 1/3 spray in the air and walking through it, should probably be banned because of the potency effect.

I think there is something not quite right about that old saying.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    even when i wear 5 sprays, people around me say they dont smell it.
    I've had this happen often too. If you wear too little, you're wasting your money as you may as well be wearing nothing IMO.

just now. 14 sprays of vetiver oriental by Serge Lutens. lool - at the office too - theres only 1 other person here since its so early - 6:55 am

As for wasting money or juice, I have sooo many bottles that I don't mind using them up. What else did I buy them for?

I respect those who suffice to very little application (for any reason) but I don't get full satisfaction if I'm not surrounded by my scent.

In fact, I discussed this with friends and I was told even when I thought I wore too much (my standard 6-8 sprays), they didn't smell much on me anyway.

Again, one has to use common sense. I wouldn't do this at a business meeting or a funeral. But regular work everyday, where almost all appreciate good scents, I enjoy myself.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    So you mean to say that when you read reviews saying the longevity is horrible, you'll assume they spray more rather than less, right?

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic. It's just that it's not us 2 spray guys that are ever complaining about longevity.
    Sort of. What i mean is that if i read reviews of particular frags which contain varying assessments of longevity then in my mind i discount for the "low-longevity" assessments. I know that some frags will have almost zero longevity even if i empty the bottle on myself. On the other hand, some low-longevity frags bow to the "more is more" dictat.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    As for wasting money or juice, I have sooo many bottles that I don't mind using them up. What else did I buy them for?

I respect those who suffice to very little application (for any reason) but I don't get full satisfaction if I'm not surrounded by my scent.

In fact, I discussed this with friends and I was told even when I thought I wore too much (my standard 6-8 sprays), they didn't smell much on me anyway.

Again, one has to use common sense. I wouldn't do this at a business meeting or a funeral. But regular work everyday, where almost all appreciate good scents, I enjoy myself.
    I fully agree, my logic and experiences are the same as yours

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    Holy crap 4 sprays for Tobacco Vanille? I only do one and I'm good for the entire day. I usually do 1-2 sprays for my heavy fragrances. For my lighter ones I usually end up spraying some on my clothes and that usually lasts a good 7-10 hours for me.
    I hear you on that. I recently re-sampled Tobacco Vanille on the top of my hand at the duty free before a flight.
    Wrong. That stuff is potent.
    However, I'm with the 2/3 sprays people, down to 1 for powerhouses. I'm living in a very warm place now, the only thing I allow myself to splash all over is Baby Cologne after shower!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I want to repeat this in hopes that some of the heavy sprayers can comment:

Isn't it ironic that it's never the 1-3 spray people who complain about longevity, and yet many who spray, 5, 7, heck, 10 or more times, complain about fragrances not lasting?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I want to repeat this in hopes that some of the heavy sprayers can comment:

Isn't it ironic that it's never the 1-3 spray people who complain about longevity, and yet many who spray, 5, 7, heck, 10 or more times, complain about fragrances not lasting?
    I dont recall reading how many sprays those who complain of longevity issues spray.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    I dont recall reading how many sprays those who complain of longevity issues spray.
    Same here. And, once again
    if i read reviews of particular frags which contain varying assessments of longevity then in my mind i discount for the "low-longevity" assessments
    the variance in assessments in longevity referred to are in Reviews, not thread posts.

I think, like gentlemen, we should appreciate that we are all different and agree to disagree, rather than trying to change each other or pursue needless arguments.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

true

delete

I usually only do 1~3 sprays.
    1 being if I'm not really doing anything and just want to smell nice to myself OR I am going to a very sombre event, 2~3 for every other occasion.

My skin tends to capture and project fragrance very well.

For over 40 years, I've always been using 4 - two to the neck and two to the wrists.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I use minimum of 4 sprays, but some strong scents 2 - 3 sprays.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé
    Currently wearing: Tribute Attar by Amouage

Going to sit in a crowded, hot bus for an hour today. Hence 8 sprays of Black Aoud Might be able to have some space for myself in the bus

I usually wear about 4-6 sprays of most scents, more or less depending on the scent Sometimes I do superspray Sundays, like I did today

Usually four sprays for me. Two on each pulse point on the neck and two to the chest hitting a large amount of fabric which helps longevity. I'm sure there are frags in summer I could get away with 6-8.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me 3 seems to be the magic number.
    +1
    3 is my standard. For some scents this is a bit stron however. Thinking of perles de lalique, cdg2, egoiste, ambra nobile...

Ighter stuff like voyage will get 5 sprays.

Banned

A total of four sprays - one to the chest, one on each side of the neck just below the earlobe, one to the back of my neck near my hairline.

If sillage, projection and longevity were genuinely better on average, I might consider this number of sprays.

I always go with 1, maybe 2 if I'm going to see friends, and that's plenty. With 1, I've gotten compliments in bars and clubs pretty frequently, and putting on 2 is just a gaurantee that everyone in my vicinity will take notice. Only once have I gone with 3 sprays, and I found it was overpowering (and I even had a coat on!). My girlfriend, who loved the scent, ended up wrinkling her nose. It's good to keep in mind that while you wear it everyday and are thus desensitized to it to a certain degree, people around you are not.

I think it largely depends on how large your atomizer is (mine's about the size of my fingertip). IMO, the max you'd need to get noticed by people within a couple feet of you (provided the frag is decently potent) is 3 sprays. Personally, I'd rather people be pleasantly surprised when they come closer to me than have my scent be shouted out to the world. Preferences vary, and if you've got a cloud that people around you don't find enjoyable, than it can be obtrusive.

1 spray to the chest for very strong fragrances. 2 (chest and back of neck) for strong fragrances. 3 (2 chest and back of neck) for most fragrances. 4 (2 chest, 1 back of neck, 1 right elbow, 1 left elbow) for light fragrances.

Most of you people need to go to an ENT doctor and see what the hell is blocking your olfactory bulb. Sheesh!

One spray for me and two at the most. I still smell Silver Mountain Water or Voyage d'Hermes on my shirts days later after one or two sprays.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Well, the person who finds my perfume stash at my estate sale (may God rest my soul) and they are all 90% full will be the lucky one.

1 on the base of my neck, and if I add another spray, it's at the top of my chest. It has always worked well for me. Sometimes I lose scents, but others have smelled lighter scents on me 12 hours later.

I just keep testing. The first time I wear a scent, I spray once on each wrist. Depending on how that experience goes, I may keep it that way...I may add 1-2 shots on my chest...I may add 1-2 shots on my neck. I keep testing until I feel it's just right.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

The only fragrance I use 2 sprays with is A&F Fierce. Everything else get's 3-4.
    Fierce isn't extremely strong, but it gets cloying EASILY.

Blog Entries

I do 4-5 sprays, but I add a spray or two in winter when I dress in layers.
    Currently wearing: Cuoio by Odori

2-4 for almost everything. 1 for TV and TL.

I don't understand how one could handle more than 1-2 sprays, possibly 3 for very light perfumes...I can usually feel a scent on someone even when they are not wearing any fragrance (scents tend to stick to clothes, and I often feel it wafting from scarves). I would find more than three sprays overwhelming on myself.
    I have noticed that the times when I have encountered someone who leaves a huge, overpowering scent-trail, it has more often been a man than a woman - something I find surprising. Maybe a lot of perfumes worn by men have components that desensitize the wearer, thus making over-spraying more likely to occur? Hope I am not stepping on any toes here...

I'm a 3-sprayer on average. One spray is just too little imo, maybe you could justify that with powerhouses like a*men le male.
    2-3 seem to get the job done for me most of the time though I will go 5-6 sometimes when going to a club/bar type setting.
    At two digit sprays I'd feel like a moving olfactory-catastrophy...