Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'I only use 1 or 2 sprays.....' Huh??

4-6 normally - 2 chest, 2 neck and 2 to wrists

But for Aventus: 2 sprays tops! 1 under the shirt and 1 on back of neck.

Tobacco Vanille and Original Santal etc are 2-3 sprays max.

Post Thanks / Like

4 is usually my magic number.
    Hey BN'ers come check out my blog/channel for reviews/unboxings/first impressions! Feel free to subscribe and, thanks much. TheScentNose.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScentNose?feature=mhee

Post Thanks / Like

I think at least some of the argument and variance here can be attributed to one material factor which people seem to be overlooking. I mean we can talk about skin and we can talk about noses, but in the end these are factors that are difficult to quantify. Concentration however and the relative potency of fragrances is something material and quantifiable in an undeniable sense.

You may say that 1-2 sprays is always enough. It may be given your collection. You might say 6-8. I think everyone is right up to a point.

For example I find 1-2 sprays is enough when it comes to vintage Givenchy Gentleman EDT, Joop! Homme or vintage Worth Pour Homme / Pour Homme Haute Concentration. On the other hand 1-2 sprays of CK Be, a Roger & Gallet cologne, or Noble Vetiver would not be enough. This is my personal experience so we know the nose and skin isn't changing, but when you toss those variables into the mix as well you're multiplying the effect of each.

If all perfumes had the same concentration and potency it would make sense to create arbitrary rules about application. This is simply not the case though.

I feel I should add that when it comes to fragrance I'm no projection junky. There is room in my wardrobe for a number of very light scents, and so long as I can smell them myself even if only at whiles then I'm satisfied.

Post Thanks / Like

1-2 max. Any more than that and you're gonna be 'that guy', the one everyone is thinking 'damn he reeks' but won't be rude enough to say it to your face. again, just because it's our hobby doesn't mean it's shared by everyone else. i try to be respectful of that, especially when i know i'm going to be in close quarters with others.

Post Thanks / Like

If 2 is the max, I might as well not own any cologne. 3 to 5 is the range for me from low to high, dependent on the scent.

As hednic points out, 3 is pretty much the magic number for everything. I believe he is right.

Post Thanks / Like

You do 4 sprays of Tobacco Vanille? Are you trying to get in trouble? I do 2-3 never above 4.

A scent should be
    1 for personal enjoyment
    2 intimate encounters (as in within 2 metres)

Sillage and longevity are only secondary aspects, please don't dismiss the artistic value just because it's not "functionally adequate".

Depends on the strength of the frag and the type of atomizer. I have some small sample atomizers that don't put out a huge amount of juice. If I only sprayed once or twice with those, no matter the scent, I'd likely only smell it for an hour. However, if I sprayed more than 3 times with the creed atomizer on my 100ml bottle of GIT, I'd start choking people out in the first few hours (I know, because I accidentally did that when I first got the bottle). I'd say on average, if we're considering the average frag strength & average atomizer, 3's usually a good number for me, as I tend to prefer applying on the conservative side. I of course have some weaker frags that I can apply liberally, but for most it's 3, max 4.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use 1-2. Always one on my neck if it's a strong scent, and additional one to my wrist (then rub wrists together) if it's a weaker scent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miket View Post
    ...If all perfumes had the same concentration and potency it would make sense to create arbitrary rules about application. This is simply not the case though...
    Very well said, Miket.

I've enjoyed reading this entire thread as it gives me a lot to think about. Going back to the original post and question, I too find that I have difficulties with longevity and projection for many EDTs and can respect the need for more application per person, depending on a multitude of variables, as Miket said. Long story short, to each his own... test, try and find what works for you!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I'm not obsessed, I'm passionately intrigued. The difference is how much money I have available to spend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    Depends on the strength of the frag and the type of atomizer.
    Finally!

And also a host of other factors like how I feel, what the weather is like, where I am going to be that day or evening, who I will be with etc. etc. etc. It is also actually possible to wear one spritz of Perfume X one day and several spritzes another day, you know - it's called personal choice and I have lived to tell the tale.

Laying out some sort of mandate for a 'fixed norm' of only wearing 2, or 3, or 4 spritzes or whatever is one of the most absurd things I have come across here. It just presumes so much with so little understanding of the whole gamut of fragrances on offer, the effects of the compositional elements and their relative concentrations, cultural context and so many other variables that it is at best naiive and at worst dangerously ignorant.

Of course, if you can't judge for yourself how much or how little to wear based on your knowledge and appreciation of the perfume in hand and the social and physical environment you find yourself in then the problem probably runs deeper than this thread will ever be able to address.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Finally!

And also a host of other factors like how I feel, what the weather is like, where I am going to be that day or evening, who I will be with etc. etc. etc. It is also actually possible to wear one spritz of Perfume X one day and several spritzes another day, you know - it's called personal choice and I have lived to tell the tale.

Laying out some sort of mandate for a 'fixed norm' of only wearing 2, or 3, or 4 spritzes or whatever is one of the most absurd things I have come across here. It just presumes so much with so little understanding of the whole gamut of fragrances on offer, the effects of the compositional elements and their relative concentrations, cultural context and so many other variables that it is at best naiive and at worst dangerously ignorant.

Of course, if you can't judge for yourself how much or how little to wear based on your knowledge and appreciation of the perfume in hand and the social and physical environment you find yourself in then the problem probably runs deeper than this thread will ever be able to address.
    There you go making sense and being reasonable again...
    Mark K

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me 3 seems to be the magic number.
    THIS.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind, asking people on a perfume forum how many sprays they use is like asking people on an alcohol forum how much they drink. The answers will vary wildly.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Keep in mind, asking people on a perfume forum how many sprays they use is like asking people on an alcohol forum how much they drink. The answers will vary wildly.
    Of course, I get it. My point is simply are you talking Bud Lite, an '83 Bordeaux or Chivas Blue Label? Are you at the beach at 3 in the afternoon, an intimate dinner or a Robbie Burns Appreciation Society evening in Edinburgh in the middle of winter?

I average 3-4. Never been in the 1-2 spray camp. I do only 2 for extremely strong fragrances on my skin (e.g. Musc Ravageur, Santal 33), but this is exceptional. For Summer fragrances (e.g.) Millesime Imperial I can do up to 8.
    Last edited by Jridgen; 15th October 2012 at 05:57 AM.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Avignon_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Lumiere Noire_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    .........I have terrible 'fragrance skin'..........
    It's the nose.

Seems like everyone who's been around here less the two or three years thinks everything has poor "projection and longevity". In fact, it's damn near all they talk about. Come back in a few years and tell me the same thing. It won't happen, because you have to learn to smell, and with time and consistently smelling a wide variety of fragrances you probably will.

Finally!

Good one.

Less is more, but I want the thing to perform in a satisfying way. These guys spraying massive amounts are probably saying a lot more than most people want to hear, no matter how many "compliments" you get.

-
    Last edited by pluran; 15th October 2012 at 07:16 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

depends. you can use 5 or 6 sprays if you wait an hour before going out.

but if apply right before you go out, anything more than 2 sprays is excessive

Post Thanks / Like

25 of Aventus, this morning!
    Last edited by Francolino; 15th October 2012 at 09:50 AM.
    "Why should I care?...Why should I care?..."

5:15 - Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

4 spray minimum here. 2 to the neck, one to the chest, and one to the lower arm, and rub that in. If they re lighter fragrances i'll add a couple more blasts. I am selfish, i wear it for me, so i like to be able to smell it.

There are only a couple of fragrances i wouldn't do 4 sprays of, from experience. Original Poison is horrible with 2 sprays, i can't imagine how overpowering 4 would be, and Opium, i nearly choked myself, and innocent bystanders a few weeks ago with 4 aprays of that.

Basenotes Junkie Profumo Saggio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Maybe i just have the worst skin ever, but anything under 3 sprays and I cant smell a thing....
    Try using a good fragrance free moisturizer or lotion before applying fragrance. Dry skin soaks up the oils in fragrance, making them disappear.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

but if apply right before you go out, anything more than 2 sprays is excessive
    Not always true. Depends on the person, skin, weather, situation, etc. I put on about 7 sprays of M7 just before leaving the house this morning. My co-workers (four people sitting within ten square feet of me) have affirmed that they can't smell it at all, although I can.