Code of Conduct

Cool Is DRAKKAR NOIR still popular with the UNDER 30 crowd?

Drakkar Noir was my first fragrance, and I wore it a lot in the late 80s when I was in college. The smell was everywhere, and it seemed to be THE fragrance for any guy in the age 16-23 bracket back then. Is this still the case?

I'm in my early 40s now, and I've started wearing Drakkar like crazy again. I just love it. I'm probably dating myself by asking this question, but I'm curious as to what younger guys think of Drakkar these days. Is it considered an old fart's fragrance, or is it still somewhat cool? (I'm assuming it's the former ).
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Is DRAKKAR NOIR still popular with the UNDER 30 crowd?

My nephew who is in his early thirties wears and likes it a lot. I think the fragrance is great.

popular? imho no.

edit: but that doesn't mean it's not a good frag!
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I think it's one of those "acquired taste" fragrances, kind of like Joop!. I don't see age being a factor with DN, I've smelled this one older folks and younger. I even used to wear the older formula when I was in like middle school, I would steal a couple sprays from my dad's. I was in middle school in like 96, and even though I was no "cologneist" then, I surly remember it being A LOT stronger, mostly sharper.. it's smoother now I believe. All that aside though lol, to answer your question, I am 26 now, and I wear this when the mood is right.. but if going out, I tend to try to put it on at least 30 minutes before leaving, because it's still pretty powerful.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Short answer: NO.

Only 'cuz its scarcity make it less popular. But if they were to stock Drakkar Noir in Sephoras, I think it will sell pretty well as there are many boys out there who 'wanna smell like a real man'. Honestly I don't know which men they want to smell like. But the plastic showergel bottle design has gotta go.

Blog Entries

Actually it was quite popular when I was in high school, which was only about two or three years ago.

I wore Drakkar Noir for a bit, and then found it better alternatives. It's not the same Drakkar Noir that my dad wore, I will say that.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Ditto on the it was popular when I was in high school as well (mid 90's). I have been seeing it make a bit of a comeback within the YouTube video reviews.

To me, it was and I wore it during my late teens which coincided pretty much with the late 90s and early 2000s way after the powerhouse hype was gone, nevertheless, I wore it with great enjoyment at that age

I like it and remember it being popular back in the late 80's as well. Is it still popular amongst that age grouping? Probably not. You have to take into consideration the market is FLOODED with new scents fighting for shelf space and a lot of these depend heavily on marketing. The good news is, it came from an era where it is seen as something of a classic now and can be readily found in various stores. In short, it's stood the test of time because it didn't have as much competition. The chances of scents that have been released in the last five years to have the same longevity is pretty slim because of the sheer number of them.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Short answer: NO.

Only 'cuz its scarcity make it less popular. But if they were to stock Drakkar Noir in Sephoras, I think it will sell pretty well as there are many boys out there who 'wanna smell like a real man'. Honestly I don't know which men they want to smell like. But the plastic showergel bottle design has gotta go.
    Ummm, not sure what's in the Sephora's in Singapore, but in the USA - I've never been in a Sephora's that DOESN'T have Drakkar Noir on the shelf. It's in tons of Sephora's over here, as well as lots of other stores. So is the original Polo at every Sephora's.

However for some reason Sephora doesn't sell Drakkar online via their website.

Around here, the under-30s with whom it seems prominent are cholos/gangsters. It's most likely by default: the bottle is both recognizable and easy to steal. Azzaro Chrome follows.

Well I've just discovered this at 30 and I think it's a nice semi-powerhouse and enjoy it very much. It's not popular though.

In certain parts of the South.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th May 2011 at 07:38 AM.

I believe it's not a popular scent for the under 30 crowd, no.

Anything that has been released before these past 5 years is deemed old specially by the teens and even 20somethings.

Maybe some of the 25-30 somethings can appreciate more any kind of scent released years ago, but it's still very much an "80's cologne" for many.

Drakkar Noir is collecting dust nowadays in the fragrance shops here. If you look at sales figures for the younger crowd my guess it's flooded with 1 Million, aquatics or the latest Diesel and Hugo Boss offerings.
    Acqua di Gi˛ is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Don't seem to smell it too much around here. I'm 30 and I'll wear it every so often. My friend, who just got into cologne, is a few years younger and he wears it. So yes younger people can wear it.

Does it work on younger people? I've never received any comments, probably because it was so popular back in the day. However if I smell it once or twice a week I'm surprised. My wife who is either a vocal lover or hater of cologne, doesn't mention anything when I wear it.

If you want to throw things for a loop, try English Blazer, it is very very similar to Drakkar but has a citrusy opening and is more refreshing but otherwise across the board smells almost exactly the same. On occasion you can get some cheap (ignore the "Aftershave" on the lable, its strong stuff and lasts all day, though you can find an EDT from time to time).

Drakkar is one of my favorites, and was my signature in high school(I am 25). We are kind of behind the times here I seriously doubt anyone in a 50 mile radius even knows what 1 Million is. Curve, and Aqua Di Gio are still the shit here. I would say Drakkar still sells alright here, but probably with the over 30 crowd.

Yes.

I can say that Drakkar Noir is coming back in the 30 and under crowd for sure. It is not widespread yet, but when I smell it and ask someone about it they are almost always a fragrance buff.

As a matter of fact, I think the whole aromatic fougere genre is gaining strength again since men and women have grown tired of aquatics and super fruity fragrances. I wear Azzaro Pour Homme regularly and have never gotten so many compliments in my life.

Drakkar Noir is a classic that everyone can appreciate (when not oversprayed). I think the problem was that the super-strong formulations of the 80s, combined with the tendency of young people to overapply it killed what is a beautiful fragrance.

Now that a younger generation is approaching it without the emotional baggage of having gotten tired of it in the 80s and 90s it is in serious comeback mode. So wear Drakkar Noir with pride!

It is making a comeback as are many scents from the 1970's. I see it for sale on the Target fragrance wall and even at my local grocery. Drakkar Noir is a greener predecessor of Tom Ford Extreme but is about one tenth the price. Also making a comeback are many other scents from the 60's and 70's. Drakkar Noir was a top seller for years so its not surprising it might comeback - people like the way it smells. Bold, Powerful? Yes it is, so use it wisely my friend!

I'm a high school senior and I have a bottle of Drakkar Noir in my cycle. I'm not sure if it's popular or not because most of my friends and even classmates don't have any interest in colognes (out side of probably the typical high school scents), but I find it masculine and enjoyable to wear. Gotta' watch the trigger on that thing though. I usually go one or two sprays and I think it's great.

Some days it seems perfect. Other times it makes me think of Quagmire.

Is there anything from the modern era, ie; this decade, that smells anythign like it or was inspired by it?

I'm 26 and wear it, but only for memories. It's almost too weak to be usable anymore.

Just an aside: I was in a Boscov's Department Store (a regional chain roughly equivalent to Macy's) and some guy (30 something) went to the fragrance counter and picked up the Drakkar Noir and doused his body in the stuff. I never saw a guy spray his legs in a department store (or anywhere for that matter) before!

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Hahahaha

For me, DN is not something I have had any interest in wearing in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    Is there anything from the modern era, ie; this decade, that smells anythign like it or was inspired by it?
    Drakkar Noir means "black dragon ship" and is supposed to call up the dark wet wooden ships of viking raiders fame. There is a definite musty green mossy aspect to the fragrance. Drakkar reminds me of these modern scents - TF Extreme, Morabito Yachting and Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive. There are probably many more out there as well. Why? - Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir was such a milestone scent for mens fragrance - its gonna be inspirational to others.

Tom Ford Extreme smells kind of like Drakkar, but has an earthy mushroom fragranced moss note instead of Drakkar Noir's pure green moss. I prefer TF Extreme, but it is quite a bit more costly and I'm not sure it is worth the upgrade in price. Pascal Morabito has an aquatic version of Drakkar Noir called Yachting that smells mossy like DN but is lighter and fresher but I prefer Yachting as well to DN. Pascal Morabito fragrances can only be gotten through the mail from their Paris store - so they are kind of awkward to source. Also like Drakkar Noir is Bond No.9 Riverside Drive bears some slight resemblence to Drakkar Noir but it has fresher citrus and the moss base is basil + moss in Riverside instead of pine + moss in Drakkar Noir. Bond's Riverside is more sophisticated and not as potent but has a similar green mossy feeling to it. Riverside's moss base is more like a nighttime garden in the suburbs, whereas Drakkar Noir is deep in a pine woods "moss" or possibly deep in the cargo bay of a viking cargo vessel sailing off into the night.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 10th May 2011 at 04:20 PM.

DeepSilence

I'm 27, and i love it.
    About popularity, i don't think so.
    But it's still in best sellers in some websites...!!
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 11th May 2011 at 03:46 AM.

I don't smell it around me at all, on other people that is.

I used to wear it in the very late '80s too, and loved it. It made me feel great. I've still got a bottle from then, but I can't bring myself to wear it. It takes me back too strongly to that time in my life. I've worn Houbigant's Duc de Vervins and Francesco Smalto PH when I've wanted the Drakkar Noir vibe with out actually giving myself memories.

It used to be that I would smell Drakkar Noir in office building elevators all over DC; that and the smell of gin after lunches.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Recently been trying this out whenever I pass by Shoppers at night. I love its pine-fresh smell on spring nights.

My age is under 30 and I think I'll buy DN if I can find a 100mL for a cheaper price.

I've been trying it here in singapore (which seems dominted by hugo boss or clinique happy) and the number of compliments I've gotten from the (much younger than I am) girls was astounding - especially as they will normally never talk to any stranger no matter what. :P

When I first bought my little bottle of DN at a local discounter the big department store fragrance departments did carry it, but it was only in small boxes stored on back shelves that you practically had to be hunting for. They didn't even have a tester of the stuff. I don't even think my locacl Sephora had a tester out. A few months later (present day), as I browse stores I've noticed the opposite. They've now displayed DN prominantly in big 3.4 oz testers alongside every other designer bottle at both department stores and Sephora. To me this is a sign that it is gaining popularity amongst the masses again or shortly may.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Once upon a time someone on basenotes said something like this:

What would Jay (of Jay and Silent Bob) wear?
    Whatever he could steal from Shoppers, probably Drakkar Noir.

IMO, to be honest, it seems super dated, and yes, old-manish. My gf hated it when I tested and I wasn't impressed either.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Not even a little bit. It has redeeming qualities, but overall it's extremely dated and no one under 30 wears it. I remember first getting a free half used 50ml bottle from my Dad's Greek friend when I was in junior high, and prefferred Polo Sport, Nautica Competition, Hugo, XS, Platinum Egoiste at that time, and passed it along to another friend.

Nope, not popular at all with people under 30. It's a great fragrance, but smells dated on younger people, granted you ever get to smell it on a younger person.

A friend of mine who doesn't know any better put on a few sprays before meeting with some girls in their early twenties and they all couldn't get over how he smelled like a creepy old man. It reallly sucked to hear, 'cuz I love me some Drakkar Noir and I'm 25.
    Sales thread here

It's not somewhat cool, it's VERY cool! I'm 27 (so in the under 30 crowd) and love it. I did some fragrance research and discovered it that way - I was looking for a fragrance very similar to the first one that I ever owned (Yardley's English Blazer, and discovered Drakkar by reading that it was very similar, and it is). I love the drydown, but to be honest I find myself having to ride-out the slightly unpleasant opening. But the drydown's amazing! Seems chicks respond as well to it now as I imagine they did back when you wore it aswell? I'll keep this one in my rotation as long as they keep making it!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I definitely don't think it's old man-ish purely because it smells so bloody verile and tough qualities associated with youth, though, as everyone knows, you get loads of cool tough older badasses out there!

I wore this in high school in 1984. I remember getting a compliment on it from a very popular girl, who unfortunately got wrapped up in drugs and has passed away since then. I took it to college with me and a guy who was chatting with me in my dorm room went ga-ga over it and I just gave it to him...I remember him saying "Oh, Man...this stuff is sweet!" He is now a prominent surgeon!

All that said, my faves from the period were Polo, Aramis and Kouros...all hairy-chested beasts!

Still popular here because:
    1) it smells good
    2) you can pick it up cheap at Walmart, CVS, and the like
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Oh no, I don't like very common smells. The sole reason I don't own Paco 1 mill.

Too common = less interesting.

Too bad I never tried Drakkar Noir, it seems that it's one those must try scents even though one might not like it at all.

Fragrance has no age limits - wear what you like.

if $40 for 100ml of DN is not cheap then I'm off to Xerjoff diet. also there are so many DN rip-offs and smellalikes so you could measure popularity using those too.

I'm 28 and am not a fan at all. Really not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Drakkar Noir means "black dragon ship" and is supposed to call up the dark wet wooden ships of viking raiders fame. There is a definite musty green mossy aspect to the fragrance. Drakkar reminds me of these modern scents - TF Extreme, Morabito Yachting and Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive. There are probably many more out there as well. Why? - Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir was such a milestone scent for mens fragrance - its gonna be inspirational to others.

Tom Ford Extreme smells kind of like Drakkar, but has an earthy mushroom fragranced moss note instead of Drakkar Noir's pure green moss. I prefer TF Extreme, but it is quite a bit more costly and I'm not sure it is worth the upgrade in price. Pascal Morabito has an aquatic version of Drakkar Noir called Yachting that smells mossy like DN but is lighter and fresher but I prefer Yachting as well to DN. Pascal Morabito fragrances can only be gotten through the mail from their Paris store - so they are kind of awkward to source. Also like Drakkar Noir is Bond No.9 Riverside Drive bears some slight resemblence to Drakkar Noir but it has fresher citrus and the moss base is basil + moss in Riverside instead of pine + moss in Drakkar Noir. Bond's Riverside is more sophisticated and not as potent but has a similar green mossy feeling to it. Riverside's moss base is more like a nighttime garden in the suburbs, whereas Drakkar Noir is deep in a pine woods "moss" or possibly deep in the cargo bay of a viking cargo vessel sailing off into the night.
    Very interesting comparison with Riverside Drive. Never really thought about because RD is so much sweeter/fruitier...but, I can kind of see where you're coming from with the base. That masculine mossy base does bear some resemblance. Interestingly, DK was my first cologne & signature scent as a young teen in the early 90's. It became WAY too popular, however & every kid in the school was over-spraying the stuff to no end. I didn't smell it for many years & just recently gave it another whiff. I still like it, but not sure I'd wear it today b/c of my previous associations with it.

When I tested RD, I was immediately drawn to it and it's currently in my top 5 b/c of it's base. Maybe now I can understand why...

Is DRAKKAR NOIR still popular with the UNDER 30 crowd?

Hell naw.

A friend of mine put it on one day before getting in car with a bunch of ladies in their 20s and they were all like "OMG you smell like an old man." A huge exaggeration, but it reveals the truth.

I still think it's an amazing fragrance and a classic though.
    Sales thread here

It's interesting, I reckon aquatics will be an old mans scent for my generation when we get old (I'm in my 20s). The reason I say this is because older guys generally wear what they wore as young men, which I reckon is pretty cool. How many 70+ year olds wear Old Spice/Brut/Blue Stratos - lots of them - because it's what they grew up on from their teen years (to be honest though, I like those 3 scents too so I'm not poking fun at the taste of older men). By the time I'm about 80 (lets hope I get there), things like Old Spice and Acqua Di Gio and hell, maybe even Only The Brave, will all probably be equally old-manish to the teenagers...

Nope, not really. It's still called the "sexiest date fragrance" from time to time, but I don't see it. I wear it when I just want to spray something, or trigger the ol' "good memory" receptors.

I've been thinking a bit more on the topic, and I've come to a conclusion. Drakkar Noir is a fragrance equivilant of a Corvette Stingray, sure it's old, but it's powerful and timeless. For a young man to wear it it's no different to a young man driving a Stingray - and most people would think that was really cool rather than lame. This is my oppinion. Apparently some women think differently as mentioned above and that's cool too. But, like a classic car (it's a classic fragrance for sure) I don't see it as something that can date too easily. I mean, it could even be mistaken to a non-fragrance-enthusiast as generic deodrant marketed to teenage boys (it does have a similar general smell to those types of deodrants for sure)!