Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Serge lutens nombre noir

Patou Pour Homme has attained a cult status, but one of Serge Lutens first creations Nombre Noir is also way up there.
    Has this more to do with appraisal from Luca Turin, Serge Lutens genious, or both ?
    What are your views on this ebay "high-flyer" ?
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serge lutens nombre noir

Turin certainly has something to do with that - at least where I live. But send me a sample and I'll be happy to reply to the second part of your question. :-)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Narcus !..............I don´t belive it !!.....you´re back !!!
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

It's especially the extrait who worth the buying imo. There was recently a good auction: http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=200573449624
    There is mini on ebay but the juice has often turned bad.
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 12th March 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been fortunate enough to smell this yet, but it is on my list of rare gems that I am very curious about (up there with Djedi). I am sure Luca Turin name-dropping Nombre Noir in his blog has piqued many fragrance maniacs interest.

I owned the 4ml EdP mini, something about it smells like a face cream.

I bought a sample of the EdP from TPC a while ago and I was very disappointed. It is just overall not my kind of perfume, but I don't like Feminite du Bois (the original) as well as the Bois series (the ones I have tried) either.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Turin is fond of the parfum version of Nombre Noir, which is more dramatic than the edp, that seems more classical to me, a fragrance which is mainly a flowery aldehidic composition amped by a good dose of rose and osmanthus. The aldehidic aspects are very evident on the edp and less on the parfum version, that has a more woody, dark, chypre aura, and where you can get the winey and dark aspect of the rose-osmanthus accord very evident. Sincerly, if you don`t like aldehydes, roses, bitter notes, the chances that you like nombre noire are low. Is it worth the crazy price? It depends on how you love it, sincerely. I have the impression that legends are created upon the intense love that some get for it, matched with the difficulty of purchasing it. For me it`s a solid creation, classic, a woody floral that fits like a glove gala events where you need something complex, classic, outstanding but not overwhelming.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs to bring this one back under the Serge Lutens banner. This is THE rare fragrance I most want to sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Calero, i suspect that this is hard to happen, but it`d be great, even if it was a limited edition. The most close you get from nombre is Rose de Nuit, altough Rose lacks the dark fruity-rosy rich aroma of the original and it`s more focused, at least for me, on the aldehidic woody structure of nombre noire.
    Sometimes 4ml minis of the edp pops on ebay auctions for better prices. Also, if you are lucky you may found an auction of the pure parfum. It`s rare to happen, but it happens. I won a 5ml portable spray of the pure parfum this way, on an auction that gone unnoticed on a ebay site outside usa.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    The most close you get from nombre is Rose de Nuit, altough Rose lacks the dark fruity-rosy rich aroma of the original and it`s more focused, at least for me, on the aldehidic woody structure of nombre noire.
    Who else thinks that Rose de Nuit is close to Nombre Noir?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    He needs to bring this one back under the Serge Lutens banner. This is THE rare fragrance I most want to sample.
    I echo this thought - bring it back !
    (However, like Larimar- I don't particularly like Feminite du Bois. Larimar- we have such similar taste - it's so weird. But really we do ! )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I know little about it (beyond Turin's effusive praise), but the ad is one of the most striking I've ever seen:

Yes, Mimi, I was just thinking the same thing again when you posted our food likings recently

etoile, the Nombre Noir EdP sample wasn't really similar to Rose de Nuit, which is now my absolute favorite from the Lutens. Rose de Nuit has a warmth and 'lacquer and leather', as I put it , quality. The cedar must be a big player in NN and not much rose according to my nose, but I think I still have something left in my sample.
    subhuman, that add is yes, most striking! Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I echo this thought - bring it back !
    (However, like Larimar- I don't particularly like Feminite du Bois. Larimar- we have such similar taste - it's so weird. But really we do ! )
    For me, Feminite du Bois is a typical pre 2000 Lutens Scent - there a lots of notes blended into heavy layers that goes in and out of focus as it progresses throught the skin. Mimi, have you tried the new formulation under the Serge Lutens name? It seems a little bit less intense, maybe more friendly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Yes, Mimi, I was just thinking the same thing again when you posted our food likings recently

etoile, the Nombre Noir EdP sample wasn't really similar to Rose de Nuit, which is now my absolute favorite from the Lutens. Rose de Nuit has a warmth and 'lacquer and leather', as I put it , quality. The cedar must be a big player in NN and not much rose according to my nose, but I think I still have something left in my sample.
    subhuman, that add is yes, most striking! Thanks for posting.
    Rose de Nuit and Nombre Noir Edp drydown in a similar execution for me. Is the lacquer that you refer the aldehidic opening? Both seem to have the same structure, diverging from the kind of rose used. Also, i don`t get cedar (not now at least - since i have noticed that some lutens fragrances you don`t smell all the heavy notes everytime).

My impression is based on the mini of the edp that i have.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Larimar and Rick - Rose de Nuit is one of those scents that is really something special. For me, when a scent is that special - extra special- I can remember the very moments I first smelt it ,in entirety - the surroundings - it's like a video in my mind .....just like with Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue etc.... it's in the same realm for me .It's my personal indicator /'special scent alarm system ' .

Lacquered dark rose leather is what Rose de Nuit was on me- as I sat on one of the benches of that beautiful courtyard garden outside Palais Shiseido in Paris. Deep ,lush, broody ,unisex ,impossible to really describe well . I'll never forget it.
    If Nombre Noir is anything like that- Sergie needs to bring it back.

Re Feminite du Bois- I have tried the new version , Rick- it did not make any lasting impressions on me- I will try it again. I heard longevity is poor.

I thought niche houses did not advertise.

I didnt even think it was a Serge Lutens composition ? Eitherway I would love to try NN after all the praise it receives

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    I thought niche houses did not advertise.
    You have to consider that in case of Serge Lutens it`s a niche house supported by a commertial brand, in this case Shiseido. You see some ads for some Lutens, and i`m not sure if when Nombre Noire was launched we had this niche approach defined.

Post Thanks / Like

Larimar and Rick - Rose de Nuit is one of those scents that is really something special. For me, when a scent is that special - extra special- I can remember the very moments I first smelt it ,in entirety - the surroundings - it's like a video in my mind .....just like with Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue etc.... it's in the same realm for me .It's my personal indicator /'special scent alarm system ' .

Lacquered dark rose leather is what Rose de Nuit was on me- as I sat on one of the benches of that beautiful courtyard garden outside Palais Shiseido in Paris. Deep ,lush, broody ,unisex ,impossible to really describe well . I'll never forget it.
    If Nombre Noir is anything like that- Sergie needs to bring it back.

Re Feminite du Bois- I have tried the new version , Rick- it did not make any lasting impressions on me- I will try it again. I heard longevity is poor.
    Mimi, have you tried the old one too? Sincerly i prefer it over this one...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Mimi, have you tried the old one too? Sincerly I prefer it over this one...
    In a way , I dare not, Rick . It's extremely hard to find now and what there is on ebay is very expensive - I searched a couple of days ago. I could get a sample from TPC - but their prices are have been annoying me lately so I haven't bought anything from TPC this year...............

Rose de Nuit and Nombre Noir Edp drydown in a similar execution for me. Is the lacquer that you refer the aldehidic opening? Both seem to have the same structure, diverging from the kind of rose used.
    Sorry, I missed this! No, it is not the opening, but the heart where i get more a lacquer and leather vibe, a plastic feel than pure leather combined with the dark, winey rose.

Post Thanks / Like

In a way , I dare not, Rick . It's extremely hard to find now and what there is on ebay is very expensive - I searched a couple of days ago. I could get a sample from TPC - but their prices are have been annoying me lately so I haven't bought anything from TPC this year...............
    It`s a fragrance that frequently shows for better prices on ebay. I remember that i have already saw it for 50 dollars therem really a good price for an old frag.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this thread because I caved in and purchased a tiny, $$$$ mini. It was in a box, and it appears to have kept the fragile damascones reasonably well. It is, clearly, in the tradition of the glow in the dark roses of the seventies and eighties (Sinan and the like) with tons of the powerful damascones typical of the era, but over an elegant chypre-like base. The smell evokes a sort of distant familiarity-the smell of something familiar in the air from when I was a child. But relative to the other gaudy roses, this one smells supremely elegant, in part because of the chypre character, and in part because it is not only a rose. It's a sort of abstract flower close to a rose but veering off towards a sweetish, tea-like osmanthus. I'm not very good at dissecting notes, but the point is that one gets a unified impression of a flower rather than the notes per se. A flower that has the power of the damascone rose, but the refinement of osmanthus.

I don't own rose de nuit, so I cannot properly compare. But I didn't get the impression of an eighties rose, nor the sweetish osmanthus like character. I cannot think of anything close to it in current production, likely half of the materials are now banned and the style is out of fashion anyway. One can see some of the characters of the later Lutens style, the saturation, the fruity sweetness (here toned down). It does, indeed, smell like Lutens does the 80s rose, which is, indeed, what this is about.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's why I hesitate ever pulling the trigger on a sample of this on the rare occasion I see one, just because I heard this stuff degraded very quickly. That and Luca Turin is the master at hyping fragrances especially ones I often don't see the magic in.