Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Question CREED at it again?

    It seems that CREED targets the consumer who has a lack of understanding of history, as well as fragrance.

    CREED seems to use deceptive advertising in order to get the attention of that ideal consumer.

    One way that they may be using deceptive advertising is with a man named "James". He is quite popular at another forum related to style, and newcomers to "style" look to "James" for guidance.

    He runs a blog at http://www.whatisjameswearing.com

    You will notice that he wears many brands when it comes to clothing and accessories (i.e. Tom Ford, Dior, and Gucci), but it seems that he only wears one fragrance brand. CREED.

    Why would someone who is quoted as being “THE ULTIMATE DANDY" wear only CREED fragrances?

  2. #2

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Yup, I despise this type of guerrilla/viral marketing. Puts me off the product. I find it offensively manipulative and condescending.

    But then again, the absurd 'history' of Creed is even more offensive.

  3. #3

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    So are you suggesting that Creed pays this guy to only wear their frags? Really, it wouldn't surprise me. It's business. I think you would be very surprised to find out how deep advertising actually runs.

  4. #4

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    I would just say that maybe James should get a real life instead of leading a contrived living for e props interweb lifestyle . He doesnt even dress that well , UGH its all so fucking contrived ...... NEXT ,,,,,,,,,,

  5. #5

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    I don't know about whether they pay him but since some months now or even a year he's been mentioning his perfume and its always Creed. I assumed he loves Creed.
    He dresses really nice. Turns out he's gay. See his latest kissy kissy entry lol.

  6. #6

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by spidersmooth View Post
    CREED seems to use deceptive advertising in order to get the attention of that ideal consumer.
    Like making sure every time their name is written in a forum, it is in capital letters?

  7. #7

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    I find the premise pretty weak. Do people actually go to this blog to get ideas on what to wear, or out of genuine cuiosity out of what this guy James is wearing? My apologies to the James fans here but honestly I doubt Creed is paying James to advertise his favorite Creeds. He's definitely not the ultimate dandy but he might just be in the runner-up category for ultimate internet narcissist.

    Quote Originally Posted by spidersmooth View Post
    One way that they may be using deceptive advertising is with a man named "James". He is quite popular at another forum related to style, and newcomers to "style" look to "James" for guidance.

    You will notice that he wears many brands when it comes to clothing and accessories (i.e. Tom Ford, Dior, and Gucci), but it seems that he only wears one fragrance brand. CREED.

    Why would someone who is quoted as being “THE ULTIMATE DANDY" wear only CREED fragrances?

  8. #8

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    Like making sure every time their name is written in a forum, it is in capital letters?
    Ha! That was funny.

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    78,277

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    This doesn't bother me in the least.

  10. #10

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    What the..? Seems like a real guy to me.

    Ok, fess up, which Basenoter re-did the Creed wiki entry : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_(perfume)

    Just saw that the boutique site posted a new pic of Olivier Creed at the Creed french workshop: http://blog.creedboutique.com/exclus...011-creations/
    -

  11. #11

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    I'd be interested in seeing his basenotes wardrobe. Maybe he is a member?

  12. #12

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    What is this... man?

  13. #13

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This doesn't bother me in the least.
    What he said. At the end of the day, it's about quality made fragrances that I like---and CREED, among others, delivers them.

    Martin

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I find the premise pretty weak. Do people actually go to this blog to get ideas on what to wear, or out of genuine cuiosity out of what this guy James is wearing? My apologies to the James fans here but honestly I doubt Creed is paying James to advertise his favorite Creeds. He's definitely not the ultimate dandy but he might just be in the runner-up category for ultimate internet narcissist.
    I have seen stranger behavior on the net than going to a site to see what some random guy is wearing. If you want to become terrified at consumerism, go on YouTube and view a 'haul' video. They are literally videos of women taking things out of shopping bags explaining what they bought on a given day. They get many thousands of views and there are a ton out there. I read about these a while back and was baffled by it. The strangest part is they don't just post on special occasions but rather about everything. I suppose I could almost understand posting because a woman was happy about picking up something from Louis Vuitton or something but these people are posting Target and Sephora videos. The people watching obviously have too much time on their hands.

  15. #15
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,300
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I have seen stranger behavior on the net than going to a site to see what some random guy is wearing. If you want to become terrified at consumerism, go on YouTube and view a 'haul' video. They are literally videos of women taking things out of shopping bags explaining what they bought on a given day. They get many thousands of views and there are a ton out there. I read about these a while back and was baffled by it. The strangest part is they don't just post on special occasions but rather about everything. I suppose I could almost understand posting because a woman was happy about picking up something from Louis Vuitton or something but these people are posting Target and Sephora videos. The people watching obviously have too much time on their hands.
    I never heard of such a thing, so of course I had to look. I picked one at random to watch.

    I just couldn't watch. After 2 minutes I felt my brain cells dying. My daughter, looking over my shoulder, said it was pathetic and left to go to bed.

    Okay, to each his or her own. Maybe they would find Basenotes equally boring.


  16. #16

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    +1 to the braincells dying watching "haul" videos. Life is more than shopping. If it isn't, that life is a pretty sad one.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

  17. #17

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    There is viral marketing and then there's viral anti-marketing. You have 7 posts spidersmooth and two of them seem to be warning us of the evil CREED empire.

  18. #18

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Creed just keeps perpetuating their historical "myth" and people buy it--both the myth and the fragrances. They are not the only company to put forth a "faux history." Our own the_good_life has some excellent blog articles on this particular marketing strategy: manufacturing the false history of a company.

    As for a true dandy, a true dandy would probably not be so slavish to one particular brand. The dandy revels in diversity of experiences: wines, women, horses, clothes. This is in an effort to inundate the senses with various types of pleasure. This definition, of course, depends on the definition of the dandy.

    James Andrew, IMO--judging by his choice to wear colours--is not of the ascetic, austere George Brummell variety. He is more of the "butterfly" type who prefers colours and has a zest for life.

    A dandy would, however, not be abashed to accept the payment of a fragrance house to wear their wares, so to speak. LOL! All the better to pay off those gambling debts and tailors bills.

    I have only one Creed to my name: Royal Delight. Creed hype aside, I would also like to someday buy Royal English Leather.

    Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    +1 to the braincells dying watching "haul" videos. Life is more than shopping. If it isn't, that life is a pretty sad one.
    According to the19th century English historian and philosopher Thomas Carlyle, the dandy is defined as a man whose sole purpose in life is to wear clothes. I guess this includes shopping for them.

    I prefer the dandy who goes bespoke and sets fashion trend by himself--no label-mongering and dropping of designer names.

    I think the idea of the paper doll is amusing! I guess it's the goal of every soi-disant dandy to aspire to have his image made into paper dolls.
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th February 2011 at 02:36 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  19. #19

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by spidersmooth View Post
    One way that they may be using deceptive advertising is with a man named "James". He is quite popular at another forum related to style, and newcomers to "style" look to "James" for guidance.

    He runs a blog at http://www.whatisjameswearing.com
    Its David Arquette doing a BRUNO sequel.
    I smell marshmallows!

  20. #20

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    I sometimes flipped through his blog for a laugh, but actually taking a look at this home (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1905070) and reading the interview, the image i had of him as being a bit of a prick-ly or prissy attention whore is now more of a bit of a joie-du-vie dandy.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  21. #21

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    There is viral marketing and then there's viral anti-marketing. You have 7 posts spidersmooth and two of them seem to be warning us of the evil CREED empire.
    +1 Agreed.

  22. #22

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I have seen stranger behavior on the net than going to a site to see what some random guy is wearing. If you want to become terrified at consumerism, go on YouTube and view a 'haul' video. They are literally videos of women taking things out of shopping bags explaining what they bought on a given day. They get many thousands of views and there are a ton out there. I read about these a while back and was baffled by it. The strangest part is they don't just post on special occasions but rather about everything. I suppose I could almost understand posting because a woman was happy about picking up something from Louis Vuitton or something but these people are posting Target and Sephora videos. The people watching obviously have too much time on their hands.
    This is terrifying. There's a PHD thesis lurking in here somewhere, I'm thinking Lacanian gaze of the Other plus capitalist consumer anxiety.

  23. #23

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    There is viral marketing and then there's viral anti-marketing. You have 7 posts spidersmooth and two of them seem to be warning us of the evil CREED empire.
    Right on. Spidersmooth is acting an awful lot like a creepy paid social media consultant. Please go away now.

  24. #24

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    Its David Arquette doing a BRUNO sequel.
    Simply perfect.

  25. #25

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Right on. Spidersmooth is acting an awful lot like a creepy paid social media consultant. Please go away now.
    Yeah, and he's rushing it. Seduce us first that you're really into frags. Get some posts in other people's threads. Chat up Guerlain, Dior Homme, Bond No. 9, Musc Ravageur...spew a little love for A*Men or Le Male. Tell us 1 million is too sweet. Spend a little time with us. Then start your secret mission when we've all been lulled into thinking you were just another fume head.

  26. #26

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I sometimes flipped through his blog for a laugh, but actually taking a look at this home (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/1905070) and reading the interview, the image i had of him as being a bit of a prick-ly or prissy attention whore is now more of a bit of a joie-du-vie dandy.
    That blog is hilarious.

    Is this guy someone's attempt at creating an 'Old Spice Guy' for the designer and niche market? I don't think I can accept it is real. He may not be a Creed plant but he is some kind of marketing thing.

  27. #27

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    That blog is hilarious.

    Is this guy someone's attempt at creating an 'Old Spice Guy' for the designer and niche market? I don't think I can accept it is real. He may not be a Creed plant but he is some kind of marketing thing.
    I didn't thoroughly pour through the blog and I don't know how popular it is. My guess would be if anything, he went to Creed and offered to flog their stuff in exchange for some free juice. I seriously doubt Creed courted him and gives him any substantial money to plug their product.

  28. #28

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    he is some kind of marketing thing.
    Ick. Horrible.

  29. #29

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I didn't thoroughly pour through the blog and I don't know how popular it is. My guess would be if anything, he went to Creed and offered to flog their stuff in exchange for some free juice. I seriously doubt Creed courted him and gives him any substantial money to plug their product.
    You are probably right about him not being a Creed plant. Creed can just say they used to supply perfumes to some princess or king a hundred and fifty years ago and no one is none the wiser. This isn't a stab at Creed - I actually find it quaintly amusing when they do this instead of letting the juice speak for itself - which it certainly can.

  30. #30

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescentment View Post
    You are probably right about him not being a Creed plant. Creed can just say they used to supply perfumes to some princess or king a hundred and fifty years ago and no one is none the wiser. This isn't a stab at Creed - I actually find it quaintly amusing when they do this instead of letting the juice speak for itself - which it certainly can.
    There are some rules about bloggers disclosing freebies but I've no idea if anyone actually follows/enforces them.

  31. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    That guy James - for someone so into style, he needs to work on his blog. It looks like utter shyte.

  32. #32

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yeah, and he's rushing it. Seduce us first that you're really into frags. Get some posts in other people's threads. Chat up Guerlain, Dior Homme, Bond No. 9, Musc Ravageur...spew a little love for A*Men or Le Male. Tell us 1 million is too sweet. Spend a little time with us. Then start your secret mission when we've all been lulled into thinking you were just another fume head.
    Hilarious especially the part in bold.

  33. #33
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,368

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Oh God...not another Creed thread again...

  34. #34

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    im slowly, but steadily started to believe...the omnipresense of creed sales rep here.. i think, their eventual goal is to have everyone tired, and give up a sticky thread which just talks about creed and hence would always appears on top of list and on front page..

  35. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: CREED at it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    im slowly, but steadily started to believe...the omnipresense of creed sales rep here.. i think, their eventual goal is to have everyone tired, and give up a sticky thread which just talks about creed and hence would always appears on top of list and on front page..
    Creed isn't twisting anyone's arm to read threads with CREED in the title. Somehow all the people who are tired of Creed threads seem completely unable to resist reading them and commenting. If you dislike Creed and/or are unbearably tired of Creed threads, why not read one of the other 65 recent threads that have absolutely nothing to do with Creed?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 103
    Last Post: 7th March 2011, 08:01 AM
  2. autographed CREED WINDSOR and SPICE & WOOD signed by Erwin Creed!!!
    By bjork728 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th November 2010, 12:39 AM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 5th June 2009, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •