Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 'I only use 1 or 2 sprays.....' Huh??

I usually do 3-4 sprays, most of which are under my shirt. Less for some scents.
    Funny story...I was decanting some Pd'E Ambre Russe and some must have gotten on my countertop in the kitchen. I smelled Ambre Russe for 3-4 days as soon as I walked in the front door of my house. Now tell me you need more than 1 or 2 sprays of that one for people to smell you!

Depends on the fragrance for me. The only ones I spray more then 5 times are Central Park, Neroli Portofino, Azure Lime.
    Everything else gets 4 or less.
    Tobacco Vanille is only a 2 sprayer for me.

Huh, indeed!

I think those who use 1-2 (or even 3-4) sprays must have unusually sensitive noses or are overly concerned about offending others. I would get very little pleasure from fragrance if I sprayed like that.

Today I'm wearing 12 sprays of Chopard Noble Vetiver, which is a weak scent with low projection. Far from being too much, 12 sprays may not actually be enough!

While there are a few fragrances that I spray only once or twice or three or four times, my usual number of sprays is around 6-9. This is normally not too strong for me and I've never gotten a complaint from anyone about my fragrance being too strong. More often than not people have even said that they didn't realize that I was wearing any fragrance!

I don't really understand those who use only a few sprays. I would understand if they were using strong vintage fragrances from the '80s or earlier. But when using the majority of contemporary fragrances, which are considerably weaker and more watery than traditional fragrances, I just don't get it at all.

As a general comment I believe most people are too afraid to spray liberally, either from personal insecurity or from external pressures. This is especially true in the U.S., which seems to have developed Fear of Fragrance over the past 20 years, even to the point of banning fragrance wearing in certain workplaces and other public environments.

If one or two sprays satisfies you, then by all means do it! But please don't label me a "whore" for using 8 or 9 sprays!

I'm pretty heavy-handed myself, even with monsters like Carnal Flower. If I didn't want people to smell me I wouldn't wear fragrance at all! Interestingly, and contrary to popular belief, warm skin loses fragrance more quickly than cooler skin. I'm very hot blooded and I know that's why I sometimes have longevity issues. Heat breaks fragrance down, which is why they tell you to keep your juice in the fridge not the bathroom.

I can honestly smell every single one of my frags for 6-8 hours, often more, with a mere 1 or 2 sprays. I wonder if those who spray more copiously, regularly, begin to desensitize their nose over time.

I don't think I could convince anyone to do it, much the less enough people to make some kind of 'study' of it, but it would really interest me to see if those who spray a lot regularly would become more sensitive to scent if they took say, a week off from wearing anything, and then tried the 2 spray to the chest method.

I've nothing against those who want to wear more sprays if it truly doesn't become overpowering or 'invasive' - the thing I don't get is that for me, my own appreciation of the fragrance begins to diminish as more and more is sprayed on. It simply becomes too much. It's like music - louder is only better to a point. Then it becomes annoying, and shortly after that, painful. I find wearing 4+ sprays of most fragrances may aggravate others, but most importantly, it aggravates and annoys my own nose!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    12ml per spray?! What are you using, a water gun?! :-o
    Thanks I have amended the entry to 12 sprays per ml. Althought 12 ml per spray would be ideal for 4711.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    huh, indeed!

I think those who use 1-2 (or even 3-4) sprays must have unusually sensitive noses or are overly concerned about offending others. I would get very little pleasure from fragrance if i sprayed like that.

Today i'm wearing 12 sprays of chopard noble vetiver, which is a weak scent with low projection. Far from being too much, 12 sprays may not actually be enough!

While there are a few fragrances that i spray only once or twice or three or four times, my usual number of sprays is around 6-9. This is normally not too strong for me and i've never gotten a complaint from anyone about my fragrance being too strong. More often than not people have even said that they didn't realize that i was wearing any fragrance!

I don't really understand those who use only a few sprays. I would understand if they were using strong vintage fragrances from the '80s or earlier. But when using the majority of contemporary fragrances, which are considerably weaker and more watery than traditional fragrances, i just don't get it at all.

As a general comment i believe most people are too afraid to spray liberally, either from personal insecurity or from external pressures. This is especially true in the u.s., which seems to have developed fear of fragrance over the past 20 years, even to the point of banning fragrance wearing in certain workplaces and other public environments.

If one or two sprays satisfies you, then by all means do it! But please don't label me a "whore" for using 8 or 9 sprays!
    here here!!

Minimum is 8.
    2 on each sleeve, 2 to the neck and 2 on my chest. This is when im not in the mood.
    Usually 10-12 sprays! The extra are under my sleeves and more on the chest area.

If im not floating in a cloud of my perfume, then its just not worth it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Do some guys really only use 1 or 2 sprays even for strong scents???
    I have terrible 'fragrance skin', where some scents just never last (like Musc Ravageur) but i use 4 sprays of Tobacco Vanille alone on my neck.

I spray liberally, for the lighter scents i spray like my sister at times, everywhere! on my face even! (yes i know)

anyone else not with this 'one or two sprays is all you need' talk? i use a 4 spray minimum on ALL of my fragrances
    I'm with you on this. I need to use some sprays if i want to get something out of the fragrance. Maybe Tobacco Vanilla is the only one i get away with only 4 sprays. Black Aoud too perhaps.

I'm wearing 3-4 sprays of Ambre Sultan right now and it's soft, not loud or cloying, if i wanted to get noticed today, i'd used more sprays.

Usually 3-6 sprays for me - it really depends on how potent I feel the fragrance is. The only fragrance I own, where I would feel satisfied with only one spray would be Profumum's Vanitas.

2 sprays normally. 3 sprays when going out. More then enough for me.

I do come across people who put on way too much; the ones who suffocate you even when you walk like a good 10 meters behind them on a windy day. Never is a nice smell either.

I, too, have terrible scent skin and am in the "overkill department" as others might refer to it

4 spays minimun (ambre Sultan and the likes) up to 8, even 10 (Cool Water, Bergamot etc)
    Smellin good

Remember, that for other people, it's most likely their first sniff of a fragrance you are wearing. Don't let the curse of knowledge fool you, ie. don't attribute your own experience and knowledge to other people. We often let this happen; I have noticed that after getting to enjoy a scent I didn't like at first, I'm more inclined to spray it a lot, forgetting that it's the first time for people around me.

First time I smelled for example Montale's ouds, I didn't think they smelled god per se, just kind of interesting. People around you aren't approaching fragrances with an open-minded curiosity like you are. To their nose, it's all about instinctive first reaction, which often is, that fragrances we have had to grow to love simply stinks. This is important when I'm considering how much I spray. It doesn't really matter how much I splash or spritz, say, Guerlain's Imperiale. Vintage Route du Vetiver then again, can be kind of harsh to a more inexperienced nose. It's not only about the strength of a fragrance, but also the way it smells.

My argument is, that sometimes curse of knowledge described above leads people to spray loads of fragrances that shouldn't be worn in such quantities around uneducated noses. This is obviously just one form of overapplying, but many of the others have been discussed a lot already. I came up with this idea, when I noticed I've started to wear certain scents a little bit more liberally. I think there might be some truth to this.

Noggs, you said spraying lightly is about personal insecurity or external pressure. It sometimes could be, but generally I disagree with the insecurity part. I think it's more about being considerate towards others than anything else; being self-conscious should not be mixed with insecurity. About external pressure, in a way it is just that, but it's the kind of external pressure one should respond to. Namely, by not harassing others with his fragrance.

What is too much also depends on a country. People here in Finland aren't that used to strong scents. This leads to me being self-conscious about my fragrance. This is, in my opinion, right kind of self-consciousness.

So, I'm a light sprayer. What about my own pleasure?, you ask. I ALWAYS spray my wrist or the back of my hand and sniff myself constantly, ending up looking like a pervert.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 23rd February 2011 at 11:29 AM.

I think a lot depends on where you spray as well. I'll often go 1 or 2 to the chest, and then put a shirt on shortly thereafter (which inevitably soaks up a bit of the frag and/or slows its absorption into the air. I'll supplement with the wrists or neck as necessary.

I wore 2 sprays of Amber Absolute yesterday morning (almost 22:00 ago), and I can still smell it on myself with relative ease.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

2-3 sprays is a maximum for me, except if I go clubbing, than that maximum might be 5.

I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment and for people that are standing close to me.

People who claim that they have bad skin and wear more than 5 sprays for every fragrance just have a bad nose.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

No further arguments or trying to convince others of what i think is the ideal number of sprays, but since joining Basenotes and learning about the 1-2 spray phenomenon, it has helped me interpret reviews a bit more precisely, especially when it comes to reviewers' assessments of longevity. What has been attributed to differences in "skin chemistry" on the boards and in reviews may mainly be due to differences in application volumes and techniques.

Vive la difference.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

This reminded me of a post from last year. Let me remind, and entertain, you!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/262...ow-many-sprays
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I only spray 1,2 with Black Aoud because it's very dangerous, but with others never less than 3.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

At least 5 sprays for me. Never would I dream of using just 2 or 3. With some of the 'weaker' scents, it could be up to 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    At least 5 sprays for me. Never would I dream of using just 2 or 3. With some of the 'weaker' scents, it could be up to 7 or 8.
    Together we stand.

Depends on the scent. 4-5 maybe even 6 for the very light fragrances I have, and 2 to 3 max for heavier fragrances.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

5. chest, wrists, behind both ears. If it's a strong scent, 1 wrist is shared, 1 to the chest, and instead of both ears, I spray in my hand and spread to both ears.

I only spray 1-2 sprays ..... per appendage including fingers and toes. But seriously, I did try the Chest method past 2 days and I have to say that it's working for my own pleasure at least. I seem to be able to catch whiffs of it much longer into the day so far and I think partly because a bit is getting on the inside of my shirt but it's very nice.

Not sure how it affects other peoples enjoyment I am sure I am knocking down my usual sillage by a ways by doing that but for SURE I can smell it more often during the day this way. Aventus is still playing hide and seek today but going on 6 hours I am still catching faint pineapple whiffs when usually it's gone for me in 2 hours max probably from the anosmia that's rampant with this frag.

I am definitely moving towards the Chest spray for now and maybe back of the neck if I want to amp it up for other stuff.

If you haven't tried it, give it a go. Did pure havane yesterday 3 solid sprays to the chest and just threw a shirt on and it was there all day long and when I took my shirt off still got nice whiffs 12 hours later.

For others smelling me I would still amp it up and probably spray on some clothes but for ME, I am smelling it more by the Chest shots now for sure.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

fountain

less is more, as the popular saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    Ah; but sometimes, more really is more.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Anybody from anywhere where it's never really hot (like the UK) go by the "only one or two" rule?

Just trying to work out if it's just an "only it warm countries" rule.
    Yeah, I only usually spray 2 sprays max. But the scents that I wear are stronger ie, Pure Malt, Prada Amber, Guerlain Homme Intense EDP would all be 2 sprays only. But if i were to go out to a bar or clubbing then it would be 4 maximum depending on how strong the fragrance is.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    No further arguments or trying to convince others of what i think is the ideal number of sprays, but since joining Basenotes and learning about the 1-2 spray phenomenon, it has helped me interpret reviews a bit more precisely, especially when it comes to reviewers' assessments of longevity. What has been attributed to differences in "skin chemistry" on the boards and in reviews may mainly be due to differences in application volumes and techniques.

Vive la difference.
    So you mean to say that when you read reviews saying the longevity is horrible, you'll assume they spray more rather than less, right?

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic. It's just that it's not us 2 spray guys that are ever complaining about longevity.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It is okay to disagree about this. I need to go spray again.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

today i used the most sprays ive used in a while.

2 on the chest, 2 on the neck, 1 on the shirt with Dolce and Gabbana The One

even when i wear 5 sprays, people around me say they dont smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    So, if 1 or 2 sprays is "more" than 6 sprays, then -
    1/3 to half a spray would be way-over-the-top more?

And putting 1/3 spray in the air and walking through it, should probably be banned because of the potency effect.

I think there is something not quite right about that old saying.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    even when i wear 5 sprays, people around me say they dont smell it.
    I've had this happen often too. If you wear too little, you're wasting your money as you may as well be wearing nothing IMO.

just now. 14 sprays of vetiver oriental by Serge Lutens. lool - at the office too - theres only 1 other person here since its so early - 6:55 am

As for wasting money or juice, I have sooo many bottles that I don't mind using them up. What else did I buy them for?

I respect those who suffice to very little application (for any reason) but I don't get full satisfaction if I'm not surrounded by my scent.

In fact, I discussed this with friends and I was told even when I thought I wore too much (my standard 6-8 sprays), they didn't smell much on me anyway.

Again, one has to use common sense. I wouldn't do this at a business meeting or a funeral. But regular work everyday, where almost all appreciate good scents, I enjoy myself.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    So you mean to say that when you read reviews saying the longevity is horrible, you'll assume they spray more rather than less, right?

I'm honestly not trying to be sarcastic. It's just that it's not us 2 spray guys that are ever complaining about longevity.
    Sort of. What i mean is that if i read reviews of particular frags which contain varying assessments of longevity then in my mind i discount for the "low-longevity" assessments. I know that some frags will have almost zero longevity even if i empty the bottle on myself. On the other hand, some low-longevity frags bow to the "more is more" dictat.

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    As for wasting money or juice, I have sooo many bottles that I don't mind using them up. What else did I buy them for?

I respect those who suffice to very little application (for any reason) but I don't get full satisfaction if I'm not surrounded by my scent.

In fact, I discussed this with friends and I was told even when I thought I wore too much (my standard 6-8 sprays), they didn't smell much on me anyway.

Again, one has to use common sense. I wouldn't do this at a business meeting or a funeral. But regular work everyday, where almost all appreciate good scents, I enjoy myself.
    I fully agree, my logic and experiences are the same as yours

Quote Originally Posted by luvinfragsguy View Post
    Holy crap 4 sprays for Tobacco Vanille? I only do one and I'm good for the entire day. I usually do 1-2 sprays for my heavy fragrances. For my lighter ones I usually end up spraying some on my clothes and that usually lasts a good 7-10 hours for me.
    I hear you on that. I recently re-sampled Tobacco Vanille on the top of my hand at the duty free before a flight.
    Wrong. That stuff is potent.
    However, I'm with the 2/3 sprays people, down to 1 for powerhouses. I'm living in a very warm place now, the only thing I allow myself to splash all over is Baby Cologne after shower!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I want to repeat this in hopes that some of the heavy sprayers can comment:

Isn't it ironic that it's never the 1-3 spray people who complain about longevity, and yet many who spray, 5, 7, heck, 10 or more times, complain about fragrances not lasting?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I want to repeat this in hopes that some of the heavy sprayers can comment:

Isn't it ironic that it's never the 1-3 spray people who complain about longevity, and yet many who spray, 5, 7, heck, 10 or more times, complain about fragrances not lasting?
    I dont recall reading how many sprays those who complain of longevity issues spray.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    I dont recall reading how many sprays those who complain of longevity issues spray.
    Same here. And, once again
    if i read reviews of particular frags which contain varying assessments of longevity then in my mind i discount for the "low-longevity" assessments
    the variance in assessments in longevity referred to are in Reviews, not thread posts.

I think, like gentlemen, we should appreciate that we are all different and agree to disagree, rather than trying to change each other or pursue needless arguments.

#BBOG!

true

delete

I usually only do 1~3 sprays.
    1 being if I'm not really doing anything and just want to smell nice to myself OR I am going to a very sombre event, 2~3 for every other occasion.

My skin tends to capture and project fragrance very well.

For over 40 years, I've always been using 4 - two to the neck and two to the wrists.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I use minimum of 4 sprays, but some strong scents 2 - 3 sprays.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Going to sit in a crowded, hot bus for an hour today. Hence 8 sprays of Black Aoud Might be able to have some space for myself in the bus

I usually wear about 4-6 sprays of most scents, more or less depending on the scent Sometimes I do superspray Sundays, like I did today
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Usually four sprays for me. Two on each pulse point on the neck and two to the chest hitting a large amount of fabric which helps longevity. I'm sure there are frags in summer I could get away with 6-8.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me 3 seems to be the magic number.
    +1
    3 is my standard. For some scents this is a bit stron however. Thinking of perles de lalique, cdg2, egoiste, ambra nobile...

Ighter stuff like voyage will get 5 sprays.

Banned

A total of four sprays - one to the chest, one on each side of the neck just below the earlobe, one to the back of my neck near my hairline.

If sillage, projection and longevity were genuinely better on average, I might consider this number of sprays.

I always go with 1, maybe 2 if I'm going to see friends, and that's plenty. With 1, I've gotten compliments in bars and clubs pretty frequently, and putting on 2 is just a gaurantee that everyone in my vicinity will take notice. Only once have I gone with 3 sprays, and I found it was overpowering (and I even had a coat on!). My girlfriend, who loved the scent, ended up wrinkling her nose. It's good to keep in mind that while you wear it everyday and are thus desensitized to it to a certain degree, people around you are not.

I think it largely depends on how large your atomizer is (mine's about the size of my fingertip). IMO, the max you'd need to get noticed by people within a couple feet of you (provided the frag is decently potent) is 3 sprays. Personally, I'd rather people be pleasantly surprised when they come closer to me than have my scent be shouted out to the world. Preferences vary, and if you've got a cloud that people around you don't find enjoyable, than it can be obtrusive.

1 spray to the chest for very strong fragrances. 2 (chest and back of neck) for strong fragrances. 3 (2 chest and back of neck) for most fragrances. 4 (2 chest, 1 back of neck, 1 right elbow, 1 left elbow) for light fragrances.

Most of you people need to go to an ENT doctor and see what the hell is blocking your olfactory bulb. Sheesh!

One spray for me and two at the most. I still smell Silver Mountain Water or Voyage d'Hermes on my shirts days later after one or two sprays.

Maybe I'm just lucky. Well, the person who finds my perfume stash at my estate sale (may God rest my soul) and they are all 90% full will be the lucky one.

1 on the base of my neck, and if I add another spray, it's at the top of my chest. It has always worked well for me. Sometimes I lose scents, but others have smelled lighter scents on me 12 hours later.

I just keep testing. The first time I wear a scent, I spray once on each wrist. Depending on how that experience goes, I may keep it that way...I may add 1-2 shots on my chest...I may add 1-2 shots on my neck. I keep testing until I feel it's just right.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

The only fragrance I use 2 sprays with is A&F Fierce. Everything else get's 3-4.
    Fierce isn't extremely strong, but it gets cloying EASILY.

Blog Entries

I do 4-5 sprays, but I add a spray or two in winter when I dress in layers.

2-4 for almost everything. 1 for TV and TL.

I don't understand how one could handle more than 1-2 sprays, possibly 3 for very light perfumes...I can usually feel a scent on someone even when they are not wearing any fragrance (scents tend to stick to clothes, and I often feel it wafting from scarves). I would find more than three sprays overwhelming on myself.
    I have noticed that the times when I have encountered someone who leaves a huge, overpowering scent-trail, it has more often been a man than a woman - something I find surprising. Maybe a lot of perfumes worn by men have components that desensitize the wearer, thus making over-spraying more likely to occur? Hope I am not stepping on any toes here...

I'm a 3-sprayer on average. One spray is just too little imo, maybe you could justify that with powerhouses like a*men le male.
    2-3 seem to get the job done for me most of the time though I will go 5-6 sometimes when going to a club/bar type setting.
    At two digit sprays I'd feel like a moving olfactory-catastrophy...