Code of Conduct

Default First date: Which fragrance to go for?

Hi all, I will be taking a lady out for a drink one night this week and just wanted a bit of advice on which scent to go for. I want to stay away from the mainstream ones like 1 million and Le Male as I don't want to smell like everyone else or remind her of someone! I have a few nice ones already:

YSL La Nuit
    Terre D'Hermes
    Versace PH

I also love D&G The One and will be buying a new bottle of that soon. Which frag would you go for on a first date? I'm 29 and she's a few years older than me so don't want something too 'young' smelling, just a nice fresh scent that's a little seductive too.

Thanks
    Last edited by trademarc; 28th June 2014 at 11:36 AM.

Default Re: First date: Which fragrance to go for?

From your 3 choices, Terre d'Hermes is the clear winner.

From your list I'd say it's close between La Nuit & Terre d'Hermes.

However, I'd say the Hermes is the slightly less 'mainstream' of the two.

Personally not a fan of those, but for your purposes I'd say the YSL would be the best fit. It's always difficult to generalize, but a good number of women seem to like sweet fragrances. The Versace is a bit sharp, and TDH has a particular note that tends to bother some people, regardless of all the hype here in BN. Note, my comments relate to EDT versions of La Nuit and TDH.

TDH or La Nuit

Hurry and go get that bottle of D&G The One.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

From your choices, I would go with TDH.

If she is a BNer- TDH

If she is not a BNer- La Nuit

La Nuit would be my choice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

All of the ones you mentioned are great fragrances, but I would personally go with either Nuit or The One for your date. I love and own all of the fragrances you mentioned, but The One is very sensual and it's low projection is great for moments when she leans in a little closer. It's one of my favorite fragrances!

The one, if you get the new bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Agreed.

I'd go with La Nuit.

I prefer TdH and Versace, but for a date I think La Nuit is the best choice and it also seems to have the most favorable reaction from women.

La Nuit. Good date scent, but TDH has an "oldish" vibe to me, but I know I'm in the minority.
    Last edited by Draven; 28th June 2014 at 06:09 PM.

From your choices La Nuit, but go light 2 sprays or so.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

It doesn't matter, the only smell she's interested in is the smell of your money to help her raise her kids. If she doesn't have any then she's only interested in masking the smell of her own desperation to find a man to help her make kids. You could show up after not showering for three days and she probably wouldn't mention it. A 29 year old single man with no kids is a dream come true for a 30 plus year old. It's like she hit the jackpot.

Basenotes Plus

Ouch.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    It doesn't matter, the only smell she's interested in is the smell of your money to help her raise her kids. If she doesn't have any then she's only interested in masking the smell of her own desperation to find a man to help her make kids. You could show up after not showering for three days and she probably wouldn't mention it. A 29 year old single man with no kids is a dream come true for a 30 plus year old. It's like she hit the jackpot.
    Hmmm... it may be time to find your protective cup and brace for impact.

Anyway... back on topic... IMO, the best first date fragrance is something very clean and even soapy.
    Get yourself a bottle of Infusion d'Homme by Prada or Gendarme.
    Very, very hard to go wrong with these and they would be a good addition to your collection.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I've gone ahead and summoned a bellhop for you as you're clearly carrying too much baggage.

Back to the OP, it's Terre d'Hermes by a mile. La Nuit is the most mainstream frag on your list and the Versace is just unappealing, IMO.

I feel this is enough of a reason to start a thread on colognes that smell like money.
    But on a serious note ive sampled both terre de hermes and la nuit, and I would go with la nuit

Ysl La nuit
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

La Nuit! The One would be excellent also. Good luck on your date this evening dude!

Blog Entries

My 1st choice would be Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum.

2nd choice: The One for Men by D&G

And to think i got crap for using the word mi&f!

That's not always the case.. older women are awesome. They're more financially stable so they don't need a man to support them & most are over the whole badboy,clubbing/bar hopping phase and just want a nice guy to settle down with. And if she does have any kids they're probably already close to 18 & getting ready to move out or go to college. The younger ones are the ones you gotta worry about. Oh and go with la nuit ;-)
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 29th June 2014 at 03:48 AM.

La Nuit by far, for me. Not only do I like it better personally, but it is a serious compliment getter from women. D&G The One is on the same level, but not TdH or VpH... not that they're bad, but La Nuit & The One are simply top-of-the-foodchain, apex predators for first dates. They smell amazing, just romantic enough.
    Last edited by Uvalde; 29th June 2014 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    The One is very sensual and it's low projection is great for moments when she leans in a little closer. It's one of my favorite fragrances!
    plus it's a mature scent.

I'd go with La nuit - women love it. In my honest opinion TdH is too serious for a intimate meeting and VPH is too "bright" and summery.

well if you want your girl to think anything about you except something romantic take TdH
    summery evening VPH is great, otherwise La Nuit ofcourse

About 15 sprays of D&G The One. I did that once with the wife and it was perfect projection and longevity, not too much not too little. Make sure to get a few spritz on the clothes.

Definitely YSL La Nuit EDT, it does magic!!!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Terre d'Hermes

I'm not sure how TDH is getting all this love, EVERY woman I know dislikes it. My vote is La Nuit.

Thanks guys some mixed opinions but I can definitely take Versace PH out of the equation. I do agree that d'Hermes might come across as quite 'serious' for an evening drink, almost as if I'm trying to appear more mature being that she's older than me. At the moment I'm torn between La Nuit and The One... :S

D&G the one, no offense, is fantastic to smell but longevity is literally within minutes....Save your money on that one and pick up Bentley Intense or perhaps Frank no.2 Los Angeles....Much better longevity, sillage and quality....You will thank me later...

Terre D'hermes is by far the better choice for first date...She will love you long time....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Terre d'Hermes.